Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

didn't we agree that as long as there were emulators and living hobby computers out there, a -tan was considered "alive"? :\

@aurora: we all do crazy things when we're tired. :\ on the bright side, things look nice, though might i suggest putting a picture of that background with all those vistas to demonstrate just how many there were? ^^;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I imagine it's sorta like trying to summon a spirit back from the dead in Voodoo.  They have every right to say 'Oh hell no, I'm not coming back'.

NejinOniwa

Well, in the case of emulation and such, that is the case.
When ACTUAL necromancy comes into play, however, the -tan has precious little say about it.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Actual necromancy is a completely different field of study then Voodoo.

Aurora Borealis

I agree with each of you. Necromancy is rare in the OS-tanverse, as the only deceased OS-tan that has completely came from the dead AFAIK is Multics, since Multics became open source in '07. Also story-wise, Multics is Plan 9's grandmother and thought it'd be cool to bring a newly open-sourced OS-tan from the dead, but didn't know that Multics is the mother of her sworn enemy... Unix!

I'm pretty sure Colossus came back from the dead too. While we're at it, CTSS-tan could be resurrected too since CTSS was open sourced and emulators have been built, but I'm guessing she might not be resurrected for story purposes.

But most of the other deceased still live on and can be contacted through emulation. Either way, most 'deceased' OS-tans aren't completely dead.

NejinOniwa

Well, ofc, since it involves dabbling with hardware, which emulation vodoo does not.
Though while their natures are very different, the results or intents can be very similar...

Yes, Colossus and Multics are the only -tans that have come back from the dead 4realz, as it stands. I think.

Bella

Relevant to this thread? (Now that I've found the right one) >>

This was drawn in mid-July, so, it's REALLY out of date. For instance:

-It's been established that SAGE-tan = AN/FSQ-7 computer and whatever software it ran
-Likewise, CTSS-tan represents the OS and the modified IBM 7094 hardware on which it ran
-PDP 1-tan is only the "mother"/genetic ancestor of the 18-bit PDP lineup (PDP-4, -7, -9 and -15) the other PDP-tans descended from LINC, PDP-8, -6, and -11
-I'm not sure what, if any, influence CP/CMS had on later generations of IBM-tans

Aurora Borealis

Excellent! So true that Unix and Linux have too many descendants to count, and separate trees would be needed for them. DOS-11 stole RSX-tan from her biological mother?! Now I'm really curious about that! Please elaborate!

A few more I'd add if you plan on making an updated version:

-Altair influenced IMSAI 8080, though they're rivals.
-IMSAI 8080 was also the mentor to DR-DOS (CP/M)
-I don't see any mention of the Data Generals, but the Nova influenced Apple I.
-BESYS's life was sacrificed for Multics' creation, and UMES's life was sacrificed for MTS' creation.
-Apple III and Lisa influenced the Classic Mac OS.
-A/UX is a stepsister to the Classic Macs, and a presumably a cousin to the OSXs, highly influenced by the former.
-NeXTSTEP and Rhapsody are sisters.

NejinOniwa

Aside from Good Job, I only have this to say:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH CHARTS

Chocofreak13

*vein*

THIS
BELONGS
IN
THE
THEORY
THREAD
ERRGH
>__<
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

UMES was sacrificed for no one, least of all MTS.  She just plain old died.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on April 10, 2011, 03:28:37 PM
UMES was sacrificed for no one, least of all MTS.  She just plain old died.

I TOLD YOU GUYS! I TOLLLLLD YOUUUUUUU~

Aurora Borealis

Okay. I rewrote the section on her death, though I really liked the OS-tan sacrifice theory.

Another article I did a rewrite of was Stratus VOS-tan.

Chocofreak13

S-VOS sounds kinda pretentious/stuck up. (the "true heir" mentality)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

She is pretty stuck-up, but she feels like she's been lied to for much of her life. Even if she's wrong, that feeling of being lied to isn't a nice feeling to have. She does mission-critical jobs and would also like some recognition for her efforts, and she seems to be all alone too.

Actually, I can't recall if in her Annex bio she thinks she's THE true heir, or A true heir (just as much as Unix is) but was screwed over by alleged enemies.