Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

There's no set standard, as far as I can tell; Aurora started the Technical Details-Character Details-History article layout IIRC, it just seemed to make the most sense so I started using it too and the next thing you know, half the wiki is formatted that way. ^^;

Since you brought up the question of style guidelines, I do have something I'd like to ask about since it's been on my mind for awhile: do you suppose there should be some sort of special guideline for articles on characters who, well, don't really have much in the way of history or background? There's no shortage of "one-shot" characters and designs without full backstories, and I'd rather avoid having that "history and background" section in an article if it's never going to be filled... : /

NejinOniwa

I don't know if it's just me, but I always include a section on magical powers at the end of my articles.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I think it's just you Nej. I like the idea, but it wouldn't work for most of my characters because I'm not all that technical in classifying their powers. ^^;;;

Though as of late, I HAVE been including a sub-section detailing special powers for applicable characters.

Tsubashi

@Bella Good point. It makes sense to have a History and Background section only for sufficiently developed characters. I do, however, like the " Fanworks" section you included in the ILLIAC article. A kind of "reference" section.
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

Added a short page on OMEGA, with some info.

A short note: Would WITCH be classified as a Mainframe? IDK which category to put her in.

One thing I also think we should definitely add to the wiki: Stories! Just add it as a tab below "list of OS-tans" for easy browsing. That's also a natural start of categorizing character appearances in various fics/comics.

Bella

Quote from: Tsubashi on December 12, 2012, 05:13:59 PM
@Bella Good point. It makes sense to have a History and Background section only for sufficiently developed characters. I do, however, like the " Fanworks" section you included in the ILLIAC article. A kind of "reference" section.

Okay, it's good to know I'm not alone in thinking that. As for the Fanworks section, ILLIAC-tan's isn't filled out yet, but you can check out RISC OS-tan's for an example of how it'll look when links have been added: http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php?title=RISC_OS

Quote from: NejinOniwa on December 12, 2012, 05:14:18 PM
Added a short page on OMEGA, with some info.

A short note: Would WITCH be classified as a Mainframe? IDK which category to put her in.

Thanks for making that article, it's good to have some idea what OMEGA is. ^^;

I'd go with mainframe, even though it's not technically correct that's the category that all the large scale system-tans have gone in so far (mainframes, early computers, super computers, etc).

QuoteOne thing I also think we should definitely add to the wiki: Stories! Just add it as a tab below "list of OS-tans" for easy browsing. That's also a natural start of categorizing character appearances in various fics/comics.

Do you mean, a section for documenting various stories? We already have one, although it's a bit undeveloped at the moment: http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php?title=OSC_Literature_and_Manga_Guide

NejinOniwa

Added Beyond ULTRA Secret to the Literature guide and expanded some chapters, and added Colossus and WITCH to their category page.

Also, what do you guys say on making little summary pages on the stories, like we have for the comics?

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on December 12, 2012, 05:42:50 PM
Added Beyond ULTRA Secret to the Literature guide and expanded some chapters, and added Colossus and WITCH to their category page.

Also, what do you guys say on making little summary pages on the stories, like we have for the comics?

Excellent! And yes, I've been meaning to add summaries to the section but haven't gotten around to it.

LGP-30-tan: http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php?title=LGP-30

Chocofreak13

@tsu: i started formatting them that way because i looked at ME-tan's article and it looked like that. though i tend to cut out the "history" part, just folding it into the character details section.
thanks btw. i'll do my best, but my teacher's pretty damn vague about what makes something good. >>;

@nej, bella: i'm going to hope that section is only for stuff made by us, given that if we were to even attempt to catagorize all the canon os-tan manga in the gallery, i don't think even the 3 of us could accomplish it within a week. >>;

@bella: if a character doesn't have a history, the history section shouldn't exist. no sense having a line with nothing under it. >>;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

@K: There's a disclaimer at the bottom of the page saying just that, so there's no need to worry about other works.

Chocofreak13

kk. if asked, i'll provide a short description of the os-tan comiket, but tbh i wouldn't really know where to start on that.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 12, 2012, 09:22:10 PM
@tsu: i started formatting them that way because i looked at ME-tan's article and it looked like that. though i tend to cut out the "history" part, just folding it into the character details section.

Yeah, I've been including the history section in the character details section if a character doesn't have a very long, well-documented history. Speaking from experience on articles I've written, characters like Unix, Multics, SAGE and Linux-tan have very long, well-documented histories (in fact, Multics, Linux and Unix-tan's history sections are actually in dire need of expansion!) but others just don't have much written about them. :/ I'm not including the history section if a character doesn't have one now.

I want to make an article for oN-Line System (aka NLS)-tan and Berkeley Timesharing System-tan~

Also I have to finish up PC12-tan's article. But I'm stuck on certain details, like her work history and physical appearance... ;u;

Chocofreak13

she never got a physical description? isn't that basically the first part of -tanning? :\

as for the history section, like i said, if it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. though we could found a whole seperate project to give history to -tans without it. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 14, 2012, 03:41:55 AM
she never got a physical description? isn't that basically the first part of -tanning? :\

That's the thing, I have a physical description for her but no color scheme. ><;;

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 14, 2012, 03:41:55 AMas for the history section, like i said, if it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. though we could found a whole seperate project to give history to -tans without it. :\

It's a good idea, and reminds me of a thread Aurora made years ago that was aimed at giving background/one-shot characters backstories. But some -tans are based on systems that are so obscure that there's really not much written about their histories.... : (

Chocofreak13

that's where the theories thread comes into play. what i always encouraged there was less a discussion and more a courthouse-style meeting to come to a concensus on uncertain aspects of OS-tan, such as the world, their powers, a class system, etc. stuff that is accepted in all canon. in the case of -tans/-kuns that are based off computers that have little to no history available, we discuss in the history thread till we come to an agreement about certain aspects of their personality/history/backstory/etc.

if she has no colour scheme, try looking up pics of the computer itself and go from there? (HT-tan's colours were imagined that way, with wood-brown hair and antique dial-beige eyes. :3)
click to make it bigger