Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Chocofreak13

dustii's zealous talk of windows 8 and the creation of the article for it is getting me hyped up to clean up some articles and fix up some of the os-kun articles. (poor kyourou only has 3 sentences and a picture....) hopefully i'll get to it today, but i might save it for friday since i have homework and i can just put svu on in the background. =w=
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Theres a topic for this! how about that...

@chocofreak13: i didnt CREATE an article for 8, i merely overhauled it (it was old, outdated, very uninformative, & it was a stub)

i ALSO created a page for claudia (Windows Azure) (Is a stub, needs more information)

Oh, and updated Windows 8
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Bella

I was on such a wiki-writing kick! But I think I burned myself out.... :L

Chocofreak13

@dustii: copying my colour trend....? >w>
that said, it's a moot point saying you didn't create it. you worked on it. who cares. (though, if it was a stub with <5 sentences, that sort of counts as "creation" in my book.)

@bella: i think that's what happened when i was writing them awhile back. :\

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Once I get back to writing my story, I plan on finishing up the page on Neptune-tan.

Although, I might scour around for some info on Fedora-tan (The character) and make a page for her sometime soon

Nichi

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question.

Does anybody know if there's an annex bio for Fedora-tan? I looked in the Wiki, but didn't see one

Bella

A quick check of Ye Olde Annex Project Thread reveals there's no annex bio for Fedora-tan.

EDIT: I've been thinking of making some table/list of OS-tan type traits (for different hardware, software and OS-tan types - for example, timesharing systems, real time systems, single-user computers, mainframes, database systems, etc). Does this sound like something that'd be useful for the wiki?

Aurora Borealis

@Pentium: No Annex bio for her, but some details to suggest:

-She is RedHat-tan's younger sister who is also sort of her successor too. Fedora was released in 2003, the same year that the original RedHat Linux, originally a general user OS got discontinued. RedHat Linux was replaced with RedHat Enterprise Linux, which is business and server-oriented. RedHat-tan got a career as a business woman. Fedora-tan was raised by her to be a general user OS, filling the niche RedHat-tan was originally in.

-Her origins were humble but she rose to great success.

-Her main rivals would be Ubuntu, Linux Mint, the current OSX version and current Windows version. Fedora, along with Ubuntu and Linux Mint are three of the most popular general user Linux OSes who are also on the cutting-edge when it comes to software. Fedora has a new version every 6 months and includes the latest software, even if it's not as stable as the older build.

-She has a zest for life, sense of initiative and eager to be the first to start a trend or adapt technology, but can be brash and a bit reckless, sometimes compromising stability for the latest software. In this regard, she has outpaced her older sister, who values stability more, but turns to her to know about the latest trends in technology!

-Being on the cutting edge, she'd also see the current OSX and Windows-tans as rivals. Red Hat-tan is also just as competitive, but her main rivals are SCO Unix, possibly also Solaris, SuSE (which also has an Enterprise version) and is more focused on keeping her rank in the Linux/Unix Consortium. Fedora also has a high rank in the LUC, but cares less about that and is more focused on the computing world at large.

@Bella: That sounds interesting. What do you have in mind specifically? Maybe we could discuss some of this in the theories thread.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on November 02, 2012, 10:42:13 PM@Bella: That sounds interesting. What do you have in mind specifically? Maybe we could discuss some of this in the theories thread.

I'm actually not sure yet. I'm torn between doing a rather dry and informative list, a more whimsical "job-description"-like write-up, or just jotting down some of my thoughts on the subject. :z You're right though, we should probably take any discussion of this to the Theories thread.

Chocofreak13

created 3.1-kun's article. currently working on 98-kun, and will do the remaining -kuns i can tomorrow. considering creating -kun articles for norton and trend micro.

also, is it possible to rename the list of os-kuns to "List of OS-kuns"? we have a "List of OS-tans", which is linked to in damn near every article with [[list of OS-tans]], but i tried to do the same for the -kuns and it redlinked me. :\
[/list]
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

....what is that "[/list]" tag at the end? i didn't type it, and every time i try to get rid of it, it reappears. ><;

anyway, i've been working on the -kun articles and i've been noticing that a good deal of the regular -tan articles could use some cleaning. (shouldn't we be cleaning the existing articles before making new ones....?)

that said, i came across an article (well, stub is more accurate) for
    OSX-tan, which, frankly, is pathetic. i was going to update it when pent drew my attention to theMac OS article, which is basically OSX-tan in a nutshell. i have seen very few designs of the OSX-tan described in the article (the one with the long hair and the beret), and was wondering if we could please merge these articles.

i might also take it upon myself to clean up some of the articles we have (addition of pictures for infoboxes, addition of technical details sections to articles, removal of outdated information, etc). though it'd be nice to have a little help. >>;
    click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: Good work with 3.1-kun's article!

A lot of articles really do need some clean-up, and I agree that the OSX-tan and Mac-tan articles should be merged. That old OSX-tan design that's not used anymore could be mentioned in a new section in the Mac-tan article, something like 'other character designs'. I've seen some other one-shot OSX-tan designs and could include those too.

EDIT: 98-kun's and 98SE-kun's articles are pretty good, but don't suggest that 98SE-kun is gay just because of his appearance. Not all gay men are effeminate, and not all effeminate men are gay.

stewartsage

Sounds like some formatting in the article itself is triggering the generation of it then.

Nichi

I just made the article for Fedora-tan, before the info from Aurora in this topic got buried (And also bringing up something from RedHat-tan's bio that ties in)

Any thoughts?
    I plan on getting a better pic up there later, but for now, I think it'll do