Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Ahh, okay. I really wasn't sure if the PDP-8 OSes were supposed to be their biological or adoptive children.

Any reason why LINC and PDP-8-tan consider their OSes kids?

Aurora Borealis

Bella

Thanks for adding to that. ^^ I'd been meaning to expand on it but I didn't have anything... u.u

Bella

Something I've been mulling for awhile: Do you think we should have a brief section in the character articles to discuss the real-world background of characters? Such as circumstances of creation, creators involved, canon/fanon revisions to the characters, etc. I know some articles have something approaching this (for instance, discussion of different artists' personifications of one system - for instance, Leopard-tan's and Linux-tan's articles), but very few have mentions of the circumstances under which a character is created or creators.

Bella

Re-wrote RSX-tan's article with updated character information:

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/RSX

I left out her personality though, since that's still under (re)development.

Also, I didn't list her human name since recently-uncovered information has called into question whether or not she should bear the surname "Cutler". As it turns out, RSX-11 is based on an older PDP-15 OS called RSX-15, which Dave Cutler played no part in creating.

Aurora Borealis

Well done! I didn't know that RSX's origins were so humble, and that she spent time working in factories and offices before rising to greatness! However, I thought VAXELN was created in the 1990's, shortly before DEC's demise? Also wasn't it originally intended for alchemy to run in the DEC family, but now I think about it, most of the DECs don't seem like the type who would use sorcery in battle, preferring melee combat instead.

Bella

I've been working on developing the DEC OS-tan's personalities better, since I created them yeaaaaaars ago and in hindsight a lot of them are on the simplistic side. After all, in the time since I first envisioned RSX-tan, I've learned a TON more about the actual OS - I should incorporate those findings into its -tan.

For instance, i didn't know that RSX-11 actually originated on the PDP-15, or that it started off as a simple paper-tape executive when I first designed RSX-tan. It just makes sense that RSX-tan would have started off as a low-level employee, and slowly become more and more (physically, magically AND socially) powerful as she gained ever more high-profile work. At the peak of her career, she would have rivaled RSTS-tan in terms of popularity - even though RSTS-tan was BORN into a somewhat high position (reflecting RSTS's place as the flagship PDP-11 timesharing system) and RSX started off as a mere plebeian. ^^;

It's also interesting to note that RT-11-tan would have also been born into a somewhat low social rank (reflecting RT-11's role as mainly as a data acquisition/process control system - it was never meant to be a big, full-feature OS with multitasking, multiuser or time-sharing capabilities). And for the most part, RT-11-tan STAYED in that position ... it really does shed light on her glum personality and tendency toward introversion.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 08, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
However, I thought VAXELN was created in the 1990's, shortly before DEC's demise?
My timeline must've been messed up - VAXELN was actually created in 1987.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 08, 2012, 10:40:58 PMAlso wasn't it originally intended for alchemy to run in the DEC family, but now I think about it, most of the DECs don't seem like the type who would use sorcery in battle, preferring melee combat instead.

I think I botched that statement pretty badly. >< I meant to suggest that the majority of DEC-tans don't employ sorcery in battle.

Aurora Borealis

Good finds! A week or two ago, I added some more info to Lisa's backstory, and rewrote part of A/UX's article for quality control, but need to add more of her backstory.

It's interesting that despite being pretty informal, the DEC faction had a hierarchy that every DEC-tan was born into, but it's good that some of them achieved upward mobility. :)

Bella

It's not just present in DEC culture though - I imagine an OS-tan's use would play a role in their social status. That is to say, timesharing and multi-user os-tans would be more prone to higher social positions and extroversion, while single-user systems would be more introverted and process control and data-acquisition systems would generally have more blue-collar-ish jobs than their timesharing and multi-user system counterparts.

But I'll stop here ... I think this is a discussion better left for the Theories thread.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 09, 2012, 01:21:40 AM
Good finds! A week or two ago, I added some more info to Lisa's backstory, and rewrote part of A/UX's article for quality control, but need to add more of her backstory.

I'll go check out their articles right away. ^.^

I'm working on RT-11-tan's article and want to redo RSTS-tan's as well. I'd also like to bring Ultrix-tan's article up-to-date, and work on BSD-sama's too. x.x

Bella

stewartsage

Bella

I'm workin' on RSTS-tan's article~

Bella

I FINALLY made a partial article for Wimex!

I don't know why it took me so long to tackle this one, but I guess the timing was good, 'cause it coincides with my Cuban Missile Crisis 50th Anniversary Celebration. (Which has, thus far, been observed with cake and general gratitude that I'm not currently living in an apocalyptic hellscape).

Er... getting back onto topic... ^^'

Here are some other things I worked on:
-Update of Ultrix-tan's article. Still need to complete the history section. @Aurora, would you happen to have a larger version of the avatar used there? I really like it and would like to keep it, but the res is too low. : (
-Started an article for DOS/360, using information I gathered from Stew. History section still needs to be completed.
-Complete article for TENEX-tan, though I'd like to pick out a human name and weapon/power for her.
-Filled out history section in LINC-tan's article.
-Updated OS/8's article

Aurora Borealis

Great job with all of that! :D I don't have a 200x200 version of Ultrix's avatar pic yet, but since the original is a vector, I can make the scaled up version with no problem.

Bella