Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: It might not be that hard, now that I got the first one mostly figured out. First we need to determine what categories should be used. So far, I have in mind:

Apple (Pre-Macintosh, Classic Mac, OSX, other), DEC (subdivisions by lineage), DOS, and Unix (subdivisions not yet determined; either BSD, SysV, hybrid and Research Unix branches, or proprietary vs. Open Source).

The IBM category will be one of the hardest. Among its subdivisions would be: Personal Computer (PC-DOS, OS/2), Mainframe (various hardware-based), Mainframe OSes, ancestors (GMOS, other 40's and 50's IBM systems plus the 1890's tabulating computer made by what would later become IBM). I'm not sure if there should be other subdivisions, like to divide up the mainframe and mainframe OS categories further.

Nichi

As a suggestion, you might want to consider adding a dash or something between the names of the -tans; so it's easier to read. Here's an example from Wikipedia of what I'm talking about.

That's my only suggestion so far. It's a good start, otherwise ^_^

Bella

I can help with the DEC and Unix parts.

Personally, I'd lump all the IBM mainframe hardware AND OSes together  ... not sure if that'd be best though...

Aurora Borealis

@Pentium: Thanks! I added the dashes.

@Bella: Okay. For the Unix section, what set of subdivisions do you think is better?

Bella

I'm leaning toward having BSD, System V, Research Unix, Hybrid and Non-Linux Unix-like branches.

Propriety and Open Source branches could get very messy very quickly, since many Unixes that started off as proprietary became open-sourced later in life. Not to mention the fact that some Unix-tans (Solaris-tan, for example) can be considered both proprietary and open-sourced at the same time!

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: Good point. Can you help me with what Unixes are in what subdivision? There are some I'm not sure about, and some I may have left out.

BSD: Ultrix, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Evoke (Damn Small BSD), NeXTSTEP, Mac OSX, OliveBSD, DragonflyBSD

SysV: HP-UX, AIX, Amiga Unix, UnixWare, SCO Unix

Hybrid: SunOS/Solaris (Sun OS= BSD-based, Solaris = SysV-based, and they are the same character)

Research Unix: Bell Labs Unix, Plan 9, Plan B, Inferno, Octopus

Unix-like (not including Linux): OS-9, QNX, Xinu

unsure: MERT, CB Unix, Xenix (1.0 is Version 7-based, 2.x is SysV-based), IRIX ("based on Unix System V with BSD extensions"), A/UX (SysV-based with features from BSD)

Bella

MERT and CB Unix would be considered Research Unices (in that they were Bell Labs produced). IRIX, Xenix and A/UX I'd classify as "Hybrids" - or you might want to expand the Hybrid section as Hybrid and Other, since there's a good chance that many non-BSD or SysV Unices are actually a mix of SysV and BSD code.

There's also PWB Unix, another Research Unix, but i'm not sure if that system was ever -tanned (I know Stew talked about it tho...). Minix and The HURD are two for the Unix-Like category.

Aurora Borealis

Thanks for clearing that up. So now we have:

BSD: Ultrix, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Evoke (Damn Small BSD), NeXTSTEP, Mac OSX, OliveBSD, DragonflyBSD, Midnight BSD

SysV: HP-UX, AIX, Amiga Unix, UnixWare, SCO Unix

Hybrid and other: SunOS/Solaris, A/UX, IRIX, MilaX (fka: Damn Small Solaris)

Research Unix: Bell Labs Unix, Plan 9, Plan B, Inferno, Octopus, MERT, CB Unix, PWB Unix (if character exists)

Unix-like (not including Linux): OS-9, QNX, Minix

------

more I'm not sure of: FreeSBIE, RoFreeSBIE, GNU/HURD, TUNIS, Nexenta, Weenix, Tynix, Xinu

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 23, 2012, 03:31:13 PM
more I'm not sure of: FreeSBIE, RoFreeSBIE, GNU/HURD, TUNIS, Nexenta, Weenix, Tynix, Xinu

FreeSBIE and RoFreeSBIE are BSDs.

HURD is a Unix-Like.

Weenix, Tynix, TUNIS and Xinu are all early Unix clones, which I think would put them in the category of Hybrid/Other.

Nexenta I'm really not all that familiar with, though I do recall it's based on both Solaris and Ubuntu ... which I think is enough to qualify it for "Other" status.

Aurora Borealis

Got the template started!

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Template:Unix-tans

I was also thinking about adding a subsection for related information, such as a link to the Unix Family faction, and another to the Linux/Unix Consortium, and one to the Unix Wars if that gets made too.

Bella

Bella

Did an enormous re-write of Whirlwind's and SAGE-tan's articles.

Though SAGE's is still a work in progress.

Aurora Borealis

Both articles look great!

It sounds about right that Whirlwind-tan would have been adopted since she's an OS-tan and not a hardware-tan, which were regarded as separate species, with hybrid systems bridging the gap. But that raises the question with the DEC-tans, are the OS-tans of each of the DEC minicomputer-tans their daughters by blood or not? Maybe genetic engineering later on made deriving an OS-tan from a hardware-tan possible?

The new info also answered the question of who looked after GENIAC-tan after SAGE had to leave. So GENIAC likely would have fallen into a coma when Whirlwind died or became too sick to look after her.

I created early first drafts for TX-0 and MTC:

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/TX-0
*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Memory_Test_Computer

I wasn't sure if I should put anything under the Family and relationships section yet for TX-0, because some info was proposed as theories, but I don't know if any of it is confirmed yet.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on September 01, 2012, 11:27:44 PM
Both articles look great!

It sounds about right that Whirlwind-tan would have been adopted since she's an OS-tan and not a hardware-tan, which were regarded as separate species, with hybrid systems bridging the gap. But that raises the question with the DEC-tans, are the OS-tans of each of the DEC minicomputer-tans their daughters by blood or not? Maybe genetic engineering later on made deriving an OS-tan from a hardware-tan possible?

Do you mean that CTSS-tan would have been adopted? The species thing is part of it, but also CTSS really didn't have much of a conceptual relationship with Whirlwind to begin with. Though you can make an (anecdotal) argument that CTSS was distantly related to SAGE, since CTSS' hardware (the IBM 7094) was kind of/sort of a solid-state AN/FSQ-7 (SAGE's hardware).

To be honest, I'm really not sure how the PDP-tans relate to their OSes. There seems to be some sort of relationship between LINC, PDP-8 and the PDP-8 OSes, but I really don't imagine there's much of a relationship between the others .... I've always envisioned the PDP-tans more as CREATORS of their OSes, rather than parents.

QuoteThe new info also answered the question of who looked after GENIAC-tan after SAGE had to leave. So GENIAC likely would have fallen into a coma when Whirlwind died or became too sick to look after her.

I'm pretty sure that Stew's stories stated that Whirlwind-tan cared for GENIAC after SAGE left. I'm not sure what happened to her after Whirlwind fell ill, though.

QuoteI created early first drafts for TX-0 and MTC:

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/TX-0
*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Memory_Test_Computer

I wasn't sure if I should put anything under the Family and relationships section yet for TX-0, because some info was proposed as theories, but I don't know if any of it is confirmed yet.

Thanks for starting those! I'm not sure what's confirmed yet either - when I do, I'll expand those articles.

stewartsage

I dunno, I think LINC and PDP-8 are probably pretty unusual in looking at their OSes as daughters.  That's just my way of looking at it.