Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Probably tomorrow, if I'm not busy with anything else, I'll start working on the redirects I mentioned earlier

Exa

To be honest, I would stick with the disambiguation page / short description with links here, because in my opinion, major differences in design and such would make complicated to keep the information in check, therefore, it warrants the split page solution.

Bella

@Aurora: Good work on adding more info on TIFRAC! It's interesting to hear that she's another branch on the IAS family tree. ^.^

Also, thanks for starting off Solaris-tan's article, I've wanted to work on it for awhile but haven't been sure where to start. x.x

Nichi

I have created redirects for Toshiaki, WE-tan, Pizza-tan, and Yamada; linking to their respective sections of the article Choco finished last night. If you'll notice, the number of red links on the Introduction page has gone down; making it look more complete :3

Bella

Aurora Borealis

Good job, Pentium and Bella with today's progress so far!

PDP-10 sounds like a great character, and surely she was one of the highest-ranked DEC-tans for her combat ability. Impressive that she got along with PDP-11-tan considering PDP-11 was partly responsible for the downfall of the society PDP-10 contributed to. I wonder if she'd also get along with Rainbow-tan, being able to relate to being the odd one out among what is mainly a minicomputer faction, and is also easy-going, though Rainbow was a poor tactician.

EDIT: I got started adding some info on the DEC Military:

I also organized the members alphabetically, but would like to organize them by lineage, but at times I got confused trying to do so.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Exa on June 28, 2012, 06:29:12 AM
To be honest, I would stick with the disambiguation page / short description with links here, because in my opinion, major differences in design and such would make complicated to keep the information in check, therefore, it warrants the split page solution.

you know, i was about to suggest this, that instead of having two articles for "1.0" we create a disambiguation page where they could redirect to "1.0-tan (OSC Character)" and "1.0-tan (Futaba Character)" (or something similar).

either tonight or tomorrow i'm gonna be tackling those os-kun articles. >>;

@pent: gj on the redirects, man. always nice to have a cleaner-looking front page, makes it look more professional. :3

EDIT: so i was skimming through the introduction (for the first time, lol) and i was thinking about adding to the personification before the os-tans section. but i have a question: do persocoms or persocom-like characters count as personification? chobits came out in 2000 in japan, and buttobi cpu came out in 1997, both of which feature sentient computers. :\

oh, and upon reading further, it's fairly obvious that it could use a little cleaning, both in terms of updated info and grammar (noteably the Futaba: The Rise of the OS-tans part). >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on June 28, 2012, 03:02:46 PM
PDP-10 sounds like a great character, and surely she was one of the highest-ranked DEC-tans for her combat ability. Impressive that she got along with PDP-11-tan considering PDP-11 was partly responsible for the downfall of the society PDP-10 contributed to. I wonder if she'd also get along with Rainbow-tan, being able to relate to being the odd one out among what is mainly a minicomputer faction, and is also easy-going, though Rainbow was a poor tactician.

She was probably pretty highly-ranked, though I still haven't come up with any formal chart for ranks among the DEC hardwares. ^^;

In regards to PDP-10 and -11's friendship, I don't think PDP-11-tan would have ever been hostile toward PDP-10-tan, so that may explain how they were able to remain friends. Part of me suspects that PDP-10-tan knew her moment in the sun was up and stepped gracefully into retirement, and may've even looked at being supplanted by her friend as something of an honor. Note that the same absolutely cannot be said for their followers - the Unices (Unix-tan in particular) and old school hacker OSes (TOPS-10, TENEX, ITS and WAITS) absolutely hate each other and probably would have fought to the bitter end.

I can totally see PDP-10 and Rainbow-tan getting along, too. ^^

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on June 28, 2012, 03:02:46 PMEDIT: I got started adding some info on the DEC Military:

I also organized the members alphabetically, but would like to organize them by lineage, but at times I got confused trying to do so.

Yay! I was gonna work on that article, but I really wasn't sure where to start. I think the list looks fine as it is, though if you want an outline of the lineages, I can make that for you.

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: I'm really not sure if the persocom-like characters would count as personifications, but they are kinda related to the OS-tan series and maybe have some common themes. What do you others think about this question?

@Bella: Thanks. I'm glad I was able to get a starting point for the history section, but am kinda stuck, and am stuck trying to figure out or organize the following:

-Introduction of the PDP-tans, their OS descendants and their roles.
-Was PDP-1 always officially affiliated with the DECs, or did she retire at some point before their collapse?
-RSX-tan being taken from RW-300-tan, and introduced into DEC-- which raises a few other questions; RSX is based off of RW-300, but is a PDP-11 OS; what is the relation between PDP-11 and RSX since DOS-11 was thought to be RSX's adoptive mother?
-VMS' debut.
-When did the Unixes and DECs start fighting, and who won those battles?
-The battles between the DECs and the Data Generals; ultimately, who won?
-Introduction of Ultrix to the DEC ranks, despite the DECs blood feud against the Unixes (it was elaborated in one of your comics, but how to organize this in the article?)-- another question: Was there a conflict of interest going on when Unixes were introduced to the DECs?

Were the Unixes PDP-11's followers? I remember reading that UNIX was created on a PDP-7, but was it ported to the PDP-11?

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on June 29, 2012, 08:01:44 PM
@Choco: I'm really not sure if the persocom-like characters would count as personifications, but they are kinda related to the OS-tan series and maybe have some common themes. What do you others think about this question?

I don't think persocoms count as personifications either ... I'm not really sure if they should get mention or not on the wiki, I mean, I guess you could make a case that they're somewhat similar in concept to OS-tans, but I'm not really seeing it personally.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on June 29, 2012, 08:01:44 PM@Bella: Thanks. I'm glad I was able to get a starting point for the history section, but am kinda stuck, and am stuck trying to figure out or organize the following:

Imma answer these to the best of my ability, one-by-one:

#1: I'm not really sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

#2: I imagined she retired LONG before DEC's collapse, but I'm guessing they kept her around out of affection and respect. She left when DEC disbanded in 1998.

#3: The RSX - RW-300 - PDP-11 thing is kind of complex. TBH, I'm not sure RSX was taken from RW-300-tan. At this point, I'm leaning toward the explanation that RSX-tan was metaphorically taken from her, via PDP-11 obtaining RW-300's source code and creating a RSX from it.

#3, part 2: PDP-11-tan was generally too busy with science and travel and seducing Unix-tans and shit to take care of her "kids" - DOS-11, RT-11, RSX and RSTS - so she left the latter three in the care of DOS-11-tan, who was the oldest of the group. Which was a terrible idea in hindsight, since DOS-11 was the most mentally-unstable of the group and really not competent to look after anything, let alone her younger (step?)siblings!

#4: VMS-tan debuted in 1977, you can use that story I wrote about her debut as a reference if you want to know more.

#5: Still not totally sure how the native DEC OSes v. Unix-tans thing went down. It's a really complex subject that warrants quite a bit of research, research that I just haven't done yet. x.x

#6: Again, I'm not sure how many direct battles the DG-tans and DEC-tans had. It's probably safe to assume that the DECs won most of them, though.

#7: Management probably knew that DEC was in trouble by the time they allowed Ultrix in. Recruiting Unix-tans may've been a desperate attempt to stave off outside Unix forces with an INTERNAL group of Unices, fighting fire with fire so to speak. The alternate theory is that there was some sort of outside pressure to accept Unix-tans, or maybe they just gave up by that point and didn't see the harm in letting in a Unix-tan.

#8: Re, Unix, PDP-7, and PDP-11: PDP-7-tan somehow fell in with Bell Labs, where she was recruited to help create Unix-tan. I suppose she and Unix would have gotten along well, but she panicked and abandoned the Labs when she realized how powerful Unix-tan was getting. Or maybe it was seeing Unix-tan get groomed to take out Multics that drove her away. Around 1970, PDP-11 replaced PDP-7. By that time, Unix was fairly mature and really didn't need anyone to take care of her, so their relationship was more of a friend sort than dependent and caretaker, as it had been with PDP-7.

I hope this was coherent enough, if you have any other questions or need clarification, I'll try to help. ^^;

Chocofreak13

@bella, aurora: i don't consider them -tans in that respect either, but maybe a blurb in the introduction, something like 'before the os-tans'? cause it kinda-sorta-almost ties in with the fandom in a parallel sense. :\

also, i fixed up the 95-kun article, cleaned up 95-tan's article a bit, and repaired one or two links on the Nijiura and Futaba Characters Page (i'ma have to fix more later, for now my right click is disabled cause of the limit again...). i would have gotten more done, but i found a cave filled with pics, mostly new comics....(some of which i have to translate by hand, ugh). tomorrow i'll either create 3.1-kun's article or fix up ME-kun's. :\

EDIT: btw guys, is there a Cairo-tan? considering she would have been a significant player in the early 90's, it's kinda odd that i've never heard mention of her on here. guess this belongs in the more ibm-tans section, but i figured since i was posting here anyway, i'd just roll with it and ask. :\
if not, i'd imagine her personality as haughty at first and bitter after her failure. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I think the technical details sections for 95-tan and 95-kun should be trimmed down; that section shouldn't overshadow the character details. I believe that the technical details should provide enough information that it gives some context or reference to the character details.

For example, with Windows 95, the "Start Me Up" campaign, and highly successful debut could be a references to 95-tan's aggressive campaigns she led during the OS Wars, and the time in her life before her debut was spent training to be the conqueror she'd become. If that bit about Windows 93 is true, maybe she had some setbacks in her training? The bit about 95 being designed for 32-bit capabilities in order to be a viable competitor was another factor in her life; that led her to seek her destiny in modernizing Windows.

On the other hand, I don't think the parts about the trial version and what it shipped on need to be kept.

The part about USB support is mentioned in 95 OSR 2.1-tan's and 95 OSR 2.5-tan's articles; it was OSR 2.1 that introduced USB support, though not very well, and OSR 2.5 fixed some of the mistakes. But I believe that whether 95-tan represents all the 95 releases, or only those up to OSR 2.0, she would struggle with USB technology either way.

I've vaguely heard of Cairo, but no Cairo-tan.

Chocofreak13

sorry, i had a feeling it was a little long. ^^; it was my first time writing one of those and i wanted to make sure i got everything nessecary. ^^;;;
i'll trim it down in the morning. (can we at least keep the part about the 5.25" floppy? that sounded hilarious. xD)
hopefully the articles at least look a little better. :\

as for cairo, maybe i'll create her. seems like she might be a predecessor to Neptune and Odyssey, the only difference being that Cairo was released in some way (not fully). i think i'll move that discussion over to the new ibm-tans thread.

btw, for some reason the alternate names i had put in for 95-kun aren't showing up in the infobox, is there any reason why? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I fixed that problem. It's related to a coding and legacy issue with the infobox template itself.

To be exact, for the "also known as" section in the current infobox, the "also known as" section is coded as:
|alias = other names or nicknames for this character

But the one used in 95-kun's article, although it looks just like the current one now, used the old section coding:
|aka = other names or nicknames for this character

And since that naming was no longer supported because it was replaced, the names didn't show. When I was updating the infobox template some time ago, I changed that name from "aka =" to "alias =", which led to that part of the infobox being broken by mistake. I just simply needed to change that little bit in the infobox in 95-kun's article.

Chocofreak13

okay.

but just so you know, i copied that infobox from windows ME. :\
click to make it bigger