Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Not only are there storyline-purpose deaths, there might also be storyline-purpose exemptions from death, such as SAGE, IAS (both decommissioned but hardware is intact), Commodore 65 (prototype system, between 200 and 1000 exist; no real userbase), Macintosh System 3.4 (unusual, very limited-run Mac OS version; presumably has no userbase left), and possibly also Visi On. And if Honeywell Kitchen Computer-tan is alive, she's another exemption.

One of the comic ideas I had in mind was one about the Flashback trojan incident, another about the Apple II's 35th anniversary, and another about OS/2's 25th anniversary.

Bella

Oh! And one other thing.

I'm wondering if, under the "Theories about individual characters" section, we should 1) Create a sub-section for each OS-tan, or if we should 2) Just create an individual sub-section for each theory (TVTropes WMG-style).

For instance, 1) would look like this:

==Theories about individual characters==
====Bell Labs Unix====
-Theory #1
-Theory #2
-Theory #3

====GNU Linux====
-Theory #1
-Theory #2

While 2) would go like this:

==Theories about individual characters==
====Bell Labs Unix is the head of an assimilation plot====
*Theory explaination goes here*

====SAGE's could visually perceive the radio spectrum====
*Theory explaination goes here*

Aurora Borealis

I'd probably start with the second one, since I don't know how many characters have how many alternate theories. If there are some that have several, you could switch to the first model for those characters.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 20, 2012, 05:17:15 PM
I'd probably start with the second one, since I don't know how many characters have how many alternate theories. If there are some that have several, you could switch to the first model for those characters.

Okay! I was leaning toward the second one too.

Bella

I still haven't worked on the character theories section, but I got some work done on the other theory threads: I added a little more info in Species, gave a summary of a few different theories about OS-tan creation/birth in the Life and Death article,  and added some info about OS-tans who should be dead but aren't (in the same article).

Aurora Borealis

Good job an all of those! You organized the Species section very well, which may not have been an easy task because of the sheer amount of stuff that had been typed up in discussion.

Today, I expanded on NT-tan's article, adding her relation within the Windows Family, the details of her creation, and her achieving dominance in the server market. Two sub-sections I listed but haven't gotten to yet are her duel against OS/2-tan; in part because I'm not sure exactly when that would have taken chronologically relative to her duel against VMS, and her conquering the Unices, and her life after the wars.

Bella

Thanks Aurora. I'm glad you don't think I went overboard with it, heh. ^^;

Ooh, I'll go check that out. I'm not sure when OS/2 and NT-tan fought either, sorry. :/

Aurora Borealis

Updates:

1. Added some more mini icons to the experimental OS-tan tables.
2. Added some more info to the Commodore Family article.
3. Created the Independent OS section of the OS-tan Lineages.
4. Expanded on the OS-tan Classes article.

Bella

Re: Independent OS-tans: PR1MOS is considered a Multics-like OS, so PR1MOS-tan probably doesn't belong on that list.

Aurora Borealis

Okay. I knew that PR1MOS was influenced by Multics, but was PR1MOS derived from it? I ask this just to be sure.

I'm also not sure whether to add MenuetOS to the list since it made from scratch, and originated as an independent OS, but now has a derivative (KolibriOS).

Bella

According to the Multicians' site, PRIMOS "...shows a strong Multics influence", and was created by a number of ex-Multicians who affectionately nicknamed it "Multics-in-a-Shoebox". So yes, in OS-tan terms I would think that she was (at least) heavily mentally/magically influenced by Multics-sama, if not in the murky area of -tans that may or may not be related to Multics (like VOS-tan).

Aurora Borealis

So she's influenced enough by Multics to not really count as independent? Okay, I removed her from the list.

Recent progress:

1. Added the early years of PET-tan's backstory, also mentioning KIM-1-tan, who is the mother of the 8-bit Commodore-tans although no design or characterization exist for her yet.

2. Added a little bit more info on Windows 8. On another note, isn't it sad there are so few 8-tan designs? What happened to the design rushes we had with Vista and 7?

3. Choco is working on a Futaba characters page; good idea as they do interact with the canon Windows-tans in Futaba continuity. Once we get those characters documented, we can add the Windows-tans' relationships with them to their articles.

4. Choco also added some more information on ME-tan.

4. On the Setting article, I described the middle-ground approach.

***Also on that article, there's a red link to "OS-tan 'canon'"; should that article be made to describe:
A. What is generally or universally agreed on in the whole OS-tan fandom?

B. The original canon?

C. Take a Third Option: The term 'canon' is now outdated as the Japanese and Western fandoms diverged so much that it split into at least two continuities?

Bella

Good work Aurora!

To be honest, I'm a bit glad that there hasn't been a rush of Windows 8-tan designs, makes it easier to get behind just one. >>;;

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on June 26, 2012, 09:23:01 PM
***Also on that article, there's a red link to "OS-tan 'canon'"; should that article be made to describe:

A. What is generally or universally agreed on in the whole OS-tan fandom?

B. The original canon?

C. Take a Third Option: The term 'canon' is now outdated as the Japanese and Western fandoms diverged so much that it split into at least two continuities?

Actually, I think it's a good idea to include all three theories.

Theories A and B would probably be the most accurate to what we know as "OS-tan canon", or what we mean when we talk about "OS-tan canon"; but theory C should be included as an alternate viewpoint!

Aurora Borealis

Have you seen Esu's 8-tan design? I thought it was the best one.

Technically you're taking a fourth option. :P That does sound like the best idea though, since there isn't even be agreement in what the OS-tan 'canon' is anymore!

-------

I added three MMD videos to the OS-tan Multimedia list. The third one is really weird but awesome.

EDIT: Choco posted up the start of the Nijiura and Futaba Characters page, and it's off to a great start!

Bella

I am familiar with Esu's 8-tan, in fact I was the first one to post it on the board. ^^;

I'm partial to this 8-tan design too, but I think it's close enough to Esu's to be considered the same character.

You know how i am, I don't like having to settle with just one explanation. Besides, the OS-tan fandom is so diverse (or fragmented) that it would be something of an injustice to present just one viewpoint of what "canon" constitutes.