Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: I approve. I think it'd be better to have the mainframe characters, and the mainframe component characters in separate sections to make the mainframe section less confusing and unwieldy. Also agree with listing characters' roles in fanworks.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 10, 2012, 03:25:28 PM
@Bella: I approve. I think it'd be better to have the mainframe characters, and the mainframe component characters in separate sections to make the mainframe section less confusing and unwieldy. Also agree with listing characters' roles in fanworks.

Okay, I'll put mainframe computers AND OSes in the Mainframes section, while hardware components (memory drums/drives/terminals) in the Hardware section.

As for fanworks and what not, I'm planning on just putting those at the ends of the articles. Should I put links under the Theories and Notes section (as I did in VMS' article) or make a separate section on the page for it?

Over the last week or so, I've made or updated articles for:
-PDP-8
-PDP-11
-IAS Machine
-VMS (added some info in Theories and Notes, updated avatar)
-ITS (added some info in Theories and Notes)
-LINC (filled out article, added avatar)

Aurora Borealis

I would put those in a separate section, with Theories and Notes being a misc. section.

However, in the articles I wrote, I don't use a Theories and Notes section, but have an Alternate Character Interpretation sub-section within the main Character Details section. Then again, I've never really seen the Theories and Notes section used until your latest update to the VMS article, so I'm not sure what to put in that section if I'm to include it in other articles. :-/

I did some editing too, expanding on QNX's and Cray-1's articles so far.

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 10, 2012, 11:06:33 PM
I would put those in a separate section, with Theories and Notes being a misc. section.

However, in the articles I wrote, I don't use a Theories and Notes section, but have an Alternate Character Interpretation sub-section within the main Character Details section. Then again, I've never really seen the Theories and Notes section used until your latest update to the VMS article, so I'm not sure what to put in that section if I'm to include it in other articles. :-/

I did some editing too, expanding on QNX's and Cray-1's articles so far.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

I'd like to put information in the Theories and Notes section that's maybe too trivial (notes) or too questionable (theories) to put in the main article - of course, those theories could easily go under alternate character interpretation, and those notes could probably be integrated to the main article.

Also, I'm not sure if we should strive for complete uniformity across all articles - it might make more sense to have an "Alternate Character Interpretation" section in some articles, as some character's backstories and personalities ARE subject to a certain amount of debate. For instance, there hasn't been enough info released on SAGE or WWMCCS-tan to know what their exact motives are, whether Unix-tan is good, bad or neutral, whether or not CTSS-tan is still alive, etc. While other characters are established enough (or NOT established enough) to have an alternate interpretation - these characters' articles might do better with a "Theories and Notes" section.

I'll go check out their articles now. :)

Aurora Borealis

Okay. Sounds good.

I expanded on Lisa-tan's and EvilEntity-tan's articles. I also expanded a little bit on DOS/V-tan's article, and knowing a little bit about the Japanese computer market of the 80's and 90's, she's an under-appreciated character; when DOS/V was released in 1990, it overthrew the PC-98 (NEC PC-9800 series) as the dominant platform in Japan... before being overthrown by 95-tan. Speaking of which, I also have a concept for PC-98-tan and should post that up.

Bella

I've been thinking about ways we can integrate info that's been posted in the various theory/conjecture/character-creation threads into the wiki itself. Lots of nuggets of information get stuck in the forum without ever making their way into the wiki.

The way I see it, it would be sort of like the WMG pages on TVTropes articles, but less .... wild, I guess. Would it be worth making a section just to post these theories? Or should they go under the "theories and notes" section that's already in a lot of OS-tan wiki articles?

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: I see you've been making a lot of edits lately and creating many new articles. Great job!

Would you like to start with a unified "theories" article to put all this WMG-sort of stuff in one place first, before migrating them to their individual articles?

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 12, 2012, 10:37:42 PM
@Bella: I see you've been making a lot of edits lately and creating many new articles. Great job!

Would you like to start with a unified "theories" article to put all this WMG-sort of stuff in one place first, before migrating them to their individual articles?

Yes! I guess one good side effect of writer's block is having more will to work on the wiki. ^^;

That's what I was thinking ... I'd definitely like to see these theories go on the individual OS-tan articles too, but grouping them into a single article might be a good place to start.

Any ideas for names? Maybe just "Theories on individual OS-tans"? (To set it apart from the articles on theories about OS-tans as a species, the setting, etc.)

Bella

That's true.

I guess I'll let you start the article, since I really don't know how it should be organized.

Bella

I may start that article after all, I don't want to burden you with this if you're busy with more important stuff. ^^; (Especially since I was the one to propose the idea.)

I guess I'll just model it after the other Theory articles and organize it by OS-tan faction or class (ie, Mainframe-tan, micro-tan, etc) for now. I'm also going to write a little introduction explaining that these are theories that were first proposed on the forum, that they may not be considered canon/fanon and may not be endorsed by the original creators of the characters.

Nichi

IDK if it counts as just a theory or fanon (You can be the judge of that), but I the canon within my stories operate on the theory that 2k-tan knows of the connection between her mother (NT-tan) and VMS-tan.

As for how Nichi would learn this, I picture it as being the sort of thing she accidentally stumbled upon during her training. It hasn't been mentioned in universe yet, since I haven't found an opportunity to bring it up

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: Go for it! I've been busy lately, but I can try and help you gather more stuff for the article.

@Pentium: I think that would be considered an alternate universe interpretation, but those can be included too, like a what-if scenario.

======

I created Harvard Mark II-tan's and III-tan's articles!

I don't have human names listed for them, but for Mark II-tan, I considered Mary Aiken, and Addie Aiken for Mark III-tan.

@Bella or Stew: I know that Mark II-tan and Mark III-tan were separated from their mother early in life, but did these two see each other frequently, or did they work separate divisions as well? Also, I'd like to imagine they may have had a sibling rivalry early in life, with Mark II-tan originally feeling threatened by Mark III-tan's status as the most powerful computer-tan of the time.

Bella

Actually, C-chan proposed (or insinuated, at least) the same thing years ago. Since 2K-tan is the most business-savvy of the Windows-tans and frequently interacts with server-tans and whatnot, he reasoned that she'd probably know that OpenVMS-tan is her grandmother.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 19, 2012, 02:10:40 PM
I don't have human names listed for them, but for Mark II-tan, I considered Mary Aiken, and Addie Aiken for Mark III-tan.

@Bella or Stew: I know that Mark II-tan and Mark III-tan were separated from their mother early in life, but did these two see each other frequently, or did they work separate divisions as well? Also, I'd like to imagine they may have had a sibling rivalry early in life, with Mark II-tan originally feeling threatened by Mark III-tan's status as the most powerful computer-tan of the time.

Those names sound fine to me.

I'm really not sure, it's been so long since i read about the Mark II and III that I forget where those computers were located. : ( I seem to recall that both were in Dahlgren, VA, so they probably would have interacted with each other even if they didn't work at the exact same place.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 19, 2012, 02:10:40 PM
@Bella: Go for it! I've been busy lately, but I can try and help you gather more stuff for the article.

Kay, I guess I'll get it started by gathering some theories ....

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: You're making great progress on the Species, and Life/Death articles, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the new Character Theories page get filled out!

I did some more stuff, expanding on Sinclair QL-tan's article (she has some unusual rivalries!), added an alternate character interpretation for Windows 3.1-tan, and also added another section on QNX-tan's article about her relationship with the Anti$oft Coalition. Too bad I have a hard time writing stories, and am kinda having artist's block outside of working on my main comic, because I'd really like to illustrate more OS-tan stuff, and even make short OS-tan comics again.

Bella

Thanks! I'm having some trouble figuring out where i want to go with the Character Theories article ... I want it to be about not only individuals, but factions, groups, and other aspects of OS-tan society as well. (For instance, I want to include theories about OS-tan magic, "animal-based" magic vs. learned magic, etc). I guess I'll comb through the Theory Revival, More IBM-tans and OS-tans and Tropes threads for some theories.

I fully support your drawing more OS-tan stuff/short comics. :) I've been wanting to draw more OS-tans that don't get much exposure/haven't been drawn yet or haven't shown up in a long time....