Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

@Tsubashi: I'm not sure. Maybe both, if different architectures, like you mentioned with OSX Panther, are accounted for.

Krizonar

Quote from: Tsubashi on December 17, 2011, 03:42:46 PM
@Krizo: I know what the bit addresses are of the Windows systems, but I'm not certain about what most of the Mac OSes would be.

-I know that Snow Leopard and Lion are 64-bit.
-Tiger and Leopard are 32/64 bit. Not sure if the earlier OSXs are also 32/64-bit or 32-bit only.
-Systems 7, 8 and 9 are 32-bit
-System 6 is 24-bit (32-bits, but uses the upper 8 bits for memory addressing). Not sure if the earlier Mac OSes are 24-bit as well.

According to this timeline on A/UX's wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX#Decline, A/UX debuted slightly before System 6 did.

Also, those bits are correct, though I would consider 10.5, 10.4 and 10.3 to be 64-bit/32-bit as well.
Hm, that's odd, because the very reference wikipedia is using on the bottom of the page states it was late 1988.
http://www.kernelthread.com/publications/appleoshistory//4.html

I would say those bitages are right, though 10.5,10.4 and 10.3 would be considered 64/32 bit.
Quote from: Tsubashi on December 17, 2011, 03:42:46 PM
Well, when we are talk about Bit addressing, are we talking about addressable memory or kernel architectures? Yes, Pather was a 32-bit system, but it was able to take advantage of the G5's 64-bit architecture to address a much larger range. Then again, individual programs were still limited by the 32-bit base...
I would say the Kernel architecture.

Nichi

One thing I did think about the other day, involving Neptune-tan, would be an expansion on character details.

Since little is said about the character on the wiki, and she plays an important role in the story I'm writing right now, would it be fine to include details on her portrayal in my stories?

Aurora Borealis

@Krizo: I'm an idiot for not noticing that. x_x

@Pentium:Okay. I'd like for the wiki to be as inclusive as possible, including alternate character interpretations, and even appearances in stories.

Nichi

All right ^_^

Well, should I have the stuff from my story under a separate header in the article, or blend it in with the current one, before the description on Odyssey?

Aurora Borealis

The Neptune and Odyssey articles are split in the new Windows-tans table.

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/User:Aurora_Borealis/Sandbox#from_the_Windows-tans_list:

I don't think any character has a list of appearances in stories yet, but I'd just put the info under a header along the lines of "Appearances in stories"

Nichi

All right. I'll work on the page to Neptune later this weekend

Bella

@Tsubashi: Thanks so much man! I uploaded a bunch of images. : )

I added updated info box images for:
-Unix
-Linux
-Multics
-OpenVMS
-Whirlwind
-SAGE
-BUIC
-PDP-1
-CTSS

I updated the info boxes for:
-CTSS
-Whirlwind

And added an info box/page formatting for:
-BUIC

Bella

AND, AND, I also updated the articles for:

-Leopard
-Snow Leopard
-Lion

And posted Info Box images for:
-BOS/360
-OS/360
-TSS/360
(Granted, they're B&W, but better than nothing I say)

Aurora Borealis

Excellent! Those pages already look better just including a picture in the infobox, and thanks for filling in some more details for Snow Leopard-tan and Lion-tan! If you don't mind, could I color in those pictures used for the /360-tans?

As for the updates I made, I added more mainframe-tans to the mainframe table in progress, and added a few more OS-tan icons. Can anyone fill me in on the release dates and status (obsolete/discontinued/decommissioned or not) info for some of those characters?

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on December 18, 2011, 07:45:47 PMIf you don't mind, could I color in those pictures used for the /360-tans?

Go for it. : )

QuoteAs for the updates I made, I added more mainframe-tans to the mainframe table in progress, and added a few more OS-tan icons. Can anyone fill me in on the release dates and status (obsolete/discontinued/decommissioned or not) info for some of those characters?

Should I post dates and obsolescence info here, or just edit the mainframe table directly?

Aurora Borealis

Bella

Cool, I think it would be easier if i just directly edited the table.

EDIT: I've requested Stewart's help in assisting me in filling out the roles/job descriptions of the various mainframe OS-tans, since many of those are his characters.

Bella

I'm thinking of making/editing some more pages for various OS and hardware -tans and -kuns ..... what I'm wondering is, would it be okay for me to make a section for hardware-kuns? Or should I just include a hardware-kun section in the Hardware-tans page?

EDIT: Or should I just put hardware component-tans/kuns (for instance, IBM 728-kun and FASTRAND-kun, who're both memory-device-tans) in the hardware section, while putting actual mainframe-tans/kuns (like IBM 7090-kun and Honeywell 6180-kun) in the Mainframe-tans section?

EDIT NO. 2: Also, I'd like to start adding a section at the end of each wiki page (especially for the non-"canon" OS-tans who don't have image galleries here at OSC) to compile links to various fanworks (like images, stories, and maybe even OSC posts) involving the OS-tan in question. Any objections to this?

Nichi

I think Aurora would be the best judge on the first two, but I don't see a reason why the last one would be a problem. After all, once I get around to it, Neptune-tan's page will make mentioning of her portrayal in my stories, so once I have enough of it posted, why not include a link to the story on my dA?