Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Chocofreak13

should i ink it? i typically ink reference pages when i use them for a long period of time, but i usually wait till they start to smudge, lol.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I see that Bella has done some more editing to the Setting page. Great job explaining the differences in the continuities! I added my two cents to the article, since I still follow the Annex Project, or rather a continuation of it that takes middle-ground approaches. Thought I'd try and explain that.

More about the middle-ground, I remember when we were all conjecturing about the OS-tan setting, there was someone who bridged the gap between the fantasy cyberpunk world/Annex Project and the real-world interpretations. I can't remember the details, but it was something about the OS-tans co-existing in both worlds, that they mainly live in the real world but can use certain code to enter the fantasy cyberpunk world to gather into their factions.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on August 27, 2011, 04:16:08 PM
I can't remember the details, but it was something about the OS-tans co-existing in both worlds, that they mainly live in the real world but can use certain code to enter the fantasy cyberpunk world to gather into their factions.

maybe it's time to revive the theory thread? or should i just repost again and make another wall-o-text? (that seems to be my specialty sometimes, lol.)

that said, i'll make myself a note to scan the windows house specs i made.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Any ideas for how to prettify the wiki? Even better if the final product can be a collaborative effort from the artists and coders here! I can't think of anything at the moment, but I've seen some impressive looking wikis from other fandoms, but ours is still so plain. :-/

Bella

I don't think it looks bad, Aurora... rather incomplete, yes, but not bad. My only suggestion is to get pictures up in more character profiles, it bothers me to see nothing there.

Aurora Borealis

Ok. That's a start.

Did some more editing! I added alternate character interpretation info to SAGE's and CTSS's articles, partially rewrote Plan 9's article, and created SCOPE's article.

EDIT: Here's something I've suggested to make the wiki look less incomplete: in each section of the OS-tan list, instead of having the characters all in a bullet list, have a table for each group, with columns for character name, "class" of OS (i.e: mainframe, home computer, server, general purpose), debut of system, and general roles. May also include the Annex Project avatars, or some quickly-made OS-tan character icons.

For practicality reasons, the List Of All OS-tans page would stay as-is.

Aurora Borealis

Here's a sample set of mini character icons in the proposed new layout, using various characters:

A DEC-tan, Windows-tan, 2 mainframe-tans, Linux-tan, Commodore-tan, Unix-tan, Classic Mac-tan, and old-school Apple-tan!

For bonus points, find the currently or formerly ax crazy ones! :D

Bella

OMIGOD, THAT'S SO CUTE~ *_*

(Did you make these using some sort of template? They look like pixel dolls....)

Um, SAGE, Wimmex and ///-tan are the ax crazy ones, no? And maybe System 6?

Bella

Ah-ha... well it's a nice looking base, I might have to ask for the source so I can make some myself. ('Course, we'll have to coordinate who makes which -tan, so we don't end up with duplicates by accident...)

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 09, 2011, 03:44:56 PM
you got four of them right.

Is C65-tan ax crazy? I nearly mentioned her, but wasn't sure so I didn't.

OpenVMS-tan might be perceived as ax crazy, but she actually isn't since she's very mentally-stable and not really dangerous.... unless you happen to be a cracker or something along those lines. -w-;;

QuoteSAGE: of course- she's like the most ax crazy OS-tan!
Wimmex: yes. (out of curiousity, when did that first happen to her?)

SAGE-tan is NUCLEAR crazy. (Potentially.)

As for Wimmex going nuts... I speculate that Wimmex's personality isn't independent, but a construct created by the various OS-tans that were incorporated in her network. From 1963(?) to 1971 she would have had incorporated the personalities of dozens of different OS-tans, but post-1971 her only source of inspiration, so to speak, would have been GECOS-tan. THAT would have been the point at which she went from neurotic, but emotionally-stable, to completely freakin' crazy.

I talked more about it here: http://ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/topic,1455.msg109724/topicseen.html#msg109724

Bella

GECOS is the worse influence. @_@;;

The only addition I would make to the info box is adding a "OS Family" or "Family" (since we have a lot of hardware-tans too) section. Examples of families might be Unix (or something specific like BSD or Linux), Windows NT, or on the hardware side, 18- or 36-bit. Just a thought.

Aurora Borealis

Could you help me with the mainframe and unix sections, (as well as various historical OSes) since I don't remember the technical details for most of them.

In the sandbox, I have the Windows-tans table mostly up, but also need to create a section for the Windows-kuns since they tend to get overlooked.

-----

Made some more icons:

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on October 16, 2011, 03:35:26 PM
Could you help me with the mainframe and unix sections, (as well as various historical OSes) since I don't remember the technical details for most of them.

I'd like to help, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. ^^; You'd like me to help on the articles of various mainframe, Unix and historical OS-tans?

QuoteIn the sandbox, I have the Windows-tans table mostly up, but also need to create a section for the Windows-kuns since they tend to get overlooked.

-----

Made some more icons:

Huzzah on both accounts! Oh my gawd, I LURVE Cray-sama and SCOPE-tan here! MS+PC-DOS, EvilEntity and Mac System 3.4-tan are other favorites of mine. ^^

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! :D

Updates: Looking through more articles to expand on, I added some more info on Plan 9-tan. Also got started on adding info to the Commodore-tans' articles, but I need to go somewhere soon to help a friend pick out a camera, and will get back to this if I still have the time today.