Project Wiki OVERHAUL!!

Started by Aurora Borealis, December 06, 2010, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Some more updates:

*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/The_HURD: Expanded on article.
*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Debian: Added infobox, tweaked info slightly, but need more character details.
*http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Classic_Mac: Got started on article.

Also added a few more names on the OS-tan human names article.

For CRAY-1-tan, I proposed the name Corina Seymour. Not yet listed but considered was Belle or Bess for BESYS-tan's western name, and Yumi for UMES-tan's Japanese name.

Bella

I'd suggest Bess Bell for BESYS' name. Stewart listed her as Bethany Murray however.

-RSX and VAXELN are Risa and Ellen Cutler. This is VMS-tan's last name too.

-Word of God says WWMCCS-tan's "human" name is Wimmex. Thus compounding her strangeness.

-Likewise, I think WAITS-tan would be referred to as... Waits. But IIRC, Willow was the human name proposed for her.

-Univac U1050 II-tan's name is Ursula Rand (not that anyone knows WHO U1050 II-tan actually is...)

-As for some of the male characters, Emacs is Evan, Vi is (probably) Victor, QED is Ted, RED is Red, FANSTRAND is Randy (Randall Sperry?), IBM 728 is Ivan (van der Zee?)

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on May 28, 2011, 11:10:48 PM
-Rainbow 100 is Rain Cutler

-RT-11 could be Renita Cutler

-MenuetOS is Minna Turjanmaa

I would say "Decker" would be a more appropriate name for Rainbow and RT-11-tan - since "Cutler" refers directly to the creator of VMS, RSX and VAXELN, Dave Cutler. Given that RT-11 and Rainbow don't have specific creators (that I know of), the generic Decker-as-in-DEC name would probably work best.

[For future reference: PDP 1-chan's last name is probably Olsen or Gurley (the engineer who designed the PDP-1) and I'm going to wager that LINC-tan's name includes "Lincoln".]

...I can't pronounce Menuet-tan's last name D:

Aurora Borealis

My bad! ^^;

What would PDP-1's last name be? Would Decker work for her too?

I don't even know if my pronunciation of Menuet-tan's last name is correct either!

Chocofreak13

@bells: menuet's last name = tur-jaan-ma or tur-yaan-ma

i'd say for the mac's last name, fuji might be nice for the japanese, and macintosh for the western (since fuji apples are quintessentially japanese, and the same holds true for macintoshes).

i remember one of the Commodores was named Coco.....and didn't Amiga have a human name?

windows 1.0, japanese: Kazue or Kazuko (and Kazuo if i make a male version), meaning "first branch", "first child", and "first man" respectively
western: Primula (meaning "very first")

windows 2.0: japanese: Ami ("second beauty", or Aki, "Second Hope") and Jirou ("Second Male")
western: Nakato ("second of twins", african name), Kato (same meaning, male form)

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?nmd=md&terms=second
try searching for meanings there. it was damn hard to find names that meant "second" or "two", which is why i settled on those (i'm gonna stick to the japanese names in the comic for now...)

btw, i named 2k-kun Nichen (in my comic). hope that's cool.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I like those! :D

Coco is a completely different computer from the Commodores though, it's the color counterpart to the original TRS-80.

Amiga-tan's Western name is Lorraine. No last name yet though.

Chocofreak13

i was close..... >>;

well, that site is sooper-useful, since you can search by meaning, origin AND name (and they have names from all over; i found some names in esperanto!!).

any more that need names? :3 this is kinda fun. ^^ (i just remembered, we need a name for OS/2)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

The Commodore-tans except for VIC-20 still don't have human names, and I have no idea for their last names.

Most of them do have Japanese nicknames though: PET is Petchan, VIC-20 is Vicchan, C64 is Panchan, C128 is Senchan.

For the Ataris' Western names, Atari DOS-tan is Colleen, named after the codename for the Atari 800 computer. I've considered Stacy for Atari ST-tan, but there is a (obscure, portable) computer from Atari with that name. Maybe that name could still work for her?

There were also two new things I considered adding to the OS infobox template: proposed human names (when there are enough of them), and weapon of choice. :)

Alex_Reetz

how do i make a wiki page?

Bella

I hate the name Stacy... but it works in this case. >__>

I wondered about OS/2-tan's name too... somehow I think it should be Star Trek-inspired, but I don't know enough on that topic to make any suggestions. -w-

Aurora Borealis

@Alex: What page do you have in mind?

The simplest way to make a page is to go to the wiki main page, and at the end of the url in the url bar, type in the name of the article: i.e:

ostan-collections.net/wiki/article

Chocofreak13

@bella: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/J.M._Colt
says that one of the names for one of the original crew members was Mia. i think that suits OS/2, don't you? :3 (only helps that there's a badass video game character named Mia.)

@aurora: i think stacy would work, even if there's already a stacy there, especially since one is obscure. isn't there more than one stacy in real life? (it'd be creepy if there wasn't.)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I've been on a roll today, adding a lot onto OS/360-tan's article, and just created BOS/360-tan's.

OS/360 also appeared in one of Bella's stories of Leopard-tan's time-travel, are there others details I can add in to the article from those stories?

EDIT: Forgot to add this, but also started on the history section of the Commodore Family.

Chocofreak13

looks good, aurora-san. :3 and i feel bad for BOS, what a crappy existence that must have been. :\
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

there's a difference between being crazy and being miserable. :\ BOS probably had it worse, since she had extremely little purpose in life. :\
click to make it bigger