OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

System 4.2 + Finder 6.0? So wait, you're telling me that MY Mac Classic's OS-tan is The Phantom of the Mac? >:D

Krizonar

Quote from: "Bella"System 4.2 + Finder 6.0? So wait, you're telling me that MY Mac Classic's OS-tan is The Phantom of the Mac? >:D

@_____________@ <3

And thank you Aurora for including some of my personality and story ideas of some of the Mac Tans in your examples!

Aurora Borealis

Yup, and not just that but System 4.2 is represented by both System 4-tan and the Phantom of the Mac! :D

Bella

Woo, two -tans for the price of one! >X3

Three old bios that've been lurking in my files for a few months now... TOPS-10, Tenex and PR1MOS.

QuoteName: TOPS-10
aka: PDP-6 / PDP-10 Monitor Software, Timesharing / Total Operating System
Debut: 1964
Height: 5'7''
Weight: 140lb
Eye Color: purple
Hair: lavender

Quick Facts:

-One of the oldest (living) DEC OS-tans
-Established DEC's military tradition, considered their de-facto commander and head strategist for many years
-Like most of the DEC-tans, resembled a free-thinking revolutionary more than a straight-laced military type
-Fearless, loyal and fierce with a wry sense of humor
-Very social, fond of CB radio and multiplayer boardgames
-Has the sensibilities of a modern OS-tan
-Especially fond of RSX-11, looked at Tenex as something of a little-sister figure
-Doesn't seem to acknowledge her daughter, WAITS, or comment on her possible relation to CP/M-tan
-Aged and retired gracefully, still active today
-Tall, athletic, moderately-endowed, appears sometime in her mid-to-late 30s. Has long hair and lively eyes, wears parts of her old uniform mixed with civilian pieces.

Name: TOPS-20
aka: Tenex, Twenex, 20x
Debut: 1969
Height: 5'5''
Weight: 125lb
Eye Color: blue
Hair: purple

Quick Facts:

-Born 1969 in Boston, Massachusetts
-Tutored by Multics and followed the mystical teachings of BTSS-tan
-Enlisted into the DEC military in 1973
-Has a lively, carefree, often naive personality
-Famously friendly and communicative
-Inherited mild telepathy and clairvoyance from BTSS
-Ignorant of the DEC culture and considered an outsider
-Gravitated toward TOPS-10 and considers her a “big sister”
-Gained a strong following in the 1980s but was soon discharged by DEC in favour of VMS
-Has since made up with most of her former comrades, but prefers not to socialize with VMS and Unix
-Feminine, physically aged mid-20s, has long wavy hair and usually wears a cheerful expression. Forwent the typical DEC uniforms for her own fashion.

Name: Primos
aka: PR1MOS, DOS(VM), Multics-in-a-Shoebox
Debut: ~mid 1970s
Height: 5'4''
Weight: 120lb
Eye Color: green
Hair: black

Quick Facts:
-A Natick, Massachusetts native
-Shy and demure, spent little time in the public spotlight
-Capable of living off sparse resources
-Fond of Multics, her spiritual ancestor
-Friends with Honeywell Kitchen Computer, Domain/OS and the Wang-tans
-Adaptable and inventive
-Seems perfectly happy living “under the radar”
-Thinks it's a waste of emotion to feel sorrow for the demise of her company, PR1ME.
-Physically in her early 20s, short flipped black hair, wears simplified Rococo-style fashion, typically a bit tattered, with 1980s twists. Can easily live out of a suitcase.

Chocofreak13

i'd like it better if you posted these right after you made them......cause i was gonna suggest tenex, but you beat me to it. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Interesting! I'm curious about this since I still don't know much about the DECs:

Since TOPS-10 was the de-facto leader of the DECs, and the one to establish the traditions, what did she think of PDP-1? And why didn't she acknowledge WAITS, and her possible connection to CP/M? Do tell! I had no idea about the latter part, I had thought that CP/M was simply made from scratch! And what would TOPS-10 thought of VMS?

Awwww! It was really nice of TOPS-20 to be so forgiving! Was it considered in her time an honor to be tutored by Multics, btw? Were they friends too? Her backstory has a lot of parallels to Amiga's time as a cadet in the Commodore Family- oblivious to military stepfamily's customs, didn't make it past cadet rank, they even didn't follow the dress code! :D

PR1MOS seems like a really cool person, gotta like her optimism! Her resourcefulness makes her an asset to the CIOST, though it seems strange she's affiliated with them because she's so cheerful and approachable!

Chocofreak13

i'd like to know WAITS' take on the situation. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'd like to know that too.

Another of Bella's requested avatars, here's DTSS:

---------
3 down one to go! Any other requests with avatars?

Here's DigiComp:

QuoteName: Digi-Comp
aka: Digi-Comp I, II
Debut: 1963
Height: 160 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Red
Hair: White

Quick Facts:

-Tends to push herself to exhaustion doing math problems
-Wants to be taken seriously by the digital computers (First real mechanical binary computer, very capable despite being a "toy")
-Can only say "Yes" or "No", which doesn't really help her make her case (First real binary mechanical computer, so she get's stuck with a verbal handicap)
-Friends with GENIAC and EMAG-III.
-Makes wire sculptures, unfolds paperclips, generally plays around with anything thin and metallic.
-Seems to be found of logic puzzles and brain teasers, as far as anyone can tell.
-Has a passion for bowling (Digi-Comp II used a rolling ball to for power)
-Is an elementary school teacher in her native New Jersey.
-Wears turtlenecks and long skirts when teaching, otherwise wears tank tops and jeans, all with a striped motif.
-Always wears flip-flops with her outfits.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Those avatars are so cool I kinda want one of myself =P

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"TENEX! <3

or maybe WAITS :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Okay!

On queue by request: Tenex, WAITS, Whirlwind (Bella's remaining requested avi)

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

THEN REQUEST AN AVATAR CHOZO~ >:3

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Interesting! I'm curious about this since I still don't know much about the DECs:

Since TOPS-10 was the de-facto leader of the DECs, and the one to establish the traditions, what did she think of PDP-1? And why didn't she acknowledge WAITS, and her possible connection to CP/M? Do tell! I had no idea about the latter part, I had thought that CP/M was simply made from scratch! And what would TOPS-10 thought of VMS?

Awwww! It was really nice of TOPS-20 to be so forgiving! Was it considered in her time an honor to be tutored by Multics, btw? Were they friends too? Her backstory has a lot of parallels to Amiga's time as a cadet in the Commodore Family- oblivious to military stepfamily's customs, didn't make it past cadet rank, they even didn't follow the dress code! :D

PR1MOS seems like a really cool person, gotta like her optimism! Her resourcefulness makes her an asset to the CIOST, though it seems strange she's affiliated with them because she's so cheerful and approachable!

The two power-shared. PDP-1 acted as the matriarch of the DEC-tans; TOPS-10 mostly led them in their military strategy. That isn't to say that PDP-1 couldn't fight with the best of them.... >>

Not acknowledging WAITS was mostly a matter of distance and running in completely different circles. TOPS-tan might've been there for her birth, but after that... she might as well have lived on another planet. Not that they had any bad blood between them.

As for CP/M's link to TOPS-10....

Quote from: "Wikipedia"Various aspects of CP/M were influenced by the TOPS-10 operating system of the DECsystem-10 mainframe computer, which Kildall had used as a development environment.

And PRIMOS isn't so optimistic, just not willing to expend the emotion it would take to grieve for her lost company. If that makes any sense....