OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Oh. I see. That would be some good info for both TOPS-10's and PDP-1's articles, as well as an article on the DEC family!

Even if she isn't as optimistic as I thought, PRIMOS still seems cool and practical!

Krizonar

Quote from: "Bella"THEN REQUEST AN AVATAR CHOZO~ >:3
I can do that? even for a thing that isn't an OS/Computer? o3o

Aurora Borealis

I'm limiting it to OS-tans that don't have avatars yet in this project.

Krizonar

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"I'm limiting it to OS-tans that don't have avatars yet in this project.
That's what I thought.

Come to think of it, does the Apple newton have an Avatar?

And I think there needs to be more of an establishment for iPods/iPhones. They've always been kinda unorganized from what I've seen.

Aurora Borealis

Not yet. There were personifications of the iPod models from each generation, but it's gotten harder to keep track of them all.

Krizonar

Yay, I did something useful.

Hm, each model by each generation would be really difficult. I'd say just do it by model and for the most part disregard generations.
iPod nano;
iPod touch;
iPod Classic;
iPod shuffle;

iPhone. :)

Bella

Quote from: "Krizonar"
Hm, each model by each generation would be really difficult. I'd say just do it by model and for the most part disregard generations.
iPod nano;
iPod touch;
iPod Classic;
iPod shuffle;

iPhone. :)

THIS. Makes perfect sense.

Aurora Borealis

From reading this article: link, I realized my info on Windows 3.2-tan was incorrect, and that she's actually 4 years younger than her 'twin sister'!

Here's her corrected bio:

QuoteName: Windows 3.2
aka:
Debut: 1994
Height: 137 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Magenta
Hair: Grey

Quick Facts:

-The founder and the last Windows-tan of the Windows Family Overseas Branch, later Windows multilingual abilities rendered the division obsolete.
-Has lived as a wanderer ever since the overseas branch was obsolete.
-Strongly resembles Windows 3.1, but wears a purple+blue qipao, and has her hair tied in pigtails.
-Isn't Windows 3.1's twin sister, given their age difference, but resembles the part.
-Is accompanied by a rabbit representing DOS, akin to 3.1-tan's DOS kitty.
-Generally cheerful, but her lifelong experience as a wanderer has turned her into a skilled survivalist and thrill-seeker.
-Given her distant upbringing, the Windows Family isn't aware of her existence, and she's barely aware of theirs. Reluctant to meet other Windows-tans since most of them she has met turned out to be malicious bootlegs.
-However, she is well-acquainted with 95 OSR 2.1-tan, OSR 2.5-tan and 97-tan.
-Has also met and befriended Windows 1.0-tan and 2.0-tan, even though she's unaware of their status as real Windows-tans.
-Also friends with Mac System 3.4-tan and Commodore 65-tan.

Chocofreak13

yay, you're still using my avatar for 3.2 <333

but i'd like to ask if the dates are right? if 3.2 is FOUR year older than 3.1, then she debuted in 96', as 3.1 came out in 92' (the year i was born :3)
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Oops. Maybe I should have been bit more clear. 3.0 debuted in '90, 3.1 in '92 and 3.2 in '94.

3.0-tan and 3.1-tan are the same character.

Chocofreak13

ah, ok. my bad ^^;

also, as there was discussion of the os-tan world in the wiki thread, i took it upon myself to create the OS-tan theory thread, a catch-all place for anything we are discussing about the OS-tan in theory but have not yet established as fandom fact. this includes the OS-tan world, as well as the dead topics of Species and Family Trees.

it's quite the TEXTWALL, but worth considering if you feel like sitting down with a cup of [insert warm beverage here] for a good read.
click to make it bigger

Bella

And then, the -kuns appeared.

Emacs (who would be a Wanderer, no doubt)
-and-
Vi-kun (LUC member, naturally)

QuoteName: Emacs
aka: Editing Macros
Debut: 1976
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 180lb
Eye Color: brown
Hair: brown

Quick Facts:

-Son of TECO
-Raised by ITS-tan and rms during the heyday of the Hacker Culture
-Advocates the hacker ideals of freedom and community but is too laid-back to be considered a zealot
-Egalitarian, he associates with almost every OS-tan faction
-A professional writer-for-hire, goes by a multitude of pen-names
-Well-spoken, intellectual and suave he commands a large following of fangirls and boys
-Leads his own mock-religion, known by followers at the Church of Emacs
-Critics accuse him of being wordy and arrogant
-Has a rather large appetite
-His favourite sweet is ice cream
-Tends on the side of a ladies' man, has had romances with several high-profile OS-tans
-Locked in an ongoing rivalry with Vi-kun, playfully dubbed the “Editor Wars”
-Physically large for a text editor-kun; has long, wavy hair, gentle eyes, high-average weight. Dresses sharply.

Name: Vi
aka: Visual Interface
Debut: 1976
Height: 4'10''
Weight: 105lb
Eye Color: blue-grey
Hair: blonde

Quick Facts:

-Son of Ed and grandson of QED-kun
-A writer and avid reader
-Born at Berkeley around the same time as BSD-tan, with whom he shares a creator. Considers her his sister.
-A longtime assistant to and friend of Unix-sama
-Has a large following within the Unix and Hacker communities
-Known for a terse and simplistic style, much in keeping with Unix Philosophy
-Brusque and reclusive, has a reputation for being acerbic and difficult to work with
-Fans appreciate his no-nonsense policy and find it endearing
-While allied with the Unixes, he also does business with other OS-tans
-Rivalrous with Emacs; founded a Cult of Vi to counter his “Church”
-Unlucky in love
-Physically in his teens, small for his apparent age, thin, wears glasses. Dresses plainly in professional clothes.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

LOLed at Vi's and Emacs' cult-like rivalries! I never thought that text editors could be such serious business! I'll get to adding them.

Here's Whirlwind-hime!:

Bella

Text editors: THEY ARE SRS BSNS. Though the Editor Wars never devolved into the violence of the OS Wars (instead taking on a rather theatrical sports-rivalry-like status --think Red Sox vs. Yankees with less animosity).

GUH WHIRLWIND-HIME!!!! <3 it Aurora-sama!