Main Menu

Participation to hosting

Started by Fedora-Tan, February 10, 2010, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedora-Tan

Hello,

I am currently moving some domains to a server which is financially half the price of the current one, but also quite less efficient of course. I have 3 domains to move on it, and i already moved one, which show quite (very) poor results, performance-wise. I am a bit afraid about moving the rest as i'm not sure if it'll handle it at all.

I would like if, very honestly, if any of you would be interested in participating in the fees, as you surely are aware that i am paying currently and for years, 100% of the hosting fee myself while providing a entirely free service to all of you (and other domains).

I do not have anything to offer to you in exchange, but the idea would be that one member could donate 10â,¬ for a "Supporting member" status (or whatever else we can define, as long as it doesn't cost anything of course), which will be for exemple shown in your profile and / or on posts on the left.

I have to take a decision hyper-soon, as i have to eventually give back the older server at the end of the month.

Please, do not answer yes if it's no :)

If there is no other solutions, i will move everything to the new server, but may have to restrict some features to be able to keep the domains at decent online speed.

For information, current server is a dedicated server (therefore far from being cheap) and i cannot host on shared hosting, the ressources needed are way too high to be accepted on such low-end servers.

Fedora-Tan

I insist on the fact that if i put that in place, 100% of donations will be used for the hosting costs, and if there are any extras then they will be used for the site anyway (prizes, etc) but i don't think there will be any extras xD

Fedora-Tan

I don't know what i will do still now, it's just to see the possibilities, notice.

NejinOniwa

Ooooh it's a donation drive.

Caring as I is about my /osc/, this is important indeed...I may be able to set aside some of my less important funds for this, if needed.

I think it'd be very nice, however, if we could get a more detailed figure on the sums. Like, how much, how often, etc. 10â,¬, 10 users, yearly, monthly, or what? Fancy that.

Anyways, I should be able to shoulder some of this, despite my currently somewhat meager economy (since I rarely use what's free of it for anything useful anyway).
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

I'd be happy to do it once I get a job sorted.  Not sure when that's going to be, but hopefully soon.  As with Nej, I'd need details on the amount, how often, etc.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Fedora-Tan

Would be per year. I can cope with most of the hosting fees (i think it's unrealistic that i could cover expenses anyway) but every bit that is participated just helps.

NejinOniwa

Well, piece 'o cake, in that case. 10â,¬ isn't even much for me on that scale, I could probably give up more if necessary.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

;____; i realize i'm gonna have to get a job soon. i want to help you donate, but if my family was lower-middle class before, we're starting to tip nto the "poor" scale.....as of right now, i'm about to go on to college, there's a con coming up, and my mother needs a new car.

please alert me if there will be donation drives in the future, however (next year, maybe?).
click to make it bigger

Fedora-Tan

No problem :)

Like i said, i'm still on the "maybe" point. Just to know.

Xeon

I can't believed I didn't notice this earlier -o-.

So how exactly do we donate? Paypal? Credit Card?. Since I'm not a fan of credit card transactions online.

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

Fedora-Tan

I guess it'd be paypal.

Cash is too risky

SleepyD

as I do plan on entering in the workforce sometime this year or next, I'd prolly have something to spare by then.

Fedora-Tan

I'm putting something like that in place, but nothing will be forced. Those who can and want to help are welcome, but it'll be perfectly ok if you don't. Up to everyone  ;010

Chocofreak13

:3 this gives me something to do with the spare change left over on my visa gift cards! ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'd like to contribute, but I cannot spend any money online. :(