Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Lol double post. Why can't we delete posts anymore, WHY?! :<

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"I always imagined TOPS-10-tan as a general, and that VMS-tan would have been a colonel initially. Seems logical that she would have been promoted to general later on, though (VMS was DEC's most advanced OS). Ditto the lower for DOS/Batch 11-tan (it wasn't a particularly popular system) and Tenex-tan's dishonourable discharge (she never wanted to be a part of their military anyhow...)
The bold and just CINC DEC.  Somehow I imagine this
as her theme. Something appropriately marshal.  Everyone needs to start somewhere.  When I read the wiki article Tenex-tan, it seemed that her troops deserted instead of taking orders from VMS, so the order of battle got changed accordingly.  I felt kind of bad for DOS 11-tan, but in the end she got a death on the glorious field of battle.  Right, glad it makes sense.

TSS-8-tan is probable even more in the dark for me then the rest, so I sorta just stuck her in ^^'.  It seemed to me that at the time she debuted, DEC was small enough to need all hands on the frontline or maybe it was a Nathanael Greene scenario?.  As XO for TOPS-10-tan though, she'd have handled mostly administrative duties, and before she could be discharged or transferred to a staff position fate intervened quite rudely(?).

:D

And went on to represent the Ordnance Lab in the 1960 OS Games in Detroit for javelin toss and shot put.

It took some doing, but I finally found a Bunker-Ramo OS, excitement abounded.  She's an interesting system, no doubt and considering BR's shadowy nature she may be alive somewhere today...

Win

Well, if I don't count ORACLE (hardware) or AMDOS (dubious).  Yes!

Glad it works

Something about the name Elektronica combined with reading K-On! at the time inspired it.  RT-11-tan poster time!

Chocofreak13

i realize it's a bit late, but bella: russian. icedancing. idiots.

oh yea, were edvac and eniac from the 40's? i have a great interest in the 20's-40's period so if you need any period advice i'd be happy to help.

i also have a slight knowledge of 1900's to 1910's. :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Yep, they both are.  Though EDVAC was in service until 1961 when both it and ORDVAC were replaced by BRELSEC.

Chocofreak13

well like i said, if you need any help with styling and such, i'm a mild fanatic about those time periods. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Stewart-san"
The bold and just CINC DEC.  Somehow I imagine this
as her theme. Something appropriately marshal.  Everyone needs to start somewhere.  When I read the wiki article Tenex-tan, it seemed that her troops deserted instead of taking orders from VMS, so the order of battle got changed accordingly.  I felt kind of bad for DOS 11-tan, but in the end she got a death on the glorious field of battle.  Right, glad it makes sense.

It works! ^^ Ah yes, I nearly forgot about the VMS/Tenex rivalry, thanks for refreshing my memory. (I also forgot that most of the Tenex userbase decided to move to Unix rather than use VMS @@).

I wasn't sure how she died (I always supposed it would be at home. In bed. Or something). But yeah, that's probably better.

QuoteTSS-8-tan is probable even more in the dark for me then the rest, so I sorta just stuck her in ^^'.  It seemed to me that at the time she debuted, DEC was small enough to need all hands on the frontline or maybe it was a Nathanael Greene scenario?.  As XO for TOPS-10-tan though, she'd have handled mostly administrative duties, and before she could be discharged or transferred to a staff position fate intervened quite rudely(?).

Yeah, you're probably right... but I imagine she wasn't a very willing participant (I don't know that much about TSS-8 either).

QuoteAnd went on to represent the Ordnance Lab in the 1960 OS Games in Detroit for javelin toss and shot put.

It took some doing, but I finally found a Bunker-Ramo OS, excitement abounded.  She's an interesting system, no doubt and considering BR's shadowy nature she may be alive somewhere today...

Haha, I did a sketch of the OS-tan Olympics... I should post it. >.>

Bunker-Ramo is rather mysterioso, I can barely find any info on the company...

Quote from: "Choco-san"i realize it's a bit late, but bella: russian. icedancing. idiots.

oh yea, were edvac and eniac from the 40's? i have a great interest in the 20's-40's period so if you need any period advice i'd be happy to help.

i also have a slight knowledge of 1900's to 1910's. :3

I know, right? >.<;

Ah, thanks for the offer... I'm sure I'll take you up on it sometime. Especially as I research older and older computers... ^^

Chocofreak13

np. ^^ and they WERE idiots.
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"I wasn't sure how she died (I always supposed it would be at home. In bed. Or something). But yeah, that's probably better.

Maybe not better, but different.  

QuoteYeah, you're probably right... but I imagine she wasn't a very willing participant (I don't know that much about TSS-8 either).

Yeah, the Greene comparison really isn't too viable, but he was at one point a Quaker.  Too bad for her though.

QuoteHaha, I did a sketch of the OS-tan Olympics... I should post it. >.>

Bunker-Ramo is rather mysterioso, I can barely find any info on the company...

Shweet, do it.

They did electronics works for rockets/missiles, defense computers, and other.... things... Yeah I really have no clue, they fit the bill of mysterious defense contractor pretty well.

Chocofreak13

oo, OS-lympics? xD i know we were talking about OS Special Olympics in the computer forum....xD

anyway, post toast. ^^ and how's work on EDVAC and ENIAC? :3

.......ENIAC: any relation to GENIAC? <3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Okay then, I'll have to upload that OS-tan Olympics picture. (Only a couple weeks late, I guess... ^^'')

Work on ENIAC and EDVAC-tan has ground to a halt, but I'm sure I'll get my second wind. : \

GENIAC and ENIAC: Related only in the last four letters of their names. :P

Ideas!

Convergent Technologies OS-tan (aka CTOS, BTOS, STARSYS-tan)
-Worked for several government and military organizations, most notably the Coast Guard
-Native of Convergent Technologies, but also an honourary Bull-tan (that's GECOS-tan's current corporation, was one of Multics-sama's) and Burroughs-tan (yey!).
-Friendly with Windows NT-tan (CTOS workstations also supported WNT).
-Loves rats, keeps some as pets (I had a good reason for this... but I can't entirely remember it. A reference to some rat-maze-running-game in CTOS, IIRC...)
-Supposedly the third most used workstation OS in the 1980s
Physically, I see her as a young woman, boxy haircut/dress style (reference to the shape of the workstation), likes to dress in military-style uniforms. Seems to be deceased, sadly.

EVE-tan (aka Extensible VAX Editor-tan). EVE is a VMS text editor, considered the most usable native editor on VMS.
-EVE-tan is a rare female text editor
-Wouldn't know it to look at her, though, she's rather androgynous
-Opposite of Red-kun: EVE is quiet, withdrawn, non-confrontational
-BFFs with VMS-tan, much to the chagrin of Red-kun
Weird note: Emacs has a mode in which it can emulate EVE. I'll leave you with the odd mental image of Emacs-kun crossdressing as a fauxshonen woman...

Chocofreak13

heh, the coast guard. like military jr. xD

i figure since she worked for them maybe an outfit based on the coast guard uniform of the period might work out.

crosdressing as an androgynous woman....sounds like a bad episode of RuPaul's Drag Race ;]
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"-Native of Convergent Technologies, but also an honourary Bull-tan (that's GECOS-tan's current corporation, was one of Multics-sama's) and Burroughs-tan (yey!).

Hooray CTOS! Hey, RCA TSOS was a Bull-tan too, after a couple of different switches.

So female text editors do exist, eh?  That is an image I really didn't need...

Chocofreak13

why, you perv? xD

this forum is kinda dead except for this thread. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Me perv?

I want art skillz for Christmas next year :|

Chocofreak13

heh. i want copics and an apartment.
click to make it bigger