More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Bella"I COME BEARING PIX~!

FULLVIEW PLZ!

L-to-R:

-ThothOS-tan http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi08/cse221-a/papers/cheriton79.pdf [research OS, GECOS/Multics/Unix and RTOS-alike]
-EVE-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_VAX_Editor[OpenVMS text editor-tan]
-WWMCCS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWMCCS [Cold War era US military command and control system]
-ICL OpenVME-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVME [Multics-and-Unix alike [?], highend mainframe OS]
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_(computer_system) [revolutionary online collaboration system]
-Oregon State University Shop OS-tan (1970s academic OS)
-IBM DOS/360-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/360_and_successors [IBM mainframe OS, GECOS's supposed ancestor]
-SpriteOS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_operating_system [experimental Unix built at UC Berkeley]
-CTOS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTOS [workstation OS owned by Burroughs/Convergent Technologies/Bull]

ILU~~~♥♥♥

they all look lovely as usual, i especially like the one with the wing-ed head, reminds me a little of hawk girl from dc (?) comics. i can't read the captions on the pic though, they be a little too small. nice job though,and on the last one, i forgot to mention that. ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

Ah, thanks for the WWMCCS info! I'll have to give that a look. :D

Thank you Choco-san! SpriteOS-tan is the one with the winged hat. If you click the fullview link, you should be able to see the captions (just the names of the OS-tans, which I wrote down in the description anyway).

Anyway, my current obsession is making a Harvard Mark I (and possibly, II, III and IV)-tan.

Funfacts about Mark I:
-Built in 1944
-Considered the "dawn of modern computers" and the beginning of the digital age  (Eureka! I've finally found proof that Boston IS the cradle of computer civilization... I call it, Massopotamia >:3)
-First large scale automatic digital computer in the USA
-Used by the US Navy
-One of the most stable computers of its time
-Programmed, in part, by the famous programmer Grace Hopper
-Employed the Harvard Architecture

I have a few ideas for a Harvard Mark I-tan (-sama? -hime?); physically speaking, I see her as a mature woman, dressed in Byzantine-style fashion (which is sort of Romanesque but with a little more... flair...)

She was very intelligent and surprisingly psychologically-stable for her time, knowledgeable of military tactics and an excellent mathematician. She was an IBM native, but tended to ignore that part of her heritage-- she even refused to call herself by her IBM-given moniker, ASCC, instead adopting the name Mark I.

Her daughters (?) are Mark II, III and IV-tan; although she didn't see II or III-tan much, because they were stationed in Virginia. Mark IV-tan worked for the Air Force but stayed in Harvard.

Mark I-tan died at an unknown date, and her body is currently entombed in Cambridge.

Mark I-tan is possibly related to IBM SSEC-tan, the famous astronomer and rocket scientist (who legend holds worked on the 1969 Apollo moon mission). I have a few ideas for a SSEC-tan, but nothing concrete...

Chocofreak13

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! AND IT'S HOMEGROWN!!!
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

It's crack. ´3`
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: "Choco-san"IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! AND IT'S HOMEGROWN!!!

YES IT IS~! WE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY TO LIVE IN THE CRADLE OF COMPUTER CIVILIZATION. ;v;

(As evidenced by this simple equation...)

Naturally, the concentration of Hillbillies is in the far north of the state; the rest can easily be considered one huge extension of Boston (at least judging by the Bostonian-to-Native NHite ratio).

Quote from: "Nejin-kun"It's crack.  Â´3`

Crack is whack, Nejin! >:

stewartsage

HOORAY!! Mk. II and Mk. III WERE IN DAHLGREN, I'VE BEEN THERE! (actually the concept of high grade electronics on the Northern Neck makes me nervous....)

Hm, though aren't Hahvahd and MIT somewhat rivals?

Quote from: "Bella"Crack is whack, Nejin! >:

But pot is hot.... when it's on fire....

NejinOniwa

Well, at least weed isn't my feed...

I prefer my meals rich in iron. ´V`
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

...And suddenly, this thread has more drug references than a Steely Dan album. I wouldn't know about the stuff, I get high off my own sense of self-satisfaction, and the excess dopamine that my brain produces. >:3

Oooh, I love iron rich meals too. They help keep the anemia at bay. :<

WOOO, STEWART-SAN HAS FINALLY FOUND A LOCAL-ISH OS-TAN. MIT and Harvard are rivals, but they're rivals in the same neighbourhood.

Chocofreak13

i had an ex that went mushroom hunting in the graveyard where he used to work. :\

crack is whack, say nope to dope.

and i just remembered i have an ibm laptop somewhere.....i should track down tanky then determine if she has an os-tan or not. :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Classic Thinkpad?  I think most 700 series shipped with 98 and 800's ran NT sometimes on, but I have no idea what earlier models had.

I still want to do Smith-Corona SL-500-tan

Chocofreak13

yes, yes, you're right. she was running 98SE, so i suppose she DOES have a -tan.

is there a thinkpad-tan in the near future, or are you basing these ibm-tans on the software only? older OSes tend to blur the line a bit as one model could only work with one OS........so technically the -tan covers both. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I don't know to be honest.  But, I might do a Thinkpad-tan and Selectric-kun soon.

The thing with IBM hardware is, it was so widely used that all sorts of quirky variations variant OS's started cropping up .  Pretty much anything pre-1958 (like the IAS Machine Family or Whirlwind-hime) should be considered representing both hardware and OS, but post-'58 things get a little hazy.  At least in my mind.  For example, CDC-tans would cover both hardware & OS.  On the other side of the coin, I'd say System/360-tan would be a flighty, amorous chap who tends to make the many System/360 OS-tans kind of nervous.

Oh heck why not do one of them now.

Selectric-kun:
-One of the few male IBM-tans
-A rather heavyset fellow (have you ever tried to lift one of those things!?)
-Keeps a list of books written on his product
-In kind, likes to read.  A lot.  Anything.
-The well respected business manager/accountant/clerk/salesman in the family, even TOS-san doesn't totally hate him
-Travels a lot for work, has been everywhere twice and likes to talk about it.
-Covert operative for IBM Security, he get's access to place others wouldn't (You may not have an IBM computer, but you probably have a Selectric{valid 1961-now})
-Likes fonts a lot
-Possibly posses the ability to cross dimensional lines
-Juggles type balls for fun/show of to make a sale
-Determined, hard to stop him once he gets going on something

Appearance: heavy set, average height, generally wears a gray suit with jacket open, suspenders, balding, mustache, eye color changes periodically; usually blue or gray, sometimes red, often carrying a book or typewriter, laughs a lot

Chocofreak13

....did i just see a bot? o____o;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Bella

Sounds like a cool laptop, Choco-san! As for your question...

Quote from: "Choco"is there a thinkpad-tan in the near future, or are you basing these ibm-tans on the software only? older OSes tend to blur the line a bit as one model could only work with one OS........so technically the -tan covers both. :\

That should be up to you. Personally, I'm not fond of making modern hardware-tans, because so many modern PCs are generic "clones" of one another (as opposed to the old days when OSes and hardware were more dependent upon each other, or the very old days, when only hardware and rudimentary software existed).

But... if you have a good idea for a Thinkpad-tan, we'd all be happy to see it. The Thinkpad is a pretty iconic laptop (maybe some sort of jet-setting businesswoman?)

Quote from: "Stewart-san"The thing with IBM hardware is, it was so widely used that all sorts of quirky variations variant OS's started cropping up . Pretty much anything pre-1958 (like the IAS Machine Family or Whirlwind-hime) should be considered representing both hardware and OS, but post-'58 things get a little hazy. At least in my mind. For example, CDC-tans would cover both hardware & OS. On the other side of the coin, I'd say System/360-tan would be a flighty, amorous chap who tends to make the many System/360 OS-tans kind of nervous.

This is the pattern I've always had in my mind, with software and hardware-tans comprising different races (or even species?) within the OS-tan world:
-Pre 1950s: hardware-tans and software-tans are synonymous, because "software" was still in a very early state
-1950s: OS-tans count for both the hardware and software of a computer. Later on, some pure OS-tans existed (like IBSYS-tan).
-1960s: OS-tans are the norm, hardware-tans are still very important but begin to take a backseat to the software-tans (more portable OSes were emerging, lessening the importance of "xyz" architecture).
-1970s-80s: OS-tans become the vanguards of their respective companies and are more portable than ever before. The microcomputer-tans usher in a renaissance of hardware-tan popularity, though.
-1990s-00s: The meteoric rise of Windows, the OS Wars and Internet push OSes into the forefront of public knowledge and popularity; PC hardware becomes cheaper and more generic than ever (IE, millions of IBM PC clones), lessening the role of hardware-tans. Emulator-tans enter the picture; while software-tans, they display hardware traits too.

Keep in mind that I also analogize hardware with territory, properties and buildings in the OS-tan universe (because the hardware is the thing that houses/supports the OS)-- IOW, Multics-sama's huge mainframes would be akin to massive, classical-looking cities, while the Unix territory (minicomputers, workstations, etc) would be significantly more utilitarian and industrialized.

QuoteSelectric-kun...

Selectric-kun sounds like a jolly ol' chap, why I say. ^^b

I'm guessing the crossing dimensional borders thing is an homage to Fringe? >^.^<