More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

IBSYS is special!

Well, it is a Selectric 251.......

Chocofreak13

selectric. i like that name. like selina + electric.

electric moon....... ^^

and maybe i'll make a thinkpad -tan. i'm still a little miffed over the failure of android-tan, so expect something in a few days, maybe.

also, one could think of the ibm clones as almost like an army, with IBM-tan herself at the commanding helm.
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

You mean the IBM PC 5150?

Chocofreak13

i guess.....then again i suppose you're right....making one -tan for an entire -tan species is kinda hard.....

although there was a random mac pic floating around that i kind of declared just "mac-tan"
click to make it bigger

Bella

Ooopsie, I got IBSYS and BESYS mixed up. ^^' You know what I mean though, those rare, late-1950s OS-tans.

I've always been a bit put-off by catchall -tans-- not so much -tans for a single branch or family of OSes/computers, but company-tans and the like. I've seen Apple-tans and a Sun Microsystem-tan before... but whole companies seem too big and too complex to accurately represent with a single character. IMO.

Anyhoooo... my continuing research of ancient computers has made me ponder two new characters: CSIRAC-tan and Manchester Mark I-tan

Off the top of my head ideas--
CSIRAC-tan: somewhat utilitarian-and-masculine dressing (in an 1800s sot of way), dark skin, light hair, good-natured and no-nonsense. She's the pioneer computer in her country, and a musician as well. May have gotten along with DTSS-tan (!?), or at least communicated well with her. (CSIRAC used a programming language "similar to BASIC").
Mahnchesta Mark I-tan: Small-Scale Experimental Machine-tan's daughter, a Von Neumann, sparked a firestorm of controversy when she compared her intellect to that of a human (something that set back human-computer relations YEARS). A prolific lass, she had several children and influenced the IBM machines of that time. I see her as a rather wild, disheveled-looking woman, with long hair and messy clothing. Has a very pronounced Manchester accent.

Chocofreak13

manchester, england, or manchester, NH? :\

also, you guys might find this helpful in terms of costuming:
http://www.pastpatterns.com/

i'm REEEAL excited to start ordering stuff from here. ^^ (it's tiem for a REAL steampunk tea party! break out the 9-gored skirts and girdles!! xD )
click to make it bigger

Bella

Mahn-che-stah, England, not manCHESter NH. (It's ALL in the pronunciation!) Though it would be cool if she were from our neck of the woods. ^^;

That site is very helpful! Thanks for sharing. *bookmarks*

Chocofreak13

np. :3 and if y'all need any moar advice on antique time periods, ect. i'm here to help as much as possible. ^^

i'd be drawing -tans, but dk about most of them so i'd probably screw it up..... .____.;
click to make it bigger

Bella

You'll be the first person I ask when I need advice on old fashion (isn't turn-of-the-century through 1940s sort of your area of expertise?) ^^

C'mon Choco-san! Draw some! ^O^

stewartsage

Yes Choco-san, you've drawn the best RCA TSOS-tan!

Bella

I believe it was Aurora-hime who drew RCA TSOS-tan.

Any thoughts on Mahnchestah Mark I-tan or CSIRAC-tan, Stewart-san?

stewartsage

Aw crap, you're right.... and I wanted more TSOS lovin'.....

Sounds good to me ^^;

Chocofreak13

wat wat, wat?? i has drawn none!! ;___;

psssh.....alright. why not, i need to get off this binge of drawing gory nanami pics anyway.

i don't think we have an IBM portable 5100 yet....i'll draw that.

http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html

i'm thinking.....a spoiled rich girl who carries a suitcase around with her, like she is travelling (the 5100 was the size and weight of a small, packed suitcase). she likes tropical destinations (ran on PALM) and exotic locales a la 1900's society did. She is rather narcissistic (as she was a marvel in her time). She is slightly annoyed by Europe and South America (the display was slightly less compatible with external monitors in those regions). she also carries a radio (5100 could recieve remote signals), and has a small dog she takes with her named Em (5100 had an emulator to run programs made for larger systems).

she is intelligent, bratty, behind the times and refuses to accept that she is obsolete. you might find her marveling over the "exotic" locations such as hawaii xD

hey, while i'm at it, i think i'll do Wang 2200 as well. :3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_2200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5100
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Yesss, I'm sorry ;_; my memory isn't any good.  But, hooray!

5100-chan!  Those stupid European plugs, messing up everyone.  With her penchant for travel, I'm sure she'd have to deal with SABRE pretty often, but expect no particularly good deals (even for a fellow IBM)

Now I want to do a 5150-tan as a foil to 5100-chan, or at least PDP-11-tan for my school's old computer.  Maybe some MERT, TRIPOS, or maybe MONECS too.

Bella

Uwah, Choco-san, those are amazing ideas! :] I like the concept for IBM 5100-tan, not just because it's such an important computer (IBM's first non-mainframe, AND the first "portable computer") but also because you seem to have created a really fitting character for it.

Wang 2200? So that was like one of the first desktop computers, huh?

FYI, Stewart, C-quel made a TRIPOS-tan. MERT-tan interests me greatly, wiki says it's a spinoff of research Unix. @@ Other names for MONECS include SCUBA and DEAMON-- methinks she ought to be a diving enthusiast (woo, now OpenVMS-sama has a scuba diving buddy <3) with a bit of a devilish streak. >:B

Oh yes, and MONECS-tan MUST have a Macgyver-like penchant for making things with paper clips and other trivial household products. (Its students programmed on IBM punchcards that could be punched with bent paper clips lol).