Digital Complex: Artwork Thread

Started by CaptBrenden, October 17, 2005, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Intro:
This thread is where I, and the other artists, will post any conceptual artwork, model sheets, and general reference material. This will alow all the artist to be on the same sheet of music.  Consistancy in comics is good!

To become part of that Art Department see the OS TAN Comic Admin thread and apply!  Of course... feel free to post some of your artwork just so we can see what your skill level is (try to make it OS tan related, but other examples of skill are welcome)
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

CaptBrenden

UPDATE

Things are moving slow, but progress it happening!  Ive just purchased a new hardback sketch book Im dedicating to the project, Ive fixed the problems with my tablet and scanner drivers.

Ive also uploaded two quick sketches, and moved an older finished one from the fan art gallery to my own gallery.

For quick reference my gallery is:
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/gallery/index.php?cat=10255

the two new sketches:
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/gallery/display...?album=48&pos=0
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/gallery/display...?album=48&pos=1

and the old finished one:
http://ostan.blackdiam.net/gallery/display...?album=49&pos=0

I will be placing quick reference links to any artists working on the comic either in the Intro block of this thread or the main project thread eventually (when there are more artists then just me.)

Agelu

happy to know that... i'm anxious for more updates...  :yes:  

Darknight_88

Nice sketches Captain.
/me also anxious for more updates

Agelu

Try drawing the JPG i posted somewhere... do ur best.

CaptBrenden

most recent thing I have to post (scaning sketches this weekend for more stuff i did in the feild)

this Is the only one I finished, and its not compleatly done. It was mostly a color test anyways.  I picked my favorite pictire of 3.1 and Dos and inked and colored it up for a warm up and practice, also to help decide if we are going to use cell or soft shading.  this is soft shading, there is a gradual difference in the shade, rather then cell, that is a blocks of shade (like a cartoon)

Im gonna color it again, but this time with cell shading so we can compair.

go 3.1, I love you![/img]

Pitkin

I told this to you already, CaptainBrenden-san, but I'll say it again.

I love this picture of Win3.1; the picture is like a professional had drawn it, the gracious lady in it is charming in her somehow out-of-date looks with gothic style, and the cat is nothing short of adorable. ^_^

I look forward to seeing more of great pictures like this from you, Captain! Good work! *thumbs up*

CaptBrenden

as I said before, thanks :D

Im still working on a Cell shaded version, and ill be scanning the pages of my sketch book soon. I also plan on finishing all my model sheets soon (Ill be drawing alot on leave)  and I got tommarow off kinda, Ill be drawing then too.

Agelu

Pretty good work. Uh, how much took u to do it?

CaptBrenden

not long really, well cept for drawing it 3 times cus i wasnt happy how it turned out but I liked the pose.  that and the frilly bits were kinda a pain

Edit:

The first of the promised model sheets (some others have been sketched already, but Ill wait till their finished to post.)

Its presented colored without shade currently (color for reference purposes, Ill worry about shade later when I decide what style we are going to go with((soft or cell)))  

Things on its I would like to make note of:  
I did her shoes in brown. Now in most of the pictures Ive seen of 98, her shoes are usualy black, brown, or reddish brown.  I choose the brown because she already had a good deal of black on her and I wanted the color.   If anyone else has an opinion contrary to that please let me know.
Also, sometimes her shoes have been shown to be fancy high tech almost mecha like, but I opted for more standard normal shoes so that she wont seem as out of place if we decide to have her interact with the real world more (like going to school or something)

On the socks and gloves, Ive added detail lines for both wrinkled extra fabric a seams (on the back side of the gloves at least).  I asumed that the goves and socks would be made of roughly the same material (cotten Id say) and would then leave extra material. Another possibility is that its more of tights kind of material, which would leave it smooth the entire length.  Again any feedback contrary to what I have doodled would be appriciated.

Now I used a 6 head body proportion ratio as I felt it gave her a more child like feel.  98se will use the same, as will 3.1 I think.  Me will probobly use a 7 head ratio, as where the more adult characters like 95 XP or 2k will use a 8 head ratio.  Master might be more, with an 9-10, same with most of the Kuns if we use them at all.

Now Im sure we can all see there is a large amount of unused space on there, so you dont need to point that out.  That there will be used later for droping a few facial expresions and such, other visual notes that I may need to post for her.  For the time being though, Im concentrating on getting each character drawn up and basic costuming and look details hashed out, we can worry about slight diffences in how the characters show emotion/manurisums later.

Plus, Ill probobly draw a smaller model sheet of her snack box there later

I also did a nearly nude model sheet of her, (nearly meaning shes wearing her undergarments) so that if we ever need to design alternate costumes for her (pajama, work clothes, a holloween costume) its as simple as sketching a new outfit over her body from.  I dont feel and priticular need to post that at the moment as its just a work tool for myself, but anyone that wants to work on the artwork as well or wants to try sketching a new outfit over it for something let me know and Ill get you a copy.

Well Im off to work on inking the next pair of models sheets, plus I had a good Idea for a cute picture of 98 I wanna draw up.

Pitkin

Looking good, CaptBrenden-san. As I pointed out earlier, I also prefer the "thicker", wrinkly material for socks and gloves. She does look like the shy, courage-lacking Win98-san there's been some talk about now. ^_^

Sigh... what would I give for seeing her smile... poor Win98-san. v_v

CaptBrenden

I changes 98san look a little bit, she looked a little to timid.  Made her more cheerfull

Anyhow the reason Im posting is because I have decided that the comic itself is going to be done in traditional manga style with dot tones.  I just got a adobe photoshop plugin that allows me to do that.  it will save time and effort and and i think it will look great
color will still be done for promo art and cover arts

junichi

good day can i post an arwork here even its no digital art
cause i have no skills yet in digital editing.

do not be afraid to die for someone you love...

CaptBrenden

hey post what ever you want art wise, well minus hentai -.- there is a section for that. But digital or traditional post away.  You can post OS tan related or just samples of your skill

Kami-Tux

All the images either show 404-tan or a normal 404 error.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!