Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

TL;DR it was a long day, I'm too tired to ask what I missed and work on half baked Strike Witches RPG concepts.  See you all tomorrow after the funeral.

SleepyD

Quote from: stewartsage on May 12, 2011, 09:52:41 PM
TL;DR it was a long day, I'm too tired to ask what I missed and work on half baked Strike Witches RPG concepts.  See you all tomorrow after the funeral.

Dunno what's going on, but my condolences, and get some sleep~ Sleep solves lots of things!

And in other, happier news,
HELL YES KALAFINA AND VOCALOID CONCERTS AT ANIME EXPO WHOOOOOO

NejinOniwa

Today it's Friday the 13th.

:D
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

zjhentohlauedy

i feel the friday the 13th ness D:

i hate my life ;_;
My my, aren't you lovely~

Nichi

I should be careful just in case Jason shows up anywhere today

stewartsage

My brother is learning to play 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' on saxophone.  Good to see he's putting those years of band to good use.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: stewartsage on May 13, 2011, 02:49:30 PM
My brother is learning to play 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' on saxophone.  Good to see he's putting those years of band to good use.

I wish my little brother had the drive to play an instrument in band, but now he is really into guitar and is getting really good at it too (he is three months into it now and can play every Beatles song along with Chicago and Led Zep).

I happen to be using a client's son's Apple Powerbook G4 too see how its running, its pretty damn slow (with its 1Ghz CPU and 512 MB RAM) so I can under stand why they want me to look at it. The kid is only 13 and has a iMac, and other Apple products (This family is very rich for they run a funeral business which is "top of the line") along with the fact his father will buy him a new laptop if needed (for this kid, its needed...) I just have to test it for the weekend and if its too sluggish or anything I tell them its time to get a new one (which would be no problem due to the stacks of cash they got) but I want to make sure I give this powerbook G4 a good test! What should I try out on this laptop to really make it work hard (without killing it)? it has imovie, garage band, etc. already so I'll be testing all that out but what other programs should I slap it with?

Red-Machine

Some 3D games.  Best stress test of a machine.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on May 13, 2011, 03:23:28 PM
Some 3D games.  Best stress test of a machine.

Just attempted to watch a few youtube videos and open up another program at the same time...it couldn't take it and locked up with that rainbow wheel of death...this kid is going to need a new laptop because this thing is just too trashy.

Nichi

I saw something at work today that cracked me up. By the backdoor I always leave from, somebody taped a picture of Charlie Sheen next to the sign that says "Thank you for being part of the winning healthcare team". That made up for almost getting hit in the back of the head with a dirty diaper this morning

Krizonar

If the PowerBook g4 can't do those things, then yeah, it's not in good shape. Mine would do that easily, it's actually still a very useable machine.

However, which os is it running? Leopard is up to 20% slower on single core machines than tiger amd uses more ram, a major blow to performance.

Dr. Kraus

Its running Tiger but is lacking a TON of ram (it has 512MB)...

Krizonar

Yeah, 512 MB doesn't do much in this day and time. A 1 ghz PPC G4 is about equivalent to a 3 ghz pentium IV, which is still not fast enough to do much now.

They could upgrade the ram, but if they have enough money for a new one, I'm surprised they haven't already bought it, a G4 is very old, especially to be a 1 ghz model. I'd estimate that's an 8 year old computer right there, at youngest.

Red-Machine

I had a 350MHz G3 iMac with 512MB RAM and that coped rather well.  Must be something iffy with the OS or hardware.  Try putting in a new hard drive if you can and installing a fresh copy of Tiger and see if that helps none.  Or just use the customer's drive if they don't mind it being formatted.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

Its a 9 year old computer, the OS is actually OSX 10.5.7 "Leopard", and its filled with junk (10.4 GB out of its 55 which isn't that bad I guess). Turns out that they are just going to buying a new one and I'll get this one (according to my dad) so I'm going to search around from some RAM and get this puppy up to 1GB at least (I don't know if it will support 1GB RAM though so I would be grateful if you could tell me because searching the specs haven't taught me a thing.)

Update: RAM is going for $55 and its a 512MB stick so I might snag one or two depending how many slots are filled right now.