Main Menu

Old School

Started by svx, August 25, 2010, 01:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

It's pointless running MS-DOS on that thing, it might not even run at all.  Plus no game will work.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

You can always DOS Box/FreeDOS or something on your regular computer.  Not really all that useful unless you have some old DOS games or other programs to run though.  Always wanted to have a totally FreeDOS machine.

Pitkin

I use DOSBox practically daily, as most of the games I've played recently have been DOS classics I played (or saw someone else play more often) when I was a child. ^-^ That and it's way easier to make work than Wine so I've kind of ignored the Windows-based games. ._.

stewartsage

Man, I need a System 7 or 8 emulator to play my childhood games.  Hellcats in the Pacific, PT Boat, Number Munchers, Oregon Trail, Dino-something or other, Bugdom, Super Munchers, and ClarisWorks (yes, that was totally a game).

Am I the only one who always thinks of
this when seeing the topic title?

Chocofreak13

@stew: little bit. :\

i still wonder if i should play the copy of FF7 for the pc, or should i keep it mint condition......

eh, i've heard that the pc version doesn't do the game justice anyway. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I'm still able to play some of my favorite childhood games (from the System 7 era) on my G3 running OS 9.

@stew: There's Basilisk II, but I don't know how reliable it is. I've used it before a year ago or two, and it crashed a lot. It might have improved since then though.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 27, 2011, 11:51:06 AMi still wonder if i should play the copy of FF7 for the pc, or should i keep it mint condition......

eh, i've heard that the pc version doesn't do the game justice anyway. :\

It doesn't, especially if you don't have a 3dfx graphics card to get the enhanced 3D mode.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

I'd need a VAX emulator and an OpenVMS license to run my favourite childhood games. D,:

svx

Man, I must be getting old!

Feels like just a few years ago that I was playing Doom, the original Warcraft, Hexen, etc with my friend over a modem...

Had Windows 3.11 on a zip disk. But it was too new and unfamiliar to me  in the early 1990s!

Chocofreak13

i managed to get one of my old games to work in compatibility mode on here, though i've yet to play it, so i'm not sure. but it installed correctly, so i think it'll be ok. :3
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Speaking of compatibility, Total Annihilation runs in normal mode too, but it's a LOT better in 98 mode. WINNAGE WAS HA(R)D, dat AI is seriouse shit.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

should try out mindmaze one of these days....
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Atari computers on fire running for entire weeks Orion videogames.
I watched C=Amiga CRT-TV beams blitter circuitry plasma effects in the dark, and I installed and played with Minix near the Tannembaum-Torvalds Debate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to running Windows again.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

that sounds too epic for words.

oh, and when i read the first part, i thought you LITERATELY meant on fire. o___o;
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 07, 2011, 12:42:43 AM
that sounds too epic for words.

oh, and when i read the first part, i thought you LITERATELY meant on fire. o___o;

Who said it didn't? (snicker)  ::)
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]