If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: CanaryTan on February 21, 2011, 08:32:09 PM
Ive made an os before. I made one with cosmos and one with susestudio.

I think by "Making your own OS" it means to make EVERYTHING yourself such as the kernel (most people would just use Linux kernel than making your own) and all the little stuff most people wouldn't be able to understand without dumbing everything down to absolute elementary playground chat. though it is nice to make custom versions of Linux through helpful and simple engine can't really be seen as making your own OS because everything is given to you and you just have to make a few tweeks here and there to fit your needs. To me and most people I would think, making an OS is spending days upon months upon years even to make something completely unique for the user to experience, your not making an OS for yourself, you are making an OS for the community and the world to use and take advantage of! This isn't noticeable in most Linux distributions because for me, they all look the same and I'd be better off using just Ubuntu due to it having one of the more large communities. 

Rant end.

Chocofreak13

i was hit by an idea in the shower the other day (all the best ideas come in the bathroom, don't you agree?) about the linux distro that was supposed to be made and named after me. :\

it was going to be like a linux version of nanami. but i was thinking, i don't want people hacking the distro, trying to change it (they can do that with some other one). so i wanted to put in a failsafe that if someone tried to affect some of the kernel, it would unlock a hidden side to the os (basically, when you downloaded it, it would be all sweet and anime and nice, but if you tried to hack it, you'd lose the ability to use the cute side, and a different set of sounds and whatnot would become the default). the hacked side would consist of japan's greatest horror hits (a few sounds from the Red Room animation, some stuff inspired by the list of japanese crimes, etc), and any attempt to reinstall the os would overwrite the os disk, turning it into a copy of the hacked version (like a virus).

some people might actually like the hacked side better......even though i'd try my hardest to make it as sick and depraved as possible. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

The bad part about that is that I'm pretty sure it's breaching the GPL on any number of points. >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i am unfamiliar with this PL that you speak of.... >>;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

GNU Public License - the usage license for Linux, and just about everything else "open source" that's not BSD. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

If people wanted to use an OS that's an unhackable, kludged-together monstrosity, they'd just use Windows.

PA-DUM-TSCH~

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on February 24, 2011, 09:18:52 PM
If people wanted to use an OS that's an unhackable, kludged-together monstrosity, they'd just use Windows.

PA-DUM-TSCH~

Lalz nice one bells! of course Windows is pretty much the standard for everything now...

Red-Machine

PA-DUM-TSCH~

Yes, Bells.  And if people want to be left wide open to attack, they use Macs.  When WILL they patch those security holes..?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

CanaryTan

PA-DUM-TSCH~

That reminds me of this one thing on the big bang theory when Raaj told everyone how sheldon got punched by bill gates xD
Sheldon went up to bill gates and said 'Maybe if you weren't too busy worrying about sick kids and africa you could've made windows vista better'
xDD Bill Gates was at their University or something. 
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Krizonar

If I made my own OS, Apple would sue me for copy pasting their OS.

Only difference would be the startup sound is replaced with chariots of fire and the blue screen replaced with "insanely great" in size 80.6 font. You then press enter to stop the music and enter your computer.

Bella

@Red: Huh. Yeah. I can just think of how many virii I've caught using OSX. No, wait, that was Windows. I guess maybe Unix IS more secure. Since, you know, it's fsckin' UNIX.

http://images.apple.com/macosx/security/docs/MacOSX_Security_TB.pdf

@Canary: I lol'd. xD

@Krizo: THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER. Eh, my dream OS would pretty much be an x86 clone of Multics with the X Window System and the GNU Toolkit. Laws of the known universe breaking as it is. >____>

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on February 25, 2011, 11:55:23 AM
@Red: Huh. Yeah. I can just think of how many virii I've caught using OSX. No, wait, that was Windows. I guess maybe Unix IS more secure. Since, you know, it's fsckin' UNIX.

That's not called being secure, it's called using an OS that nobody can be bothered to hack, so security is not something Apple worries about.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on February 25, 2011, 12:22:18 PMThat's not called being secure, it's called using an OS that nobody can be bothered to hack, so security is not something Apple worries about.

For one thing, it's cracking not hacking. I know you know the difference, so don't use improper terminology. And I'm sure OSX has been cracked - no matter how secure an OS is, somebody's going to be able to do it - but who would want to when Windows machines are there for the taking?

To use a metaphor, using Windows is like living in a ghetto. You're surrounded by a massive crime problem so you need multiple locks on your doors, bars on your windows, guns at the ready and the police are always in your neighbourhood investigating murders and break-ins. Using a Mac is like living in the countryside or a gated community - there's no crime to speak of and the people are relaxed perhaps to the point of complacency - although they live in secure homes, they chose to leave their windows open, doors unlocked, and their weapons are out of reach. Which brings me to one last point...

A lot of security issues in Unix arise from user stupidity - something as simple as NOT using the admin account as your main account can make things a lot safer (the Linux community has known this time immemorial, thus the need to make separate admin and user accounts when you set up some distros). In my experience Windows is a non-secure OS that needs a lot of user intervention to keep safe; Unix is inherently secure but that can be undone by a reckless user.

svx

If I designed an OS...

It would... Be just like DOS.

Except it would randomly reboot into Katamari Damacy. And it would autocorrect every command you type.

C:\> dirt *.*
Bad command or file name.

C:\> cd apps
Rebooting for some Katamari.
10, 9, 8, 7...

Chocofreak13

y'know, one of my drawings for the project today was katamari damacy themed. :3

my dream os would utilize a built-in webcam for holographics. depending on version or user choice, holographic would be limited, or all the way up to controlling the whole os (outside of typing and manual powering on/off).
click to make it bigger