Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Could most of the PDP-8 OSes be lumped together by a few characters? Most of them sound pretty similar. I know that OS/8-tan also represents MS/8 and PS/8 and its variants. I recall long time ago that a TSS-8-tan was mentioned with some details, but was a design ever made for her?

Chocofreak13

usually i don't like that, but i'm inclined to agree on this one...

maybe a bunch of -tans in an overcoat....
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

....I might get around to them.  TSS 8 has been incorporated into the DEC fluff for a while, you'd have to ask Bells for a design though.  Think she got drawn once.

Chocofreak13

i respect the desire to -tan every computer. i deeply respect it. but in situations like this, it reminds me of what aurora (?) said: try to make it not just a one-shot character. i'm afraid it might turn out this way for this one. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on February 07, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
Could most of the PDP-8 OSes be lumped together by a few characters? Most of them sound pretty similar. I know that OS/8-tan also represents MS/8 and PS/8 and its variants. I recall long time ago that a TSS-8-tan was mentioned with some details, but was a design ever made for her?

THIS.
THIS. THIS. THIS.

For the record: the only DEC OS-tans I recognise as "canon"/plan to include in any potential stories are the ones everyone remembers: VMS, RSTS, RT-11, DOS/Batch-11, RSX, Vaxeln, TENEX, TOPS-10, TSS-8 and OS/8. I don't discourage the creations of others; but we aren't going to have enough material to make them into really rich characters.

Aurora Borealis

How about this: Rainbow 100, DEC's attempt at a home computer? It would be a hardware-tan, instead of an OS-tan, but I have some ideas for her character if you're interested.

EDIT: Another obscure vintage computer I thought was interesting: Kenbak-1. A revolutionary meant to be a personal computer for the masses (released in 1971), but flopped (only 40 were produced) since the public just wasn't ready.

Chocofreak13

both of those sound like super-obscure unique characters. PERFECT. >:3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Excellent!

Rainbow 100-tan: A cadet in the DEC Military, never got promoted due to poor track record. Is physically a teen or pre-teen, a girly-girl who wears part of her uniform but also dresses colorfully, wearing many hair ribbons of various colors. Has an identity crisis, wanting to be professional, be IBM-compatible (can run MS-DOS, but still defecting from their standards wanting to also be a non-conformist, and thought she could have it both ways. Hypocritical, or short-sighted? Her strengths are that she's a great multitasker, and has a zen-like attitude towards life.

Strangely enough, I think in the present-day she's be in the CIOST, learning from the great VMS-sama on how to be badass! :D

Kenbak-1-tan: A sadder character. Wanted to do her part in ushering in the era of the personal computer-tans, thinking that her friendliness, helpfulness and technical skill would be enough to convince the masses, but got largely ignored and ultimately died alone. Altair-tan and IMSAI 8080-tan saw her as a role model, being the first two (significantly) commercially successful personal computers, they didn't really give her much recognition (post-humously?) since they both had huge egos back then.

However, in the internet age, there may be hope for vindication as Vintage-tans find out about her ambitions.

Chocofreak13

hopefully kenbak-tan got a proper burial. ;__;

part of me could see Rainbow being friends with Amiga. it seems that both would have a bubbly personality. ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I could see that too! Amiga-tan can even relate to Rainbow-tan's military experiences! I think Rainbow-tan would be an ally to the Binteeji Renmei as a whole too. She's also friends with Windows 1.0-tan and 2.0-tan (Windows 1.0 was ported to the Rainbow at least.)

Well... to prevent Kenbak-tan's fate from being even more depressing, I think she was able to die with dignity and get a proper funeral paid for and attended by the few dedicated followers she did have. Also, it's possible she might not be *completely* dead (like many 'deceased' OS-tans) and may still live on in some form.

Chocofreak13

still sad. ;__;

and yay, at least one of these new -tans has friends. ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'd never even heard of the Kenbek 1 until you mentioned it so I don't have a great deal to say about her character; but Rainbow-tan sounds right on the money. Good call for suggesting her being friends with Amiga-tan, Kari! :^D

Chocofreak13

to be honest, when i try to picture rainbow-tan, half the time i see amiga for some reason....that's probably why i suggested it, lol. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger