Why servers are such a pain in my @!*

Started by Dr. Kraus, October 10, 2010, 10:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

For the past 6 too 7 hours I've been trying to install Win2K on a Dell Poweredge 600SC server so It can be used for my school's robotics club (Which i'm a part of) because we need a system that can run Win2k for Lego Mind storms. The huge part of the server giving me problems is the RAID card (Top of the line card went for around $400 in its day) because of the drivers needed for 2K to boot. After a while I was able to get the drivers and it took me an extra 2 and 1/2 hours to get the drivers on a floppy disk without errors or any problems. When I saw the drivers install correctly and the formatting of the drive to start a huge smile came across my face, finally! this long and frustrating journey must be at an end! WRONG.

The Win2K disk was missing one file, one tiny file that told me that I wasn't going to be installing this OS anytime soon on this server.

mraid2k.sys

The name of this file will linger in my head for the remainder of this week (probably more). Now the MGCS (Mobile-Ghetto-Computer-System) will have to be used while this Dell Server tests my patience.

DAMN YOU DELL POWEREDGE 600SC, DAMN YOU!!!!

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "Dr. Kraus"For the past 6 too 7 hours I've been trying to install Win2K on a Dell Poweredge 600SC server so It can be used for my school's robotics club (Which i'm a part of) because we need a system that can run Win2k for Lego Mind storms. The huge part of the server giving me problems is the RAID card (Top of the line card went for around $400 in its day) because of the drivers needed for 2K to boot. After a while I was able to get the drivers and it took me an extra 2 and 1/2 hours to get the drivers on a floppy disk without errors or any problems. When I saw the drivers install correctly and the formatting of the drive to start a huge smile came across my face, finally! this long and frustrating journey must be at an end! WRONG.

The Win2K disk was missing one file, one tiny file that told me that I wasn't going to be installing this OS anytime soon on this server.

mraid2k.sys

The name of this file will linger in my head for the remainder of this week (probably more). Now the MGCS (Mobile-Ghetto-Computer-System) will have to be used while this Dell Server tests my patience.

DAMN YOU DELL POWEREDGE 600SC, DAMN YOU!!!!
lolDell

Red-Machine

Just torrent a new ISO.  That'll sort you out!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

that what you get for using a dell -w-;

i'd say download the file, but that'd probably entail another hour of work, so i vote for red's idea.

sides, wouldn't a server OS be more suiting>? :\
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Lol, server OS would be more suiting for sure but it's not even being used as a server. It's what my robotics club will be using for programing the Lego mind storms and I don't think the school would like having a server as powerful as this (more powerful then what they have I know this because they are still running the school network off win2k server) being used by the most successful hackers of the school network (myself and a friend, in fact I'm on here through the school network right now and this is supposed to be blocked ;P). But I think I will put server 2k on it again because it has a legit copy with it now that I think about it.

Also nicknamed the server "USS Badass" because it's alot more Badass looking then all the other Dell's in the school.

11076ddz

dells been known to not like standard hardware i mean who comes up with DDR-F ram? money hungry penny pushers.

i understand you need a server but why not just get a network attached storage device (nos) that runs raid and ghost it?. if your worried about security put the nos on a closed network.

just a easy alternative, depends on what u need. sounds like all you need is a data center.