OS-tans, Species, and Evolution

Started by Aurora Borealis, May 23, 2010, 12:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

File types is one thing I'm hesitant to - it just seems like one thing to many in the bottle...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@Nejin: logically, firmware could fall under the same assumption. but it adds an interesting element to the storyline, and to be honest, if you could find a species for them to fall under, be my guest, cause i just can't. =\

@Bella: i was proposing that we set down the basic species now, then we can start working on genus, phyus, ect.
click to make it bigger

Alex S

Besides, file type -tans have been created. Just look in the Gallery.

Would this be a bad time to bring up my previous idea of calculator -tans as mercenaries?

Chocofreak13

this is more about species than -tan types.

that's like making Mac-tans and Windows-tans seperate species. they're both OSes.

this is a rare moment when i'm speaking not of the fandom.

seriously you guys, you guys, seriously. yay or nay? =\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Each 'class' of OS-tan should still be the same species, just of different cultures. Still support the idea of calculator-tans as mercenaries.

Chocofreak13

i like the idea. sounds cool for storyline purposes.

guess i proposed a vote prematurely, forget it for now then. (sorry if i seem a little bitchy, combo of bad mood + it seems like my message ain't gettin across. =\ )
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Hmm... I read through the whole first page... and the post above. I clearly understand that you people are trying to define clear categories for '-tans. So I have the following question to make:

Why is "firmware" set apart from anything?

To me (and judging by the Wikipedia article)... it would just be the software form of hardware. So it would fall under "OS" or "Software".

Hmmm... this got me thinking too much and brought me right into taxonomy. But yeah, you can use basic taxonomy to separate most of the species and evolutions through the different taxonomic ranks/categories. At least that will allow for Firmware to exist somewhere... or not... lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

NejinOniwa

Yeah, that sort of thinking is what has me doubting as well.

Chocofreak13

because the OS-tans are a double-edged sword: in addition to the technical aspect, we also have the storyline to think about.

firmware is both hardware and software. this means it could fall under the hybrid category, but for STORYLINE purposes, it makes it interesting to have firmware as a category.

it feels too generalized to have it just be hardware, software, and OS as the species.

we could expand it further, but by my count, we currently have:
Hardware
Software
Firmware
OS
Hybrid
Filetype

if this still bothers you, we COULD move firmware to the hybrid folder, and just have them be a lower class than the rest (or something).
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Well, I don't know about you guys - but my experience as a writer is that generalizing tends to be the better option instead of specifying (and that's despite me doing a LOT of specifying in my works) at most times. I'm just doubting whether it'll come to use at all if we do branch it off; then again, we're multiple writers so one might use what another might not...gah, so annoying. -_-;

Chocofreak13

that's the benefit of having multiple writers, one person = one species or the like.

i'm a comic artist. and from my experience, details can make all the difference. i try not to generalize (except for crowd scenes, like the barfight i drew the other day), so that each thing sparkles in its own right. sure, it takes a little while, but the results are worth it.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

I suppose that's very true for comics; The reverse rules for literature, since you just can't take it all in in one glance like you do with an image.

Kiso

If anything... I have done both and can agree with both. But then... hybrids of anything can exist and firm ware can just be it's own kingdom in between hardware and software... at least there it could better represent itself.

Hmm... I think I feel the need to create an evolution tree to represent what I have thought up so far.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

i made a small chart, but it's mainly for class purposes....

threw this together. up for debate since we haven't taken a vote yet.

and The Hobbit had plenty of detail. What's your excuse?
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I think the hybrids should still be equals to the OSes, at least for storyline purposes.

With class, are you referring to purely a social/caste one, or a social/economic one?