Optical drive region questions

Started by AMDKurt, April 28, 2010, 12:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMDKurt

Well, this is my first thread so i hope this doesn't offend any rule or something. Anyway, onto the subject. I was thinking a bit earlier about my recent anime shopping. I bought the 2nd, 3rd and 4th volume of Genshiken. The dvd's were coded in region 2. Then i saw Genshiken 2nd season on US import, and i though; well i'd like to have those eps but my optical drive can't take em since the dvd's are region 1. So i gave it a bit more thought and then a question popped up in my kind: Can you buy a regular region 2 optical drive and somehow convert it to region 1? You guys know some tech, can you help me out? If it can be done i can play european, japanese and US dvd's wich would greatly expand my anime choices. Im not very good on region codexes so help would be appreciated ^_^

Red-Machine

You can do it in Windows.  If you are on XP or older, right-click My Computer and click Properties.  Click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.  For Vista & 7, right-click My Computer and click Manage; then click Device Manager on the left.

From there, find your drive and open up its Properties.  Click the DVD Region tab, then choose a country that corresponds to the region you want, then click OK.  Note that you can do this a maximum of 4 times, then your drive will be locked to that region.

Now watch your Region 1 DVDs!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

See, this is what makes the entire thing with buying anime so charmless (especially for us R2's). It's a hassle to manage, it's a hassle to play, it's a hassle to bring around, it's just bothersome in general - add to this the fact that the dvd's seldom cost less than your common movie, and are greatly more numerous (what with 3-4 eps on a disc with 12-50 or more total per series) - it makes the entire affair VERY unattractive indeed.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Indeed it does.  I bought Infinite Ryvius volumes 1-4 while I was in the States one year because you can't get it in R2.  It took me almost three years to get 5 & 6, and even then I had to pay more than I wanted.  Plus, Gunslinger Girl II - Il Teatrino STILL hasn't been released in R2, so I'm either gonna have to buy it R1 and only use my hacked portable DVD player to watch it or wait until they do.  PAL ALWAYS gets the short straw.

AMDKurt

Ok thanks very much Red ^_^ Another DVD reader cost about 30 euro here so it ain't that bad ^_^ I have to agree with buying anime, i rarely  buy eps but a full harddrive is no fun at all and a couple of dvd's on my desk is imo :P

NejinOniwa

You COULD just spend that money on a portable hdd, you know... 1tb of glorious winnage, and such. -w-

AMDKurt

I did actually buy a 1tb external HDD today XD

NejinOniwa

You sure are splurging your stuff, lately...
Tch. Rich bastard. -_-

AMDKurt

Lol, im almost broke XD I will get new money tomorow though :3 Since im a student i only make 1050 kroner a month XD

NejinOniwa

HUR I HELVETE KAN DU KÖPA SVINDYRA KORT FÖR DITT STUDIEBIDRAG, POJKVASKER >_>

Sparar du på skiten, kanske?

AMDKurt

Jag har sparat sedan oktober förra året ^_^

NejinOniwa

Har du måhända hört talas om fenomenet, "skaffa ett jobb"? Pengarna rullar in snabbare på det viset ^v^

Red-Machine

AMDKurt

Nej tyvärr någonting sådant har jag inte hört talas om. Ok, skämt åsido, ja, i princip varenda unge nuförtiden försöker få jobb, jag anser att jag inte har speciellt stora chanser mitt i botten av denna för jävliga lågkonjuktur då inte ens de utbildade kan få jobb, så jag lägger tiden på mina studier istället.

NejinOniwa

Mer och mer medveten blir man...(inget illa menat) Jag är väl på väg in i samma vägg jag också, tyvärr ;w;

Well, let's exclude this little delanguaged rant here -w-