Which of these video cards would you go for...?

Started by coldReactive, April 26, 2010, 02:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldReactive

---- (100 USD) SPARKLE SXT2202048D2-NM GeForce GT 220 2GB 128-bit DDR2

---- (390 USD) SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100282-2GVXSR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Both are one card, one PCI Express Slot. However, there are subtle differences as you can plainly see from these lines above. But there are even more differences when you go a-looking for them (Use Newegg.)

-- The SPARKLE has no DirectX 11 Support.
++ The SPARKLE Only Takes up one Back Slot.
-- The SAPPHIRE is ATI that takes up two back slots,
++ but only one PCI Express Slot.
++ The SAPPHIRE is DirectX 11 compatible.
-- The SAPPHIRE is 390 USD...
++ The SPARKLE is 100 USD. (Yes, you heard me, a 100 USD 2 GB One Slot Video Card, from Nvidia.)

Red-Machine

Well, the HD 5850 is superior to the GT 220 by a HUGE margin; but I personally prefer nVidia.  Anything less than a GT 250/260 is no good for gaming I'm afraid.  The GT 220 is probably the 200 series equivalent of an 8400/9400, if that.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

coldReactive

Yeah, I figured as much, guess I'll just have to save up 2000+ USD for a custom computer I want, sadly.

And with only about 300 USD to save each month, it'll take a while.

AMDKurt

I got an XFX RAdeon HD 5850 just now, it can run crysis warhead on max on about 30 fps ^_^ I'd recommend the sapphire, though it's your choice wich one to buy ^_^

NejinOniwa

Well, my experience with graphics cards is not all extensive - I have to say, however, that aside from the horribly noisy fan, my 4870 has been chugging on for massive winnage ever since I bought it. I haven't tried any regular Nvidia cards, but LAMBDA has a 1GB 9600M installed, and it can run serious shit on full 1080p resolution (like Musou Orochi X, which is a PS3 port). I haven't put it through its full paces yet, but the reviews when I bought it stated it was capable of running Crysis at regular resolution without problems, so I guess it's a pretty good card.

That said, Sapphire is a good brand, and I'd trust it over the SPARKLE one just for the name (ugh >_>) - besides, you DON'T want to spend ANY money on a graphics card that's not at least CLOSE to top notch. Stay with the 5850, I say. Actually thinking of upgrading mine as well, just to be rid of the noisy fan of my old card -w-
Kurt, whaddya pay for your card, and where did you buy it?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

AMDKurt

@nejin: Media markt XD I payed 2900 kr XD

EDIT: The 5850 is MASSIVE though, so if you are going to buy it make sure you got enough space in your chassi ^_^' I was forced to remove one of my harddrive holders in order to fit my card in my chassi XD

NejinOniwa

Well, my 4870 takes up 2 slots anyhow, so yeah - the chassi IS pretty big, too.

AMDKurt

Ok, go for the 5850 then ^_^ I can really recommend XFX, im very satisfied with my card so far ^_^

NejinOniwa

Confusing, since I've heard nothing but bad news of XFX...then again, I haven't been in the graphics card business in a while, so maybe they've bettered up.

Red-Machine

I have a Gainward Bliss 8600GT 1GB, and as far as I am aware, Gainward is one of the longest-running nVidia partners.  So they are a safe bet to go for.  There is serious cooling and factory OC'ing on this card; double-slot, heatsinks on the RAM chips front and back and another heatsink on the rear of the GPU, all without additional power.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

AMDKurt

@Nejin: Well, i have never tried XFX before, but so far it's doing great. From what i heard their reputation is pretty good :3

NejinOniwa

Interesting. Well, it's not like I'll be upgrading before I get my hands on some money, so it's gonna be a while, I guess...