Mac Intro Screens Throughout the Ages

Started by Bella, November 06, 2009, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Jobs wasn't CEO at that time.

The way that this computer runs is by dividing up the motherboard into two halves.  Left 32, and right 32.  On the left you have CD-ROM drive, Comm slot and Processor Direct Slot.  On the right you have floppy drive, hard drive, RAM, SCSI interface and the ADB bus.  Anything on the right hand side can just go straight into RAM without much fuss, but EVERYTHING on the left has to go through the processor.  Which not only slows down the transfer, eat also eats up compute cycles.  It makes for browshing the web incredibly slow, as ethernet cards use either the Comm slot or the Processor Direct Slot.  Also, browsing neccessitates constant communication between the RAM, processor and ethernet interface, so the information is always going back and forth between them.  I have a 15.4MBps connection, and this thing runs slower than dial-up!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Just bought an indigo iMac for work.  Picking it up today.

500MHz PowerPC G3
384MB RAM
20GB HDD
OSX 10.3 Panther

All for £25, or about $35.

NejinOniwa

I don't see how that makes it much better... <-<

Red-Machine

CD-RW drive appears kaput.  I'm gonna try some computer alchemy on it when I get home.

EDIT: CD drive is semi-kaput, and now screen is on the blink.  I'm sending it back if the guy will play ball.  No returns my ass!

NejinOniwa

If I tell you "i told you so", will you get angry with me?
´-`

Red-Machine

NejinOniwa

Red-Machine

Hey Bella-san, check this out.  It's the welcome video of the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbKNfoQUP8