Anime dead in U.S.?

Started by MisterCat, January 09, 2008, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Just for a perspective, I get absolutely no animu at all on television and there's 4 stores in all sweden that sell any of it. Manga is available in most bookstores, but still in -very- limited amounts, aside from 6-7 niche shops.

Throughout the entire nation.

That's where the 3rd highest bandwidth in the world comes to play >:3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

I have nothing against it, personally Choco.  Most of the anime I have now I originally torrented.  But I'm lucky that we have a chain of stores over here that ALWAYS has an anime section and they go for cheap most of the time.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

there's a nice chain around here called newbury comics, and they sell anime for dirt-cheap.

only trouble is, while i got a limited edition box set for 3 bucks, it was supposed to come cds, and it didn't.

and it's a tad out of the way, and i usually don't have the cash for stuff (prices seem to range from 3 bucks for basic box sets that are missing stuff >:\ to 25 for hal a season of FMA in a tin. )

and the selection is limited, cause all of it's used. the section covers about an entire shelf (picture, for a moment, your basic free standing store shelf. about a meter across, 1-2 high or so, usually paired with several others. the section covers one side of one of those.) and there's alot of boxed sets which just take up space, so there's not too much offered, when you think about it.

and i reitrate: there are bunches of series that never make it across the pond(s). so torrenting is the only option to get those forbidden fruits.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Indeed!  Tho there's some stuff that I'm amazed got anywhere near liscenced.

The Story of Little Monica, for instance, is basically a hentai.  Two of the girls the main character sleeps with are 12 & 14.  How the FRACK did they get around that?

Chocofreak13

because, probably back when it was made, cartoon kiddie p0rn wasn't illegal. it was only b&ed recently.
click to make it bigger

Ultimaninja

Last anime I watched...Kanokon And that was sometime in the spring.

The anime I like I only can find three-times a Year, and even then there is a 79% chance it will not even be in stock.

I torrent the anime I like, and if I could find it I'll buy it.

And people are right, it is hard to find anime that is not always overdone for plot line. Kanokon was a bit different, but kinda generic for story-wise.

NejinOniwa

Kankokon was just fanservice imo, but meh.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Ultimaninja

Requiem

Huff,it's nearly impossible to buy an original anime DVD in my city.
The only way to get an original anime is by buying it from internet...
and it's really expensive for me...

Chocofreak13

exactly. UBER expenses for any sort of anime have driven us to pirate. it's easier, cheaper, and quicer, with alot more variety and alot less hassle.
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

UBER expenses?

For folks that have to import, I understand, but here in America, it isn't that bad.  I mean, during a recession there's other stuff one should spend one's money on, but really the price of animu has dropped considerably since I first started watching.  Places like BestBuy and AnimeNation have great prices, and almost always have something on sale.  The prices are generally comparable to any other DVD, really.  It's not there's some big, bad organization conspiring to keep you from having animu.  If you pirate for whatever reason, that's fine, but let's try to stay grounded in reality now, shall we?

The Choice of a New Generation.

Red-Machine

It's not comparable.  At least not here.

I could buy all the Babylon 5 boxsets for £65.  Now, that's 5 series with 6 discs each.  The Elfen Lied boxset is £50 in the same shop, and that's only four DVDs.  The same with Negima.

IanDanKilmaster

I did say in America, though... I have no idea how it is elsewhere.

I just think there's just a wee bit of exaggeration going on in regards to the expense stateside.  I mean, I could afford it, and I'm not exactly Daddy Warbucks here...

Chocofreak13

i see it from a poor perspective
every new dvd is AT LEAST 30 bucks. there's a best buy, but i never go to it (too out of the way) and i've never even heard of anime nation (what, do you live with the CiCi's and stuckey's or something?), so used anime is cheap, but new crap is FUKKIN EXPENSIVE, especially when you can't even afford to keep your phone. (srsly, we went w/o phone service for about 2 weeks or so earlier this month. you remember, right nejin?)

sides, VAREITY. why am i gonna spend my non-earned cash on something stupid like a pokemans spoof?
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

No, I live out in the sticks...

The nearest Best Buy is in a city a couple of hours away, but I was mostly referring to their online presence.  AnimeNation is a website, dealing specifically in anime merch.  I'm only trying to make the point that it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.  Like I said, I can understand if you're unable to afford it, but it's not like you're a bandido and the "animu conglomerate" is Porfirio Diaz or something.  You just want to see animu and are currently unable to afford it, does there need to be a bad guy?