Introduction to anime

Started by SleepyD, June 21, 2006, 05:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

*trots back in*

Noooooooope!  Ã,¯.Ã,¯

I've got Hexagon 2.1 to learn how to use, or else how would I BEAR to presume that I'm worthy enough to draw Unix-sama.  To draw without making the shading and lighting even marginally accurate is simply blasphemous!  Ã,¯0Ã,¯

In fact, I must self-flagellate just to even think of the notion...! >0<

Okay, I now that just sounds creepy, so I'll do it later.  Ã,¯__Ã,¯'

But suffice to say, I was lucky enough to get exposed to some very high quality anime off the bat, so that helped cement my newfound ferver....

- Escaflowne
- Slayers (original, NEXT, TRY, etc.)
- Saber Marionette
- Card Captor Sakura
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Naussica
- Mononoke HIme
- Lupin III (several titles)
- Galaxy Express 999
- Porco Rosso (pig power!  ^v')

Just to name a few of the more memorable ones, although I got exposed to other less dramatic titles that were equally fun (or funny) to watch (e.g., Marmalade Boy, Ranma 1/2, Nuku Nuku, etc.).  Also saw a lot of junk titles, mind you,...  ^^'

Aside from the exquisite artwork and amazing storytelling, I also found it particularly refreshing to see such a prevalance of strong lead female characters.  ^__^

Okay, ended up boring you with details anyway....  -__-'
Time for Hexagon....! ^0^

*trots off*

MisterCat

I first found anime thanks to a search engine on the web, though I can't recall which engine nor what I was originally searching for.

Anyway, I came across an image of Ifurita from El-Hazard; and I was inspired to find out more about who she was.  So my first exposure to anime was the original video animation El-Hazard.

(This is when I developed my anime/games/manga likes and dislikes:  I liked the fact that nearly all female characters had depth; yet it was the one-dimensional male characters, especially the seemingly-requisite boy-hero lead characters, who were given a plurality of the exposure.  My hero of the series was Ifurita, though I was also quite impressed with Priestess of Fire Shayla-Shayla and Princess Rune Venus.

(Sadly, when El-Hazard was made into a television series for U.S. release, Ifurita was changed from a complex and thoughtful [albeit manufactured] woman into a ditzy little girl.  One can only gape in amazement at the stultifying stupidity which caused otherwise-intelligent artists and producers to make such an idiotic character change.)

After El-Hazard I watched the Shin Seiki Evangelion original video animation series; and my most recent watch-a-thon involved the entirety of Betterman with its excellent female character Sai Hinoki.  To listen to the on-line cliché-masters, you'd think only six people worldwide enjoyed that series; but I liked it very much, apart from the ever-present annoying-boy lead and the too-lenghty mecha malarkey.

:smoke:

=^..^=

brougeXP22

Quoteand my most recent watch-a-thon involved the entirety of Betterman with its excellent female character Sai Hinoki. To listen to the on-line cliché-masters, you'd think only six people worldwide enjoyed that series; but I liked it very much, apart from the ever-present annoying-boy lead and the too-lenghty mecha malarkey.

Betterman rocks!!
^o^

And c-chan, you're lucky to have seen such quality anime to start you on ur way. I've seen roughly 100 anime's since the age of 6 (i'm 17 now ;011 ) some have been good and some have been total crap. hopefully you'll find at least one anime that stands above the rest.

NewYinzer

One hundred Anime's?
*thinks*
What Am I Up To?
*thinks*
THE MASTER LIST:
- OS-Tans (Ongoing)
- Megatokyo (Ongoing)
- Rozen Maiden (Finished Series)
- Mahoromatic (Finished Series)
- Love Hina (Ongoing)
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (Ongoing)
*thinks*
Crap! I'm still in Dilspace!

SleepyD

My anime likes and dislikes developed slowly.

I loved how anime had more story than the rest of the things I watched as a child.  Since Gunslinger Girl was one of the first things I watched and fell in love with, a good story is what I usually look for.  

.hack//SIGN and Bebop led me to listen to the background music.  When it's well done, the music is the key factor that pulls you in. Akatsuki no Kuruma made me cry. (As for the actual scene, I won't say, since I don't know if people have watched or will watch Gundam SEED) Mezame in Mai-HiME is great battle music. heh

Music and story. yep. Quality animation is a plus, but not a requirement for me. ^^

Well-developed characters are nice, but so is a plot.  Sometimes one or the other seems to get ignored.... If you can do both, then great job!

C-Chan

Bless you, child, for having Gunslinger Girl be one of the first titles you watched....  ;^__^;

That way, Claes-sama can get burned into your subconscious from the get-go!  ^.^

Alex Stankevitch

Ive got a few on the go at the moment:

FMP Fumoffu
Stratos4
Elfen Lied (Very bloody)
Zero no Tsukaima

They are all good series's in their own genres.

NewYinzer

*slips in, unannounced*
Ah, that's good. I now have a core group of shows to watch. Now to download fansubs off of Animesuki and KickAssAnime. Everything is looking good. The Mysterious E has returned to her place of origin...
*cough*Wuhan*cough*
...and peace has returned to our forums!

brougeXP22

i have the whole elfen lied series. it's quite horrific and bloody but still has cool characters  ;013 , but seeing as bloody violence is what america was built on then there's no reason to not watch it. Also you gotta love the classics like Gundam Wing and Trigun.

Silentbob

When I was a kid, I lived in Spain.  One of the few european countries that started putting anime on TV early.  So I watched a series called Candy Candy and one called Dr.Slump.  But what really got me into anime was a movie called Windaria.  This was around 20 years ago.    Later on we moved back to Norway, where there was no anime on TV.  So from there it was mostly anime on VHS (plus a coupla movies that actually made it onto TV).   Then I discovered fansubs, which really made my anime watching habits take off. I get stuff on DVD, but mostly only the series I really like.  

My top animes are RahXephon, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Rose of Versailles and 12 Kingdoms.

C-Chan

Wai!  Amiga-chan is here..... ^___^

*glomps*

[oh, and thank goodness for fansubs...  ^.^]

NewYinzer

Quote[oh, and thank goodness for fansubs... ^.^]

Praise Jesus!

BTW, does it seem girly if I say "Kawaii to the MAX!"

C-Chan

Not really "girly" so much as "nerdy", but all is forgiven, child, if it's to compliment Amiga-chan.  ^.^

NewYinzer

QuoteNot really "girly" so much as "nerdy", but all is forgiven, child, if it's to compliment Amiga-chan. ^.^

Yeah...I was!
*dodges bullets*
Jebus! What was that?
*dodges bullets*
Oh, it's just Dick Cheney!

MisterCat