OS-tan Annex Project

Started by C-One, September 16, 2006, 07:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Rozen Maiden-style gothic Vistan? I don't think I've seen her before. Any pictures of her?

But out of the Vistans I've seen, my favorite one is the silver screw-haired girl wearing a red and white seifuku and usually has a giant scythe with her.

Aurora Borealis

Oh. I agree, that one looks cool too! I assume she's known as the Rozen-Maiden style Vistan because her eyes have the same heterochromia as Suiseiseki's.

NewYinzer

QuoteOh. I agree, that one looks cool too! I assume she's known as the Rozen-Maiden style Vistan because her eyes have the same heterochromia as Suiseiseki's.

Right (As always)! That's my favorite (design)!

Now...as for the Mysterious E...

*Giant mecha shows up*

Yinzer: Oh bloody 'ell!
E: You thought you could get away! Unlikely at the fist of E!
Yinzer: You won't win this!

*Giant mecha battle*

Yinzer: Teh evil E has been destroyed! Now for some Love Hina!

*Runs off to BitTorrent*

So...darn...slow!

C-Chan

Wow, a Mech Battle that spans too threads.  ^__^

Well, at least you can say you canned his arse in the Annex thread!  ^_~

'kay, then let's hold the this referendum, eh?  ^v^

WINDOWS VISTA OFFICIAL DESIGN REFERENDUM

Entry #1:  Rozen-Maiden Vista

Shocked we only have one of these in the Gallery, when in fact the Niijura board is swamped with them.  ^___^
Better remedy that later....  -v-'

Seems to be a recent favorite, given the number of imitations out there.  Quadruple Pigtails earns much pointage from C-chan.  ^v^

Current Votes:  3

Entry #2:  Screw-haired Ninja Vista

Would it be this one, by any chance?  Don't see a full-version pic, so guess this chibi will do.  ^.^

Current Votes:  1

Entry #3:  Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista

Given how this one's dressed, I get the feeling she'd ACT like Saori-sensei....  -v-'

I know there's more, but I'll add them as they're being mentioned.  ^__^

C-One

Cccccc....

10 ? "Integrated Resource Links into Deceased OS-tan name headers."
15 ? "Clicking on each name header should redirect you to an appropriate information website"
20 ? "Populated the Scheduling and Ideas section."
25 ? "Please contact C-chan with any comments, issues or questions pertaining to scheduling or design ideas."
30 PRINT "Thank you very much for your patronage."

*bows*

35 GOTO 30

C-Chan

Dagnammit, C-One!!!!  We're in the middle of a referendum here!  ^0^

Go away, shoo!  SHOOO!  ^o^

MisterCat

C-Chan, where do we cast our votes ââ,¬â€ right here?

;011

=^..^=

C-Chan

Oh right, just pic a Vista design (or choose a new one not listed yet) and I'll count that in her favor with period summaries.  ^__^

Please note that this referendum follows an instant-runoff voting system, so you don't necessarily have to throw your support on a single Vista candidate.  ^v^

MisterCat

Hello there, C-Chan!  I the un-undersigned, being of neither sound mind nor healthy body, do hereby cast my vote for:

Entry #3: Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista

Should it come to pass that an explanation for my preference might be warranted, I shall provide one.  Thank you, C-Chan!

;hi

=^..^=

C-Chan

Nope, I've known you long enough to guess why you'd pick the more mature-looking one.  -v-
Though the Rozen Maiden design is cute, my gripe is that it does throw out-of-balance the tacit rule that feature-rich Operating Systems should have an older look.
(Simple operating systems, like the DOS girls or my Commodore PET, are therefore depicted as young girls, even if they are chronologically older.)

Still, I've learned long since that we can adhere to rules about age-appearance or bust size because they stifle art and they will eventually get broken.  ^__^'
Better to just go with the flow and see what becomes popular.

The transparencies of the Saori-Knockoff Vista better suits the "Aero" feature, if I might add.  -v-
Presuming on who the winner will be, I don't see why we couldn't add in features of the runner-up to compromise.  ^__^
(e.g., making the goth-girl design older)

Alright then, here we go....  -v-

WINDOWS VISTA OFFICIAL DESIGN REFERENDUM

Entry #1:  Rozen-Maiden Vista

Shocked we only have one of these in the Gallery, when in fact the Niijura board is swamped with them.  ^___^
Better remedy that later....  -v-'

Seems to be a recent favorite, given the number of imitations out there.  Quadruple Pigtails earns much pointage from C-chan.  ^v^

Current Votes:  3

==============================================

Entry #2:  Screw-haired Ninja Vista

Would it be this one, by any chance?  Don't see a full-version pic, so guess this chibi will do.  ^.^

Entry #3:  Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista

Given how this one's dressed, I get the feeling she'd ACT like Saori-sensei....  -v-'

Current Votes:  2

And here's another one....

Entry #3:  "Screwy" Generic Schoolgirl Vista

I swear sometimes people get too caught up in their own puns....  -v-'

Current Votes:  0

MisterCat

Thanks for your explanations, C-Chan!  Yeah, thing of it is, I'd much rather look at images of females who appear to have at least reached puberty than gaze at images of little girls.

I do appreciate your point, regarding why some of the OS Girls are depicted as being pre-pubescent.  Also, I've no problem whatsoever ââ,¬â€ in fact it's a joy ââ,¬â€ viewing Aurora's art; and further, I think all the artists involved in (dare I say) The Movement are creating wonderful images.

So my vote demonstrates nothing more than a personal preference, a right we all have.  May Entry #3: Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista the best artistic creation win!

;012

=^..^=

brougeXP22

I vote for:

Entry #3: Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista

C-Chan

Yep, I'm glad this thread is being as constructive as I'd hope it'd be.  Not sure how long I'll keep this referendum going, but since I probably won't get to do a Vista Wiki Avi for about a month, I say we have oodles of time to discuss the Official Vista. ^v^

Now then, time to begin two other referendums:

REPACKAGING OF "OS-TAN" NAMESAKE REFERENDUM

QuoteThe likelihood of my point of view being impeached even as I write it down is great, but I've got to get this off my chest. Just don't shoot me, all right?

What are presently called "OS-tans" I refer to, in the privacy of my brain, as "Operating-System Girls" or "OS Girls." I think of them as being international helpful mascots whose names ought to reflect the language of whatever location they're inhabiting.

(I'm assuming that through the Miracle Of Imagination the Girls can be everywhere simultaneously, helping any local machine which has their specific operating system installed.)

Consequently, I'm wondering why there's still all this Japan stuff attached to the Girls. Sure, the anime genre is of Japanese origin; and having lived in the Ryukyu Islands I've long since come to admire and respect Japanese culture, not to mention the people of Japan themselves.

However, the operating systems don't originate in Japan nor are they limited in their use to Japanese locations. Plus, why must we imitate (what we're told is) a childish mispronounciation of the Girls' Japanese name-suffixes?

It would be nice, or so my train of thought contends, if the OS Girls were figuratively embraced by people of all ages and in all locations world-wide. Sure, they can remain youthful in their depictions; but in my view it doesn't help that they're imbued with infant-girl qualities such as purposely-lispy name suffixes and frilly party dresses.

Niche stuff is all well and good, but I think the OS Girls deserve a wider audience. Please know it's not my intention of offend any of you: I'm just pondering the possibilities of wider acceptance of the Girls should they become unstuck from a single culture and language ââ,¬â€ and if they were freed from extraneous infant-girl baggage, which makes their acceptance by adults problematic due to corporate mainstream media-of-communication contentions that there are child molesters around evey corner and under every rock.

All right, I'm done: Thank you for your patience! *raises hands and slowly backs away*

Calling these wonderful Operating System personfications "OS-tans" is a time-honored tradition.  But as the audience grows, so do the limitations and negative connotations of the "-tan" suffix become more apparent.  Even Futaba Channel, where the "OS-tan" phrase was coined, has dropped it for more normal honorifics (e.g., -chan, -san, -sama, etc.).

So, as MisterCat suggested, if we ever plan to spread our influence among the international "OS-tan' Movement, then perhaps we should also be on the vanguard to readapt the namesake for a wider audience.  So let us propose some options to repackage the "OS-tan" namesake going forward:

1) We change the namesake to "OS-san".  
    This way the cultural origin can be preserved, but at least the OS-san in question could be initially referred to with a bit more respect that we all agree she should deserve.  Whether or not an individual chooses to address her later on as -tan, -chan, -san, -sama or even -bozu is entirely up to him/her, but at least we aren't deriding her from the get-go.  Still, the user is tied to the Japanese origin, which may or may not entice a wider audience.

Number of Arguments for:  0
Number of Arguments against:  0

2) We anglicize the namesake to "OS Girl".  

Same as above, but swapping the Japanese cultural connotation with an English-speaking one.  Perhaps appropriate since the majority of Operating Systems being personified were created in Western nations, but certainly there are arguments that can be made to the contrary.  Then there's the issue of whether the term "girl' is simply deriding the OS Girls as well, only in English.

3) We transliterate "OS-tan" to a neutral language.  

This likely won't be easy, but at least it could establish a truly international flare.  Ideally, the language should possess some way of fusing a romanized sounding "OS" and a close affiliation to the term "girl" into a a single word.

4) We keep "OS-tan" to the preexisting OS-tans, but have newer OS personifications adopt more mature honorifics.  

This has more to do with my Annex faction setting that anything, but as far as the backstories are concerned, the Windows-tans have enjoyed several years of peace and prosperity, enough to live worry-free and spend their majority of their time in play.  Out of that existence, it's only natural that childish habits would be fostered.

Outside of the dream world of the Windows faction, however, lfie isn't necessarily rosy.  Most OS-
sans in the real world act more measurably, have concerns for real issues, and certainly address themselves more appropriately.  If these backstories take flight, the "OS-tan" debate can actually serve as a very interesting social plot point.[/list]

5) We keep "OS-tan" out of pure tradition and call it a day.  

The easiest route, with two possible outcomes.  Either the OS-tan Phenomenon remains a "niche market", or, over time, we help recatagorize the term "-tan" altogether, till no one remembers it's childish origin.

C-Chan added the following  43 seconds after last message :

Oh shoot, more Vista responses.  ^__^'

'Kay, Referendum #3 can wait.
Let's just update the Vis one first.....

C-One

[confused]  Cccccccccc......