OSes you've had overall good or bad user experiences with?

Started by Aurora Borealis, March 26, 2009, 10:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Smokey

Boy, this is going to be one helluva story when i'm done with her...

*shakes fist at Mac*

^_^
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Red-Machine

Quote from: "PentiumMMX"Red Hat Linux 5.2: Unusable; even more so than NT 4.0. Let's just leave it at that...

Agreed.  I had it on an old rack server that the IT guy at my mum's work donated to me.  It refused to boot and came up with loads of "Network resource not found" errors.  I formatted the SCSI HDD and loaded 98SE :D
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Smokey

Well, i was typing how much i love my new Power Macintosh G3 and how i hate the guy who designed it, and how i hated the previous owner even more for messing her up so bad. But then i wanted to try the DVD playback and it froze up with a message saying i had to restart the thing... Bye-bye big rant...

So here's the short version...
I love my Power Macintosh G3 ( even though i am a Mac user since yesterday - i do have a MacBooc ancient since years but it's missing it's powersupply so that doesn't really count-, i do believe that the PowerPC Macintoshes are the true Macs, and the Intel based ones are just glorified PCs)... I hate the previous owner, because of him i had to rejumper the HDD, replace the HDD cable, remove the PCI LAN NIC and replace a DIMM, but now i have a working Power Macintosh G3 350MHz, with a bit more RAM than i expected (one of the 64MB DIMMs turned out to be a 256MB one) 448MB RAM... And MacOSX 10.3.9 Panther (Panther, right?) already installed and running fairly smoothly...
This Power Macintosh is a revision1 G3, wich means that it does have a few issues (like crashing alot if you're not careful, like when i inserted the DVD "Ghost in the Shell : Innocence") so i am not yet able to really judge this MacOSX, but so far i am pleased, it does what i expect her to do, she looks nice enough and it's more quiet now, since there are only 2 fans blowing under the desk instead of 6 on the desk...

Oh, BTW this Power Macintosh G3 runs great with the TFT screen from my PC, wich i didn't really doubt... But it also works great with the "windows" kwyboard, only thing i have to remember is that the stuff i used to do with [ctrl] now has to be done with [windows key], but hey, i'll get her an official Mac keyboard + mouse soon enough... (she has to work with a wireless mouse from M$ now... Of all brands i have a M$ mouse... I did have a logitech one wich i loved way more but my sis killed the receiver, thus killing the mouse + keyboard)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

First vista, and now THIS...

;_;

Smokey! Come back to the dark side! WE MISS YOU! ;_;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

98-tan was good to me...she was my first. <3
95-tan was my uncle's, but she was nice too. :3

xp has been very good to me, except on my own computer, then she decides to lag like a legless humanoid.

vistan and me don't get along too well......

2k is being very nice, if simple. but she's good (she lives up to her name of "reliable") and she works on my computer. :3

i haven't used many macs. they confuse me. o__o;
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I agree, Smokey! I much prefer the PowerPC (and the 680x0) Macs because those seem like the true Macs to me too!

My G3 (I still have it!) runs Panther (OSX 10.3.9) but not very well because it's a rather unstable computer from being overclocked (by its previous owner) and there's not enough hard drive space on my startup disk to access virtual memory. I still remember trying to work on something in Inkscape when I get relentlessly bombarded by "Disk Full Alerts" that force me to force quit it and lose any unsaved changes. ;030

Smokey

Oh, LOL...Well at least i have an 80GB drive, wich isn't helping, since large drives tend to hang the system with the old IDE controller on said revision1 boards...
BTW DVD playback works, barely, but the desktop doesn't perform as smoothly either anymore since i cranked up the resolution from 800x600 to 1680x1050... i keep forgetting that this is just a 16MB rage128 card... ^_^ ( i really need to get my hands on that Power Macintosh G4 i saw for a bit less than -dammit [ctrl]+[alt]+[5] doesn't give me the euro sign anymore- 100 euro...

Meh...

BTW should you have noticed that i keep explicitly calling my G3 a Power Macintosh; That's because i keep mumbling to myself: "I got me a iMac- No a PowerMac :D"
Man i couldn't be happier... i secretly always wanted a Macintosh, i just don't like all the hyping that's going on nowadays, PC's used to be for geeks but Macs used to be for L337 geeks... Ah the good old days...

Also @ Nej, Chill, man i'm still at the dark side, i just wanted a Mac...
And Vista just works for my SLI...

And one last thing...... How does one make a screenshot on a Mac?? i'm stumped, [Prt Scrn] doesnt work... ;018
Thanks Fedora-sama

Aurora Borealis

To make an entire screenshot on a Mac, press Shift+Command+3. Or to make a partial screenshot and select what you want to include in the selection, press Shift+Command+4.

Smokey

Hey, it works...
Nice that she puts the screenshots directly on the desktop... Bit strange that she automatically saves them as .pdf... :/
Oh well, if pdfs are supported as attachments, that would be nice, since i then don't need to resize the pic...  ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama