Computer tech blog

Started by Dr. Mario, March 11, 2009, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

Oh, i havent installed anything on my OS partition... no i do that on other disks... Only thing on my OS-disk is the OS, its updates, and  maybe a GiB max on stuff that absolutely had to be installed on that disk...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Oh well. I like to keep important softwares on the same HDD where GreenOmega 64 is located, so it make it easy to keep track of.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Well. i couldn't even if i wanted too... ^_^
That partition is only 46,5GiB... Wich i thought would be plenty for Vista...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Red-Machine

My ME partition is 30GB, and I have the rest (the drive is 40GB) as unpartitioned space in case I need it.  I was originally gonna have an AROS partition, but even though this machine is single-core it still refuses to boot!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Mario

It sucks sometimes. Oh well, pains do inevitably go away as the HDD price go down. =_=

Oh right. Most of time, the boot sectors are written differently for particular OS, like you said, Windows ME and AROS. Sometimes it's better to have seperate HDD, otherwise experimentation never hurt.

Smokey

True i couldn't get a multiboot working with Fedora and Vista ... Native bootloaders refused to boot the other os... Heck, grub bootloader refused even to be installed on a ntfs disk... :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yeah. If you wanna do LILO/GRUB combo on NTFS, it has to be done on Linux installer.

Smokey

Or make a small partition, format as FAT and toss grub in there... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yes, it can be done, mostly notarily, because FAT is the most common FS, be it written by a commerical, GNU'd, and/or homemade OS kernel.

Smokey

As far as i know, all grub needs is a 32MB fat (16 if i'm right) partition to have him do it's magic...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

About that. And, if you wanna do EFI verison of GRUB, you will wanna leave 200MB FAT partition, that way the firmwares other my own BIOS, could tell that it's for EFI boot. (My GO64 AIOS firmware doesn't care, it would just simply hunt for EFI program file and then execute it, thus booting OS up.)

Smokey

Wow, BIOS has much room for improvement indeed, but i will still say it's a good piece of software, since it has run millions of motherboards throughout the years  without many major changes... Unlike some OSes... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Red-Machine

BIOSes stem from the original operating systems.  So what you're looking at when you pres DEL at the OEM logo, was originally intended to be the GUI for really old IBM Compatibles and the like.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Smokey

I don't have an OEM Logo, i make my own... Come to think of it, i could load my own logo in the POST screen...
And the BIOS menu couldn't be from that old computers since the interface from an IBM 7000 series was way different... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

True, my friends. It came from DOS. But I wrote my own BIOS, and this one is no expectation. Its kernel isn't of DOS type, if you have Coreboot or have used it, you will get the idea.

Anyways, I might post the screenshot of GO64 AIOS booting up, as I get a chance. (and maybe a nice video of it booting up a verison of GO64 or Windows 7? If you really want to see a x86 Cell doing its job, I might, since it's sitting in my favorite test mobo, which I will take picture of my own firmware from.)