kari's mystery lineart challenge!! (prize for winning)

Started by Chocofreak13, December 30, 2008, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

I can help with the digital coloring, which CAN be time efficient!

I used Photoshop this time to color it in. You said you used the gimp but since it's pretty much the Free/Open Source equivalent of Photoshop, the techniques I'm going to show in this mini tutorial should apply. (and here's my progress in the contest so far!)

Chocofreak13

ik, ik, ik.
but i didn't know that everyone here specialized in digital medium. and yes, you have to get that basic with me about the dpi. i'll re-scan it in the morning, but this still makes me a tad cranky, i only said you could use any medium so that no one would get left out. but right now, aurora-dono's the only one participating, and she doesn't seem to care!
and ik it looks like crap. i'm probably gonna re-do it!
oh and as for sketchbooks, that's where i do all my serious work, because i'm so cluttered that i don't need to add more looseleaf paper to the mix. i use colored pencils because i'm poor and a high school student, thus lacking the time and funds to do any real serious stuff. i have gimp2, but no tablet, not much serious free time and not much will to digitally color since it comes out worse-looking than my irl art. so i don't dabble much in those arts, which is one of the reasons i said i didn't exactly fit much here, being that everyone is older, more experienced, and probably just "better" than me.

and as for the first part, new years isn't too much to me. i don't make resolutions, and i don't usually care what people think anyway, but when the back of your mind is telling you you're a worthless piece of trash there isn't much hope of improvement in any aspect of life. i know i'm nowhere near perfect, that no one is, but i see myself at the back of the line, the bottom of the food chain, that pretty much everyone's better than me.

i'll re-scan in the morning, IF we can get back to topic. could we try and delete the non-related posts? i think it might come out better that way.
g'night.~

ps: psst sorry if i'm ranty it's just 11 pm and i'm listening to tokio hotel and i guess i just feel like explaining myself.

Added after 3 minutes:

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"I can help with the digital coloring, which CAN be time efficient!

I used Photoshop this time to color it in. You said you used the gimp but since it's pretty much the Free/Open Source equivalent of Photoshop, the techniques I'm going to show in this mini tutorial should apply. (and here's my progress in the contest so far!)

aurora-dono i can't thankyou enough for this but it's like throwing pearls to swine! i don't really get any of it, and have you ever used gimp? not nearly as user-friendly as photoshop. even if it was i'm hapless when it come to it, did i mention i was the corner kid in that class? btw, IT'S WAY OFF TOPIC!! T_T pm/email next time? :/

Added after 8 minutes:

ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO ARE PARTICIPATING:as of 1/1/09 i have updated the hints. i am so sorry for all the inconvience that this causes you!! T_T please read, and update....i owe you guys so bad, i'm sorry! (when i remembered curry i remembered a lovely saffron yellow! i should have said that instead.....[FAIL] )
click to make it bigger

Alex S

Sorry if this is considered off-topic, but did you just write random 1's and 0's for the speech bubbles or were you actually going for something?  I'm asking because the bytes aren't proper octets, or sets of eight bits.  It might be possible to translate with UTF 7, which is a Unicode encoding format.

Also, If you look in the calculator -tans thread, you'll see my art style, which is almost the same as yours (i.e. colored pencils, lined paper in a multipage notebook.)  The main difference is that I can't yet draw full people without it looking ridiculous.

Chocofreak13

i was hoping someone would try and figure it out! xD i was really hoping you'd figure out what it was on your own, but fine.

it's written in ASCII Binary.
click to make it bigger

Alex S

Of course, I should have thought of ASCII.  I completely forgot about it, and didn't really know much about it, but a quick visit to Wikipedia and all is revealed.

From the left:
First person: DOT DOT DOT
Second person:U CANT READ THIS
Third Person I LOVE MINAMI CHAN

You can also use lowercase letters and punctuation. You refer to one of your characters as both Manami (in your original post) and Minami (in the ASCII). Which is the correct name?

By the way, are these new virus-tans or old ones? What viruses are they?

Chocofreak13

damn it! you spoiled it!! >_<

technically i wrote "manami". that's the correct form. but that one's a lil' squished, so maybe one of us misread.
funny, i remember writing manami.....right? :?
click to make it bigger