Siya's Concept Hut

Started by Siya, July 17, 2007, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siya

I found them!  

Oralux-tan:

and Oralux-kun:

Oralux-tan, I was thinking, could have black hair.  My original thought was white with a lock of red in the front for a chicken-like effect, but that always reminds me of candy canes. and not chickens.  It might work, provided I add enough yellow-orange accents to the outfit to make her look chickeny, but I'm leaning toward black at the moment.  I planned for the outfit to be primarily white (jacket and skirt) while the blouse is red.  Yellow-orange accents would be in her necklace (with the Oralux logo as a pendant), her hairband, her buttons and maybe a stripe lining the bottom of her skirt.  Socks and shoes have yet to be determined, but I'm currently leaning toward white socks and black or brown shoes.  I'm also playing with the idea of making either her jacket or skirt black as well.  I intend to make her eyes a dull, pale blue...often associated with blindness in various forms of cartoon and animation, including some manga and anime.  She holds the leash of her seeing-eye rooster.  I have yet to decide on what pet name she might have for said rooster, but what she doesn't realize is that he is actually Oralux-kun!  

Oralux-kun's hairstyle is a mock mohawk of sorts.  The longer hair in the middle is brushed forward and dyed red.  The shorter hair shows that his roots are, indeed, black (I was initially thinking white for him, too...but the candy cane thing keeps nagging at my mind).  His jacket is black with a white feather collar and the Oralux logo over the left breast.  The shirt he wears underneath is white, perhaps with red accents.  Belts and shoes are probably black, though the belts might be white.  Pants....I dunno?  White?  Black?  Denim?  I had also considered making his jacket white.  I really won't know what I like best until I try! ^^;

Further story I had considered for the Oraluxes continues to clamor down the path of Rumiko Takahashi-esque inspiration.  I had in mind that Oralux-kun has a crush on the blind Oralux-tan.  However, since Ubuntu (amongst other major distros) now offer greater accessibility to the visually impaired, I considered Oralux-tan to have an unspoken crush on Ubuntu-kun (open for creation!).  This, of course, makes Oralux-kun jealous.  In addition, since the heightened accessibility of Ubuntu, rendering Oralux obsolete, Oralux-kun feels more than threatened.  

Thoughts?

Bella

QuoteOralux-tan, I was thinking, could have black hair. My original thought was white with a lock of red in the front for a chicken-like effect, but that always reminds me of candy canes. and not chickens. It might work, provided I add enough yellow-orange accents to the outfit to make her look chickeny, but I'm leaning toward black at the moment. I planned for the outfit to be primarily white (jacket and skirt) while the blouse is red. Yellow-orange accents would be in her necklace (with the Oralux logo as a pendant), her hairband, her buttons and maybe a stripe lining the bottom of her skirt. Socks and shoes have yet to be determined, but I'm currently leaning toward white socks and black or brown shoes. I'm also playing with the idea of making either her jacket or skirt black as well. I intend to make her eyes a dull, pale blue...often associated with blindness in various forms of cartoon and animation, including some manga and anime. She holds the leash of her seeing-eye rooster. I have yet to decide on what pet name she might have for said rooster, but what she doesn't realize is that he is actually Oralux-kun!

Oralux-tan is so pretty! I'm always amazed by the time and thought you put into your characters' fashion and color schemes. I like your proposed ideas-- though I do think perhaps her hair should be white + orange (to avoid the candycane effect).

QuoteOralux-kun's hairstyle is a mock mohawk of sorts. The longer hair in the middle is brushed forward and dyed red. The shorter hair shows that his roots are, indeed, black (I was initially thinking white for him, too...but the candy cane thing keeps nagging at my mind). His jacket is black with a white feather collar and the Oralux logo over the left breast. The shirt he wears underneath is white, perhaps with red accents. Belts and shoes are probably black, though the belts might be white. Pants....I dunno? White? Black? Denim? I had also considered making his jacket white. I really won't know what I like best until I try! ^^;

...and Oralux-kun is very handsome, too. :3

I have to agree with your ideas for the color scheme again, though I think his pants should be denim. I really like his hairdo and jacket-- I would have no ideas he just morphed from being a chicken. ^^'

QuoteFurther story I had considered for the Oraluxes continues to clamor down the path of Rumiko Takahashi-esque inspiration. I had in mind that Oralux-kun has a crush on the blind Oralux-tan. However, since Ubuntu (amongst other major distros) now offer greater accessibility to the visually impaired, I considered Oralux-tan to have an unspoken crush on Ubuntu-kun (open for creation!). This, of course, makes Oralux-kun jealous. In addition, since the heightened accessibility of Ubuntu, rendering Oralux obsolete, Oralux-kun feels more than threatened.

Thoughts?

Hmmmm....interesting, very interesting...I haven't ever considered drawing a Ubunut-kun (I'm really more of an app-kun person), so I guess his design would be fair game. Though I think he would share some likeness to Ubuntu-tan.

But the Ubuntu-kun/Oralux-tan/Oralux-kun love triangle would be quite humorous, though I wonder what Ubuntu-tan would think of all the insanity :P

Aurora Borealis

Oralux-tan is so cute and Oralux-kun is so handsome! :D The seeing-eye chicken is a very unique idea, and I also like the drama-filled love triangle!

Too bad I can't contribute to designing Ubuntu-kun because I'm no good with male characters :(

Siya

QuoteOralux-tan is so pretty! I'm always amazed by the time and thought you put into your characters' fashion and color schemes. I like your proposed ideas-- though I do think perhaps her hair should be white + orange (to avoid the candycane effect).
Ooh!  I hadn't considered orange!  I might keep make it a reddish orange, just to keep it as close to a cockscomb color as possible.  But giving it a strong orange tint would keep away the candy cane appearance.

Quote...and Oralux-kun is very handsome, too. :3

I have to agree with your ideas for the color scheme again, though I think his pants should be denim.
I'll plan on using denim, then.  It makes more sense to me, too, and it would probably look the best.  I think I was just trying too hard with the chicken theme when there's already enough going on.

QuoteBut the Ubuntu-kun/Oralux-tan/Oralux-kun love triangle would be quite humorous...
Quote...I also like the drama-filled love triangle!
Excellent!  I shall consider the love triangle concept "approved"! ^^

Now all that's left  (aside from finished pictures) is designing Ubuntu-kun.  I agree that he should share some elements that Ubuntu-tan has, but remind me why she has an African heritage.  DistroWatch claims Ubuntu originated on the Isle of Man and the Ubuntu homepage's "The Ubuntu Story" mentions nothing helpful.  I am in need of enlightenment. D:

Quote..., though I wonder what Ubuntu-tan would think of all the insanity :P
I guess this is another thing for us to consider:  What, exactly, is the relationship between Ubuntu-tan and Ubuntu-kun like? :3

Tsubashi

Nice Job! Oralux-tan is very cute, and the whole idea of a "seeing eye rooster" quite original and hilarious. ^v^

Good idea on the hair color, Bella-sama. On the topic of colors, I'd say stick to the black jacket if you're going to go with denim. I realize I am probably the least color-coordinated/fashion aware person here, but I figure since you are under no obligation to take my advice, my two bits would not hurt, ne? ^.^

QuoteI think I was just trying too hard with the chicken theme when there's already enough going on.

I'd have to agree there, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I've always loved how much time and thought you put into your drawings, and how amazingly suited to their respective OSes you make them. The best part is (as evidenced by the quote) you don't over do it either! ^v^

Quote...but remind me why she has an African heritage. DistroWatch claims Ubuntu originated on the Isle of Man and the Ubuntu homepage's "The Ubuntu Story" mentions nothing helpful. I am in need of enlightenment. D:

Gah, what a time for the OS-tan wiki to be down, ne? I promise I will do my best to get it fixed, but since I don't have admin access anymore...
Gomen nasai!
Anyways, From what I remember, Her name comes from the Zulu word "ubuntu", loosely translated as "humanity", describing the ubuntu philosophy: "I am who I am because of those around me."

QuoteI guess this is another thing for us to consider: What, exactly, is the relationship between Ubuntu-tan and Ubuntu-kun like?

An excellent question, and one which is rather open to interpretation. Often, the -tan/-kun relationships turn out to be bother/sister but not always. After all, the same thing could be said of OS manufacture families, but then things would get really kooky, ne? ^.^
-Tsu

Siya

QuoteOn the topic of colors, I'd say stick to the black jacket if you're going to go with denim. I realize I am probably the least color-coordinated/fashion aware person here, but I figure since you are under no obligation to take my advice, my two bits would not hurt, ne? ^.^
Yeah, I think the black jacket with the denim would be best, too.  Besides, I have the white feather collar in there.  

QuoteAnyways, From what I remember, Her name comes from the Zulu word "ubuntu", loosely translated as "humanity", describing the ubuntu philosophy: "I am who I am because of those around me."
Ah!  Fascinating!  Thank you for what you can remember; it really helps!

QuoteAn excellent question, and one which is rather open to interpretation. Often, the -tan/-kun relationships turn out to be bother/sister but not always. After all, the same thing could be said of OS manufacture families, but then things would get really kooky, ne? ^.^
Indeed!  

I think a brother/sister relationship would work fine for Ubuntu-kun and Ubuntu-tan, though.

Bella

QuoteOoh! I hadn't considered orange! I might keep make it a reddish orange, just to keep it as close to a cockscomb color as possible. But giving it a strong orange tint would keep away the candy cane appearance.

Sounds good! I always associate orange and white with chickens and roosters.

QuoteExcellent! I shall consider the love triangle concept "approved"! ^^

Now all that's left (aside from finished pictures) is designing Ubuntu-kun. I agree that he should share some elements that Ubuntu-tan has, but remind me why she has an African heritage. DistroWatch claims Ubuntu originated on the Isle of Man and the Ubuntu homepage's "The Ubuntu Story" mentions nothing helpful. I am in need of enlightenment. D:

QuoteAnyways, From what I remember, Her name comes from the Zulu word "ubuntu", loosely translated as "humanity", describing the ubuntu philosophy: "I am who I am because of those around me."

Correct...and also, Mark Shuttleworth (the man who leads the Ubuntu project) is from South Africa himself.

QuoteI guess this is another thing for us to consider: What, exactly, is the relationship between Ubuntu-tan and Ubuntu-kun like? :3

QuoteAn excellent question, and one which is rather open to interpretation. Often, the -tan/-kun relationships turn out to be bother/sister but not always. After all, the same thing could be said of OS manufacture families, but then things would get really kooky, ne? ^.^

I have to agree with Siya here...I've never really seen Ubuntu-tan as being the girlfriendish type. Yeah, I love a bit of good shipping, but I can't fathom setting Ubuntu-tan up with any -kun. ^///^

So yeah, Ubuntu-tan/Ubuntu-kun would for sure be sister and brother.

Siya

Alright.  How's this for an Ubuntu-kun?

Sorry for the sloppy napkin sketches, but I liked how the idea was going so I scanned it (sloppily).  

So, idea details:  
His hair is braided/dreaded and pulled back.  He also has a headband/scarf with an Ubuntu logo motif.  He has one of those pencil-thin beards that follow the jawline.  He wears an orange dress shirt with the top shirt unbuttoned and the sleeves rolled up.  I had originally thought that his vest and armbands would be black, but I'm leaning towards white or charcoal (and specifically not khaki).  Whether or not the vest remains black, I want the pants to be white or charcoal.  Even though I drew a belt on him, he would actually be wearing suspenders.  It just seems more fashionable for someone wearing armbands and a vest.  

The character on the far left is StressLinux-tan.

NejinOniwa

Bwoo.

I liek...reminds me of someone. Dunno who.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Even if it's just a napkin sketch, Ubuntu-kun is looking cool! As always I like your color scheme ideas, and the bandanna is a good touch. I love his hairdo, but dunno about the mustache...that's just my personal opinion. And somehow I see him as being a bit more...smiley and cheerful. ^^

This is a really good start, though-- I'm liking him a lot.

PS, StressLinux-tan is looking really awesome there in the corner. @@

NejinOniwa

Oh, right! He looks quite like the ice Admiral guy in One Piece, i remember now, Ao Kiji.

But he's cool. I like that. And let the mustache stay, it's also plenty of cool.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Siya

Alright.  I made some color maps of Ubuntu-kun and the Oraluxes.

After trying other color options, I'm pretty settled on this one.  I also chose to keep the beard.  I feel it adds a sense of maturity which is good since Ubuntu is one of the more respected distros in the Linux community (at least, as far as I'm aware).

I'm not as certain about what I want to do with Oralux-kun's hair.  Here are the two options I'm thinking of:

If I do choose the white roots, he'll be getting white eyebrows.  I just forgot to alter that in the color map.  I might also mess with the blue on the jeans a little more.

Then, for Oralux-tan, I'm not quite sure of the outfit colors.  

I'm not quite sure of the all-white color scheme, because it makes her look too formal.  If it doesn't look all that formal to everyone else, I might still go with it, though.  I'm not really sure I like how the colors balance with the second and third pictures.  I might experiment with making the jacket yellow and keeping the skirt white.

Opinions?

Added after 7 minutes:

There!

I think I like the yellow jacket on her! :D

CaptBrenden

yay napkin art!

Very cute design for the girl. I agree with the final choice of colors. I love her hair, I wanna do some partial color like that myself :3

Im just gonna go ahead and request a redraw on napkin art tho, that character design deserves better.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

Nice color maps! I really like the first version of Oralux-kun, and I like color maps 1 and 4 for Oralux-tan. Ubuntu-kun is awesome as well, though I dunno if the eyes jive with me (maybe a little lighter?).

Great work as always, Siya-san! :D

Siya

'S been a while, eh?  I don't have a scanner at the moment, so I scribbled this up in Photoshop:

This is CensorNet-tan.  The whole nun idea was inspired by a joke I heard involving penguins and leprechauns.  That and it fit with the "Censor" bit.