Bella's OS-tan Artwork Thread

Started by Bella, March 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

[haggard and tired] I'M GONNA REPLY TO THIS THREAD EVEN IF IT KILLS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!  >>>>>V<<<<<

Added after 4 minutes:

*collapses*

Okay, it killed me. ^^;
Ran out of free time again -- couldn't even work on my next DangOS page (except for some minor work on panel 1 I did in my commute).  Fortunately, still have my trump card (day-off Friday) to at least hope that things can get drawn before the end of the weekend).  -v-

Will reply first thing here -- but THIS time, I'm downloading the beautiful imagery here and take  it with me on a stick.  As Bella-hime said, there's clearly a wealth of detail to pour over, and doing so will make me feel like a kid in a candy... FACTORY!  ^____^

G'night....

*flops over keyboard*

*snore*  Zzzzzzz  -.-

Added after 4 minutes:

*sleep-talking*  Dagnam!  That image must've taken forever to Export to PNG..... ^v^;

Added after 12 hours 5 minutes:

QuoteWow! That's wonderful! I like how you managed to make the stars look more realistic...it's very clever how you did that. I also like how you lit the oxygen tanks, and the planets are gorgeous! @@

Thank you, Bella-hime. ^___^

If you say it's clever, I imagine it's cause you probably saw that the whole star field is composed of little more than 6 objects -- three polka-dot pattern fills of different sizes and alpha channels, and three randomized stars (also of different sizes and alphas) to add the randomized "seed" effect.  A few more light-blue randomized stars are added for nebulas. ^.^

Had I used blurring on this, it would have made previewing the scene a LOT more uncomfortable.  ^^;

The Planets are just two sets of fears using extremely-subtle gradient effects, plus some random shapes added n top for texture.  The Uranus-like planet was complimented with an outer radial gradient to simulate an atmosphere. ^.^

QuoteThough, lately, I've been having a bit of trouble with Inkscape. It's very strange actually...especially with the NetBSD-tan and this other pic I've been working on, it seems to hang whenever I get to a certain point of zoom. In the NetBSD pic this was resolved by getting rid of all excess objects and blurring, and the other pic...it just sort of stopped hanging...

The new Cairo engine was supposed to handle blurring a little better -- but you're right that still seems to be a problem, especially when zooming in real close.  I have noticed that once blurring is removed entirely (it has to be at 0% no exceptions -- even a 0.3% blurring can cause slowdowns) things are hunky-dory.  Between that and the need to draw without blurring (for KDE4) graphics, I'm rediscovering the art of improvisation.  ^___^

You could say I got too spoiled by blurring, but no longer (if I really need it, I'll add it post-production).  ^.^;

QuoteAs for Inkscape, I probably haven't played around as much; I mean, I just now got around to learning about patterning paths and insets/outsets.

You'd be amazed as well how very little I actually know about my favorite program.  ^.^
Probably doesn't help that we've been literally drawing drawing drawing non-stop without time to sit back and really soak in all the extra features.

Life Effects and Pattern along Paths are still two things I'd like to explore a little more.  -v-

Quote*crosses finger for New Jerseyite joke*

C'mon! After nearly two years, it's still too damn funny!

Ah well in the other thread I got TRIPLE boot-throwing, so guess I'll have to leave you hanging there. ^.^

*grabs net and runs out*

QuoteI hope it's better to see...even if it's in beta and missing the background...

Ever heard of Mike's Hard Lemonade?

Try C-chan's Hard Swoonage?  ^___^

*SWOON'S.... HARD!!!!!!*  >>>>>>v<<<<<<

QuoteInitially, you might find it incredibly strange that I would draw Multics-sama holding Unix-sama given their fairly horrific past. We've thought alot about their differences, but I've always wanted to show their similarities...after all, the two are like inverse copies of each other in a lot of ways.

Well if you think that be strange, than I most certainly most be weird myself cause I actually fancied the same idea not too long ago.  An elegant and stylized picture of a younger and more robust Multics-sama, with beautiful wings outstretched, holding and comforting a love-starved and teary little UNIX-sama (also with her own pitch-black wings).  Didn't mention it cause I figured it'd make a great birthday present (gotta start thinking about January, after all).  ^.^

There was no real explanation behind such a picture, other than that it could be interpreted as a "what-if" scenario had history conspired less to tear them apart.  

But its hard to say the end result would have matched the awe-inspiring greatness of your rendition.
Not only are your shoes too big to fill, I can probably fill them up with water and make swimming pools out of them.  OvO

=======================

If you don't mind, I'm going to leave the full critique of your drawing till the very end (so I can look at it carefully without prying eyes behind me). ^^'

On to the small fry responses!  ^V^

=======================

QuoteFunny how I only recently got around to watching The Da Vinci Code. I swear I'm going to hide SO MANY subliminal messages suggesting that Unix and Multics-sama are related in this picture! ><

Hmmm... I was worried about watching/reading that due to the over-press.  But if Bella-hime endorses it, then.... 0v0

QuoteGlad you could finally meet the most beautiful women in the world, though. I take it Multics-sama and Unix-sama are going to become C-Chan Bride #...um....ummmmm....yeaaaah....too many to count. XD

Plus my concept of "Most Beautiful Women in the World" admittedly works a lot like a Top 10 song hit list.  You could be like jamming to the #1 hit song on the radio one day, and two years later cringe at the thought you danced to THAT stuff.  [One need not look farter than the fact that old Macarena videos from the 1990's are effective blackmail tools for people silly enough to dance that stuff in the first place.  ^.^]

Not to say there aren't any Timeless Classics, of course.  ^___________^

*lecherous grin*

QuoteThe background should be done by tomorrow. Beautiful how much work can be done when to temporarily throw time limits out the window ^^

WAAAAAAAAH!!!!!  Bella-hime finished this so quickly and I took forever to swoon over it.... ;___;

*suckage meters rises to dangerous levels*

*throws self in vat of frying oil*

Oh wait... yeah... this time, I won't be caught off guard.  ^___^

*lights match*

This is how you get frying oil cooking right?  ^-^

*casually tosses match on oil*

QuoteOh yeah. Have some WAITS-san.

In case you forgot, WAITS-san is the Bohemian chick who happens to be related (a cousin?) to TOPS 10-san. She's a musical and artistic genius, and happens to be very free-loving. Her closest friends would be ITS-san and Emacs-kun. I could go on, but reading this WAITS Autobiography explains her better than I could. :P

I realize her right arm is a bit odd. I know this already, but I was just trying to get this picture done.

BTW, the color scheme was radically redone after I found pictures of SAIL...

Ah!  That's a lovely rendition of the Bohemian chick. ^^
Her dress is a little more in tatters than what I'm used to seeing from you, but that's pretty much intentional based on A) her personality, and B) the actual real-life computer (which looks worse than most cubicles).  ^__^'

the cute hat, sassy face and long, whipping brown hair, and unique embroidery around the cleavage area are definitely highlights of the picture.  ^__^

However, I actually don't think the right arm looks as bad as you say it is -- if anything, it looks a little more natural than the left arm, which has too deep of a separation line on the elbow, and also ends at too pointy a tip.  Moreover, her right leg looks a little too separated from the rest of her body (based on the direction her thigh is going), and could probably be moved over to the right (your right) a few clicks.  Granted a lot of horse riders walk in such a bow-legged stance, but in this case it seems a little overdone.  =v='

Aside from that, it's still amazing you finished her up near around the same time as your epic UNIX-sama/Multics-sama picture.  ^___^

QuoteEven if she didn't agree with (or even like) her daughter, she must have been happy to know some legacy would be carried on. (Makes me wonder what she would think of Linux-sama).

That's a very interesting question.  ^___^
I have my suspicions that she might, inadvertently, behave around Linux-sama in exactly the same way as CTSS-sama behaved around her: overprotective and outdated.  ^.^

On the other hand, the concept of open source, while alien and perhaps blasphemous to her at first, would probably win her over much more quickly.

Certainly helps that she's open sauced NOW. ^.^

QuoteBrilliant work on WAITS-san! Her revamp (like DTSS-sama's) suits her character very well! The light cyan + light yellow + brown combo is unique and implemented beautifully! (I never thought of that as a working color combo, but with your mad fashion skillz, you make that possible!)

And, if I might add, if that fashion color-matching sense applies to real-life, then that be some serious trade skillz you have to keep under the belt.  ^^

QuoteSo, here's the Multics/Unix-sama picture with background, BETA. For some reason, Inkscape keeps devouring paths when I try to export a PNG image (the paths are still in the SVG...just not the PNG.

Try adding more nodes to all the paths that keep disappearing.  I notice that some get cut off too until I do this.  -v-

Quote...I was going to have a grandfather clock in this picture, but in the end I didn't know how it'd fit in with the rather outdoorsy look of the background. And I was being lazy. I don't know if I should leave this as is and move on, or not. And I doubt the source could be posted (cause it's a HUGE file). So...

No, in this case I would say it's only right that the sauce belong to you.  You deserve it honestly.  ^^

The Grandfather clock would not have fit in this picture -- seeing it I feel a fountain or a garden statue would fit better instead (assuming it could work in some symbolism).

Quote*enters Giant Mode*

THAT. IS. MY. LUNCH.

*approaches Multics-tan and Unix-tan with knife and fork in hand*

KUKUKUKUKU...
:B

*grabs shrinking gun and blasts Nejin down to C-chan's size (~17cm)*

NO GIANTS ALLOWED -- ESPECIALLY WITH VORE STUFF!!  The C-chan forbids it!  >.<

The only thing you're gonna be eating from them now is their skin flakes... kukuku....  `v'

QuoteDid you see my jaw? I lost it moments ago and I'm pretty sure it has to be somewhere 'round here...

*grabs shrinking gun and blasts Nuker down to C-chan's size (~17cm)*

Oh... sorry, Microwsave-san.  Got carried away by the spur of the moment.  ^^;
Shrinkage is timer-based, so you'll have to wait 2 hours to get back to your usual size.  -v-

Look on the bright side, though... will be easier to find your jaw.  ^^

QuoteAWESOME! You did some MIGHTY research there, too!

I like what you did with the color symbolism. At first I was going to add a bit of info on the symbolism of the color purple, but that's unnecessary with what you've got going. It's really awesome! I like that you're using purple as a sort of union of the two sides.

*grabs shrinking gun and blasts Siya down to C-chan's size (~17cm)*

..................... Shrunk you down to say "hi!".  :3
Fufufu....  ^^

===============================

Okay, time to write the mother of all replies for Bella-hime's masterpiece.  Stand by. ^^

*types like mad*

Bella

Quote*takes pen and writes on a billboard*
*raises billboard*

Did you see my jaw? I lost it moments ago and I'm pretty sure it has to be somewhere 'round here...

Thank you so much!

QuoteThat!
...I'm....uh...

...BLARGH-

*enters Giant Mode*

THAT. IS. MY. LUNCH.

*approaches Multics-tan and Unix-tan with knife and fork in hand*

KUKUKUKUKU...
:B

Gyah! Ye doth a giant or not, thou shalt be smited for referring to the Goddesses as mere -tans!

*loads giant boot onto catapult*

...no really, thank you!

AWESOME! You did some MIGHTY research there, too!

QuoteI like what you did with the color symbolism. At first I was going to add a bit of info on the symbolism of the color purple, but that's unnecessary with what you've got going. It's really awesome! I like that you're using purple as a sort of union of the two sides.

OMG! A Siya spotting! Get him!!!!

*Chases after Siya with big butterfly net*

Thanks, though, I love researching symbolism...

I shall respond to C-Chan's HUGE review later.

C-Chan

There we go!  Thank ye Bella-hime. ^^

Okay, without further ado, time for some good ol' fashioned C-chan Swoonage Sleuthing.  ^___^

Won't use Quotations, since I want to make this a pure from-the-heart assessment.  ^.^

*starts building suspense*

Added after 1 minutes:

But first....

<.<

>.>

[whispering] (Can I have that giant boot when it's done with the smiting?)  ^___^

=================

Added after 1 hours 34 minutes:

From a purely technical standpoint, your masterpiece had quite a bit to live up to intiially since, as you explained, your original intention was to have a surreal image that divided the two characters perfectly within night and day boundaries.  If you would have told me that's what you wanted, I surely would have helped you out with gusto (you now that when it comes to complex lighting effects, I have some small talent for it).  ^.^

Nevertheless, consider that you did quite A LOT, from sketch to fruition, in less than a week's time, and even with the absence of strong lighting effects, you compensated greatly with a fascinating background as well as the most gorgeous lighting and folding work ever to come from you.  ^^

Let's start with the background:

- I definitely recognize the star object of the sun (cropped a little to imitate the peer-through effect as it intersects opaque objects), but I'm wondering if the glow was also created in Inkscape (in much the same way as I did it in the DangOS panel), or if it's from Photoshop.  Either way, the end-effect is awe-inspiring -- if not for the fact that Unix-sama and Multics-sama steal my breath away the most, the beautiful sun alone is reason enough to glomp.  ^^

- The sky gradient also looks Inkscapish, although the cloud formations I can't really put my finger on whether they were drawn using the randomized, blurred stars I've used before, or hand drawn then blurred.  The realism is perfect, but since this is still sunrise/set, they might have used a little more orange (and some stronger back shading).  

- The white dots are nicely-randomized (perhaps using the technique from the Plan 9 picture?), but correct me if I'm wrong in thinking they're flocks of birds.

- The blurred background in general has very soft lighting, which I think compliments the semi-surrealistc feel of the living symbolism, but also somewhat subdues the sun's radiance.  That might be intentional, but the stair railing and column definitely seem more influenced by the room's possibly lighting than the sun's.  With the columns in particular, the absence of floor shadows gives them a bit of a floating feel -- but certainly fails to detract from the unique shape of the columns that perhaps grabs my interest a lot more.  ^^

- The drapery in general is elegant, but clealry not a difficult task for a Master Folder (you can do it with your eyes closed by now).  ^.^
The background drapery is appropriately subdued, but I feel that the leftmost background curtains could be colored in a more intermediate color.  Since it's farther away from light sources, and also to compliment the "darker" side of the room, it could use a much deeper shade of red (either intermediate of the two curtain types, or just be all-out darker).

- That being said, unless there is a strong light source in the room, the purple wells (which are indeed beautifully textured) should be flat out dark since they do not technically receive any of the sun's lighting.  I think that would play beautifully especially on UNIX-sama's side, since a darker room would only enhance the beauty and refinement of a stained glass window (especially if said stain glass window bleeds a little colored lighting to the adjacent bricks and curtains.  [and btw, are those HORSES I see on the glass?]  ^.^

- Regarding the pottery, it was very intelligent to add them to enhance the Greco-Roman theme.  Even though the architecture style I feel suits neither (Multics-sama always seemed more Victorianesque), it does seem more appropriately "CTSS-samaeque" or perhaps something older, more mature, more ancient.  Just like the bond between mother and daughter.  ^^

As for their lighting, the grey one seems more in the sun's line of sight, so it can probably stay as is (with some slight softening of its shading).  The brown one, however, is technically covered by their bodies (especially MULTICS-sama's MASSIVE dress), so it should receive very little lighting (and the same could be said of the lower half of the leftmost column).  At the very least I think it's highlight is too big even for glazed pottery.  If you look at one, you'll see that, like glass, the highlights are generally concentrated on specific focal points rather than reflecting throughout such a wide area (like metal).

- I just rechecked your post and noticed this isn't the final, so no need to mention the gorgeous oriental rug.  It's gorgeous, but needs shading for maximum, unprecedented, royalty.  ^__^

==================

Now as for the characters.....

- All my comments about shading apply here too, although I certainly leave it up to you to figure out the proper shading map.  Perhaps appropriately so, I see Multics-sama's more massive figure (in terms of dress and real physical body size) stealing virtually all the radiant sunlight, leaving UNIX-sama literally in her shadow (but still lighted from the periphery -- and more uniquely -- from the stain glass window).  it should also be noted that half of Multics-sama's face could also be obscured in her own shadow, making her perhaps more at "one" with her daughter in that neither's history is entirely spotless.

- The UNIX staff is very beautifully done, btw -- once some shading is one on that too, it will defintely be one of the best metal jobs I've seen.  ^.^

- Regarding the character design, this area needs no improvement.  Just as it is it's perfect.  Just perfect!  The eyes are hypnotic and fierce, but elegant and enticing, with the fine eyebrows enhancing the femininity (an asset for the more tomboyishly-dressed UNIX-sama).  With hair you've already acheived a mastery second only to your jaw-dropping clothing -- it simply whips the right way, bristles and cascades down the right way, drapes over body parts the right way, and is shaded/colored to utmost perfection.  A set of full lips (w/ lipstick) is generally a gamble in Animesque art since it's generally more common to just "hint" at lipstick -- but in this case it paid off, as she looks more aptly sorceress-like because of it.  And on the same tone, UNIX-sama's [personality benefits from the secure, non-plussed expression she has, ever the inqusiitve analyst that she is.  The lavish jewelery decorating Multics-sama is indeed a huge contrast to the same hair clip that UNIX-sama brandishes... on the other hand, it's very hard to beat the lolz-worthy owl ears.  ^___^

*looks downward*

Well... okay, so Multics-sama has a full set of wings.  ^^;

Speak of wings, I feel they do blend well, but also get the impression they are a little overly-highlighted.  The white strokes do have the right idea (in line of sight of the sun), but not all throughout -- perhaps if you could use a gradient stroke, we can see it shift from white to black-ish as it progresses closer and closer to her inner body.

- The clothing needs no introduction -- it's simply mind-blowing, out-of-this world, and depth-defying.  Or in short, it's typical Bella-quality.  ^^

The texturing and symbolism of the yellow drapery is interesting and clever -- the shading work adjacent to the grey sash, however, could be fixed a little since the sash doesn't quite feel like it's over it.  The grey portions are spot-on, although again the cloth around her breasts should be shaded.  The lower white lining of the dress definitely leaves me at a loss for words, since it definitely shows how much time and energy you really poured into this drawing [I almost feel like an ass adding shading suggestions, since you clearly know what you're doing on many levels.]  ^^
Of particular cuteness even as how the drapery is so LARGE, UNIX-sama literally has to step on the folds of her dress to even get close to her mother.  Granted the boots wouldn't be particularly large, but Multics-sama must really be at peace for her not to mind that.  ^___^

Even less to say about UNIS-sama's dress since it is, thankfully (from a drawing perspective) uniquely UNIX-sama-esqueI do have to thank you a lot for adding the perforated name on her skirt -- it means so much to deck the picture out with a small homage to my first true sketch of her -- the on that literally started UNIX-samaism.  ^___^

- And as a small comment about the symbolism, I'm actually thrilled that I unintentionally nailed it on UNIX-sama's symbolism.  As they say in the vernecular, "Who'd a thunk it?!"  ^___^
But what interests me the most is the silver/gold connection, which actually strikes a more uniquely-technical note with me.  ^.^

It's often said that if you were ever marooned on a deserted island, money will be no good to you.  That might be true of paper, but if you're stranded with a whole bunch of [pre-1982] penny roles, that's actually great since you can melt them down to make yourself copper.  Copper is a great metal to have, since it has a sufficiently-low melt point to be able to shaped into anything you want with little more than a fire, and yet is strong enough to serve as a good makeshift spearhead, farming hoe, or other useful items.  And of course it has great electrical conductivity and potential medical benefits.

Silver, while much softer, is equally useful in many primitive and modern applications -- it has MUCH greater electrical conductivity and has unique light-collection capabilities.  It's anti-bacterial capabiltiies are also quite astonishing, though perhaps not too well understood.  And since it has several thousands of years worth of experience as a modern monetary currency, it's no surprise that silver is perhaps THE MOST USEFUL PRECIOUS METAL ever in the history of all precious metals, and it's a shame that the metal is not advertised nowadays for anything more useful than jewelery.

Gold, on the other hand, does have many useful modern applications, but it's the first metal to be inherently useless for primitive uses.  As a chemically-indestructible metal, it's peerless for making statues and jewelry that could potentially last forever, but it's too soft to be used for anything more useful than that.  It's gorgeous, but at that level quite supeficial -- and yet it's very rare and prized by kings, so historically  it's always had too great an elevated status.

Somehow,... that just FEELS appropriate as well.  ^^

========================

To sum it all up, there is still more shade work to be had that can really increase the brilliance of the imagery and symbolism-- but in all honesty, its only about as useful as adding another cloud to heaven.  As it stands, this is incredible work and you should be proud to be able to come up with stuff like this on such short notice!  If you ever wondered how I managed to stick around for so long, you need only look on your screen.  

On a side note, I would kill to see the reacton of your past self if you borrowed Leo-chan's watch, traveled back in time, and showed her what you would be up to just a year or two from then.  ^^

Bella

This is a really big response, so it's gonna be awhile before I can reply to it...I'm trying to do a few fixes to this picture (especially the background), per your recommendations. But one thing isn't jiving...for some reason, it doesn't look right when I make the left wall darker than the right is somehow shining on the left one. So I dunno if I'll do that or not. : \

Siya

Bwaaaah!  I've been shrunk and I'm being chased!  I'll try never to go on long, unexplained absences ever again! DX

Bella

Very Large View-- FINAL!

Changes include all blurring done in Inkscape, and the SVG was exported as a whole (whereas the last version was split between the characters and background, and combined in PS). Cloud smudging and luminosity was added in PS as well.  

I've fought tooth and nail to suppress "OCD Psycho Bella" for the past years, and, well, I guess she's reappeared. But I promise this WILL be the final version...

Unless anybody has anything to point out...

Please go ahead and do so...

Really. Speak now or forever hold your peace...

QuoteBwaaaah! I've been shrunk and I'm being chased! I'll try never to go on long, unexplained absences ever again! DX

Course you aren't going anywhere, I have you in a big butterfly net! No really, I saw you found my page on DA. Like that's going very well...so far my club is comprised of me, myself and I. What a club that is. >////<

Just as well, I like hanging out here instead...so, what's happened while you were out? I did a vector sketch of GMOS-sama (using your drawing as a basis), but have nothing to show for it as Inkscape inexplicably ate it whole. Maybe I'll be able to help the the completion or coloring of some of your drawings; I can't promise anything, but I'd be willing to help.

Hope we see you around... ^^

NejinOniwa

Hamu, hamu, haum. Hm.

Alright. As this is the finished product, I'll give up some serious criticism instead of just swooning over.

The entire floor and background look very "absent" from the main part of the picture; the huge difference in sharpness makes it almost look like it's been shooped in afterwards. It gives off a very strange feel when UNIX' feet are sharp as a blade, but standing on a carpet that's as blurry as a bad photograph.
Also, the two pillars at the front don't benefit much from being that sharp; since they're not as detailed as the rest of the sharp picture, they kind of take away some of the feel.
So; gradual differences in blur recommended, pretty much everywhere.

NOW OVER TO YOUR DAILY DOSE OF GIANT, HUNGRY NEJIN.
*transforms into a red Pacman clone with 20 meters in diameter*

OM NOM NOM!!!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

***FINAL-ISH VERSION***

More shading added, some darker shadows on the curtains, too.

QuoteThank you, Bella-hime. ^___^

If you say it's clever, I imagine it's cause you probably saw that the whole star field is composed of little more than 6 objects -- three polka-dot pattern fills of different sizes and alpha channels, and three randomized stars (also of different sizes and alphas) to add the randomized "seed" effect. A few more light-blue randomized stars are added for nebulas. ^.^

Had I used blurring on this, it would have made previewing the scene a LOT more uncomfortable. ^^;

The Planets are just two sets of fears using extremely-subtle gradient effects, plus some random shapes added n top for texture. The Uranus-like planet was complimented with an outer radial gradient to simulate an atmosphere. ^.^

The new Cairo engine was supposed to handle blurring a little better -- but you're right that still seems to be a problem, especially when zooming in real close. I have noticed that once blurring is removed entirely (it has to be at 0% no exceptions -- even a 0.3% blurring can cause slowdowns) things are hunky-dory. Between that and the need to draw without blurring (for KDE4) graphics, I'm rediscovering the art of improvisation. ^___^

You could say I got too spoiled by blurring, but no longer (if I really need it, I'll add it post-production). ^.^;

At least the exports are snappy-- I remember with 0.45, it would sometimes take upward of 15 minutes to export a picture to PNG. But with even with the newest, Inkscape-blurred version of this picture...it was done in under a minute.

QuoteYou'd be amazed as well how very little I actually know about my favorite program. ^.^
Probably doesn't help that we've been literally drawing drawing drawing non-stop without time to sit back and really soak in all the extra features.

Life Effects and Pattern along Paths are still two things I'd like to explore a little more. -v-

Also once you sorta get a routine going, it's difficult to break that routine to explore other possibilities. It wasn't until that VMS/eCOS-tan picture now so long ago that I switched from doing mostly clip/set semi-transperent shading (with a lighter base color) to doing a darker base shade and adding highlighting in most cases.

QuoteWell if you think that be strange, than I most certainly most be weird myself cause I actually fancied the same idea not too long ago. An elegant and stylized picture of a younger and more robust Multics-sama, with beautiful wings outstretched, holding and comforting a love-starved and teary little UNIX-sama (also with her own pitch-black wings). Didn't mention it cause I figured it'd make a great birthday present (gotta start thinking about January, after all). ^.^

OMG! I KNEW I should have given Unix-sama wings!!! I swear on a stack of The Unix-Haters Handbooks, I had that thought. Really. >v<
That sounds liek that would have been a gorgeous picture. Now I'm a bit sad I made this one...

...But on the other hand, this just goes to prove the existence of my amazing inadvertent telepathic powers. -___-

Oh yeah, and I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient way to work this suicide parsley. Is it the ol' train-tracks side-to-side, or is it straight up-and-down? I'm not an emo so I have NO experience at these matters TT

QuoteThere was no real explanation behind such a picture, other than that it could be interpreted as a "what-if" scenario had history conspired less to tear them apart.

But its hard to say the end result would have matched the awe-inspiring greatness of your rendition.
Not only are your shoes too big to fill, I can probably fill them up with water and make swimming pools out of them. OvO

*ceases sawing at wrists with parsley*

Nonesense, I'm sure your version would've been beautiful!

*resumes sawing at wrists*

QuoteHmmm... I was worried about watching/reading that due to the over-press. But if Bella-hime endorses it, then.... 0v0

Yeah, I initially skiped it cause I thought it was a bit overhyped as well. But it's actually pretty enteraining.

WAAAAAAAAH!!!!! Bella-hime finished this so quickly and I took forever to swoon over it.... ;___;

*suckage meters rises to dangerous levels*

*throws self in vat of frying oil*

Oh wait... yeah... this time, I won't be caught off guard. ^___^

*lights match*

This is how you get frying oil cooking right? ^-^

*casually tosses match on oil*

*ceases sawing*

Say, is there room in that deep fryer for me?

QuoteAh! That's a lovely rendition of the Bohemian chick. ^^
Her dress is a little more in tatters than what I'm used to seeing from you, but that's pretty much intentional based on A) her personality, and B) the actual real-life computer (which looks worse than most cubicles). ^__^'

the cute hat, sassy face and long, whipping brown hair, and unique embroidery around the cleavage area are definitely highlights of the picture. ^__^

However, I actually don't think the right arm looks as bad as you say it is -- if anything, it looks a little more natural than the left arm, which has too deep of a separation line on the elbow, and also ends at too pointy a tip. Moreover, her right leg looks a little too separated from the rest of her body (based on the direction her thigh is going), and could probably be moved over to the right (your right) a few clicks. Granted a lot of horse riders walk in such a bow-legged stance, but in this case it seems a little overdone. =v='

Aside from that, it's still amazing you finished her up near around the same time as your epic UNIX-sama/Multics-sama picture. ^___^

Well, she was sort of striking a pose, so I think the legs were intentially done that way. Can't say the same for the left arm...but again, I was just trying to get it done. -__-

QuoteThat's a very interesting question. ^___^
I have my suspicions that she might, inadvertently, behave around Linux-sama in exactly the same way as CTSS-sama behaved around her: overprotective and outdated. ^.^

On the other hand, the concept of open source, while alien and perhaps blasphemous to her at first, would probably win her over much more quickly.

Certainly helps that she's open sauced NOW. ^.^

I second this...after all, Multics-sama would view Linux-sama as something of a would-be granddaughter, and her last best bet as someone to "carry on her legacy".

Probably wouldn't hurt that they don't look all that dissimilar, either. ^^

QuoteAnd, if I might add, if that fashion color-matching sense applies to real-life, then that be some serious trade skillz you have to keep under the belt. ^^

Oh yeah, fashion designer, that's another thing on my unnervingly long list of things I could do someday. Except for the fact that I'm a butcher behind a sewing machine. -___-

Then again, not to long ago I had a string of odd dreams were I was looking at different dresses and outfits...I kept getting up and sketching them (long into the wee hours of the morning), along with notes about the types of fabrics and cuts used on them. Mind you, I wasn't consciously thinking about this; it was just as if everything I've studied about fashion in the past years came together at that point. O.o

QuoteTry adding more nodes to all the paths that keep disappearing. I notice that some get cut off too until I do this. -v-

Does it has to do with size, too? 'Cause I've noticed the smaller the export image, the less paths missing...

...then again, with this last picture, I just grouped all the objects together and had nary an export problem (and the PNG export was a whopping 2000 x 1500-some pixels!)

QuoteNo, in this case I would say it's only right that the sauce belong to you. You deserve it honestly. ^^

The Grandfather clock would not have fit in this picture -- seeing it I feel a fountain or a garden statue would fit better instead (assuming it could work in some symbolism).

I'm unfamiliar with the symbolism of either, but a fountain probably would have worked well.

QuoteNO GIANTS ALLOWED -- ESPECIALLY WITH VORE STUFF!! The C-chan forbids it! >.<

The only thing you're gonna be eating from them now is their skin flakes... kukuku.... `v'

Gyah! That was pretty weird o__O

QuoteFrom a purely technical standpoint, your masterpiece had quite a bit to live up to intiially since, as you explained, your original intention was to have a surreal image that divided the two characters perfectly within night and day boundaries. If you would have told me that's what you wanted, I surely would have helped you out with gusto (you now that when it comes to complex lighting effects, I have some small talent for it). ^.^

Nevertheless, consider that you did quite A LOT, from sketch to fruition, in less than a week's time, and even with the absence of strong lighting effects, you compensated greatly with a fascinating background as well as the most gorgeous lighting and folding work ever to come from you. ^^

Yeah, I didn't really want to bother you 'cause I figured you'd have enough on your plate. I originally just wanted to make this a hand-drawing, then moved onto wanting to make this a more stylized and efficient drawing, but then decided to go all out. I think I'm finally happy with this picture...

Quote- I definitely recognize the star object of the sun (cropped a little to imitate the peer-through effect as it intersects opaque objects), but I'm wondering if the glow was also created in Inkscape (in much the same way as I did it in the DangOS panel), or if it's from Photoshop. Either way, the end-effect is awe-inspiring -- if not for the fact that Unix-sama and Multics-sama steal my breath away the most, the beautiful sun alone is reason enough to glomp. ^^

- The sky gradient also looks Inkscapish, although the cloud formations I can't really put my finger on whether they were drawn using the randomized, blurred stars I've used before, or hand drawn then blurred. The realism is perfect, but since this is still sunrise/set, they might have used a little more orange (and some stronger back shading).

- The white dots are nicely-randomized (perhaps using the technique from the Plan 9 picture?), but correct me if I'm wrong in thinking they're flocks of birds.

- Yeah, that's a star object, and the glow was created in Photoshop (using a large, soft brush, set on the "soft light" mode.) Pretty much everything you see in this version was done in Inkscape, minus some of the luminosity effects.

- The clouds were done with a randomized star shape. This version I did a orange base with a yellow highlight, and in PS I used the smudge tool to give it a wavy, wispy look.

- The dots are supposed to be stars, and I was inspired by your work with the Plan 9 picture; the major difference being that I used randomized star shapes with a dot pastern fill, and set the transparency to different levels.

Quote- The blurred background in general has very soft lighting, which I think compliments the semi-surrealistc feel of the living symbolism, but also somewhat subdues the sun's radiance. That might be intentional, but the stair railing and column definitely seem more influenced by the room's possibly lighting than the sun's. With the columns in particular, the absence of floor shadows gives them a bit of a floating feel -- but certainly fails to detract from the unique shape of the columns that perhaps grabs my interest a lot more. ^^

- The drapery in general is elegant, but clealry not a difficult task for a Master Folder (you can do it with your eyes closed by now). ^.^
The background drapery is appropriately subdued, but I feel that the leftmost background curtains could be colored in a more intermediate color. Since it's farther away from light sources, and also to compliment the "darker" side of the room, it could use a much deeper shade of red (either intermediate of the two curtain types, or just be all-out darker).

- That being said, unless there is a strong light source in the room, the purple wells (which are indeed beautifully textured) should be flat out dark since they do not technically receive any of the sun's lighting. I think that would play beautifully especially on UNIX-sama's side, since a darker room would only enhance the beauty and refinement of a stained glass window (especially if said stain glass window bleeds a little colored lighting to the adjacent bricks and curtains. [and btw, are those HORSES I see on the glass?] ^.^

-Hopefully with this version (3.0?), the lighting is a bit more dramatic. Added floor shadowing and worked in some shading on Multics-sama's dress to tie her in with the rest of the room.

-Draperies on the left side were darkened, and highlighting was added.

-The walls were darken, and the left side was made darker than the right. Wasn't sure how it'd end up, but I think it makes the stained glass window "pop" a lot more. I also added some blue highlighting on Unix-sama and the nearby columns and curtains. And yes, I think those are horses. I Googled stained glass windows and came up with this image, and instantly loved it.

Hmmm....well I love horses, but I wonder what horses mean symbolicly...

*runs off to symbolism site*

QuoteThe horse is quite often a solar symbol, and is one of intelligence. According to its color, a horse may symbolize either destruction or victory (fiery-red and white, respectively). It is a maternal archetype, and it might also symbolize "impulsiveness, impetuosity of desire, the instinctive impulses that motivate man". Is connected in many ways with aspects of the earth, specifically the SUN, MOON, and WATER. In addition, it is related to air and wind, acting as the mediator between heaven and earth; Centaurs are wind gods.

It carries many characteristics of the person as well, such as fertility, fidelity, sensitivity, strength, selfishness, anger, stubborness, stupidity and vanity. In psychology it can be the unconscious, subhuman side. A figure highly associated with many aspects of war, especially in the Greek tradition. Colors: white - omen of death but also innocence and divinity; black - famine; red - war; grey - devil. Types of horses: two - intellect, especially when harnessed together; winged - poetic relations; grazing - peace.

Wow, that fits...pretty well... ^^'

Quote- Regarding the pottery, it was very intelligent to add them to enhance the Greco-Roman theme. Even though the architecture style I feel suits neither (Multics-sama always seemed more Victorianesque), it does seem more appropriately "CTSS-samaeque" or perhaps something older, more mature, more ancient. Just like the bond between mother and daughter. ^^

As for their lighting, the grey one seems more in the sun's line of sight, so it can probably stay as is (with some slight softening of its shading). The brown one, however, is technically covered by their bodies (especially MULTICS-sama's MASSIVE dress), so it should receive very little lighting (and the same could be said of the lower half of the leftmost column). At the very least I think it's highlight is too big even for glazed pottery. If you look at one, you'll see that, like glass, the highlights are generally concentrated on specific focal points rather than reflecting throughout such a wide area (like metal).

- I just rechecked your post and noticed this isn't the final, so no need to mention the gorgeous oriental rug. It's gorgeous, but needs shading for maximum, unprecedented, royalty. ^__^

I initially associated Multics-sama's style with Victorian era dress, but later I thought it more exotic to include some Roman, Greek, and Indian-inspired touches. Certainly if I had ever done a close-up drawing of her upper body I would have added some jewelry like this...

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2006/07/01/stories/2006070101190300.htm

Not exactly sure why, but it seems to fit.

- I hope that I was able to fix some of the shadowing problems. I did less of a highlight on the pottery, softened the shading, but still left some "shine" because I think it's in the foreground slightly in front of Multics-sama.

QuoteNow as for the characters.....

- All my comments about shading apply here too, although I certainly leave it up to you to figure out the proper shading map. Perhaps appropriately so, I see Multics-sama's more massive figure (in terms of dress and real physical body size) stealing virtually all the radiant sunlight, leaving UNIX-sama literally in her shadow (but still lighted from the periphery -- and more uniquely -- from the stain glass window). it should also be noted that half of Multics-sama's face could also be obscured in her own shadow, making her perhaps more at "one" with her daughter in that neither's history is entirely spotless.

- The UNIX staff is very beautifully done, btw -- once some shading is one on that too, it will defintely be one of the best metal jobs I've seen. ^.^

- Regarding the character design, this area needs no improvement. Just as it is it's perfect. Just perfect! The eyes are hypnotic and fierce, but elegant and enticing, with the fine eyebrows enhancing the femininity (an asset for the more tomboyishly-dressed UNIX-sama). With hair you've already acheived a mastery second only to your jaw-dropping clothing -- it simply whips the right way, bristles and cascades down the right way, drapes over body parts the right way, and is shaded/colored to utmost perfection. A set of full lips (w/ lipstick) is generally a gamble in Animesque art since it's generally more common to just "hint" at lipstick -- but in this case it paid off, as she looks more aptly sorceress-like because of it. And on the same tone, UNIX-sama's [personality benefits from the secure, non-plussed expression she has, ever the inqusiitve analyst that she is. The lavish jewelery decorating Multics-sama is indeed a huge contrast to the same hair clip that UNIX-sama brandishes... on the other hand, it's very hard to beat the lolz-worthy owl ears. ^___^

*looks downward*

Well... okay, so Multics-sama has a full set of wings. ^^;

Speak of wings, I feel they do blend well, but also get the impression they are a little overly-highlighted. The white strokes do have the right idea (in line of sight of the sun), but not all throughout -- perhaps if you could use a gradient stroke, we can see it shift from white to black-ish as it progresses closer and closer to her inner body.

- I added a bit more shading to the newest version. It was done very quickly in Inkscape, but the reason I also posted the normal version is because I can't decide which I like more.  : \
I like your idea to have some of Multics-sama's face in the shadow, so I did just that (even though it's a bit hard to see).

-The metal was done using a dark-lighter-white-darker-lighted-dark gradient, I actually got the idea from your original Unix-sama vector sketch where it looks as if you did the same effect. I addded some shading on the right side, I hope it worked out well.

- I took a lot of care with the eyes here (as I always do), but I did go the extra step and add some blurring and a little more highlighting that I normally do. I took a lot of time with the hair, too...right down to one of Multics-sama's forelocks resting on Unix-sama (again, trying to tie them together). I've always known lipstick to be uncommon in Anime art...though, when I think about it, most Anime series I've seen usually have at least one character who wears lipstick. I personally think it's just easier to draw characters without that extra detail (plus it detracts a bit from the eyes, which is almost always the focal point of the face). But I've always drawn Multics-sama with lipstick-- as you said, it adds to her sorceress look (as does the Multics logo tattoo on her upper chest, though it's much more difficult to see here). A lot of the jewelry used came from bitmap traces.

I added a gradient stroke to Multics-sama's wings, too. It's odd, her wings have gotten progressively darker with each picture...I don't think it's intentional, but this time I used a dark base and highlights. I wanted them to look a bit softer, as I've always had some trouble making wings look more realistic and bird-like. I should note, her left one is supposed to be broken (thus it's hanging lower than the other.)

Quote- The clothing needs no introduction -- it's simply mind-blowing, out-of-this world, and depth-defying. Or in short, it's typical Bella-quality. ^^

The texturing and symbolism of the yellow drapery is interesting and clever -- the shading work adjacent to the grey sash, however, could be fixed a little since the sash doesn't quite feel like it's over it. The grey portions are spot-on, although again the cloth around her breasts should be shaded. The lower white lining of the dress definitely leaves me at a loss for words, since it definitely shows how much time and energy you really poured into this drawing [I almost feel like an ass adding shading suggestions, since you clearly know what you're doing on many levels.] ^^
Of particular cuteness even as how the drapery is so LARGE, UNIX-sama literally has to step on the folds of her dress to even get close to her mother. Granted the boots wouldn't be particularly large, but Multics-sama must really be at peace for her not to mind that. ^___^

Even less to say about UNIS-sama's dress since it is, thankfully (from a drawing perspective) uniquely UNIX-sama-esqueI do have to thank you a lot for adding the perforated name on her skirt -- it means so much to deck the picture out with a small homage to my first true sketch of her -- the on that literally started UNIX-samaism. ^___^

- And as a small comment about the symbolism, I'm actually thrilled that I unintentionally nailed it on UNIX-sama's symbolism. As they say in the vernecular, "Who'd a thunk it?!" ^___^

- I added more shading to the yellow portion of the dress, especially around the lavender bow. I did a bit more dark shading to the lower portion of the dress to tie it in with the background.

As for Unix-sama having to step on her mother's dress just to get close to her...I thought this would be rather cute, too. The drawings I've done show Multics-sama's more conservative dresses. Certainly some of her special occasion dresses would be much larger that this-- I imagine some would be able to take up an entire small room (and would certainly make a good hiding place for her Daemons), and that she would need several helpers to just guide the train of her dress around. Of course, she would have much lighter clothes for battles and such as well.

Unix-sama's dress is inspired by the one she was wearing in the *Nix Festivus picture I drew last year; but I added the name perforation as a nod to your first vector sketch of her.

- The owl anthropomorphism is probably one of the fitting ones I've seen, so I applaude you for that. I should also note that the rabbit, Plan 9-sama's anthropomorphic character, can be tied in with the owl; rabbits are also associated with the moon, nighttime, and Mother Earth. Shark/VMS-sama fits eerily well too... ^^

Still wish penguins had some sort of ancient symbolic meaning...then again, I guess there were never any humans in Antarctica to assign them meaning. Most modern accounts of penguins show them as social, tolerant to difficult conditions, and peaceable. And if you throw in cartoons, as being incredibly crafty and really good dancers. So... XD

QuoteBut what interests me the most is the silver/gold connection, which actually strikes a more uniquely-technical note with me. ^.^

It's often said that if you were ever marooned on a deserted island, money will be no good to you. That might be true of paper, but if you're stranded with a whole bunch of [pre-1982] penny roles, that's actually great since you can melt them down to make yourself copper. Copper is a great metal to have, since it has a sufficiently-low melt point to be able to shaped into anything you want with little more than a fire, and yet is strong enough to serve as a good makeshift spearhead, farming hoe, or other useful items. And of course it has great electrical conductivity and potential medical benefits.

Silver, while much softer, is equally useful in many primitive and modern applications -- it has MUCH greater electrical conductivity and has unique light-collection capabilities. It's anti-bacterial capabiltiies are also quite astonishing, though perhaps not too well understood. And since it has several thousands of years worth of experience as a modern monetary currency, it's no surprise that silver is perhaps THE MOST USEFUL PRECIOUS METAL ever in the history of all precious metals, and it's a shame that the metal is not advertised nowadays for anything more useful than jewelery.

Gold, on the other hand, does have many useful modern applications, but it's the first metal to be inherently useless for primitive uses. As a chemically-indestructible metal, it's peerless for making statues and jewelry that could potentially last forever, but it's too soft to be used for anything more useful than that. It's gorgeous, but at that level quite supeficial -- and yet it's very rare and prized by kings, so historically it's always had too great an elevated status.

Somehow,... that just FEELS appropriate as well. ^^

Wow, that is a good point...I knew copper was useful, and silver had very good conductivity and antibacterial properties; but I never realized that gold was so...useless. I must say, this is very appropriate!

QuoteTo sum it all up, there is still more shade work to be had that can really increase the brilliance of the imagery and symbolism-- but in all honesty, its only about as useful as adding another cloud to heaven. As it stands, this is incredible work and you should be proud to be able to come up with stuff like this on such short notice! If you ever wondered how I managed to stick around for so long, you need only look on your screen.

On a side note, I would kill to see the reacton of your past self if you borrowed Leo-chan's watch, traveled back in time, and showed her what you would be up to just a year or two from then. ^^

And if you've ever wondered how I've managed to come up with stuff like this, you need only look to yourself. The same goes for Aurora, Siya, Nejin, Techno, anybody and everybody who has been kind enough to look at my work and offer their own thoughts. When I came here I wasn't anything...I could barely scratch out a picture. I had no style to call my own, I could only look around me and learn. Artistically speaking, you guys made me everything I am today; and you should be very proud of what you've built. I could never take all the credit for what I've done.

I never expected to get this far, either. Maybe I realized I could...but I know I couldn't have without your support, without the support of everybody here.

QuoteHamu, hamu, haum. Hm.

Alright. As this is the finished product, I'll give up some serious criticism instead of just swooning over.

The entire floor and background look very "absent" from the main part of the picture; the huge difference in sharpness makes it almost look like it's been shooped in afterwards. It gives off a very strange feel when UNIX' feet are sharp as a blade, but standing on a carpet that's as blurry as a bad photograph.
Also, the two pillars at the front don't benefit much from being that sharp; since they're not as detailed as the rest of the sharp picture, they kind of take away some of the feel.
So; gradual differences in blur recommended, pretty much everywhere.

NOW OVER TO YOUR DAILY DOSE OF GIANT, HUNGRY NEJIN.
*transforms into a red Pacman clone with 20 meters in diameter*

OM NOM NOM!!!

Thank you for the criticism...with the newest version I added more shading around the characters and on the back left pillar. Inkscape has no gradual blurring tools, so I guess this is why I didn't do a gradual blur when it comes to the foreground.

*transforms into giant ghost*

*gets chased around by Nejin-san Pacman*

Aurora Borealis

Most epic responses to a most epic picture! The changes in shading on your latest revision look great!

Bella

QuoteMost epic responses to a most epic picture! The changes in shading on your latest revision look great!

Thank you! I'm just happy you were able to read through those epic responses. ^^'

And I'm glad you like the latest (hopefully) greatest version.

Anyhow...here's some bored doodling...

Here's a Gurren Laggan parody picture with Amiga-sama cosplaying as Yoko, and Vi-kun as Simon. And...some random mole-pig hiding out on Miggy.

This was a random drawing...I got to thinking, hey...when the going gets though for Massachusettsans, and they need a break, they instinctively flock to one of two places. Either a) New Hampshire, or b) The Cape (that's Cape Cod to you non-New Englanders). Could the same be said for Mass. OS-tans? Yes, it's DEC-tans on their day off, hanging at the beach. Right to left is an angry VMS-sama (geomancing some water out of the ground), a young Ultrix-tan ("admiring" RT11-tan's sand castle), RT11-tan (trying to build a sand castle-- things never did work out very well for her), RSTS-tan (I always thought of her as the stocky, muscular type...I don't know if I captured that in this drawing), Tenex-tan (being the friendly type she is, helping RT11-tan), and Red-kun, who just dumped a bucket of water on his Commanding Officer and is now facing a lot of wrath.

Most of the established CIOST members. I was going to do (actually started) a vector sketch of this one. It was to be very quickly draw and shaded-- almost like a screencap from an anime, but my inspiration told me otherwise. >___<

Right to left clockwise, TRON, EPOC, Red, VxWorks, Ununium, NeXTSTEP, FreeVMS, GECOS, OpenVMS, eCOS, Primos, BeOS and ISMAI-tan.

(Finished?) Plan 9-sama, NetBSD and Inferno-chan picture.

(Finished?) Technically a collaboration between C-Chan, Aurora and I, but I'll post it here for the sake of just posting it at all. I finally got around to making a background and adding some more detail...those bubbles were raided from Miggy-sama's bouquet.

C-Chan

Yo Bella-hime.  ^^
In my usual "wallowing in suckage" self, I regret to say I won't be able to reply to this thread in full just yet.  Getting pretty tired, and I'm hoping to conserve my strength for tomorrow -- what little time I have left, I want to use drawing some BSDs... and if possible, a very special chibi set.  ^__^

But I do want to say just four things:

1)  The "Final-ish" drawing of your epic picture looks phenomenal!!  Nearly every point i brought up you addressed in some way, and clear makes the image even deeper and richer like royal velvet.  Anything that's still left to be done is insignificant at this point.  ^^

2)  While Inkscape cannot directly perform a gradient blur, there is a way to imitate such depth perception.  I've only done it once using the below tutorial, but the results were very promising... .^^

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.45-depthoffield.png

3)  REAL parsley suiciders don't do it sideways or up-and-down.  Instead, we POKE our wrists with the tip of the stem like so... *demonstrates*  ...like Chinese water torture.  Learn from the best, kid.  `v'

Seriously, though, you forget one thing.  I don't doubt my idea sounds great on paper, but the sad reality is that I never would have done it.  I can't stand that I'm leaving soon and so many great ideas will leave with me only because I've lost, not only my will, but also my stamiina.  Maybe you could say I'm not as young as I used to be....  *bones creek*.  -v-

So don't be said -- be happy that you fulfilled an old pig his wish.  ^^

4)  In that tone, yes I'm more than proud of who you are and what you become.  You say I'm your Constant (from the siggy), but you've surpassed me a LONG time ago.  I'm glad to tears that you say you will miss me, but I hope and pray that you won't ever need me.  Let the brilliance of your own evolution of your talent be your driving force from here on -- anything else, including my Wall-O-Text praise and swoonage are simply icing on the cake.

============

Now then, time for some rest.  ^^

*repurposes the giant boot into a house [Mother Goose-style] and walks in to go to sleep*

Added after 1 minutes:

*suddenly gapes in awe as not one, but a DOZEN new pictures arrive out of nowhere*

Bella-hime must have clones of herself.  Or she found the REAL C-One and is delegating the sketchwork... ^v^

*faints*

Siya

QuoteCourse you aren't going anywhere, I have you in a big butterfly net! No really, I saw you found my page on DA. Like that's going very well...so far my club is comprised of me, myself and I. What a club that is. >////<
I'll join the club!!  Do you want me to PM you the links for all my OS-tans on dA or do you want to wade through for them, yourself?

QuoteI did a vector sketch of GMOS-sama (using your drawing as a basis), but have nothing to show for it as Inkscape inexplicably ate it whole. Maybe I'll be able to help the the completion or coloring of some of your drawings; I can't promise anything, but I'd be willing to help.
Really?!  I wish I could have seen it!  D:  It's always horrible to lose a project you're working on.

I could always use help finishing up my concepts, but never feel obliged to do it!  It wouldn't be fair if my laziness in a hobby became a burden to others. ^^;

QuoteStill wish penguins had some sort of ancient symbolic meaning...then again, I guess there were never any humans in Antarctica to assign them meaning. Most modern accounts of penguins show them as social, tolerant to difficult conditions, and peaceable. And if you throw in cartoons, as being incredibly crafty and really good dancers. So... XD
If you like, here's a page I found which explains what it means to have a Penguin totem.  I stumbled upon a website that has a list of animal totems...  Some of them seem a bit odd.

QuoteHere's a Gurren Laggan parody picture with Amiga-sama cosplaying as Yoko, and Vi-kun as Simon. And...some random mole-pig hiding out on Miggy.
I've never seen Gurren Laggan, myself.  However, I've seen so much fanart of it by now that I feel I already know all the main characters.  Excellent cosplaying! ^^

QuoteThis was a random drawing...I got to thinking, hey...when the going gets though for Massachusettsans, and they need a break, they instinctively flock to one of two places. Either a) New Hampshire, or b) The Cape (that's Cape Cod to you non-New Englanders). Could the same be said for Mass. OS-tans? Yes, it's DEC-tans on their day off...
I love how you can manage to throw large groups of characters together so well and have them all so comically active!  I don't even try...

QuoteMost of the established CIOST members. I was going to do (actually started) a vector sketch of this one. It was to be very quickly draw and shaded-- almost like a screencap from an anime, but my inspiration told me otherwise. >___<
Speaking of large groups of characters...wow!

Quote(Finished?) Plan 9-sama, NetBSD and Inferno-chan picture.
I know you've posted your progress on this and it has been coming along rather well.  I really enjoy the floating bunnies....and toaster.......and volcano.  

QuoteFinished?) Technically a collaboration between C-Chan, Aurora and I, but I'll post it here for the sake of just posting it at all. I finally got around to making a background and adding some more detail...those bubbles were raided from Miggy-sama's bouquet.
The collaboration is wonderful!  Great job to all involved! ^^

C-Chan

Here's a quick maintenance response to Bella-hime's bonus art.  ^^
Admittedly I'm having trouble finalzing the BSD-tan pictures, so I may not be able to post them here tomorrow afterall.  Instead, I'd like to aim for their deployment in her new DeviantArt page.  ^^

That way, tomorrow [well, actually today...] I can work on creating one last picture which I think serves as a more appropriate farewell gift.  It'll be a chibi one -- the art style that, for better or for worse, helped build my name in this place.  

QuoteAt least the exports are snappy-- I remember with 0.45, it would sometimes take upward of 15 minutes to export a picture to PNG. But with even with the newest, Inkscape-blurred version of this picture...it was done in under a minute.

In fairness, that seems like a reasonable trade-off.  I remember how atrocious export times were.

Also once you sorta get a routine going, it's difficult to break that routine to explore other possibilities. It wasn't until that VMS/eCOS-tan picture now so long ago that I switched from doing mostly clip/set semi-transperent shading (with a lighter base color) to doing a darker base shade and adding highlighting in most cases.

Fufufu... admittedly, the clip stuff did kill me a bit with the Plan9-sama pic.  Not necessarily because it's bad (although it does limit slight adjustments a little), but because it was different from what I was used to.  Still, I think I managed well enough. ^^

...But on the other hand, this just goes to prove the existence of my amazing inadvertent telepathic powers. -___-

Well those amazing inadvertent telepathic powers are what I strongly believe has kept me sane throughout all our discussions.  So by all means, prove away.  ^.^

QuoteNonesense, I'm sure your version would've been beautiful!

In my mind, everything looks beautiful yes.  ^^
In reality,.. well,... you should be asking if it would have ever even existed.  ^>^;

Now gimme that parsley back.  >v<

QuoteSay, is there room in that deep fryer for me?

Nope.  Besides, takes an awful lot of oil to fry Sap Queens. ^.^

I second this...after all, Multics-sama would view Linux-sama as something of a would-be granddaughter, and her last best bet as someone to "carry on her legacy".

Probably wouldn't hurt that they don't look all that dissimilar, either. ^^

Well as long as Multics-sama is open sauced now, we may yet have the opportunity to see that in action someday.  ^^

All i know is that such a meeting would most certainly be a mixture of sappiness and lolziness.  -v-

Then again, not to long ago I had a string of odd dreams were I was looking at different dresses and outfits...I kept getting up and sketching them (long into the wee hours of the morning), along with notes about the types of fabrics and cuts used on them. Mind you, I wasn't consciously thinking about this; it was just as if everything I've studied about fashion in the past years came together at that point. O.o

FUFUFU~!!!  An epiphany!!!  ^v^

Sieze the day, you Bella-hime!  ^___^

Make your own Mukluk boots if at all possible!  ^.^

No but seriously, that's fantastic to hear.  Wheneve your body insists on doing something creative, let it. That's how greatness is formed -- on the spur of the moment.  ^___^

QuoteGyah! That was pretty weird o__O

Fufufu.... ^___^

*gets on ladder, climbs up, pats Bella-hime on the head, climbs back down*

For the sake of your own sanity, it's better that you keep thinking of that as weird.  We only need one person doomed to strange fetishes, not two.  -v-

Yeah, I didn't really want to bother you 'cause I figured you'd have enough on your plate. I originally just wanted to make this a hand-drawing, then moved onto wanting to make this a more stylized and efficient drawing, but then decided to go all out. I think I'm finally happy with this picture...

Nah, should have bothered me anyway.  It is true I said I had a lot on my plate, but as you can see, in typical C-chan suckage, I didn't get all of it done.  There is still tomorrow, but... *piffles*... who am I kidding?  All I can do is use these LOOOONG responses to salvage my reputation in tatters... -v-;

- The owl anthropomorphism is probably one of the fitting ones I've seen, so I applaude you for that. I should also note that the rabbit, Plan 9-sama's anthropomorphic character, can be tied in with the owl; rabbits are also associated with the moon, nighttime, and Mother Earth. Shark/VMS-sama fits eerily well too... ^^

Consider myself beyond surprised to find out that sharks have symbolism descriptions also... OvO

QuoteWow, that is a good point...I knew copper was useful, and silver had very good conductivity and antibacterial properties; but I never realized that gold was so...useless. I must say, this is very appropriate!

If you're out in space, gold can help you from getting burned up by the sun.  But if you're out in the aforementioned deserted island, you'd better pray it's gold PLATED instead.  ^>^;

And if you've ever wondered how I've managed to come up with stuff like this, you need only look to yourself. The same goes for Aurora, Siya, Nejin, Techno, anybody and everybody who has been kind enough to look at my work and offer their own thoughts. When I came here I wasn't anything...I could barely scratch out a picture. I had no style to call my own, I could only look around me and learn. Artistically speaking, you guys made me everything I am today; and you should be very proud of what you've built. I could never take all the credit for what I've done.

I never expected to get this far, either. Maybe I realized I could...but I know I couldn't have without your support, without the support of everybody here.

Thank you too for such kind words, Bella-hime.  My raison d'etre. ^__^

I still haven't tired from saying this all week, but while you've done so much to make me a very happy pig, it makes me happier to note that I was able to respond in kind.  ^^

QuoteHere's a Gurren Laggan parody picture with Amiga-sama cosplaying as Yoko, and Vi-kun as Simon. And...some random mole-pig hiding out on Miggy.

I can be random!  And I can be a mole-pig!  ^V^

*becomes random, mole-pig*

*inserts self on Amiga-tan*

Aaaaaaaaaaaah~!!  This is bliss~!!!!!  ^_______________________^

*lies back and loses self*

Still can't believe you got this done, so quickly, but then you've been nothing but specatcular lately.  ^^
Miggy-chan is adorable and oh so faithful to her original self!  (although I couldn't tell that was her hat in her hand for a while).  All the proportions are spot on perfect too, although given the disparity in height I believe Vi-kun should be just a tad smaller.  ^^

Grade A Stuff!  ^v^

This was a random drawing...I got to thinking, hey...when the going gets though for Massachusettsans, and they need a break, they instinctively flock to one of two places. Either a) New Hampshire, or b) The Cape (that's Cape Cod to you non-New Englanders). Could the same be said for Mass. OS-tans? Yes, it's DEC-tans on their day off, hanging at the beach. Right to left is an angry VMS-sama (geomancing some water out of the ground), a young Ultrix-tan ("admiring" RT11-tan's sand castle), RT11-tan (trying to build a sand castle-- things never did work out very well for her), RSTS-tan (I always thought of her as the stocky, muscular type...I don't know if I captured that in this drawing), Tenex-tan (being the friendly type she is, helping RT11-tan), and Red-kun, who just dumped a bucket of water on his Commanding Officer and is now facing a lot of wrath.

THIS is what qualifies as a RANDOM DRAWING for you, these days?!!!! @v@
That means that if you really took your time on a single drawing, it would appear on the Louvre or [at the very least] the New York MET the next day.  Again, either you got a lot of experience drawing all those comics, are you're a definite master of sketchwork as well.  ^__^

It's a funny-as-hell scene, despite the fact that half the characters shown are dry as ice (but guess that makes it even funnier).  ^__^

RT11-chan (=Nodoka incarnate), the young Ultrix-chan and VMS-sama certainly take the cake for cutest.  ^__^
(probably would award it to VMS-sama anyway, since I absolutely dig that hair).  ^^

True, RSTS-tan's body doesn't really capture that description, but it is a quick sketch so you can't really be held for that.  The overall sketch is short sweet and to the point, and also a great showcase for more DEC-tans. ^^

Most of the established CIOST members. I was going to do (actually started) a vector sketch of this one. It was to be very quickly draw and shaded-- almost like a screencap from an anime, but my inspiration told me otherwise. >___<

Right to left clockwise, TRON, EPOC, Red, VxWorks, Ununium, NeXTSTEP, FreeVMS, GECOS, OpenVMS, eCOS, Primos, BeOS and ISMAI-tan.

GYAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!  This deserves a good ol' fashioned EXPLODING for ol' times sake.  ^___^

*C-chan drinks up a gallon of nitroglycerin and swallows lighted match*

Ow~!  >v<
Was that REALLY nitroglycerin?  @@'

No matter, end result is the same.... this sketchwork is GAWDLY!!!!!!!  ^^

I'm not sure if it's because of the greater number of characters, or the greater number of characters that I'm more familiar with, but I definitely agree wholeheartedly that this one is my favorite.  Interesting how it does offer a kind of "Before and After" look of VMS-sama's life, from lowly commanding officer of the DEC family, to badass leader of OS-tan renegades.  ^^

I'm at a loss for words,... well no, au contraire, I have TOO many words to offer and very little time to do so.  This is one picture, I feel, greatly deserves the light of day, and I'll do everything in my limited power to help it get there!  ^0^

As for favorites,... hard to say, cause I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!!  (well, the girls anyway... ^^)
Even the Old Crone manages to be cute somehow, although I guess UUU-chan does charm me with her lol-worthy post, if anything because it's a HUGE contrast from her combat form.  ^^'

*insert epic swoonage here*

Quote(Finished?) Plan 9-sama, NetBSD and Inferno-chan picture.

Well, Plan9-sama's hair was still left with a slight tinge of cyan, but definitely glad you took care of my suggestion of returning her natural skin color (since there is no longer any strong light source).  And the shading on the bunnies is done in such a way that it blends in with the scene, yet still somehow manages to be whimsical!  ^.^

I think I could safely say "That's a Wrap!!".  ^v^

(Finished?) Technically a collaboration between C-Chan, Aurora and I, but I'll post it here for the sake of just posting it at all. I finally got around to making a background and adding some more detail...those bubbles were raided from Miggy-sama's bouquet.

Someone pinch me!  I can't believe you managed to do so many drawings!!  @v@

Same with this one to, I think we can call it a day and job well done.  ^^
Very glad that bouquet served some use besides just using up valuable file size space. ^__^

Thank you again for working hard on these. ^v^

In part I should be ashamed of myself for not creating an equally-massive art explosion.  On the other hand, it just highlights the disparity in skill.

When it comes to skills that matter (=getting things done), both Bella-hime and Aurora-hime can run rings around me, and that's how I want it to be.  

I told Pitkin and Tsubashi one time that I would leave the forum when I could finally slip out of it with the confidence of knowing that it would remain the busy, bustling hive of activity for as long as it physically lasts.  Without realizing it, the day had come and passed.  ^^

Bella

QuoteYo Bella-hime. ^^
In my usual "wallowing in suckage" self, I regret to say I won't be able to reply to this thread in full just yet. Getting pretty tired, and I'm hoping to conserve my strength for tomorrow -- what little time I have left, I want to use drawing some BSDs... and if possible, a very special chibi set. ^__^

It may be to late, but did you consider using that first vector sketch of FreeB-chan in the BSD picture? And this chibi set interests me...

Quote1) The "Final-ish" drawing of your epic picture looks phenomenal!! Nearly every point i brought up you addressed in some way, and clear makes the image even deeper and richer like royal velvet. Anything that's still left to be done is insignificant at this point. ^^

2) While Inkscape cannot directly perform a gradient blur, there is a way to imitate such depth perception. I've only done it once using the below tutorial, but the results were very promising... .^^

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.45-depthoffield.png

I'll probably let this drawing stand as is, I think I'm finally happy with it. That tutorial showing how to do imitate a gradient blur seems very helpful...

Quote3) REAL parsley suiciders don't do it sideways or up-and-down. Instead, we POKE our wrists with the tip of the stem like so... *demonstrates* ...like Chinese water torture. Learn from the best, kid. `v'

Seriously, though, you forget one thing. I don't doubt my idea sounds great on paper, but the sad reality is that I never would have done it. I can't stand that I'm leaving soon and so many great ideas will leave with me only because I've lost, not only my will, but also my stamiina. Maybe you could say I'm not as young as I used to be.... *bones creek*. -v-

So don't be said -- be happy that you fulfilled an old pig his wish. ^^

4) In that tone, yes I'm more than proud of who you are and what you become. You say I'm your Constant (from the siggy), but you've surpassed me a LONG time ago. I'm glad to tears that you say you will miss me, but I hope and pray that you won't ever need me. Let the brilliance of your own evolution of your talent be your driving force from here on -- anything else, including my Wall-O-Text praise and swoonage are simply icing on the cake.

I sort of realized that you woulnd't have drawn that picture, but this knowledge still doesn't make it better for me. At any rate, it's incredible that you've managed to stay around this long after you've lost your will; usually, the first hot minute that I lose my will in anything I give up, which has been the case with most of my past artistic hobbies. Though...most of my past artistic hobbies were between me, myself and I with almost no reliance on the inspiration of other people, so this situation is very different. They were more stable, but that almost made them much duller in a way. ^^

And when I said, you should be proud, I meant you should be proud of yourself... I can only take part of the credit for what I've done. I sort of hate to saying it because it sounds so silly...but I almost feel like a sort of "power mimic" at this point. Nearly everybody here has contributed to making my artwork what it is today, and I truly thank you, Aurora, Siya, and a dozen others for this. I know I can't generate my own inspiration all that easily; even in the past when I could, the eventual feeling that I was talking to a wall sapped it. In being here, I've gone from an audience of one to an audience of several, and even that seems like a step up.

QuoteBella-hime must have clones of herself. Or she found the REAL C-One and is delegating the sketchwork... ^v^

*faints*

No, nothing as exotic as a clone or an android...no, I just have a very strange management of time...

...And one can get a lot done when they're having a very slow week, it's pouring buckets outside, and getting dark at 4 o'clock.

QuoteI'll join the club!! Do you want me to PM you the links for all my OS-tans on dA or do you want to wade through for them, yourself?

Thank you! Just send me a note and we can work something out.

I could always just pick out some drawings (or you can send me some of your favorites), and upload them to a section of the club gallery (named "Siya"). I'm not entirely sure that's how all clubs work, but then again I don't think anybody does. ^^;

QuoteReally?! I wish I could have seen it! D: It's always horrible to lose a project you're working on.

I could always use help finishing up my concepts, but never feel obliged to do it! It wouldn't be fair if my laziness in a hobby became a burden to others. ^^;

It was only, like, an hour and a half's work, but it's still so infuriating when you lose your work >__<

And it's no problem...you've come up with a lot of great ideas, I wouldn't mind helping out with finishing some of them (still thinking of SAGE-sama).

QuoteIf you like, here's a page I found which explains what it means to have a Penguin totem. I stumbled upon a website that has a list of animal totems... Some of them seem a bit odd.

Hmmm...that's kind of interesting. I've never been able to find any meaning behind penguins, so this is a step in the right direction.

QuoteI've never seen Gurren Laggan, myself. However, I've seen so much fanart of it by now that I feel I already know all the main characters. Excellent cosplaying! ^^

Yeah, I knew all the main characters before I saw it, too. :P

Really is worth a watch, though, if you like mecha shows (or Gainax).

QuoteI love how you can manage to throw large groups of characters together so well and have them all so comically active! I don't even try...

Group shots are pretty easy for me to draw...they're a bit more difficult to color, though.

QuoteI know you've posted your progress on this and it has been coming along rather well. I really enjoy the floating bunnies....and toaster.......and volcano.

QuoteThe collaboration is wonderful! Great job to all involved! ^^

Thank you!

QuoteHere's a quick maintenance response to Bella-hime's bonus art. ^^
Admittedly I'm having trouble finalzing the BSD-tan pictures, so I may not be able to post them here tomorrow afterall. Instead, I'd like to aim for their deployment in her new DeviantArt page. ^^

That way, tomorrow [well, actually today...] I can work on creating one last picture which I think serves as a more appropriate farewell gift. It'll be a chibi one -- the art style that, for better or for worse, helped build my name in this place.

I guess we'll be seeing you around DA, then.

And I'm really interested in these chibis...

QuoteFufufu... admittedly, the clip stuff did kill me a bit with the Plan9-sama pic. Not necessarily because it's bad (although it does limit slight adjustments a little), but because it was different from what I was used to. Still, I think I managed well enough. ^^

Similarly, the highlighting stuff was a bit difficult for me to do with NetBSD-tan's spacesuit...

QuoteWell as long as Multics-sama is open sauced now, we may yet have the opportunity to see that in action someday. ^^

All i know is that such a meeting would most certainly be a mixture of sappiness and lolziness. -v-

I've always wanted to do a sketch of a would-be open sourced Multics-sama...maybe I should go for it.

QuoteFUFUFU~!!! An epiphany!!! ^v^

Sieze the day, you Bella-hime! ^___^

Make your own Mukluk boots if at all possible! ^.^

No but seriously, that's fantastic to hear. Wheneve your body insists on doing something creative, let it. That's how greatness is formed -- on the spur of the moment. ^___^

And most of the things I came up with were consistently...nice. I even showed the sketches to a few other people, they like them. @@

QuoteConsider myself beyond surprised to find out that sharks have symbolism descriptions also... OvO

Sharks actually have a lot of symbolism...

QuoteAbility to Move Constantly, Remorselessness, Never Being Caught Off Guard, Ability to Defend Oneself, Hunter, Survival, Adaptability

Sharks can be symbolic of persistence and perseverance. In the novel A Canticle for Leibowitz, for example, a shark is shown as one of the few surviving life forms after the second nuclear holocaust, and it is made clear that it will survive and continue to exist even beyond this disaster. In a more modern context sharks remain essentially unchanged since they evolved over 350 million years ago.

...Keep in mind that due to it's unmatched clustering features, VMS is considered to be a (physical) "disaster-proof" OS-- if one server is in danger of going offline (by say a power outage or worse) the data can be easily moved to another sever. Seems a good analogy for VMS-sama's need to stay on the move...

QuoteThank you too for such kind words, Bella-hime. My raison d'etre. ^__^

I still haven't tired from saying this all week, but while you've done so much to make me a very happy pig, it makes me happier to note that I was able to respond in kind. ^^

No, thank you for such kind words.

(Why do I remember this as the second thank-you standoff we've had?)

QuoteI can be random! And I can be a mole-pig! ^V^

*becomes random, mole-pig*

*inserts self on Amiga-tan*

Aaaaaaaaaaaah~!! This is bliss~!!!!! ^_______________________^

*lies back and loses self*

Still can't believe you got this done, so quickly, but then you've been nothing but specatcular lately. ^^
Miggy-chan is adorable and oh so faithful to her original self! (although I couldn't tell that was her hat in her hand for a while). All the proportions are spot on perfect too, although given the disparity in height I believe Vi-kun should be just a tad smaller. ^^

Grade A Stuff! ^v^

Actually, those are supposed to be sunglasses in her hand. And I always thought Vi-kun would be around the high 4' range, and isn't Miggy around 6' tall?

QuoteTHIS is what qualifies as a RANDOM DRAWING for you, these days?!!!! @v@
That means that if you really took your time on a single drawing, it would appear on the Louvre or [at the very least] the New York MET the next day. Again, either you got a lot of experience drawing all those comics, are you're a definite master of sketchwork as well. ^__^

It's a funny-as-hell scene, despite the fact that half the characters shown are dry as ice (but guess that makes it even funnier). ^__^

RT11-chan (=Nodoka incarnate), the young Ultrix-chan and VMS-sama certainly take the cake for cutest. ^__^
(probably would award it to VMS-sama anyway, since I absolutely dig that hair). ^^

True, RSTS-tan's body doesn't really capture that description, but it is a quick sketch so you can't really be held for that. The overall sketch is short sweet and to the point, and also a great showcase for more DEC-tans. ^^

Thanks! I tried adding more DEC-tans but it didn't work, and decided to leave well enough alone.

QuoteGYAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! This deserves a good ol' fashioned EXPLODING for ol' times sake. ^___^

*C-chan drinks up a gallon of nitroglycerin and swallows lighted match*

Ow~! >v<
Was that REALLY nitroglycerin? @@'

No matter, end result is the same.... this sketchwork is GAWDLY!!!!!!! ^^

I'm not sure if it's because of the greater number of characters, or the greater number of characters that I'm more familiar with, but I definitely agree wholeheartedly that this one is my favorite. Interesting how it does offer a kind of "Before and After" look of VMS-sama's life, from lowly commanding officer of the DEC family, to badass leader of OS-tan renegades. ^^

I'm at a loss for words,... well no, au contraire, I have TOO many words to offer and very little time to do so. This is one picture, I feel, greatly deserves the light of day, and I'll do everything in my limited power to help it get there! ^0^

As for favorites,... hard to say, cause I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!! (well, the girls anyway... ^^)
Even the Old Crone manages to be cute somehow, although I guess UUU-chan does charm me with her lol-worthy post, if anything because it's a HUGE contrast from her combat form. ^^'

*insert epic swoonage here*

*puts C-Chan fire out with blanket*

It was mostly the thought of shading this whole picture that scared me...maybe I can work on it, though, a little at a time. Thanks for the encouragement, though!

QuoteWell, Plan9-sama's hair was still left with a slight tinge of cyan, but definitely glad you took care of my suggestion of returning her natural skin color (since there is no longer any strong light source). And the shading on the bunnies is done in such a way that it blends in with the scene, yet still somehow manages to be whimsical! ^.^

I think I could safely say "That's a Wrap!!". ^v^

Yeah, I wasn't sure about her hair...but I actually kinda like it.

QuoteSomeone pinch me! I can't believe you managed to do so many drawings!! @v@

Same with this one to, I think we can call it a day and job well done. ^^
Very glad that bouquet served some use besides just using up valuable file size space. ^__^

Thank you again for working hard on these. ^v^

In part I should be ashamed of myself for not creating an equally-massive art explosion. On the other hand, it just highlights the disparity in skill.

When it comes to skills that matter (=getting things done), both Bella-hime and Aurora-hime can run rings around me, and that's how I want it to be.

I told Pitkin and Tsubashi one time that I would leave the forum when I could finally slip out of it with the confidence of knowing that it would remain the busy, bustling hive of activity for as long as it physically lasts. Without realizing it, the day had come and passed. ^^

Don't be sad you couldn't get a lot of artwork done. Like I said before, it all comes down to time; this was sort of the perfect week to get a lot of work done, as the weather's been terrible and I ended up with an unusually blank schedule...I can't expect you to have had the same luxury.

Plus a lot of it was merely getting things finished...a half hour on the USG picture, 45 minutes on the Miggy/Me-tan picture, and so on and so forth. I've always had a philosophy of working on many things done at once, one small bit at a time... that's just how I am.

And yes, I do believe you're right about the forum. It was probably a pipe-dream to think that it would end up a bustling hive of activity...can you name a time when it was ever really like this? You have to be glad with the activity there is. Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've always been happy for what there was.

You shouldn't be sad because something's over; you should be happy because it happened.

Aurora Borealis

Gurren Lagann cosplay pic: Ahahaha! Cute! For some reason, Amiga-sama seems well-suited as Yoko and I really like look on Vi-kun's face, but what is he looking at?...

DEC family at the beach pic: It has the two main qualities of an OS-tan family picture: Cuteness and shenanigans! Tenex-san and RT-11-san working on the sand castle is very cute, and so is Ultrix-san! RSTS-san simply looks very cool, and VMS-sama angrily chasing after Red-kun with mad geomancy skills is hilarious!

CIOST pic: Can't wait to see it vectorized! :D I notice that GECOS-san is keeping to herself, and eCOS-tan and FreeVMS-chan are right by their idol Open VMS-sama! BeOS-tan and IMSAI 8080-tan are together, very cute! NeXTSTEP-tan with Unununium-tan is very very cute! I don't know what VxWorks-tan is doing in that picture but whatever it is, is cool!

USG pic, in its finished glory: I downloaded the last SVG of this picture and studied how the background was done. Very impressive! I was surprised how simply and efficiently it was done!

Miggy + ME gala dress: Beautiful! The added frills, background and new bouquet are great additions! However I just have one critique- the sunburst should be in the upper right to go with the shading+highlighting.