If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Oh well, guess you just want the thrill of creating something from scratch.  Can't really blame you -- it's freakin' fun.  ^^

Just ask these fellas,....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharpOS_(operating_system)

Who thought it would be cool to create an operating system in C#.  Bella even made an OS-tan for her (although of course, it's in the Gallery... -.-').

Well,... have fun then, and don't get into trouble now, ya hear?  ^^

Odin Yggdrasil

Doesn't matter to me if Microsoft raises problems or not. I've got nothing to lose, unless they want a few boxes full of vintage hardware.

Plus Linux itself was born from Unix by the same methods that would be used to form this hybrid, as long as you never saw the source to Windows and programmed it to behave like windows to the best of your knowledge there wouldn't even be a violation of the terms of service for either one- provided you released your resulting source code to comply with GNU.

C-Chan

Unless you're a friendless orphan, it's kind of a fallacy to say you have nothing to lose.  Even if you don't care what happens to you personally, there's bound to be someone you know (friend or family) who might suffer collaterally from legal action taken against you.

I understand you're reasoning behind this, and certainly Linus did intend to create a Unix clone.  That's also the reason why projects like Wine, Samba and ReactOS can stay alive -- because the developers are recreating the functionality of Windows (and its interaction with the software) without embedding actual Windows technology, or recreating some of its code.  But as you know, that hasn't stopped M$ from trying to raise a fuss about its intellectual property, no matter how baseless:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

Certainly if you live outside the US or from any jurisdiction that recognizes software patents, you might be in a safer standing.  

Regardless, though, it's absolutely paramount that you always keep issues of legality firmly in mind.  The "Free as in Beer and Speech" perception of F/OSS often clouds the fact that it's developers are some of the most law-abiding and professional people/entities/corporations I've ever worked with.  

Licenses like the GNU General Public License v2 and 3 are there to protect your rights, but also there to make sure you don't start inadvertently fishing for trouble (a la Mono and Moonlight).

Course, don't let me dampen your spirits -- keeping hobbies is a good thing, and besides that I don't know how long you've been using Linux.   For all I know, you could have been at this for years and I'm barking up the wrong tree.

But just out of curiosity, have you ever read this link before?

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

NejinOniwa

QuoteCertainly if you live outside the US or from any jurisdiction that recognizes software patents, you might be in a safer standing.
Ninja Pirate, away! *swoosh*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Odin Yggdrasil

Thing is, Microsoft has been ripping off Mac, Unix, and Linux for years. For instance, IE7 implemented the same kinds of features that were pioneered with Firefox and Vista's file browsing is almost identical to that of Red Hat 9 Linux, written years ahead.

In fact if you look at Vista's wiki, apparently parts of Vista are even based on Unix itself. If it was Linux they used I think someone ought to remind Microsoft how GNU works and force them to release the sources they used and modified like Linksys had to do when the use of a Linux-based firmware on their routers was discovered.

Thus we might actually get some help from Microsoft themselves, while at the same time they won't be liking it if all of a sudden my favorite MMO and lots of other programs that right now are for Windows only no longer need to be run on Windows.

C-Chan

QuoteThing is, Microsoft has been ripping off Mac, Unix, and Linux for years. For instance, IE7 implemented the same kinds of features that were pioneered with Firefox and Vista's file browsing is almost identical to that of Red Hat 9 Linux, written years ahead.

In fact if you look at Vista's wiki, apparently parts of Vista are even based on Unix itself. If it was Linux they used I think someone ought to remind Microsoft how GNU works and force them to release the sources they used and modified like Linksys had to do when the use of a Linux-based firmware on their routers was discovered.

BWAHAHA!!  ^v^
Ahhhh, this guy is SO cute, I could put a freakin' bow on him.  ^.^

*pats Odin on the head*

It's one thing invoking Moral Authority to get people to follow the rules, but it's quite another thing actually ENFORCING that the rules be followed.  ISO was supposed to have followed their own rules and kicked OOXML ratification the hell out of the FastTrack vote -- but in reality they were quite bribable.  ^.^;

But I guess we do need more people who don't mind standing up to a company who's Market Capitalization currently stands at $239,670,000,000USD.

All I can say to that is:  Go Get'Em Tiger!  W00t!!!  ^v^

Oh, and...

Requiescat in pace.  /v\

*staggers off to bunker to take cover*

Odin Yggdrasil

Indeed, it all comes down to money. Linux never really makes serious dough, so she never really gets the market share or attention that I think she could handle. Plus because Linux by itself does lack a lot of the user-friendlyness that Windows has to have in order to survive, it would need to have that addressed as well before it could seriously replace Windows.

But really, if you follow the story of Microsoft, this whole time they've been making fortunes on stuff they basically stole from others. Which means, there isn't much reason that someone like me who doesn't have a whole lot to lose can't borrow a few things back from them and return them to where they rightfully belong.

Though really if I was to go all the way, it would be Unix that got 1:1 windows compatibility, not Linux.

Dr. Mario

Okay, I'm back, finally. But I only have a 32-bit Dell Pentium 4 Precott (Optiplex GX820) - that sucks now that I can't run the test on the 64-bit programs but I still can compile them, I currently use Flat Assembler (FASM) to create the OS instructions and core software.

Also, I figure in the horizon, there will be the x86 CPUs using exactly the same technology as the CELL Broadband Engine architecture (used in PS3's CPU), so I grabbed the CELL Broadband Engine programming manual, just to be ready for this one. (I know what to do with PowerPC codes now, I just select the x86 GPR that matches exactly the same as the PowerPC GPR that I'm looking at.) so GreenOmega OS might have additional future CPU instruction sets that may be used by the new x86 CPUs.

And, I also decided to do second set of GreenOmega OS, GO32 (32-bit OS) with the same hardware support as what I mentioned - like using x86 CELL BE CPU, running in 32-bit Protected Mode instead of 64-bit Long Mode.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Dr. Mario

Finally, got another motherboard and Athlon 64 processor!
- however, over time, I slowly learnt that developing an OS isn't a cakewalk - it's closer to impossible, like not able to get the driver you needs - my frustration is one example - I have been looking for the driver source code for Rambus XDR memory controller in the x86 processor chip (I just want it to be able to boot up on this CPU)
I'm not giving up, though. I will have to pore the datasheets.

NejinOniwa

Patience, the doctor has it.
Maybe a bit too much. ^^ Ganbare~
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

My god, theres this thread and i've just seen it now?

Anyway, i'd love to help out but i've only programmed Delphi and by the time i've learned the language i actually want to learn, we're 4 years further... granted, if all goes well i should be able to build OSes and drivers by then, and i'll probably start working on an OS by then, but i guess that -according to some quick calculations- i'll finish by the time i'll retire or something like that...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Agreed. Although, I don't know too much about Delphi, I have been using Flat Assembler for OS core and I have just plunged my head into C++ for Higher level of GreenOmega OS, like GUI and command engine (AND for the multicore CPU too)
I have been trying to put XDR DRAM activation codes into kernel, according to whitepaper - however, I get error in FASM everytime it runs across memory interface driver.

It just frustrates me... ×_×

Added after 8 hours 31 minutes:

BTW, I finally found the CELL BE whitepaper, containing the memory (XDR) driver codes (I would thank IBM and Rambus for doing that) so I'm satisified with processor part of kernel. Now, hmm. What to do next?

Smokey

o_o  ;013  ;015
Where have you learned Assembler?!
That's the language i wanna learn!!
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Alright, Smokey.

Here's the link: www.flatassembler.net

However, the guide is always bundled up with FASM. you can look at example or forum for more informations.

Smokey

Thanks...

Soon (i use the term "soon" loosely) i will have the power to build my own 8-bit microcomputer with everything, from the instruction set to the -rudimentary- OS programmed by ME!!! ;006

Mwuahahahahaaaarrhh!!! ;006

*Makes a dramatic exit to find among others, a i4004 microprocessor and other neccesary hardware*

Added after 1 hours 10 minutes:

Hmm make that an i8086 microprocessor...
But maybe i will be able to build a ~500-900Khz microcomputer with a couple of kiloword of usable user memory...

Epic project awayyy!!!
Thanks Fedora-sama