The OS-Tan Art Improvement Thread!

Started by NejinOniwa, June 11, 2008, 04:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

I'll see if I can do something (good) about it, Bella-san.

Capslock, I'm not really agreeing with you there. In my opinion it's more like taking an EEE and building a more powerful Atom-powered ULPC from its concept. The EEE has limited hardware, but a wonderful concept; with better hardware upon this concept, the end product can be improved. I can agree with you that my "improvement" wasn't the smoothest one either, but that's solely due to my (questionable?) skill and inexperience in handling the materials I have.
I mean, seriously. How many people out there do you think make vectors, wallpapers, crops and edits, et cetera, editing and building as they wish, improving the image from the original concept?
That's a lot many, I tell you. And except for the occasional shout at poor results - and if you were to yell at me for this here, I wouldn't protest that much - there's no whining heard from the original creators. The SOS-Dan imageboard for example. MANY MANY a wallpaper, vector, refurbish or improvement in other ways, but not a single complaint what I've seen.

Cheer up, mate, and get loose of the deadlock!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

SleepyD

huho~ interesting debate here.

I'd have to side with the captain with a few additional qualifications:

A person who puts his/her artistic works on the internet must be aware that he/she can't really control how it spreads, if it spreads at all.
If that happens, the artist must be prepared to either defend his/her own copyright or be prepared to just let it go.  Each choice has it's own advantages and disadvantages to the artist.

Still, most artists post their art online when they are satisfied of their work, and believe that it is more or less completed, unless there's reason to believe otherwise.
Having someone change the art is more or less a slap in the face saying "you suck." And maybe it does, but the artist felt it was done.  There are works of mine that I thought were great back then, but now look horrible to me.  This isn't a legal barrier in any sense at all, it's really just the principle of it all.  There's no respect.  Now, very substantial edits to an original work can actually be a good thing.  Kinda like, "you've inspired me to do this Artist Guy," instead of "Artist Guy, you should have done it this way! MY way!" Although there is no black and white here.

Now there is such a thing as collaboration art, where two (or more) artists work on a piece.  Usually, from my experience it's artist1 => lineart, artist2 => color.  In that case, small edits to each others work can occur, and things like Nejin's edit still keeps the essence of the original work. I don't think there would be a problem, since both artists are aware of each other's work and respect each others work (I hope).

My personal opinion on the 2K-tan thing?
I particularly like the original style, but I see you didn't like the pixels.  So I must object to that, but to each his own. It's drawn in an oekaki style. It's a doodle (oekaki = doodle). Sure, some people can do amazing things with oekaki given enough time, but most people don't spend more than a few hours tops.  There's no desire to go get a better program and improve upon it.  You open the applet in your web browser, finish it in one go, and you're done.  It's a sort of skill and a wonder to see how well people can do with simple tools.  Actually, it's kinda like the Tegaki E thing that people are getting into recently. (Does that thing even have an eraser? good gawd.)

With regards to image edits in general, I see more edits on screenshots, official art, and wallpapers than anything else.  These, I think are fine, since they're supposed to be spread around the general public anyway, with little repercussions to the original artist. It's when it comes to individual, amateur artists and editing their completed work (one that someone invested a lot of time in) that I see bit of a problem.  Although artists must recognize it's inevitable on the internet, particularly if you're popular in some way.  If so, they should learn to accept it.

So yeah.  "I disagree, but you do have a point" kinda thing Nejin.

C-Chan

Well I think you've already had your earful of reprimands for one day, so no need to add more than I've already done above.  'Fice to say, you're willing to learn from your mistakes and move on, and I thank you for your understanding in this very sensitive manner.  

Just as an FYI, the EeePC is not the best example in the world, since Asus really wouldn't care less about private hardware enhancements, and I'm sure could even find grounds to sue you if you sold models with unauthorized modifications.  Often times improvements are not desired so much as control of one's presumed "intellectual property".  

On a genkier note, I've very happy to see that you're a man of your word and did in fact improve the Wii-tan picture.  If RenRen were around today, I'm sure he'd be happy that more people were interested in his design.  Not sure how much you've practiced after FOSA, but it does seem you've done a lot better with shading.  Hopefully you'll learn enough to teach me a thing or two about GIMP -- quite frankly, I can't get used to that program (prefer Krita).  :D

In any event, I'm a teacher first and foremost before I'm an artist.  If you're still interested in practicing image improvements, I've just SAUCED a whole bunch of my old scrap art (and some not-so-scrap art) over in the SVG gallery.  The latest can be found here:

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=111

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=112

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=113

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=114

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=115

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=116

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=117

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=118

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=119

Even though you're not comfortable with vector graphics, you should still use the SAUCE files to reexport the images to much larger PNG files -- that should make modifications in GIMP significantly easier.

Don't worry so much about me, as I'm not adverse to making my work transparent to anyone willing to learn.  In fact, when posting these, all I see are a never-ending stream of broken promises -- while that makes me very depressed at my own inadequacy, it's also a bit therapeutic too.

Perhaps my promises will see the light of day, however late,....  -v-

Aurora Borealis

Thai dress ME-tan revision complete! (although I still cannot draw braids, even after looking at many reference pictures >__<)

C-Chan

Why thank you Aurora-hime!  ^v^
It's amazing how much a little shading and lighting can work wonders on a crappy vector sketch -- indeed, she looks "new and improved".  ^^

Incidentally, Darknight said earlier that he may have lost the work he did on this earlier.  Might not be the same thing, but I did find his old suggestion pic in the original thread:

Darknight_88

NejinOniwa

2 things.
First, Inkscape's built-in export function doesn't work when you use its GUI. Meh?

Second, when I opened the Export window, the path in the field was either a /home/ path, or a C:\Dox\Ren-Chan\ path, so I guess .svg's store their location in their info too, do they?

Anyway. I'll pass on the animations, I think, but the rest are safe and ready down in \COMPILE\, so I'll get on them asap. Then again, I've got some packing to do today, and I'll be gone over the weekend, so that might not be very fast anyway - but still.

(Also, the EEE example was a bit clumsily put forward. I need to get better in making others understand me.)

Bella

I forgot to comment on your Wii-tan modification, Nejin--nice job! After seeing this, I'm sure you can really do some incredible stuff with drawings that would otherwise be shuffled under the rug and forgotten...

As for the ME-tan...wonderful, Aurora! I always liked that vector sketch, and you've really spruced it up. I have found that braids are pretty easy to make; here's a tutorial from DeviantArt:

http://fc02.deviantart.com/images2/i/2004/07/8/6/Braid_tutorial.jpg

It's basically cross-hatching.

QuoteIn any event, I'm a teacher first and foremost before I'm an artist. If you're still interested in practicing image improvements, I've just SAUCED a whole bunch of my old scrap art (and some not-so-scrap art) over in the SVG gallery. The latest can be found here:

Oooh, I'm already working on Amiga-sama in that ME-tan/Miggy ballroom gown picture...

Quote2 things.
First, Inkscape's built-in export function doesn't work when you use its GUI. Meh?

Second, when I opened the Export window, the path in the field was either a /home/ path, or a C:\Dox\Ren-Chan\ path, so I guess .svg's store their location in their info too, do they?

It works fine for me...but it will save any exports and/or files in a default Inkscape folder deep in your hardrive if you don't specify a different folder. Go file>export bitmap> then assuming the bitmap export window comes up, click browse> then when the select a file for exporting window comes up, click recently used folders on the left hand side. Choose one of your folders where you want to save the images, and it'll export there.

Aurora Borealis

Revised version of the Linspire + Freespire 4-Koma. Added shading, gradients in Linspire-tan's and Freespire-tan's hair, got rid of black strokes around eyes and retouched a few details.

Bella

QuoteRevised version of the Linspire + Freespire 4-Koma. Added shading, gradients in Linspire-tan's and Freespire-tan's hair, got rid of black strokes around eyes and retouched a few details.

O...M...G...

I am new at this "worshiping" thing, at least worshiping mere mortals. But here goes nothing!

*worships and grovels at Aurora-sama*

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I've always loved this 4 koma vector sketch, I am so happy to see it finished! While all the characters looked great before, you have put the icing on the cake! While I'm no huge fan of Linspire or Freespire-tan, they are looking beautiful! Excellent job!

C-Chan

QuoteRevised version of the Linspire + Freespire 4-Koma. Added shading, gradients in Linspire-tan's and Freespire-tan's hair, got rid of black strokes around eyes and retouched a few details.

@.@

*leaps up with gratitude*

AURORA-HIME!!!! MARRY ME!!!!!!!!  ^V^

*goes off trajectory slightly and hits wall*

But seriously, I can die in peace now.  ^___^
Thank you Aurora-hime for fixing up this old raggedy thing.  I certainly LOVE how you fixed up Lin-chan and Free-chan's hair!  ^.^

Speaking of which, do you plan to upload this to your own gallery?  Since you finished it for me, it's only right that you post it up in your portfolio.  I usually just label them as "collaborative works". ^^

Bella

How strange...I just saw an online marriage proposal at this other forum I visited :P

But no! You can't marry Aurora! This could interfere with my worshiping her!

*carries Aurora-hime off on thrown*

NejinOniwa

SOMEONE! HOLD THE PIGGY, HE CAN'T CONTROL HIMSELF ANYMORE!!!
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-HOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!! *gears up for massive body-slam*