Bitplane Amiga Magazine Italia Interview to Bella and C-Chan

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, June 01, 2008, 06:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Surprise...  ;010

Now that AROS-Kitty Chan is already finished and has got a very definitive look, I can extend the interview to Bella too...

Please answer my questions here in this thread...

(I anticipated some greetings because I already know that C-Chan is working to a Linux development project)

(If someone has ideas or suggestions, is welcome to comment it)

What is an OS-TAN?

An OS-TAN is a mascotte. Visually speaking it is  the personification as beautiful manga girl of an operating system... etc.

[Insert informations about OS-TANS here], how the phenomenon was born, etc...

Any people could realize OS-TANS if he has enough artistic talent. OS-TANS are sort of Open Source. There is only one rule. Any painter, any artist should follow the original artistic guidelines of the first one who realized an OS-TAN. The original design is predatory. He/she who came first and realizes a complete design of an OS-TAN then this design should be used by all artists who came second.

[Insert apart a window about curiosities about OS-Tans... memory, appetite, etc...]

Blah, blah, blah...

[pictures]

Despite of the fact we all amigans consider Amy the Squirrel from Eric Schwartz our beloved historical mascotte, [Amy the squirrel picture] it exists also an OS-TAN for the AmigaOS and her name is Amiga-Sama (in japanese language "sama" it is an honorific suffix that means literally "Lady Amiga") [Amiga-Sama picture], and a mascotte for AROS too [AROS-Kitty and AROS_Kitty Chan pictures]. Her name is Aros-Kitty-Chan and it has been realized by C-Chan from a sketch design of Bella. Both artists are resident at ostan-collection.net site.

The author of AROS-Kitty-Chan (a manga version of original AROS-Kitty Cat drawn by Eric Schwartz), is nicknamed Bella, and author AmigaOS-TAN is a young talented mexican artist whose nickname is C-Chan! Bitplane Magazine reached the two people and they allowed to answer this brief interview:

1) Hello Bella, hello C-Chan, please would you like to introduce you to the amigan users?

2a) Why the nickname Bella?

2b) Where came from the nickname C-chan and the black porky pig avatar? [picture]

3) We know that you both are not Amigan User and you never own an Amiga platform. Where do your interest in Amiga and AROS came from?

4) (To C-Chan) C-Chan? Tell us about Amiga-Sama. Do you have a precise idea of design when youn created her? For example we noticed her eyes have the iris coloured as the rainbow Amiga Checkmark. Is it intentional?

5) Amiga had already Amy the squirrel created by Eric Schwartz as mascotte. Why don't you created a furry Amiga-Sama? Do you ever known of Amy the squirrel before creating Amiga-Sama?

6) (To Bella) Bella? At a certain moment you were informed about AROS, and you spotted AROS Kitty, then you realized first sketch of her.

While Amiga-Sama has its original look design, this time you and C-Chan realized together the OS-TAN starting from Eric design of AROS Kitty Black cat.
Tell us about AROS Kitty-Chan, her design and your ideas about her.

[Aros kitty sketch picture] + [AROS-Kitty from C-Chan picture]

7a) What programs you use to realize the OS-TANS? For example reading some discussions on OSTAN-Colledctons forum We know that C-Chan has a very stgong passion for vector drawing, and you use Open Source program Inkscape as your preferred tool. Is it right?

7b) And you Bella? What are your preffered artisti tools?

8a) We have known of C-Chan and Amiga-Sama from Wikipedia, and sure the info and the pictures about Amiga-Sama gave again the Amiga platform a very little but a significant visibility worldwide, this is important for us Amigans as our platform is actually going through a period of reviving. But recently the article about OS-TANS on Wikipedia was edited and shrinked (Uclaiming reasions of lack of space and unreliability) and any information regarding other OS-Tans except Windows ones, one single Mac-TAN (MacOS-X) were completely wiped off by Wikipedia free writers. Even infos about Linux-TANs were reduced just to some brief notes! Keeping in mind the fact that we got informed of Amiga-Sama just beacuse we read of it on Wikipedia (and without these informations we could never got informed of your interesting and beautiful art), do you feel to make a comment about this sort of censorship Windows-centric? Do you think Windows is becoming a sort of cultural reference excluding all other Operating Systems? Or do you think it is just a matter of ignorance from the writers of articles in Wikipedia? You know that... They are just sort of joung Open-Freelancers who have not historical perspectives of the history of computing?

9) What are your actual interests?

10) Now a question that is very important for our Amigan readers. Do you think you will buy one Amiga machine in the future?

11) If you want to, you can use our magazine, Bitplane, and take the occasion to send greetings to Eric Schwartz (who is also author of AROS Kitty cat mascotte) if you want to salute another artist who is involved with Amiga. Eric is very important for us Amigans, and I believe that he will pleased to know about your art and your tribute of his Aros-Kitty-Cat.

[Greetings to Bella] [Greetings about C-Chan actual jobs in Linux]

12) Bitplane Magazine Italia, the italian Amigans, and all other Amigans worldwide wish to thank both of you for your answers, and we hope we will meet again in the future, maybe when you had had buyed a very brand new Amiga Machine, or instslled final version of AROS.

[Insert apart a window with MorphOS-TAN brief infos, history and pictures]

[Insert here the final greetings by newspaper to readers]
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Bella

Oh wow! I didn't realize you were going to include a few questions for me. Thanks!

Am I supposed to answer 2a), 6), and 7b), or are there others?

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Bella"Oh wow! I didn't realize you were going to include a few questions for me. Thanks!

Am I supposed to answer 2a), 6), and 7b), or are there others?

You can answer also any question that is not marked as specifically yours...

For example what about you and what about your personal interests (3 and 9)...

Hope I made the interview almost professional even in english language... Isn't it?  ;010
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

C-Chan

I'll go ahead and start....  -v-

=========================================

Hello Raffaele-san.
Thanks for setting this up and inviting Bella-hime here too.  I do appreciate that.  ^^

I'm writing this little by little throughout the course of my day, so forgive any drastic changes in writing styles.

QuoteWhat is an OS-TAN?

An OS-TAN is a mascotte. Visually speaking it is the personification as beautiful manga girl of an operating system... etc.

Before we begin, just wondering...
Will this be translated into Italian, left in English, or be bilingual?  If the latter two, I should point out a small spelling error ("mascotte" -> "mascot").

QuoteAny people could realize OS-TANS if he has enough artistic talent. OS-TANS are sort of Open Source. There is only one rule. Any painter, any artist should follow the original artistic guidelines of the first one who realized an OS-TAN. The original design is predatory. He/she who came first and realizes a complete design of an OS-TAN then this design should be used by all artists who came second.

That was somewhat true when the movement first came about, but has grown considerably lax since,... the evidence being in the massive divergence in Windows Vista-tan designs.

In OS-tan Collections, we do apply the original rule (first come, first drawn) as much as possible, but mainly for practical considerations.  Many of the characters we draw are not very well-known, and require a greater degree of volume and diversity than just Windows platforms. It would be counterproductive, for example, to create many variants of MULTICS-tan, when so few people (even within our own forum) care little about her, and the time could be better spent bringing to life a PrimOS-tan, a RSTS-tan, a CTSS-tan, a GECOS-tan, etc, for educational and storyline purposes.

QuoteDespite of the fact we all amigans consider Amy the Squirrel from Eric Schwartz our beloved historical mascotte, [Amy the squirrel picture] it exists also an OS-TAN for the AmigaOS and her name is Amiga-Sama (in japanese language "sama" it is an honorific suffix that means literally "Lady Amiga") [Amiga-Sama picture], and a mascotte for AROS too [AROS-Kitty and AROS_Kitty Chan pictures]. Her name is Aros-Kitty-Chan and it has been realized by C-Chan from a sketch design of Bella. Both artists are resident at ostan-collection.net site.

Well actually it really is just Amiga-tan.  "Amiga-sama" is just a title of endearment cause we like her.  ^^'

Likewise, it's also only AROS-tan.  "AROS-chan" is my own title of endearment, and AROS Kitty specifically refers to her pet cat (and homage to the original AROS mascot).  Might make better sense if I finish that picture I promised you.

It's precisely because of that discrepancy that we do try to separate OS-tans from "mascots".  Opera used to have a super hero as its mascot (Opera Man) and FreeBSD would have its Daemons/Devilettes,... but because OS-tans are specifically "Anime-based", it's almost like "reimagining" the mascots.  Since I consider that just a wee bit disrespectful, I don't consider them as replacement mascots, and even go to great lengths personally to INCLUDE references to the true mascots (a good example, coincidentally, being Opera Man and the FreeBSD Daemons, who mingle closely with their OS-tans counterparts).

QuoteThe author of AROS-Kitty-Chan (a manga version of original AROS-Kitty Cat drawn by Eric Schwartz), is nicknamed Bella, and author AmigaOS-TAN is a young talented mexican artist whose nickname is C-Chan! Bitplane Magazine reached the two people and they allowed to answer this brief interview:

I'm not young and my talent is questionable, so those two descriptors are better left to Bella-hime.  ^__~

Also, as long as you don't have her nationality listed, there's no need to mention mine.  Fair is fair, after all.  `v'

========================================================================

In any event,... that's about it for the prestatements.

Let's get started, shall we?

Quote1) Hello Bella, hello C-Chan, please would you like to introduce you to the amigan users?

Hello dear readers, my name is C-chan and with me today is the lovely Bella-hime.  I'll let her provide a thorough and witty profile of herself, but speaking solely for myself:

I am a member of OS-tan Collections going on two years and counting, although currently in a semi-retirement state.  I also characterize myself as a pig, approximately 20cm tall, and with the unusual ability, not just to speak, but also to morph into random objects, spontaneously combust, cut backroom deals, and even issue my own [hyper-inflated] currency.   ;)

Besides vector drawing and [obviously] watching Anime, I also partake in Linux development, refurbishing computers, gardening, landscaping, carpentry, reading, walking, and the occasional Wii play.  Here's a picture of me with my beloved Asus EeePC 2G, taken by my beloved EeePC 4G using an older beta of my OS:  ;D

Quote2b) Where came from the nickname C-chan and the black porky pig avatar? [picture]

Never watched Ranma 1/2 much, eh?  `v'
Don't blame you, as I haven't either.  Nevertheless, I've always loved pigs, and P-chan (the pig from Ranma 1/2) was the first pig I ever saw in an Anime series (therefore, the name stuck in my head).  Surely if I had watched Porco Rosso prior to that, I'd be known as "Porco Soso" by now.  :)

Why the "C" is easy.  The "P" in the original name stands for "pig" -- and "pig" in Spanish can be either "cochino" or "cerdo".  The rest is history.  ;)

My favorite color is green (more specifically, teal), so it's a given I'd have a green kerchief instead of P-chan's yellow one.

Quote3) We know that you both are not Amigan User and you never own an Amiga platform. Where do your interest in Amiga and AROS came from?

Just to let you now, aside from not being an Amiga user, I'm also not formally trained as an artist, nor am I formally trained in computers even.  Everything infused with "Essence of C-chan" is both informal and improvised.  :D

In any event,... now that you mention it,... even back when I owned an Atari 8-bit machine, I didn't know of Amiga's existence.  Though I was much younger then, still it has to be said that I've always been (up until two years ago) a casual computer user.

My life, like that of most computer users even today, revolved around Windows PCs, with little exposure to anything else besides Macs and the occasional mention of this thing called "Linux".  I simply never cared to know about alternatives or computer history.

Nevertheless, the first time I heard of Amiga was back in 1994 I believe, in an advert for a game about a James Bond-like fish that was available on many game and PC platforms.  I was curious of what this "Amiga" thing was, but without internet and an impaired will to learn, only the name stuck with me for many years on.

12 years later, I was reading the OS-tan wikipedia article with much excitement, and scoured the web for pictures of these beautiful, community-drawn Anime girls.  I saw Windows-tans and I saw Mac-tans and yes I even saw Linux-tans,... but almost from the bat, I wondered if other systems existed as well.  

Unix came to mind, and indeed my first ever OS-tan drawing was a draft for her design.  But the name "Amiga" resurfaced after all this time -- and since my searches for an "Amiga-tan" yielded nothing but minor requests from other people asking for one, I figured I would take it upon myself to draw her.  I was certainly more inspired to draw the friendly, vibrant Amiga, rather than the austere, powerful UNIX-sama (who I wouldn't draw again until nearly a year later).  ;)

And so began my research, not just into using Inkscape (and vector drawing in general) in order to produce a sharper Anime Cel look, but also to learn a little more about this system, thus satiating my twelve year-long curiosity as much as possible.

Quote4) (To C-Chan) C-Chan? Tell us about Amiga-Sama. Do you have a precise idea of design when youn created her? For example we noticed her eyes have the iris coloured as the rainbow Amiga Checkmark. Is it intentional?

Yes.  Her actual character design was conceived after much research into AmigaOS, as well as 1950's American fashion.  The rainbow eyes were not conceived immediately prior to her illustration, but they evolved soon after as I was looking for ways to add distinction to her design.

A lot of the literature I read dealt with her as a multimedia platform, hence my initial emphasis of her as an artist.  Nonetheless, I was aware that she was useful in many other areas (especially games), hence her profile lists her as being quite multi-talented.  In addition to that, many of her later designs have experimented with different clothing....

Quote5) Amiga had already Amy the squirrel created by Eric Schwartz as mascotte. Why don't you created a furry Amiga-Sama? Do you ever known of Amy the squirrel before creating Amiga-Sama?

...Clearly, though, I had not researched enough if I knew nothing of Amy's existence until you arrived.  Had I known, surely I would have considered adding squirrel features to her, much like Momonga Linux-tan (an excellent piece of work by my good friend Siya).  :)

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11782/Momonga-tan.jpg

I've been meaning to compensate by giving her a pet squirrel -- but I've yet to draw a picture of her paired with one.

I've noticed myself that Furry characters, while common in Western animation, are significantly rare in Japanese Anime.  Since my own personal tastes side with the latter, I don't believe I would have considered a furry character at all.

Besides, that would definitely have been counter-productive given the true mascot was already a Furry character -- it would be akin to drawing a Sega mascot from scratch by creating a blue teenage hedgehog with red shoes.  ;)

Quote7a) What programs you use to realize the OS-TANS? For example reading some discussions on OSTAN-Colledctons forum We know that C-Chan has a very stgong passion for vector drawing, and you use Open Source program Inkscape as your preferred tool. Is it right?

When I first began OS-tan drawing, I was a fervent Photoshop supporter and still used it for elements of many of my earlier drawings (along with failed attempts using MangaStudio).  I had used Adobe Illustrator years ago, but was unimpressed by its complexity and generally became wary of vector art.

That changed with Inkscape, which was not only easy to use and comprehensive, but also Free and Open Source.  As I improved in it, I left behind Photoshop and all other raster graphics solutions to focus only on vector graphics.  And as I drew more Linux-tans, and became more and more engrossed in the world of Free and Open Source software, I gave up Windows and all its proprietary software entirely, and have used nothing but Open Source software ever since.

That still includes the venerable Inkscape, but also Krita, GIMP, Digikam, Kolourpaint, Blender, and the like.  I still have the option of installing Photoshop and Poser in Linux, but I never exercise that privilege -- quite frankly, I'm happy using this dynamic F/OSS software and contributing (via money and bug reports) to its development.

Quote8a) We have known of C-Chan and Amiga-Sama from Wikipedia, and sure the info and the pictures about Amiga-Sama gave again the Amiga platform a very little but a significant visibility worldwide, this is important for us Amigans as our platform is actually going through a period of reviving. But recently the article about OS-TANS on Wikipedia was edited and shrinked (Uclaiming reasions of lack of space and unreliability) and any information regarding other OS-Tans except Windows ones, one single Mac-TAN (MacOS-X) were completely wiped off by Wikipedia free writers. Even infos about Linux-TANs were reduced just to some brief notes! Keeping in mind the fact that we got informed of Amiga-Sama just beacuse we read of it on Wikipedia (and without these informations we could never got informed of your interesting and beautiful art), do you feel to make a comment about this sort of censorship Windows-centric? Do you think Windows is becoming a sort of cultural reference excluding all other Operating Systems? Or do you think it is just a matter of ignorance from the writers of articles in Wikipedia? You know that... They are just sort of joung Open-Freelancers who have not historical perspectives of the history of computing?

I think you're refering to the now-extinct "List of OS-tans" article -- the bits and pieces of it that were salvaged were embedded into the original OS-tan article.

The reasons given, while harsh, do make a sad bit of sense.  The article was "unencyclopedic" given that most of the sample OS-tans cited were not officially-published works, and hence relied on information from the legal equivalent of hearsay.  If you drew a super hero called "Raffa Man", and then proceeded to publish a Wikipedia article about him before you even submitted a copyright, then that too would understandably be considered "unencyclopedic".  Many webcomic articles have [presumably] been taken down for similar reasons.

We've even had trouble in our own OS-tan Collections Wiki, since we have little in the way of tangible sources to refer to when writing about OS-tans other than our own.  So while I do agree, having worked with F/OSS and Linux for over a year and a half, that Microsoft is actively trying to subvert use and knowledge of alternative operating systems, this is not the case with the Wikipedia OS-tan article.  Their decision was one of cold practicality -- and truth be told, a Windows ME-tan or a Windows XP-tan are slightly more verifiable than an OS/2-tan.  I'll at least give them credit for specifically stating that these are only "examples" of OS-tans.

The issue of the Windows-centric world is a complex one that we could probably spend all day talking about.  Bottom line is this,... people can care about many things, but this generally doesn't involve something as culturally-new and complex as computers.  Many can only afford basing their consumer choices on advertisements, or there arguments for usage on talking points.  Many will not consider alternatives solely because it's not "what everyone uses", and that's the end of that -- they would care less of how important System A was in 1985, or how virus-free System B is.

I've seen this alot through my experiences as a volunteer repair technician. ;)

Quote9) What are your actual interests?

Well I've stated them briefly before.  ;)

However, I should probably talk a little more about my Linux work.  

I am currently helping out with development of EeePCLinuxOS, a PCLinuxOS-based distribution (itself based on Mandriva Linux) tailored for installation in the Asus EeePC line of miniature laptops.  Since we're a small Remaster group, and already have the majority of the functionality work done, now we're taking our time building and experimenting with exciting new technology in our OS.  We've had quite a lot of downloaders from Italy, by the way,... so if they're reading this, I'd like to say "hi" and "thank you"!  :)

When I joined, I mainly contributed money and artwork as I had zero programming skills to start off with.  Since then, however, I've lunged into the world of BASH scripting, C/C++ programming and QT4, and generally find it unusually exciting.  Once I become sufficiently skilled at creating my own applications, I'm interested in contributing to the KDE4 project, as well as in creating a series of F/OSS edutainment games, featuring OS-tans even.  :D

I've bounced around the idea of contributing to the AROS project, although I don't feel sufficiently-skilled to venture outside of Linux just yet.  Over time I will, however,... it's my interest to make my applications cross-platform, and if it can be installed in Linux, then for sure I'll try to make a port for AROS and MorphOS, and hopefully the latest and greatest AmigaOS.  :D

Incidentally, last year the leaders of a small Amiga game development group asked me if I could contribute artwork to a Halloween-themed "Donationware" game for the Amiga system.  I explained the technical and licensing issues why I could not, but I never received a response nor do I know if the game was ever finalized and sold.  Nevertheless, while I regret missing out in an opportunity to contribute directly to AmigaOS, I do remain firm in my commitment to Open Source.  It's my dream, however futile, that AmigaOS can be made Open Source in the future -- and I can't help make that happen if I continue to validate the Closed Source model.

Quote10) Now a question that is very important for our Amigan readers. Do you think you will buy one Amiga machine in the future?

That's a tough question that puts me in a bit of a moral bind.  :P

Not long ago I was convinced I wanted a Macintosh no matter what.  But a few months ago, a friend of mine left his Macintosh in my care while he was on vacation -- and while I did take care of it, download updates and installed F/OSS software on it, I simply was not as comfortable with it as I thought I would be.  The Closed System approach just seemed too claustrophobic to me, not unlike how my Windows work computers feel to me now -- it's become clear that I'm now an Open Source aficionado and never looking back.

In addition to this, I've also grown fond of ultra-portable AND energy-efficient computers -- aside from the Linux-based Asus EeePC which is barely the size of two DVD cases, my new desktop is a tiny Linux-based Shuttle KPC which is literally not much bigger than a toaster oven.  Feel free to look at both models here:

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/
http://us.shuttle.com/kpc/

Given that's the direction I'm committed to, if AmigaOS is open sourced and sells in miniature desktops/laptops, then I think the possibility is strong that C-chan can become an Amigan.  Certainly the technology exists today to contain whole computers inside a keyboard like in the good ol' days,... in fact, a company did just that not but a few months ago, and I think reviving that concept has much merit today.  :)

Nevertheless, if this is not the case and I don't feel compelled to buy and Amiga machine,... never fear...
There's always sweet, little AROS.  ;)

Quote11) If you want to, you can use our magazine, Bitplane, and take the occasion to send greetings to Eric Schwartz (who is also author of AROS Kitty cat mascotte) if you want to salute another artist who is involved with Amiga. Eric is very important for us Amigans, and I believe that he will pleased to know about your art and your tribute of his Aros-Kitty-Cat.

A very special hello and greetings to Eric Schwartz, who is without a doubt the epitome of a true Amiga artist.  :D

Thank you for personalizing this wonderous system even long before the OS-tan idea was a conception in anyone's mind.

Thank you also for carrying on the tradition with your curiously sexy Kitty.   ;D

Quote12) Bitplane Magazine Italia, the italian Amigans, and all other Amigans worldwide wish to thank both of you for your answers, and we hope we will meet again in the future, maybe when you had had buyed a very brand new Amiga Machine, or instslled final version of AROS.

Well here's hoping that AmigaOS gets its long-overdue mass public reintroduction.  Given how faithful and harworking you supporters have been over the past two decades, it seems almost insulting that the companies seemingly drag their feet over legalities.  I strongly believe that if AmigaOS were ever Open Sourced, then it would not only revive but THRIVE in a never-ending demonstration of its full potential, unhampered by needless delays.

I want to thank you for your questions and your readers for their attention.  But in addition to that, I also want to thank all the people who have drawn Amiga-tan, not just myself but Alfamille, Aurora, Bella, Infinity Zero, Kami-Tux, and yes even yourself.  :)

I view Amiga-tan as a success, not because she's attained enough attention to be featured [briefly] in Wikipedia or even this magazine, but because she's invited other people to pour their hearts and minds into drawing her.  Community contributions are the backbone of th OS-tan world, and I'm happy that my first posted OS-tan has become such a strong part of that community!

Just so we're clear, let me post links here of Amiga-sama's depiction by other artists, just so you can see that you're not just hearing from C-chan or Bella, but from OS-tan Collections as a whole.  :D

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10383/miggy.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11522/Copyof116-2.png
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11522/Snowballfight.png
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10654/roadtoredmond.png

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/amigatan-rocklobstersketch.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/os-tan_valentines_special.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/retakingthefirststep.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zs29%7E0.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zs30.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zs31.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zs36.jpg

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini593.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini511.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini463.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini464.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini465.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini466.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini467.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini458.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini459.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini460.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini461.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/11498/mini462.jpg

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zsh01.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zsh02.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zsh03.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10307/zsh04.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/CaptainMiko/zsh05.jpg
http://ostan-collections.net/annex/Images/ZS05b_beta2.png
http://ostan-collections.net/annex/Images/zs05b_beta3.png
http://ostan-collections.net/annex/Images/zs05b_beta4.png
http://ostan-collections.net/annex/Images/zs05b_beta5.png

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"I'll go ahead and start....  -v-

=========================================

QuoteWhat is an OS-TAN?

An OS-TAN is a mascotte. Visually speaking it is the personification as beautiful manga girl of an operating system... etc.

Before we begin, just wondering...
Will this be translated into Italian, left in English, or be bilingual?  If the latter two, I should point out a small spelling error ("mascotte" -> "mascot").

There will be versions in both languages. Don't worry for the tone or the correct spelling of words...

Interview it is still highly on beta stage...

QuoteAny people could realize OS-TANS if he has enough artistic talent. OS-TANS are sort of Open Source. There is only one rule. Any painter, any artist should follow the original artistic guidelines of the first one who realized an OS-TAN. The original design is predatory. He/she who came first and realizes a complete design of an OS-TAN then this design should be used by all artists who came second.

That was somewhat true when the movement first came about, but has grown considerably lax since,... the evidence being in the massive divergence in Windows Vista-tan designs.

In OS-tan Collections, we do apply the original rule (first come, first drawn) as much as possible, but mainly for practical considerations.  Many of the characters we draw are not very well-known, and require a greater degree of volume and diversity than just Windows platforms. It would be counterproductive, for example, to create many variants of MULTICS-tan, when so few people (even within our own forum) care little about her, and the time could be better spent bringing to life a PrimOS-tan, a RSTS-tan, a CTSS-tan, a GECOS-tan, etc, for educational and storyline purposes.

It is important. Thanks for the clarification, I will adapt the entering part of the article according to your infos.

QuoteDespite of the fact we all amigans consider Amy the Squirrel from Eric Schwartz our beloved historical mascotte, [Amy the squirrel picture] it exists also an OS-TAN for the AmigaOS and her name is Amiga-Sama (in japanese language "sama" it is an honorific suffix that means literally "Lady Amiga") [Amiga-Sama picture], and a mascotte for AROS too [AROS-Kitty and AROS_Kitty Chan pictures]. Her name is Aros-Kitty-Chan and it has been realized by C-Chan from a sketch design of Bella. Both artists are resident at ostan-collection.net site.

Well actually it really is just Amiga-tan.  "Amiga-sama" is just a title of endearment cause we like her.  ^^'

Well, I must keep the interest of the reader on the Amiga-Tan character..

QuoteThe author of AROS-Kitty-Chan (a manga version of original AROS-Kitty Cat drawn by Eric Schwartz), is nicknamed Bella, and author AmigaOS-TAN is a young talented mexican artist whose nickname is C-Chan! Bitplane Magazine reached the two people and they allowed to answer this brief interview:

I'm not young and my talent is questionable, so those two descriptors are better left to Bella-hime.  ^__~

Ancient Latins said people are "young" until 35, then they are "men", and over 65 are "old"...

I prefer to follow that rules...

Also, as long as you don't have her nationality listed, there's no need to mention mine.  Fair is fair, after all.  `v'

Well I hope she will be so glad to reveal it in her part of the answers... Take just a little moment to give her enough time to answer it...

I think that both of you should be proud of contributing as artists to the glory of your country, even in a rstricted niche of OS-Tan supporters.

Quote2b) Where came from the nickname C-chan and the black porky pig avatar? [picture]

Never watched Ranma 1/2 much, eh?  `v'

Please C-Chan... Enter the mind of an interview...

Even if I could know anything about you, the people out there are not so informed, and as interviewer I must make you even obivious questions...

Quote5) Amiga had already Amy the squirrel created by Eric Schwartz as mascotte. Why don't you created a furry Amiga-Sama? Do you ever known of Amy the squirrel before creating Amiga-Sama?

...Clearly, though, I had not researched enough if I knew nothing of Amy's existence until you arrived.

Well, sure I am pleased you mentioned me, but now I am to decide if revert your answer as IMPERSONAL, as I am the interviewer too

"until an user called Raffaele the Amigan" etc., etc., etc....

Or prhaps I wonder if I should keep it as you wrote it...

At least, people will understood (if reading carefully the article) that it was me who informed you of the exsistence of Amy the Squirrel...

No problem... I will decide later what of two possible versions (personal or impersonal) I will keep public...

Just so we're clear, let me post links here of Amiga-sama's depiction by other artists, just so you can see that you're not just hearing from C-chan or Bella, but from OS-tan Collections as a whole.  :D

Please C-Chan... If I should realized an interview, I should mention only the CREATORS of the OS-TAN that interest the readers... i.e. Amiga TAN...

Other depicitions than those created by the original artists could be shown, but the interview is strictly related with original AUTHORS of a certain TAN design...

[EDIT]

Keep in mind that Bitplane is a printed magazine, so I will have to Squeeze your answers, or it will not fit 2 pages and a half...

So i will cut something... (But I show you the reduced version to keep your approving that... I promise)

The complete interview will be available only online...

[/EDIT]
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Bella

Just so you know, I am working on my replies, and trying to give them a lot of thought. Is there any time deadline? Because I can post as soon as possible if need be.

Raffaele the Amigan

Depends if they have already closed the topics for the next issue, or if next issue is already open to some contributions...

Bitplane is bi-monthly or tri-monthly, depending from the funds.

Next issue should be scheduled for july if I remember well, and then for September...

If not for the July issue, then this interview will be published in September...
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

Oh, just as an FYI, do try and stick to the "personal" style.  It's hard to remain "impersonal" with a straight face while you're talking to a pig.  :D

In any event, I'll return later for my Wednesday Visitation Hours (but not here,... I think I've said all I've had to say).  :P

Bella

QuoteWell I hope she will be so glad to reveal it in her part of the answers... Take just a little moment to give her enough time to answer it...

I think that both of you should be proud of contributing as artists to the glory of your country, even in a rstricted niche of OS-Tan supporters.

I'm kinda...Eurasian/Mediterranean-American. I don't know if this must be mentioned, though :P

Quote1) Hello Bella, hello C-Chan, please would you like to introduce you to the amigan users?

I believe my fellow OS-tan Collections member, and spontaneously combustible pig, C-chan already gave me a small introduction. But to further elaborate, I am Bella, and I am happy that we have been asked to do an interview for this magazine! I'm mainly a student and photographer, but there are many artistic and outdoor hobbies which I enjoy. I stumbled upon the OS-tan phenomenon in the Spring of 2007; while I liked seeing the personifications of the Windows and Mac-tans, I found myself interested in designing characters for undrawn operating systems. I was glad to find a community of like-minded OS-tan artists that, while small, were very welcoming. While I have been a fan of anime for a long time, I had never made any serious attempts to draw anime/manga style artwork. But I practiced, and I soon was designing personifications for different versions of Linux, Unix, vintage OSs, as well as drawing alternative systems, like AROS-tan. Later on I started researching historical operating systems, many of which date before the 1970s, which is where much of my interest currently lies.

Quote2a) Why the nickname Bella?

It actually came from my old DeviantArt username, "Bella Cielo", which I roughly translated to "beautiful sky" in Italian. You'll have to forgive me since I don't know a great deal of the Italian language, only a bit picked up from my grandparents. At any rate, I've always liked the Romance languages...and "Bella" is a pretty sounding name (quite literally).

Quote3) We know that you both are not Amigan User and you never own an Amiga platform. Where do your interest in Amiga and AROS came from?

For a long time Windows was really the only operating system I had any knowledge of. I had heard of Macs, Linux and Unix...but I was fairly close minded about alternative operating systems. I suppose it was over a year and a half ago that I started researching alternative OSs and computers more; I was very impressed by what I learned about Amiga OS, but also saddened that a system with such revolutionary features never gained a great deal of consumer popularity. However, I am happy to see open source projects implementing Amiga-like systems, like AROS. Hopefully, it will gain the widespread attention that may have, unfortunately, evaded the original Amiga.

Of all the benefits that may have come from my OS-tan art hobby, the greatest has been the chance to research many alternative and vintage operating systems and computers I may have otherwise overlooked. I have seen a diverse world outside of Windows; I surly think that someday, I will try out AROS.

Quote6) (To Bella) Bella? At a certain moment you were informed about AROS, and you spotted AROS Kitty, then you realized first sketch of her.

C-Chan actually thought up a lot of the ideas for AROS-tan's character. He explained how he thought she'd be young in age, and have design cues based on Eric Schwartz' AROS Kitty; like light hair, yellow eyes, kitty cat ears and a tail, too. But when I decided to draw her, I took quite a bit of artistic license, as I often do with characters. At the time, her cat ears, tail, and outfit were mostly dark red, as a reference to the mascot. But the color scheme has changed to dark blue along with the AROS Kitty.

She is drawn as a cute little girl now, but perhaps an older version of AROS-tan will show her as being more mature and attractive.

Quote7b) And you Bella? What are your preffered artisti tools?

My favorite artistic tools have always been a pencil and paper, and of course my imagination. When I started drawing OS-tans, I really didn't have much experience drawing manga style artwork, and experimented with many mediums. I started out drawing with pen and ink, and colored pencil coloring; then I moved to a very basic raster graphics program to do digital coloring, and eventually to Adobe Photoshop 5.5. I continued with Photoshop until I got a bit bored and fed up with it; I felt that my work wasn't coming out as I envisioned it, and this frustrated me. I had always loved how the drawings made in Inkscape, an open-source vector graphics program, turned out, so I gave it a try. Working with vector graphics was a little difficult at first, but I stuck with it; even though I wasn't too good at first, I just kept practicing and working at it. I'm very glad I did, because I have found vector graphics to be much more intuitive, efficient and elegant than raster graphics. To this day I still do sketches as guides to base my drawings off of, and I use hand drawing for my comics.

Quote9) What are your actual interests?

Well, I'm a full time student...history, art, mathematics, and science, physics to be exact, are probably my favorite subjects; although I'm unsure of exactly what career I may take up. I work part time as a photographer, and photography is one of my passions in life. Traveling as well, I have been lucky enough to venture all over North America...the United States, mostly...but would love to someday travel around the world, and experience different cultures and places. I love all forms of art, and have had many artistic pursuits throughout my life; currently, they include drawing, vector graphics, painting and some short story writing, which I'd like to spend more time on. I try to be outdoors as much as I can, and like hiking, bicycling, kayaking, and just generally being in nature, enjoying its beauty. In the winter I love snowboarding, this is probably my favorite sport.

Computers have always interested me. I primarily use Windows XP, but this will undoubtedly be the last Windows machine I use. Not because of any problems I have with Windows itself; I just don't like to support corporations that have so little respect for the consumer. About a year ago I started working with Linux, mostly to try something different, and also to see how an open source OS compared to proprietary ones like Windows and OS X. I've tried several distros but Ubuntu is probably my favorite. I also enjoy researching computer history...that means the software and hardware, as well as the social and political implications of these revolutionary machines. I don't think enough people know, or care, about the origins of our technology; many are far too quick to dismiss older machines and operating systems as mere relics, without realizing that the innovations of the past paved the way for our modern world. There is a rich, intriguing history that I never would have imagined not so long ago.

C-Chan

*swoons*  That was beautiful,.. very "bella"!  ^______^

*douses self with Crazy Glue and hugs Bella*

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"*swoons*  That was beautiful,.. very "bella"!  ^______^

*douses self with Crazy Glue and hugs Bella*

AAAHHH! You revealed yourself...  ;015

You are not C-CHAN!  ;014

You are Clamp's Murikuri Filthy Pig!

[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

QuoteAAAHHH! You revealed yourself...  

You are not C-CHAN!  

You are Clamp's Murikuri Filthy Pig!

Guilty... as... charged....  :P

Okay, now,... *takes out wad of New C-chan Points* ...how much does hush money go for these days?  ;)

Raffaele the Amigan

I am proud to announce you that Bitplane accepted the interview I made to Bella and C-Chan and they published it in the last september issue that was sold at Pianeta Amiga Exhibit that was held last 27 and 28 september.

News here: (In Italian language)

http://amiga.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11804

I am so proud of it... ;010

I can't wait anymore for delivery at home of the copies of the magazine I bought via mail...  :smoke:

And here a parade of photos zooming from the hallway of the exhibit up to a close-up the cover of last issue of Bitplane containing the notorious interview...

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000000.jpg

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000001.html

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000002.html

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000004.html

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000038.html

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000030.jpg

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000034.jpg

Sam 440 EP "Samantha" is officially new Amiga hardware for AOS 4.1!

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000007.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k452/CAM_TFP/Pianeta%20Amiga%202008/IMG_0164.jpg

And two gift images for C-Chan...

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000028.html

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k452/CAM_TFP/Pianeta%20Amiga%202008/IMG_0176.jpg

Dear C-Chino meet Miss Piggy, the mascot of IkirSector Amiga site , where lays the biggest online community of italian Amigans!
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

Yo Raffaele-san.  Long time no hear! ^^
Sorry that I can't stay too long -- I was hoping to do a little art recently, but instead my economic skills are currently in very high demand by a lot of very nervous people.  Notwithstanding that they didn't listen to me when things were a little better, but that's another story.... -v-

*le sigh*

In any event, just wanted to drop by and thank you for letting us know.  It's great that they published that interview -- I wasn't 100% convinced it was relevant enough for Bitplane, but glad to see that wasn't the case.  ^^

I love the desktop model here:

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000030.jpg

...it kinda looks like my Shuttle KPC, only not as deep and in white.  

I see now we finally get another guest appearance of Samantha-tan...

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000034.jpg

...yep, I do remember your old sketch... just don't remember where in this HUGE forum its at.  :P

QuoteAnd two gift images for C-Chan...

http://www.os4games.it/speciali/pa2008/000028.html

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k452/CAM_TFP/Pianeta%20Amiga%202008/IMG_0176.jpg

Dear C-Chino meet Miss Piggy, the mascot of IkirSector Amiga site , where lays the biggest online community of italian Amigans!

BWAHAHA!!!  ^v^
Funny, I still have that same model pig in my collection.  ^^

Very glad to see y'all have very good tastes -- mm-hmmm, nothing less to be expected from Amiga devotees. ^___^

Art has been slow as of late... nothing specifically Amigoid related, but I did draw up some more of Amiga-san's stepsisters:

To the left, Commodore 128-san (holding a plushie of Commodore 65-tan), and to the right Commodore VIC20-tan.  These were the ones I was intending to debut in that huge Commodore-Amiga family portrait I talked about a long time ago.  Course, they would have been in full uniform then -- since this picture is present day, both have "dressed down" a lot from their old days in the Commodore service.  -.-

I wanted to expand this further, but lately I've been juggling the idea of going from partial retirement to full retirement.  That's still a wait and see, but there isn't much left for me to do here, and a lot left for me to do in the world of programming.  -.-'

Naturally, I'll let you know if the time comes.

Alrighty, breaks over for me.  See you and thanks for stopping by!  ^__^

Added after 1 minutes:

PS:  I shall treasure this emoticon, the best I've seen so far... ^.^

NejinOniwa

OSHI-OCTOBER! Egads, that pic...stunning, sempai! Absolutely stunning!

Little more to say now.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS