OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteWow, had a very rough day, so couldn't get inspired with this one until very late in the evening. -.-

Sorry to hear that. : | Hope things are better now.

QuoteSuffice to say, it's half-done. ^___^
Just need XP Pro-san and as yet undisclosed Mac-tan. ^.^

Oooooh!!! Cute! I'm really loving Linux-sama...well, I've always liked Linux-sama, but there's just something about her...I think it has to do with her hair...

Ahhh, I'll have to draw her with blueish hair someday, since I'm starting to like that version...

And I concur with Aurora, FreeBSD-chan is adorable ^_^ And she will eat anything, won't she?

QuoteAnd can you please give me a hint who the Mac-tan to appear in the logo is? Pretty please?

*tries to start group chant*

A Mac OSX-tan! A Mac OSX-tan! A Mac OSX-tan!

*continues on*

Now for some...

Random Unix-tan conjecture!!!

I was recently looking at some Unix-like timelines when I had an odd thought come to me...

How would Linux-sama be related to the fabled, never-released GNU-tan? I mean, I know she was raised by Minix-sensei and put out on her own and all, and that according to Kami-Tux Linux-sama and GNU-tan would be less than friendly toward one another...

But Linux is supposed to be directly descended to GNU:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Unix-history.svg

....momma?  ;015

Oh yes, and any thoughts on a perspective AIX, UnixWare or IRIX-tan? I know IRIX is known to have a very advanced file system or something, but that's about it...and UnixWare I have a slight character idea for, since she's had run-ins with NT-tan, hates her quite a lot, and is probably one of the most direct decedents of the Goddess (at least by the way the timeline makes it look...)

C-Chan

QuoteSorry to hear that. : | Hope things are better now.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little better after the wake.  It's nice to get back into more charming things,... unfortunately, got back home late again so what should've been a couple-hours exercise turned into a multi-day thing.  How very annoying.  -v-'

In any event, managed to add in Tiger-sama at least:

Yeah, chose her cause Pu-chan (as much as I love her to bits) isn't particularly iconic, Mac-tan is drawn too much, and Sonata-sensei is too old.  ^^'
Though Leopard-san is out, Tiger is still the de facto leader of the group.  -v-

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that this logo is in fact "Open Sauced", so feel free to dig in as well!  ^v^

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=102

Added after 56 seconds:

Anyway, my battery's drained for the day, so again,... like always,... I hope to reply to y'all tomorrow.  -v-

*snore*  -______-  Zzzzz

Added after 10 hours 40 minutes:

QuoteOooooh!!! Cute! I'm really loving Linux-sama...well, I've always liked Linux-sama, but there's just something about her...I think it has to do with her hair...

Ahhh, I'll have to draw her with blueish hair someday, since I'm starting to like that version...

And I concur with Aurora, FreeBSD-chan is adorable And she will eat anything, won't she?

Don't get me wrong, I do love Juzo-kun's Linux-tans.  ^__^
However, my only gripe was that their hair was all brown and desperately needed a little more variety.  So back in the day, I promised myself that if I ever draw variants of their designs, I'd default to the original hair colors used by the same Japanese Linux variants.

Aurora-san already did that for Red Hat-tan and Fedora-tan, and I did that for GNU/Linux-san before in her chibi rendition, and now again here (giving her a darker shade of purple).  But I think she has more "Moe"appeal in your helmetless, diplomatic look, so hence why I'll migrate to that one going forward.  ^.^

Further down the road, though, we will have to replace the Beryl cape with a Compiz Fusion one.  ^___^

QuoteHow would Linux-sama be related to the fabled, never-released GNU-tan? I mean, I know she was raised by Minix-sensei and put out on her own and all, and that according to Kami-Tux Linux-sama and GNU-tan would be less than friendly toward one another...

But Linux is supposed to be directly descended to GNU:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Unix-history.svg

....momma?

For a second there, I thought you meant GNU-Hurd-tan (which is the one Kami-Tux said didn't get along well with Linux-san).

You can look at the GNU website here:

http://www.gnu.org/

But it sort of ties back to the major issue of confusion with "GNU/Linux", in that we've come to assume that "Linux" is the entire operating system when it really is just the kernel.  The huge, enormous hive of free software that's built around it and gives it its teeth is in fact the "operating system".  

Because of this, I'm hesitent to make this entity known as "Gnu" an actual OS-tan.  But since some sort of personification is required to explain the union between GNU + Linux, I imagined that during the young Linux-chan's early travels she encountered a living suit that would wonder the lands looking for a worthy master (or perhaps waiting for one in some RPG-inspired cave).  Not only does she pass the trials, but she does so using only her wits (in lieu of her then poor strength) and without ever losing sight of her good intentions.  This inspires GNU to the point where It not only cedes the suit to her (you know,... that famous helmet, spear, etc), but It also agrees to accompany her in her travels.  ^^

....Just so you know, my omission of the "Kami-tux" creature from any of my conjectures of Linux-sama's youth was PURELY intentional for this very reason.  ^^

QuoteOh yes, and any thoughts on a perspective AIX, UnixWare or IRIX-tan? I know IRIX is known to have a very advanced file system or something, but that's about it...and UnixWare I have a slight character idea for, since she's had run-ins with NT-tan, hates her quite a lot, and is probably one of the most direct decedents of the Goddess (at least by the way the timeline makes it look...)

I'm sensing some deja vu for some reason. ^___^
Oh well,... even now, I'm drawing a blank on AIX and Unixware.  IRIX-tan, though, I want to make her look OBSCENELY futuristic (perhaps more so than Adamantix-tan), although this is mostly to impress as she's not really any more powerful than your run-of-the-mill Unix-tan.  She's a sucker for style and visual effects, and her attacks are laden with so much wasteful eye-candy they'd make most modern Final Fantasy Summoning spells look 8-bit.  ^^;

Probably a great running gag too,... imagine IRIX-tan standing up to UNIX-sama (disrespectful brat that she is) and starts summoning one of her most powerful spells.  But rather than stop her, Unix-sama pulls up a chair, dons some 3D glasses, sips some tea and enjoys the show.  This visual acid trip goes on for about 15 minutes...

...and in the split second that IRIX-tan unleashes all hell....

...UNIX-sama flicks her in the nose (cancelling the spell), and pulls her away by the ear.

Bella

QuoteYeah, I'm feeling a little better after the wake. It's nice to get back into more charming things,... unfortunately, got back home late again so what should've been a couple-hours exercise turned into a multi-day thing. How very annoying. -v-'

In any event, managed to add in Tiger-sama at least:

I always say, "When in doubt, go with Tiger-sama!"   ;010

Still waiting to see my adopted mascot-of-my-OS-tan, XP Pro-chan! I just wanna know how she'll be defiling that flag  ;006

QuoteThough Leopard-san is out, Tiger is still the de facto leader of the group. -v-

Bahh, she's to busy messing with the fabric of existence to lead groups ;)

QuoteAlso, just wanted to let you guys know that this logo is in fact "Open Sauced", so feel free to dig in as well! ^v^

Woohoo! Open sauce! Next best thing to cranberry sauce!

*either that's an inside joke, or you've taken to talking in an ever-so-elegant Bostonian accent*

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I do love Juzo-kun's Linux-tans. ^__^
However, my only gripe was that their hair was all brown and desperately needed a little more variety. So back in the day, I promised myself that if I ever draw variants of their designs, I'd default to the original hair colors used by the same Japanese Linux variants.

I agree with the variety thing...the only thing I disliked about them...

QuoteFurther down the road, though, we will have to replace the Beryl cape with a Compiz Fusion one. ^___^

You mean red and black?

QuoteFor a second there, I thought you meant GNU-Hurd-tan (which is the one Kami-Tux said didn't get along well with Linux-san).

Oh yeah, I guess I did get the two mixed up....I realized this about an hour after posting that >////<

QuoteBut it sort of ties back to the major issue of confusion with "GNU/Linux", in that we've come to assume that "Linux" is the entire operating system when it really is just the kernel. The huge, enormous hive of free software that's built around it and gives it its teeth is in fact the "operating system".

I know that...

But gees, that GNU site is confusing >___< If I can get this straight, they made everything but the kernel? I always assumed the kernel was the first thing they developed and worked upward from there...

And do they eventually want to make their own GNU OS? Or what...?

QuoteBecause of this, I'm hesitent to make this entity known as "Gnu" an actual OS-tan. But since some sort of personification is required to explain the union between GNU + Linux, I imagined that during the young Linux-chan's early travels she encountered a living suit that would wonder the lands looking for a worthy master (or perhaps waiting for one in some RPG-inspired cave). Not only does she pass the trials, but she does so using only her wits (in lieu of her then poor strength) and without ever losing sight of her good intentions. This inspires GNU to the point where It not only cedes the suit to her (you know,... that famous helmet, spear, etc), but It also agrees to accompany her in her travels. ^^

That sounds like an...incredibly quirky tale...!

Yes, that sounds like something that could only happen to Linux-chan :P

Quote....Just so you know, my omission of the "Kami-tux" creature from any of my conjectures of Linux-sama's youth was PURELY intentional for this very reason. ^^

O__________O

QuoteI'm sensing some deja vu for some reason. ^___^
Oh well,... even now, I'm drawing a blank on AIX and Unixware.

AIX I've got no ideas for, but I think Unixware has a lot of good material for a -tan...

QuoteIRIX-tan, though, I want to make her look OBSCENELY futuristic (perhaps more so than Adamantix-tan), although this is mostly to impress as she's not really any more powerful than your run-of-the-mill Unix-tan. She's a sucker for style and visual effects, and her attacks are laden with so much wasteful eye-candy they'd make most modern Final Fantasy Summoning spells look 8-bit. ^^;

Cooooool :D

Although I bet some Compiz-fusion or Beryl decked out Linux-tan might have a debate over who posses the more flashy, yes-less-that-useful fashions XD

QuoteProbably a great running gag too,... imagine IRIX-tan standing up to UNIX-sama (disrespectful brat that she is) and starts summoning one of her most powerful spells. But rather than stop her, Unix-sama pulls up a chair, dons some 3D glasses, sips some tea and enjoys the show. This visual acid trip goes on for about 15 minutes...

...and in the split second that IRIX-tan unleashes all hell....

...UNIX-sama flicks her in the nose (cancelling the spell), and pulls her away by the ear.

...and in the background, there's Slackware-chan whining about how Unix-sama never gives her this kind of attention ;)

Anyhow, that's funny! Who would have known Unix-sama would attract this kind of comedy?
Although I do have to say the *nix family has an almost disturbing amount of pompous little brats XD
As for those spells...I assume she uses "Indigo Magic"? And is this also a reference to IRIX once being used in a lot of computer animation applications?

C-Chan

Okay, y'all know the drill!  Finished for the day, but too tired to talk or reply to other threads.  Hopefully can get to them tomorrow.  -.-

And of course, the sauce:

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=102

Which will probably be needed eventually since i hit a wall as to what shape the logo should have, as well as the positioning of the wording.  And the Vista banner needs folds and rips.  ^^

Okay, g'night all.  -.-

*snore*  -___-  Zzzzzzzz

Tsubashi

Hmmm, methinks my 'need to reply to' collectors are FAIL, I completely overlooked this thread. Baka Tsubashi!

So, MEWXPZLFUDAWV eh? Is that secretary position still open? ^.^'

That's a great logo you've got there senpai! All this vector work going on; I really need to fix my inkscape!
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

MEWXPZLFUDAWV! WUT.
I hereby apply for the postition of Resident Minister of Propaganda. HEIL SEMPAI! ONE MEWXPZLFUDAWV, ONE PIG! HEIL SEMPAI!

*has watched an Opera about the Nazis lately, and thus is a bit affected*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Darknight_88

!
THIS IS WHY YOU WILL NEVER GET NICE THINGS

be happy that I'm too occupied with my preparations for the Chemistry final exam to pay attention to your actions...

Otherwise I'd have already started drawing a Tiger... in the receiving end of a massive beamspam. Or in more painful situations.

Bella

QuoteOkay, y'all know the drill! Finished for the day, but too tired to talk or reply to other threads. Hopefully can get to them tomorrow. -.-

Cute!

You gotta love the look on XP-tan's face ^_^ But...*gasp*...I have to say I think Linux-sama's the cutest one here!

QuoteSo, MEWXPZLFUDAWV eh? Is that secretary position still open? ^.^'

You and Aurora can be the secretaries of Mac affairs ;)

QuoteThat's a great logo you've got there senpai! All this vector work going on; I really need to fix my inkscape!

Why not just re-download it?

QuoteMEWXPZLFUDAWV! WUT.
I hereby apply for the postition of Resident Minister of Propaganda. HEIL SEMPAI! ONE MEWXPZLFUDAWV, ONE PIG! HEIL SEMPAI!

Minister of Propaganda? Sure, why not :P

Quote!
THIS IS WHY YOU WILL NEVER GET NICE THINGS

be happy that I'm too occupied with my preparations for the Chemistry final exam to pay attention to your actions...

Oh, now, we're a peace-promoting group...and I'd say a somewhat satirical one at that ;)

Darknight_88

QuoteOh, now, we're a peace-promoting group...and I'd say a somewhat satirical one at that

You aren't getting peace like this T_T
>: /

C-Chan

Bwahaha! ^v^

Not to worry, Bella-san.  ^^
Ol Darknight is just in another one of his "Dark Moods".  ^.^
And through brooding, chemistry-worn, lurking-impaired eyes, everything looks like a declaration of war, even cute little clubs made by you, with a cute little logo that's a gift from me to you, featuring his cute ex-sweetheart XP Pro-tan.  ^__^

I could sneeze this instant and he'd want to draw blood.  ^.^

Don't worry,... it'll pass in time, and he'll either be happily playing with his online Multiplayer cruiser/battleship/thingie, or will be productively DRAWING something to try and even the odds.  ^____^

Now then, time to make me rounds.  I'll be right back....  -v-

Darknight_88

It doesn't look like a declaration of war...that logo its  a declaration of WAR T_T
Also, my previous OS was not XP-pro :P. Homeko FTW.
At least she's faithful to the windows lineage, unlike her dissident, traitor sister ;_;

*scraps Tiger-tan and OS/2 sketchs*
I could sneeze this instant

BIOLOGICAL WARFARE!

See?! I told everyone that we couldn't trust pigs! but no one heard...;_;

C-Chan

Fufufu.... ^.^

<___<

>___>

*sneeze sneeze sneeze*  >V<

*douses nose with pepper*

*SNEEZE!!!!*  >///<

Oh yeah, I could have a lot of fun with this.  ^_____^

Tsubashi

QuoteCute!

You gotta love the look on XP-tan's face  But...*gasp*...I have to say I think Linux-sama's the cutest one here!

I don't know. She is pretty cute, but that BSD Devilette... ^__^

QuoteYou and Aurora can be the secretaries of Mac affairs  

Yay!!! *Rejoices* ^o^

QuoteWhy not just re-download it?

Well, you see... I tried (and succeeded) in compiling a completely native version of inkscape (and gimp for that matter) on Sazaki-chan (my mac mini). Unfortunately, being as stupid as I am, I tried to tweak it a little bit, and ended up screwing up my entire GTK port. T_T
I'll probably end up going back to universal binaries, but they're always slightly behind on the latest build. ^^'
Yes, I know how foolish that sounds ^.^'

Added after 1 minutes:

Quote*SNEEZE!!!!* >///<

Oh yeah, I could have a lot of fun with this. ^_____^

Senpai.... ^^'
-Tsu

Darknight_88

QuoteOh yeah, I could have a lot of fun with this. ^_____^
Gas masks :p

Techno the fox

Hello everyone!
I just got back from +Nijiura+, nice place at that.
None of the random Flames/ /b/tards / attackers and Sagebombs.
But still all the goodness of the Futaba Imageboards.

Anyway, I just noticed..Leopard-chan is an IDOL there.
Seriously, she's all over the place ^_^

Quote from: "Bella"You gotta love the look on XP-tan's face  But...*gasp*...I have to say I think Linux-sama's the cutest one here!

I gotta say, I disagree with you there Bella.
Free Bsd-chan is just TOO cute for me not to call the cutest of them all.

Quote from: "C-chan"*sneeze sneeze sneeze* >V<

*douses nose with pepper*

*SNEEZE!!!!* >///<

Aaaah Take cover!
*hides behind a chair*

I love the banner C-chan.
And if this is going to be war against the Vista-users, then let it be WAR!

Now... For Some pics....

(Note: I'm really close to changing my avi to that of the pink haired "Future" Leopard-tan. I just keep finding myself attracted to her)

Oh, and C-chan.
I FOUND THAT ALTERNATE PUMA-CHAN!
You're right..She is cute.. ^_^
But for some reason the pic of her won't upload in this topic.
Anyway, she's blonde, pigtails, black and red ear pattern.
Is this her?

EDIT: Darn it..That stupid replying mechanism won't let me post two of the pics I was going to. It keeps complaining about being too big. -_-
And I had one of Leopard-chan is a swimsuit too.. Ah well. OS-tan gallery here I come. (if they're not already there.)