OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteCould use some fashion ideas. ^^
The burgundy body suit I only added so that she wouldn't look nude. ^^;

Originally opted for a trident, but switched to an energy flail instead (which can be hardened into a trident, but she usually prefers the flexibility of its current form).

Will talk a little more about her later. ^^

I actually always envisioned her (or I should say a BSD-tan) wearing a scarlet colored leather body suit ;) With high-heeled boots, too...or maybe I'm just thinking of the Devilettes that dress up at BSD promotional events XD

I like her energy stream/trident, too :D

Anyhow, here's my idea for Inferno-chan (and a dressed-up Plan 9-san, too):

I drew her as older that you explained...maybe a teenager or something...and I kinda see her with dark, brownish-red hair and light eyes (blue or gray)...

QuoteOh nononono, my dear Aurora-dono. ^___^
The yellow spiky-haired BSD-tan is OpenBSD -- in other words, FreeBSD-tan's sister. She'll be drawn separately, along with NetBSD -- they make something of a Tantalizing Trio.... ^>^

Good news...someone's done OpenBSD for you!

Quote(Note: PC-BSD and Desktop-BSD don't live with them, so they're not included... -v-)

Don't tell me they're Unix/Linux defectors ;)

C-Chan

QuoteI actually always envisioned her (or I should say a BSD-tan) wearing a scarlet colored leather body suit  With high-heeled boots, too...or maybe I'm just thinking of the Devilettes that dress up at BSD promotional events XD

Yeah, that's also how Kami-Tux drew her FreeBSD.  Might have to end up doing the same since I have zero ideas,... w

Well,... guess I'll need to hit the fashion web pages again....  -.-'

*masculinity decreases 25 point*

QuoteI like her energy stream/trident, too

Thank you,... yeah, that was a last minute replacement of a rather bland-looking trident.  ^^

OpenBSD-tan has her nightsticks (which actually conceal bladed ends), whereas NetBSD-tan will be the only one wielding a conventional trident (well okay, not quite "conventional").  

Oh, and almost forgot DragonflyBSD-tan, who likes to tag along with the group just for the heck of it (even though she's easily outclassed by the Tantalizing Trio).  Her trident is particularly fancy.  ^^

QuoteI drew her as older that you explained...maybe a teenager or something...and I kinda see her with dark, brownish-red hair and light eyes (blue or gray)..

*GASP*  No?  OvO
Bella-san drawing teens and young adults?!  I've never seen this before!  Surely the end is nigh!!  O.O

Haha!  Sorry, just pulling your tail (makes sense since you're a Cheetah).  ^__^'

In fairness, the majority of the stories I planned for the UserSpace Gang take place quite a while ago, so it's only natural that Inferno-chan grows up.  Course, now that means she's a lot smarter and can probably begin throwing her weight around.  Â¯v¯

I do have to disagree on the color scheme -- when you think inferno, surely you must think flames, fire, lava and the like.  Consider brighter, more vibrant colors (say orange or yellow eyes).  Cast away thy worldly bounds, and be bold,... striking... death-defying!  ^V^

Oh, and Plan 9 needs her bunny ears.  ^.^
I'd recommend curving them downwards, since I think it would accentuate her mature look this way (pointing them upward Mikuru style is too cutesy for a character like her).  @v@

QuoteGood news...someone's done OpenBSD for you!

Uh,... ano,.... hai..... yeah,.... I kinda.... knew about Puffy-san ages ago....  Â¬Â¬

Just needs more moe, so I'll see what I cando.  ^^;

QuoteDon't tell me they're Unix/Linux defectors

Au contraire, PC-BSD-tan and DesktopBSD-tan are amazingly close to the Linuces, enough to grate the ears of many a conservative UNIX-tan.  T__T

It's the tantatlizing trio that are technically the rebels (or the loyalists, depending on who's side you take).  ^^'

I should probably note that there is, in fact, an original BSD-tan (a Mamma BSD) from the 1980's, although I've barely given the Trio any thought, let alone the older BSD-sama.  ^^'

Added after 4 hours 31 minutes:

Okay!  Greatly overhauled FreeBSD-tan beta ready!!!!!   ^v^

It looks classy, but it's still all leather.  ^.^
Could use some suggestions about the shoes though,... tried to be cute and appease all parties, but probably ended up making a mess of things. ^.^;

Also, can't believe I forgot her tail before.  ^_________^'

Bella

QuoteI do have to disagree on the color scheme -- when you think inferno, surely you must think flames, fire, lava and the like. Consider brighter, more vibrant colors (say orange or yellow eyes). Cast away thy worldly bounds, and be bold,... striking... death-defying! ^V^

Yeah I do think of fire ;)

QuoteOh, and Plan 9 needs her bunny ears. ^.^
I'd recommend curving them downwards, since I think it would accentuate her mature look this way (pointing them upward Mikuru style is too cutesy for a character like her). @v@

That's why I left them out, at least for the time being...they seemed a bit to...Mikuru-ish XD

QuoteAu contraire, PC-BSD-tan and DesktopBSD-tan are amazingly close to the Linuces, enough to grate the ears of many a conservative UNIX-tan. T__T

Close to the Linux-tans? But I thought....erm...BSD and Linux fans kinda...disagreed with each other in the friendliest of ways...?

QuoteIt looks classy, but it's still all leather. ^.^
Could use some suggestions about the shoes though,... tried to be cute and appease all parties, but probably ended up making a mess of things. ^.^;

Also, can't believe I forgot her tail before. ^_________^'

I like her with the brownish hair...

C-Chan

QuoteYeah I do think of fire

GAH!  XvX

*C-chan collapses*

And after I spent all that time typing up that dramatic monologue, I was expecting an equal dramatic bold, striking, death-defying comeback.....  

Bella-san,... how boring.... ;___;

[dramatically]  YOU MUST THINK OF A RAGING VOLCANIC INFERNO BURSTING STRAIGHT OUT OF THE DEPTHS OF HELL AND DAMNATION!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

...With cute frills.  ^__^

QuoteThat's why I left them out, at least for the time being...they seemed a bit to...Mikuru-ish XD

[Ears turned down] + [smaller than the ones I'm about to show] = [everything alright with the world].  ^__^

My preconcept sketch also has ears like that.  Trust me, it's Mikuru-proof.  ^.^

Besides, not sure what your idea of her personality is, but for my original idea she's basically the antithesis of Mikuru.  No way could you get the two confused.  ^_____^
(more on that later)

QuoteClose to the Linux-tans? But I thought....erm...BSD and Linux fans kinda...disagreed with each other in the friendliest of ways...?

Not nearly as much as the Slackware and the Linspires disagree with one another.  This is the *Nix world, after all,... their kids learn to disagree with one another before they learn to walk or talk.  ^^'

Both PC-BSD and DesktopBSD go to greater lengths to make their systems user-friendly.  Right down to creating a convenient packaging system!  [*GASP*  Horrors!  @o@]

So I imagine those two hang around with the more liberal-minded crowd, to gain new ideas, try out cutting-edge, and make young new friends (and not the old stuffy types)....

QuoteI like her with the brownish hair...

Thank you, Bella-san.  ^_____^

Um,... anything else,... maybe fashionable..... you could recommend?  ^^;
If not, I'll go ahead and switch to the next girl(s) since I don't have time to finish FreeB-chan up.  -v-
Probably just will do Open, Net and Dragonfly,... you already covered Inferno and Plan B is a weaker mirror copy of Plan 9 anyway.  -v-

Bella

QuoteBella-san,... how boring.... ;___;

[dramatically] YOU MUST THINK OF A RAGING VOLCANIC INFERNO BURSTING STRAIGHT OUT OF THE DEPTHS OF HELL AND DAMNATION!!!!!!!!! ^V^

Yes.

Prone, I am to boring replies.

*stares*

QuoteBesides, not sure what your idea of her personality is, but for my original idea she's basically the antithesis of Mikuru. No way could you get the two confused. ^_____^
(more on that later)

I see her as being incredibly intelligent but often too quirky and unusual for most people to take a liking to her. Although smart, I don't think she'd be very well-spoken (this could be a joke referring to Plan 9 from Outer Space's corny dialogue).

QuoteUm,... anything else,... maybe fashionable..... you could recommend? ^^;
If not, I'll go ahead and switch to the next girl(s) since I don't have time to finish FreeB-chan up. -v-
Probably just will do Open, Net and Dragonfly,... you already covered Inferno and Plan B is a weaker mirror copy of Plan 9 anyway. -v-

Maybe make her shoes a little more interesting...I was thinking she'd look neat with kinda strapy high-heel boots, but I dunno if that'd fit her attitude ;)

C-Chan

QuoteYes.

Prone, I am to boring replies.

*stares*

...................... GAAAAAAAH!!  XvX

*C-chan collapses*

QuoteI see her as being incredibly intelligent but often too quirky and unusual for most people to take a liking to her. Although smart, I don't think she'd be very well-spoken (this could be a joke referring to Plan 9 from Outer Space's corny dialogue).

*snaps hoof in approval* Right on!  ^__~
A lot of my references to her derive from Plan 9 from Outer Space as well, including the saucer she rides in and her love for necromancy (why do aliens need to raise the dead to conquer the Earth or whatever it is that they were doing in the movie?).  ^___________^;

I recall the aliens also spoke rather pompously, although definitely with not much of a lesser degree of corniness than the humans.  ^^;

QuoteMaybe make her shoes a little more interesting...I was thinking she'd look neat with kinda strapy high-heel boots, but I dunno if that'd fit her attitude

Will do!  ^v^
Wasn't terribly inspired with her shoes, so was originally planning on not putting anything, but added that in the last second.  I'm the last person to rely on for hip modern fashion, but I'll see what you mean.  ^^;

*takes down notes*

Still debating on keeping them green or switching to red.

Also may have to rework her clothing yet again -- need about 40% more sass.  ^.^

Added after 1 minutes:

Course, not sure if I can guarantee quick turnaround, so why don't I just start giving you details....  -v-

*starts typing*

Added after 38 minutes:

FreeBSD-tan is the second eldest of the open sourced BSD-tans., but behaves as something of a de facto leader.  She's fun-loving, energetic, witty and spontaneous, and loves going first at everything be it sports competitions, talking in public, singing, or making passes (she recognizes no risk in making a fool of herself).  She gets her work done timely and efficiently (procrastination is unknown to her as well), but exudes a very unprofessional, laid-back, and almost childlike quality doing so that gives people the impression that she's unambitious and irresponsible.

However, she is not stupid -- far from it, she could be considered a closeted genius, smarter even than Plan 9-tan herself!  That she opts to mask it so well has a lot to do with her notion of Freedom, as being able to choose the life one wants rather than to live someone else's ideal of what life should be.

Only in tight situations, or in combat, can one finally come to notice that she strangely makes few if any mistakes, and pops in a brilliant (albeit loosely-worded) piece of analysis.  An opponent naive enough to think he's fighting a scantily-clad boob will quickly find himself suspended over a fiery pit,... which strangely looks like a BBQ pit.

Oh right, should also note that FreeBSD is a glutton and will eat virtually anything (the fact that she can literally burn fat and carbs helps a lot too).  She is supposed to be accompanied by her personal entourage of Daemon-chans (yes, the original mascots), but after a couple of... "incidents",... most of them prefer to stick around the equally-destructive but uncannabilistc Inferno-chan.  She usually gets into trouble trying to make dinner out of OpenBSD-tan's pet pufferfish, or Plan 9-tan's headcrabs (zombie making critters which she launches randomly across the world to spawn more minions -- or at least in theory, since the launch canisters always end up empty for some odd reason....).  

As you know, she uses an energy flail as a weapon now, although she can use a trident just as effectively.  She speaks little of her family, but while she COULD be a contender for the UNIX throne, she appears almost disinterested in it (or in participation in all the backstabbing).  Nor is she as critical of the Linux-tans as her other sisters (OpenBSD-tan, in particular, is highly competitive with them), even though she doesn't hold back at all when she's forced to fight one.  She's more than content to live free ["or die!"  your state's motto, right?] and let the rest of the world run its course.  ^^

On the other hand, she's still a Unix-tan at heart, and is certainly adept at harboring secrets disguised as full transparency.  She,... more than anyone,... loves a good bit of mischief every now and then... `v'

Techno the fox

Just something I've been wondering...

Is Nt-4.0-Sp6-Tan an upgrade of the original NT, or a completely different Os-tan?

By wich I mean, could she be considered Inu-T's little sister being the newest version and all?

Something else I noticed..all the Deja-vu Os-tans have their version on them somewhere (Notice 2k has this little gold pin on her left arm.

C-Chan

Given we do have to draw these at one point or another, I prefer not to branch out TOO much as far as version numbers go.  Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and 2.5 are inevitable since someone already thought of them, but if we can help stifle the tide of additional version offshoots, more power for us.  ^.^

Better to explain them as simple older versions of preexisting OS-tans (like you say, just an older Inu-T).  ^__^

Since we're not fond of willful plagiarists, though, most of us tend not to support any of Deja Vu's designs or concepts.  The artwork is lush and colorful, I'll give you that, and under different circumstances their NT SP6-tan could've been a very welcomed addition.

But as they like to say up north, "If you do the Crime, you gotta do the Time", and in this case it's actually for people who deserve it.  ^^'

Added after 1 hours 13 minutes:

Okay!  Great news!!!  ^v^

A lady friend of mine,... better versed in the ways of contemporary fashion -- helped me with the boots and other visual enhancements.  I do owe her big-time, since the cuteness level has been enhanced 30%, while paradoxically adding a curious amount of maturity. ^__^

The boots are black but are in fact very dark green -- when properly shaded/lighted, it will give off very cool green highlights.  ^.^

Hopefully the gal is fitting her description more and more.  ^__^

Aurora Borealis

Great job with Free BSD-tan's personality, backstory and appearance!

Now that I'm understanding more about the User Space Gang, I know I'm really gonna like them! :D

Bella

I like her so far! The boots are looking nice, too  ;010

Quote*snaps hoof in approval* Right on! ^__~
A lot of my references to her derive from Plan 9 from Outer Space as well, including the saucer she rides in and her love for necromancy (why do aliens need to raise the dead to conquer the Earth or whatever it is that they were doing in the movie?). ^___________^;

I recall the aliens also spoke rather pompously, although definitely with not much of a lesser degree of corniness than the humans. ^^;

Perfect!

QuoteOh right, should also note that FreeBSD is a glutton and will eat virtually anything (the fact that she can literally burn fat and carbs helps a lot too). She is supposed to be accompanied by her personal entourage of Daemon-chans (yes, the original mascots), but after a couple of... "incidents",... most of them prefer to stick around the equally-destructive but uncannabilistc Inferno-chan. She usually gets into trouble trying to make dinner out of OpenBSD-tan's pet pufferfish, or Plan 9-tan's headcrabs (zombie making critters which she launches randomly across the world to spawn more minions -- or at least in theory, since the launch canisters always end up empty for some odd reason....).

Erm...geez...ehhhh...Incidents with Daemon-chans? Cannibalistic?

*thinks*

*puts 2-+-2 together*

*tick*

*twitch*

Makes me think she'd get along perfectly (at least in eating contests!) with XP-sama!

Also...

Pufferfish...

Headcrabs...

*continues ticking*

QuoteAs you know, she uses an energy flail as a weapon now, although she can use a trident just as effectively. She speaks little of her family, but while she COULD be a contender for the UNIX throne, she appears almost disinterested in it (or in participation in all the backstabbing). Nor is she as critical of the Linux-tans as her other sisters (OpenBSD-tan, in particular, is highly competitive with them), even though she doesn't hold back at all when she's forced to fight one. She's more than content to live free ["or die!" your state's motto, right?] and let the rest of the world run its course. ^^

After reading that last part, I can see why she's no big loss to the Unix/Linux families...for heaven's sake, she probably would have eaten Minix-sensei and had DamnSmallLinux-chan for dessert!

J/K!

I'm really liking this so far!  ;010

QuoteGiven we do have to draw these at one point or another, I prefer not to branch out TOO much as far as version numbers go. Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and 2.5 are inevitable since someone already thought of them, but if we can help stifle the tide of additional version offshoots, more power for us. ^.^

Better to explain them as simple older versions of preexisting OS-tans (like you say, just an older Inu-T). ^__^

Agreed!

I, too, like to embrace different renditions of one OS-tan, but I usually explain it as different ages...

Techno the fox

Quote from: "C-Chan"

MEEP!!

*has to hold onto his head to keep from having a cuteness based explosion.*

*Continues staring*

Sorry, I was distracted.

Now, back on topic.

Nice FreeBSD C-Chan!
We always need more Unixes.
Keep up the good work.  ;010

Bella

QuoteNice FreeBSD C-Chan!
Keep up the good work.

Woohoo!  ;010

C-Chan

Sorry Bella-san,... Kitsune-san....

This was the last stop in my OS-tan Discussion Forum Tour, and I'm outta time.  Will have to stop by later to finish up.  ^.^

Also,...

*sniff sniff*

I'm afraid I squandered a bit of time to finish FreeB-chan, and I don't think I can go on any further,... or at least not until November.  ;___;

Same goes for Open and Net, so I'll try to compensate with good descriptions.  If I tried drawing crappy sketches, it'll just defeat the purpose.... -.-

*sniff sniff*

I don't want to impose, but I need a big favor Bella-san,... ;__;

Please accept FreeB-chan's SVG and complete it if you'd like.  Feel free to doll her up more, fix any of my odd color choices, add her to a pictures, etc.

And that goes for anyone else who wants to try their hand at Inkscape editing (I'd ask Aurora, but she's already doing something for me).  Like the system itself, she's now officially Open-Sourced, and ready to make you smile or make you study.  ^__^

Thank you all.... -v-

*trots off thread in a hurry*

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bella

I'm not doing much artistically right now, so I might work on the pic a bit :D

I might make her hair a little redder, and detail her dress some...

C-Chan

Well,... still sleep-deprived, but still have enough energy left to reply to unresponded stuff.  More descriptions still pending, so let me buy more rainchecks... ^.^

*tosses out half-a-billion C-chan points*

QuoteGreat job with Free BSD-tan's personality, backstory and appearance!

Now that I'm understanding more about the User Space Gang, I know I'm really gonna like them!

Fufu... Believe me, young Aurora-dono, you ain't seen nothing yet.  ^^

The majority of my previous story ideas centered around Inferno-chan, although I think I should try to focus on FreeB-chan more since she is, in almost all respects, like the UNIX counterpart of Linux-sama.  Even their ages are similar.  ^___^

QuoteI like her so far! The boots are looking nice, too  

AHA!!!!!!  Now I see a smiley!!!!  ^v^
Surely that your superior fashion sense approves.  ^___^

*eye sparkles mischievously*
Probably also means you didn't like the previous drawings....   `v'
If you see something wrong, don't be afraid to tell me.  With all your wonderful contributions, open-mindedness and peacemaking, you've more than earned the right to be merciless with me.  ^____^

QuoteErm...geez...ehhhh...Incidents with Daemon-chans? Cannibalistic?

*thinks*

*puts 2-+-2 together*

*tick*

*twitch*

Well,... I kinda picture the Daemon-chas as small (1 foot tall, maybe -- basically gnome-sized imps with pitchforks), and hence quite tasty-looking to someone of FreeB-chan's disposition.  ^^'

As for why I gave her that personality quirk,... perhaps if you studied about the OS, you could come up with some odd interpretation from her superior network capabilities.  But in all honesty, it's just a random personality detail to make her not just a tit-for-tat representation of the OS.  ^^;

(besides, she's a devilette... they probably eat like boars [no offense to myself].... ^.^)

QuoteMakes me think she'd get along perfectly (at least in eating contests!) with XP-sama!

Maybe!  ^v^
But bear in mind that XP-sama can still best FreeB-chan as far as gross volume of food.  After all, FreeB's memory requirements are much smaller than XP/Vista -- so while XP-tan needs to eat breakfast, brunch, lunch, linner, dinner and dreakfast just to avoid going hungry, FreeB-chan could  theoretically survive on a bowl of rice today.

On the other hand, FreeB-chan could digest MANY more things than XP-tan.  ^__^
Carbon steel?  Yeah, it's good to have your fiber in the morning.  ^___^

QuoteAlso...

Pufferfish...

Headcrabs...

*continues ticking*

Aaa sou sou,....

Should probably mention that the UserSpace Gang (thanks in part to the need to entertain a younger Inferno-chan) have their realm full of "pets".

From Daemon-chans seeking refuge from their matron, to cute captured Tuxes dressed up as Prinnies (sometimes tossed about to see if they explode), to highly destructive Space Bunnies.  

OpenBSD-tan is hardly as original as her older sister, so all she could contribute was her pet pufferfish:

Even so, FreeB-chan would've still used Puffy-chan to entertain Inferno-chan with a little "sushi theater".

Headcrabs, btw, are cute little aliens from the Half Life games that make squeaky noises, and,... oh yeah, latch onto people's heads and turn them into zombies.  ^^;

Really meant more as cute cameos, since Plan 9-sama has many more sophisticated tools for practicing her necromancy.  However, since she considers them like adorable "Tribbles" of the zombie world, she'll occasionally indulge in the little nod towards a game that could never possibly run in her system (not that she doesn't try to, though...).  ^^;

In HalfLife 2, headcrabs are stuffed into canisters, attached onto rockets, and launched into areas populated by humans.  Plan 9-san tries to do this as well,... but again, is always confuzzled whenever the canisters reach their destinations empty.  She knows it can't be enemy espionage,... since she always has the mighty FreeBSD-tan protecting the rocket..... -.-

Speaking of pets, these are all still separate still from Inferno-chan's own dizzying array of "Inanimates".  Unlike her mother, she doesn't have necromancy skills -- but she can bring inanimate and inert objects to life, and often does so for the wierdest natural phenomenon imaginable.  T___T;

More on that later.  ^^;

QuoteAfter reading that last part, I can see why she's no big loss to the Unix/Linux families...for heaven's sake, she probably would have eaten Minix-sensei and had DamnSmallLinux-chan for dessert!

Who says she hasn't tried?  ^_____^

But no, actually she is a very big loss, but the funny thing is that they don't know it.  ^v^
In fact, few of them realize that the darling-of-the-BSD-family, PCBSD-tan, was trained by the best.  ^__~

The day Linux-sama and FreeBSD-sama can find a way to work together in perfect harmony is the day I offer much pity to anyone trying to stand in their way!  ^v^

QuoteI'm really liking this so far!  

Definitely!  Compared to the sob stories I've given you thus far, Userspace stuff is definitely fun!  ^___^

QuoteNice FreeBSD C-Chan!
Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Kitsune-san!
I believe this would be my second Unix-tan; the first one, I can't call "-tan", so I need to give myself lashings for that.... ^^;

*flagellates 65 times for his blasphemy*

....but yeah, it was always my hope to draw Unices.  Still dying to draw a Solaris-sama.  ^___^

QuoteI'm not doing much artistically right now, so I might work on the pic a bit

I might make her hair a little redder, and detail her dress some...

Thank you very much, Bella-sama!  That means very much to me!  ^v^

With your talent and exploding mastery of Inkscape, I can say with confidence that FreeB-chan is in good hands!  ^___^