Main Menu

Linux Distros

Started by C-Chan, July 19, 2006, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Hello all!

I'm afraid I have to be a nuisance again, but I'd really like to do a little planning ahead.  ^__^'
But hopefully the subject matter will be a bit more fun.  ^.^

I'm assuming the first Linux-tans released during the OS-tan craze were the original GNU/Linux and Lindows (Linspire):

Naturally, the list was bound to expand to other distros as loyal Linux users felt compelled to represent (and rightfully so in most cases!).  Unfortunately, since there are literally HUNDREDS of distributions of Linux, alternative Unix-like systems and Unix-derived systems, it'd probably be easy to lose track of any OS-tans created for any of them.

So if you'd like, please join me in producing a mini repository for all Linux-tans (and Unix-tans, not actually the same thing) that you've encountered over the years.  And if you accidentally mention any distros with NO representative OS-tan, that's fine too (in fact, they'd be just as helpful).  ^___^

I'll start with a text-only list (I'll add pictures once I'm on a computer that'll let me access Photobucket... -_-)

===========

Minix = 0 (prototype of Linux?)
Linux (the original GNU/Linux) = 1, plus an unknown number of variants (including lots in the Gallery) and that creepy penguin monster ("Kami-Tux").
Linspire (fka "Lindows") = 1, with all consistent designs ("Scallion Girl" theme)
Freespire = 0 (still too new)
Arch = 1
Debian = 1 (cute one too, good job Juzo-kun!)
Fedora = 2 (YAY! MY FAV!  -- Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Gentoo = 1
Knoppix = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another floating around at Waka)
Mandriva = 1 (reminds me of a cuter Sabrina the Witch)
Red Hat = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery; I'm sure there's others, though)
Slackware = 1
SUSE = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Ubuntu = 1
Xandros = 0
Yellow Dog = 0 (although the name screams for inspiration)
Solaris = 1? (Unix-derived; not Solaris specifically, but the Gallery has a Sun Microsystem-tan, so I'm assuming she also represents Solaris)
SunOS = 0 (but same as Solaris anyway)
BSD = 1? (original Unix-derived, not the later versions; seems to be one referenced at Wiki discussions, but it's not a very clear sketch)
FreeBSD = 0 (sure at least one has to exist out there)
OpenBSD = 1 (saw a punk-like sketch at Waka, but could've been something else)
NetBSD = 0
Unixware = 0
Plan 9 = 0
Inferno = 0

Alfamille

RPM=0
CRUX=0
NimbleX=0
Puppy Linux=0
BlueCat Linux=0
Linux XP=0
Xebian=0

C-Chan

Yo Alfamille!  Hisashiburi!  ^__^

Actually, you're post reminded me that I had this topic out there!  Even forgot to add the pictures, although I'll still have to handle that later!  ^-^'

Looked up RPM (Red Hat Package Manager?) and it doesn't seem to be an actual OS, so I'm afraid an RPM-tan won't make the cut.  Xebian, however, while falling more in line with Console-tans, can probably be squeezed in.  ^__-

Anyway, a revised list then:

Minix = 0 (prototype of Linux?)
Linux (the original GNU/Linux) = 1, plus an unknown number of variants (including lots in the Gallery) and that creepy penguin monster ("Kami-Tux").
Linspire (fka "Lindows") = 1, with all consistent designs ("Scallion Girl" theme)
Freespire = 0 (still too new)
Arch = 1
Debian = 1 (cute one too, good job Juzo-kun!)
Fedora = 2 (YAY! MY FAV!  -- Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Gentoo = 1
Knoppix = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another floating around at Waka)
Mandriva = 1 (reminds me of a cuter Sabrina the Witch)
Red Hat = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery; I'm sure there's others, though)
Slackware = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw at Troubled Windows)
SUSE = 2 (Juzo-kun's, plus another I saw in the Gallery)
Ubuntu = 1
Xandros = 0
Yellow Dog = 0 (although the name screams for inspiration)
Solaris = 1? (Unix-derived; not Solaris specifically, but the Gallery has a Sun Microsystem-tan, so I'm assuming she also represents Solaris)
SunOS = 0 (but same as Solaris anyway)
BSD = 1? (original Unix-derived, not the later versions; seems to be one referenced at Wiki discussions, but it's not a very clear sketch)
FreeBSD = 0 (sure at least one has to exist out there)
OpenBSD = 1 (saw a punk-like sketch at Waka, but could've been something else)
NetBSD = 0
Unixware = 0
Plan 9 = 0
Inferno = 0
CRUX=0 (hardcore stuff ^__^)
NimbleX=0
Puppy Linux=0 (cute ^.^)
BlueCat Linux=0 (nekomusume)
Linux XP=0 (this one just screams "OS-tan)
Xebian=0 (xbox junkie)[/quote]

Kami-Tux

FreeBSD-tan exists... or rather: people started drawing FreeBSD-girls... I also saw an OpenBSD somewhere... I stored it but forgot the URL.

Here are some FreeSD-tans: http://ostan.matrix.jp/linux/src.php

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

QuoteFreeBSD-tan exists... or rather: people started drawing FreeBSD-girls... I also saw an OpenBSD somewhere... I stored it but forgot the URL.

Here perhaps? Try the link:
http://ostan.matrix.jp/linux/src.php

Kami-Tux

403-tan is waiting there... metaphorically.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Quote403-tan is waiting there... metaphorically.

That's just part of the site. 403-tan is probably there, somewhere deep inside. The site is at:
http://ostan.matrix.jp/

Kami-Tux

I mean: I got a 403 error. and on this site, I didn't found OpenBSD-tan.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

If you can get to the site, click on Winé¯â€"&Linux&BSD on the left column. That should work.

Kami-Tux

I linked to that page for Beastie-tan, I however did not find Puffy-tan there.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

NewYinzer

Oops. My mistake. I don't know where puffy-tan is. Look around at www.os-tan.com

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Kami-Tux"I linked to that page for Beastie-tan, I however did not find Puffy-tan there.
that's probably because it was created by...an american? lets just say she isn't made in Japan, and I don't know if japanese people visits Wakachan. Also, http://ostan.matrix.jp/, even when its a good gallery, It isn't as updated as other japanese sites.

And I'm expecting someone to post 403-tan here...I haven't seen her yet (her sister, 404-tan, already resides in my HDD :D)

Darknight_88

lol, right in front of my nose -.-

I think I saw it before...but for some reason I just didn't had her on my HDD
*saves pic*

NewYinzer

Quotelol, right in front of my nose -.-

I think I saw it before...but for some reason I just didn't had her on my HDD
*saves pic*

Sometimes the thing you were looking for finds you sometime later.