AMD64 Virtual Machine emulators

Started by Dr. Mario, August 14, 2007, 09:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

I have been trying everything to emulate those da*ning 64 bit DOS on Windows 2000... I have tried every single VM programs, yet - it kept saying "Long Mode unavailable"....

I have an Athlon 64 CPU. I would like to try some of your idea and recommendations - also a way to bypass Windows 2000's current mode (meaning getting VM to hack into CPU's sublayer microcode and have Win2k to hand over Long Mode key so I would be happy - and I would like to test 3.1-sama to see if she could handle 64 bit CPU)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Raffaele the Amigan

As I answered you in the other thread:

http://www.ostan-collections.net/post-35559.html#35559

Try this: HelenOS!

http://www.helenos.eu

About HelenOS

The HelenOS project is an effort to develop a complete and usable modern operating system, yet offering room for experimenting and research. HelenOS uses its own microkernel written from scratch and supports SMP, multitasking and multithreading on both 32-bit and 64-bit, little-endian and big-endian processor architectures, among wich are AMD64/EM64T (x86-64), ARM, IA-32, IA-64 (Itanium), 32-bit MIPS, 32-bit PowerPC, SPARC V9 and Xen 3.0. Thanks to the relatively high number of supported architectures and suitable design, HelenOS is extremely-well portable.

As of now, HelenOS is being developed mostly by faculty and students of Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at Charles University in Prague, but the project is open for everyone. The source code is open and available under the BSD license. Some third party components, and components based on GPL software, are licensed under GPL. There is also a minority of public domain code.

In case you are interested in our project or have any questions about it, feel free to subscribe to our mailing list. The HelenOS operating system is, as of today, feature incomplete and the project is currently under heavy development. We are looking for people to join our team as co-developers or to merely try out our system and become our beta testers. Here are the things that you could help us with.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Dr. Mario

What about running it over Windows sublayer? (I'm developing a OS that can run Linux program and Windows appliance at the same times.) - I only like to work in Windows - to help simplify the OS development. I will also make Windows appliance to handle ATFS partition and run GreenOmega EXE programs.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...