Unix Trial Court Rules: Novell Wins! SCO Loses!

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, August 12, 2007, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Usa Court stated that all copyrights of Unix and UnixWare belongs to Novell.

Source: OSNews.

These are great news people!  ;010

;019  ;019  ;019  ;019  ;019
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

C-Chan

Ah sou sou, I read about that as well.  ^__^

I know Novell is no SCO, but still I can't sleep 100% soundly tonight only because Novell also signed that harrowing deal with M$.  I'm only praying they're simply playing M$ for a sucker (in the hopes, perhaps, of stealing their business as any decent predatory company would do.... ^.^; ), and have no intention of perhaps.... you know.................. SELLING the UNIX and Unixware copyright to M$ for some quick cash..........  ^______________^;

Raffaele the Amigan

Novell SuSE Linux it is a great partner of Microsoft...

But the Court Trial raised by Novell was a move to help the Linux world against the claims of SCO...

...and also this move defended IBM position in another trial opposing IBM versus SCO...

Again recently Novell had coming close to IBM, and also it has been stated in  rumor news that Management of Novell see positively any chance to be acquired by IBM.

Also Novell and IBM started a partnership to strenghten Linux position on the market and distribute Linux solutions worldwide.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/080707-linuxworld-ibm-novell-strengthen-desktop.html?inform

This could mean that Novell it is diverging from Microsoft positions, and it could be the starting of a new alliance to help Linux to diffuse worldwide.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Bella

QuoteI know Novell is no SCO, but still I can't sleep 100% soundly tonight only because Novell also signed that harrowing deal with M$. I'm only praying they're simply playing M$ for a sucker (in the hopes, perhaps, of stealing their business as any decent predatory company would do.... ^.^; ), and have no intention of perhaps.... you know.................. SELLING the UNIX and Unixware copyright to M$ for some quick cash.......... ^______________^;

As much as I'd love to see M$ finagle a Unix-like (or Unix) kernel into Windows (or a new OS), I think that the implications to Linux and open source would be terrible...

Since M$ would be like a many-multi-billion-dollar SCO group with a unlimited team of lawyers and a maniacal need to dominate the market  O__o

A quote from Wikipedia (on Unixware):
QuoteFor some time in the early 1990s UnixWare was one of the "three pillars" of Novell's long-term business strategy, as Ray Noorda put it, they were "NetWare, UnixWare and AppWare". At the time their traditional cash cow, NetWare, was rapidly being displaced by Windows NT-based servers, and Novell was trying to diversify. During this time Novell's chief executive spent much of the company's war chest to purchase suites of products the company could use to "take on" Microsoft both in the marketplace and in the courts. It has been suggested that the strategy was partly influenced due to a personal dislike of Bill Gates by Novell's Chief Noorda.[citation needed]

Hoohoohoo...