The lighter side of computers

Started by Bella, April 28, 2007, 10:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteI knew it! I knew it! Live proof that those Worst Buy bastards ravage poor K8! Fiends!! Scoundrels!!! Scallywags!! ^0^

Where are they?! I'll give 'em a piece of my mind! And a knuckle sandwich,... or make that a whole panini! `0'

I'm just glad all K8's memory is intact :P

QuoteI took a programming course for my second semester in school. When I went in my class for the first time, my keyboard was missing the escape buttion and an arrow key. It had some broken buttons and two of arrow keys were backwards. It took my school a month to give me a new keyboard. XD

At least it wasn't missing anything really important...hehe...

As for funny stories, a few days back I showed my friend SAM Linux running Beryl.
Friend: "This must be what a Mac is like."
But it gets better.
My dad: "And this isn't even made by Microsoft!"
My response...something like: ;040

Random quote:

"Apple...more like a crabapple to me"

(a friend said this after seeing a really little Mac notebook in a TV ad...it did look quite small...)

troubled_tux

friend: may i borrow your flash drive
me: sure. you can also boot from there if you want.
friend: cool... (looks confused)
me: I have Ubuntu there.
friend: (looks worried) is that a virus?
me:  ;015

Kami-Tux

I found this gem on daujones and will just summarize it:

Big Boss: What does 'rtfm' mean? Someone replied that to me after I asked a question in an online forum
Exploitee: Was that $forum at $time?
Big Boss: yeah
Exploitee: Are you in a good mood?
Big Boss: Of course!
Exploitee: Is everything okay at home? Children are doing well?
Big Boss: (confused) yeah
Exploitee: good, rtfm means 'read the fucking manual' and means that the question is both trivial and answered in the documentation.
Big Boss: (starts becoming angry)
Exploitee: Oh, and the person who said that, that was me.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

The dialogue says it all ^-^

Me: "The ethernet card you supplied doesn't work under Linux."
Tech Support: "Have you installed the DOS drivers?"
Me: "I'm using Linux, so the DOS drivers won't work."
Tech Support: "Why not?"
-Tsu

C-Chan

Fufufu... kinda reminds of the time a coworker reneged to try out Linux cause she couldn't afford to "buy a new computer and software".  ^^;

.......................... ^__________________^;

^^;

She tried it out eventually, though. ¯v¯

Bella

^^^

Sounds like my dad when I told him about Linux'.

"And how much will this cost?"

Tsubashi

People who don't know what linux is are so funny!

My Friend: "What's that operating system?"
Me: "Linux."
My Friend: "You better uninstall it!"
Me: "Why?"
My Friend: "The government uses Linux to look through your computer and see your every move. They use it as a security camera into your world."
Me: "...."
-Tsu

Bella

QuotePeople who don't know what linux is are so funny!

My Friend: "What's that operating system?"
Me: "Linux."
My Friend: "You better uninstall it!"
Me: "Why?"
My Friend: "The government uses Linux to look through your computer and see your every move. They use it as a security camera into your world."
Me: "...."

Oi. I hope he was joking  o_o

I first heard about Linux several years ago, mentioned in an IBM commercial. I thought it was some sort of mainframe computer or something, XD

C-Chan

Ah man, and I just ate...!  X__X

Now where's  wastebasket when you need one....?  oX___Xo

*scurries off frantically*

*censored*

*trots back, looking sickly*

That reminds me, this isn't so much a silly story, but just an interesting thing my friend asked today while I was demonstrating VirtualBox at work (we played a game of chess on a virtualized Ubuntu after hours).  While I was discussing this and that, he asked me if one could install Linux as a "primary system".  

Answer:  not only is that possible, but I've been doing it for 2 years now... ^___^
In fact, on my computer I got it backwards,... I have Linux hosting Windows inside Virtualbox... ^.^

Bella

Some "Windows Zealot" gold from my father (on getting a stable "work computer" in the future).

Pops: You know, I'd need a really reliable computer. Like an Apple.
Me: O__o "But you hate Macs!"
Pops: "It's not that I'd want to use one, it's that I'd have to!"
(Note: doesn't that sound like a Windows line?)
Me, thinking: *Omigod, hell is going to freeze over any day now...*

C-Chan

Fufufu... now all we need is for pigs to fly.  ^___^

*mysteriously sprouts wings*

What the deuce?!  @___@

*floats away*

Huh?!  WHA--?!!  HELP!!!!  >0<

Bella

QuoteFufufu... now all we need is for pigs to fly. ^___^

*mysteriously sprouts wings*

Well he has a valid point...he wants a machine that can run PS fast and flawlessly and is rock-steady stable (both hardware and OS).

Or, it may just prove a personal point that a lot of close-minded "zealots" actually have many misgivings about their OS.

Another funny thing I found out while traveling...

I have M$ Encarta Encyclopedia 2003 (so old!!!) installed on K8.

Many people think Wikipedia's corporate articles are very un-neutral. But I swear I've never seen anything like Encarta when it comes to glossing over the truth.

As a lark I searched for "Windows ME"

And surprise, not one article, not on paragraph, not one mention of ME. So I looked for XP. Yippee! On mention! I felt very adventurous, so I looked for Linux. Hey! Here under Unix! It says it's a OS (c'mon, everyone knows it's a KERNEL!), made by Linus Torvalds and collaborators worldwide. DEC had a very brief article, but with no mention of any of their OSs. And, oddly, I thought the Apple/Mac articles were rather pleasant (while not very informative).

Bella

It was funny; Yesterday I put my laptop, K8, on the kitchen table for the night, and later someone placed my Aunt's iBook right next to it. Next morning I joked to my Grandfather, "awwww, cute, our computers are cuddled up!"

He joked back, "You better watch it, in about 9 months, they're going to have some little iPods."

C-Chan

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS