Random PC Questions

Started by Laevatein, February 19, 2007, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I'll try those tips. My computers going to the "shop" for some near end-of-warranty repairs, and there's guarantee K8 will come back without having the HD reformatted O__O

C-Chan

ShOp?!!!
[No] GuAraNtEe?!!!  O_o

Did I miss something, Bella-san?  ^^;

Bella

QuoteShOp?!!!
[No] GuAraNtEe?!!! O_o

Did I miss something, Bella-san? ^^;

What I mean by “shop” is the Best Buy repair facility in Kentucky. K8 has been sent off to get a variable laundry list of repairs done while still under warranty. Unfortunately, they give no guarantee they won’t format the HD, or replace the computer for an identical model if there are too many repairs to be done. Since K8’s maladies are garden variety screen and keyboard problems, I doubt they’ll replace the entire machine.

Right now I'm on DY, a slow but reliable HP laptop running XP.

C-Chan

Waah?!!!  @v@'
No guarantee they won't reformat your HD?!!!  O__o
So exactly what is it that you're paying for if they can't even protect your data?

I tell ya, those repair people can be vile things.  -v-
Which is why it's worth the investment to learn how to fix your own computer hardware, warranties be damned.  With the right expertise, even an unbootable machine can be resurrected, and an entire hard drive can be imaged to s safe location before submitting it the mercy of Worst Buy tech support.  -v-;

Which reminds me, they really did end up charging my friend $250USD for ridding her Windows system of some viruses, so they are officially crooks in my book.  Thanks to them, I won't be able to show her PCLInuxOS until she finally ends up squeezing her money's worth out of that money pit.  TvT

(at that price, it would've been worth it more to just buy another eMachine)

Bella

The extended warranty was only $300.

Best $300 EVER. New motherboad, AC adapter, hinges (the hinges were cracked), and this was in the fist six months. emachines doesn't have a long and distinguished legacy of hardware excellence :(

Ironically, the software/OS has been 100% stable. Except for the time when the motherboard went, and that's another story...

C-Chan

Ah yeah, I know, I told her that eMachines were pretty crummy, but she bought it anyway cause she said she would only use it for internet access (same for her son).  

That's why I joked that, for $250 USD, she could get a Wii with Wii Sports plus an Internet browser.... ^v^

Now that you reminded me, I think she even purchased one of those "high-end" models of eMachines.  Guess you can say it's one of those consumer mental paradoxes that make these companies so much money.  ^^;

Don't get me started on my tech support, cause she called up Worst Buy the evening AFTER I volunteered to fix her system and give her Knoppix to keep her company till my arrival the following day.  -v-

Next time her son breaks her machine again, I'll try to recommend the exact opposite of what she needs to do so that maybe she'll get it right this time.  -v-

Bella

Does anyone know of a good freeware spyware and/or adware blocking/finding program (that's not AVG anti spyware)?
Nothing that will slow down my computer's performance or anything (cause all K8 has are a couple adware).

C-Chan

Sou.... I'd have to find out.  Personally haven't used apps like that in a while, and besides I usually just use Ad-Aware basic since I don't mind running a manual scan for trojans/worms/etc. every once in a while.

(I'm guessing you need a continous active scan, which is only available in the premium version of Ad-aware).

Silentbob

Despite the rather deceptive name, SuperAntiSpyware works well for removing spyware.   Though I've never tried running it resident though.

Bella

Thanks! I should give one of those a try.

At Best Buy they wanted to sell me $260 anti-virus/spyware/adware suite plus removal (citing 2 adware and some security problems with IE, which I don't even use...I don't even know where it went!). Needless to say I just about laughed.

Christopher

same i have no idea ;020

NewYinzer

QuoteAt Best Buy they wanted to sell me $260 anti-virus/spyware/adware suite plus removal (citing 2 adware and some security problems with IE, which I don't even use...I don't even know where it went!). Needless to say I just about laughed.

Word to the wise - NewEgg is better than Best Buy!

Acher13

i was wondering, what's the best media player for windows?
right now im using iTunes but each time i opened a folder during playing a song , it'll stop the song from playing

Bella

Quotewas wondering, what's the best media player for windows?
right now im using iTunes but each time i opened a folder during playing a song , it'll stop the song from playing

I'd say Windows Media Player (11?)

The download's right on the Windows website...

Gummster

If it's for windows then I would say winamp, it's small, simple and convenient