Main Menu

lolifox

Started by rpb3000, May 13, 2006, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidas

Quote from: "Exa"I'm not an anti-Microsoft person (don't have serious problems with their OSes), but as I experienced, firefox/lolifox is a bit more stable.

lol Fox actually crashes the most for me XD I mostly use lolifox for DTA

CaptBrenden

bet the admins of those sites hate you :P
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

NejinOniwa

I'm no browser fanboy, but there's nothing else out there that beats FF or FF-builds in functionality and/or flexibility. I don't recall IE7 having thousands of very useful extensions to easily install - do you?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CaptBrenden

like what?

I just remember it was a pain in the ass to learn to use so i sopped, as IE did what i wanted just fine.

Gummster

The thing about firefox is as Nejin said comfortable because of the extensions given by the community, and CaptBrendan did you really try to learn to use firefox, because it is quite easy to use.

Nidas

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"bet the admins of those sites hate you :P

Probably :p Its especially good for imageboards but it works great on some anime download sites too. I think Opera can do the same, but like I said earlier, Opera renders some sites poorly because most sites are designed primarily with IE and Fox in mind.

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"like what?

I just remember it was a pain in the ass to learn to use so i sopped, as IE did what i wanted just fine.

For most people, the biggest advantage of Fox is that with a couple of plugins you can block almost every ad on the internet ;010 Most people though, after using Fox for a while, do make more use of the plugin system. Not that IE is really all that bad, I still have to use IE6 at uni, so if thats working fine for you theres little point in changing I guess

Tsubashi

QuoteI just remember it was a pain in the ass to learn to use so i sopped, as IE did what i wanted just fine.

What is there to learn? It's a browser! Type and Click! and extensions? it's all XML and ECMAScript. I don't understand what's to learn.

Another advantage to firefox is it's cross-platform. M$ dropped IE for Mac back in 2003, and they've never made one for Linux. To use IE you either have to fanagle it into Wine, or run some emulator. Too much hassle for what it's worth, IMO.
-Tsu

IanDanKilmaster

I don't think there's as much to complain about Windows as many people say there is, but I will say that IE is crap.  IE was great when it was doing NEW things, but now that is no longer the case.  Hell, Firefox may crash more than Billy Joel, but at least it's doing new things (and yes, tabbed-browsing is not one of them).  That being said, I don't think a debate over who has the best browser is ever going to persuade anybody of anything.  Really, it all more or less boils down to a matter of personal preference.

QuoteAnother advantage to firefox is it's cross-platform. M$ dropped IE for Mac back in 2003, and they've never made one for Linux. To use IE you either have to fanagle it into Wine, or run some emulator. Too much hassle for what it's worth, IMO.

Yeah, WGA hates Wine, if a Linux user really feels they need to run IE, he can just skin Fx to IE 6/7  and just download the User Agent Switcher Add-On and they're all set... kidding.  While I'm impressed some people have found a way to get around all the problems of running IE in Wine, I just don't see the point (other than web design).

The Choice of a New Generation.

CaptBrenden

QuoteWhat is there to learn? It's a browser! Type and Click! and extensions? it's all XML and ECMAScript. I don't understand what's to learn

Okay...  Either A) I have to  learn to use it because it is differnt then IE or B) it is not differnt from IE and thus I dont need to switch to it.

So.... mind explaining that?

QuoteAnother advantage to firefox is it's cross-platform. M$ dropped IE for Mac back in 2003, and they've never made one for Linux. To use IE you either have to fanagle it into Wine, or run some emulator. Too much hassle for what it's worth, IMO.

I use windows... it came with it. no hassel there.

QuoteI don't think there's as much to complain about Windows as many people say there is, but I will say that IE is crap. IE was great when it was doing NEW things, but now that is no longer the case. Hell, Firefox may crash more than Billy Joel, but at least it's doing new things (and yes, tabbed-browsing is not one of them). That being said, I don't think a debate over who has the best browser is ever going to persuade anybody of anything. Really, it all more or less boils down to a matter of personal preference.

What is crap?  If your going to state a point you need to say why.  Because it isnt new?  I guess I dont need a constant supply of shiny new things to be happy. I prefer a refined debugged more stable program then one thats twitchier then a singapore hooker on crack.  But she stands on her head while juggling!! Its new!  BUT.... I dont need it, so why do I change?  If it aint broke, dont fix it.  If I dont have a problem, why would I take the time to uninstall the browser I have, download a new one, learn its differences, deal with its crashes...?  I see no need to switch to fire fox and I really dont see the strong argument AGAINST  IE.

NejinOniwa

Well, that have been the case...

...if FF DID crash like billy joel on crack.

Which it does not.

In fact, it is way more bugless than IE since it's got WAY more people working on it constantly and providing bugs and fixes, fixing new bugs in at most a week - while IE STILL has bugs left unfixed that's been there and been known since the release of SP1.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"
...if FF DID crash like billy joel on crack.

Well, I never said anything about crack (^_^').  I was just trying to acknowledge that while Fx is a terrific browser, it's not w/out it's faults.  Of course, my assessment may not be entirely fair due to the fact that I put my browser through hell with all the tabs I usually have open at once (currently 10, but can usually go up to 30).  Like it or not, Opera (which is no longer shareware/adware) does a much better job of managing tabs (uses a lot let less memory, I've tested this).  Regardless, I still prefer the advantages of a customizable browser like Fx.

As far as my statement regarding IE doing new things, I was referring to the fact that it hasn't introduced any original ideas in a looong time.

QuoteIn fact, it is way more bugless than IE since it's got WAY more people working on it constantly and providing bugs and fixes, fixing new bugs in at most a week - while IE STILL has bugs left unfixed that's been there and been known since the release of SP1.

Indeed, and if you're using XP or below, you also have to contend with it's integration within the Windows OS, which means your entire OS can be compromised by finding an exploit in IE (note: this problem was solved with Vista, where IE is sandboxed).  Installation of IE7 versus Fx is also lame, downloading and installing Fx can take up a maximum of 30 minutes on dial-up whereas the same process with IE7 can take well over an hour (the download is larger, the install requires a reboot where M$ "verifies" your OS).  The installation of IE7 also requests you turn off anti-virus protection, so it can run the default virus scanner during the reboot (which is great isn't it?).  These, among others, are only the problems with version 7, don't even get me started on IE6.

The Choice of a New Generation.

CaptBrenden

again... everyone says its buggy.. but i dont have a problem with it. Im not sure wha you people do to IE to crash it, but it dosent crash on me.  So basicly, I have no reason to change, because no one has given me a reason of why FF is better.

Tsubashi

You know, you are right. For an average user, who has no idea what they are doing, IE is fine (If they're running windows). It comes built into the OS, and is about as stable as the rest of the system. Plus they probably wouldn't know enough to actually take advantage of the security benefit Firefox offers, nor it's utter expandability.

For everyone else, Firefox is a good alternative. It also has arguably better benchmarks than IE, and (Depending on the system) some other browsers too.

Still, there is nothing we can say or do to convince you:
Quote from: "A Wise Person"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

somehow, that feels like an insult.

Tsubashi

I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to be. Work's been stressful, and I'm actually quite sick at the moment. Please forgive me for my rudeness
-Tsu