Main Menu

Linux

Started by s8man, January 26, 2007, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

No problemo.  ^__^
I actually tried DSL-chan recently as well,... although since it was during the installation of eComStation, I didn't devote much time to it.  

The level of user-friendliness for novices is a bit suspect (although the big fuzzy firefox on the desktop is a sight for sore eyes... ^__^) -- however, it is the most famous mini distribution, since the base operating system itself is only 50mb large (with room for expansion, of course).  Naturally, you're not going to get beautiful-looking GUIs in a full-featured OS crammed into a 50meg footprint (it kinda looks like the old user-created GUIs for old MSDOS programs), but it's precisely because of this that you can install the OS to any system as far back as a 486!!  ^v^

Besides, once you do become a veteran user, all the service, diagnostic and hacking tools you need will be at your disposal -- and the ability to mount it on a USB certainly helps with the portability.  ^__^

Other distros are a little larger, but can still fit in modern USB sticks.  PuppyLinux, for instance, has a base install size of up 90MBs -- yet I heard is slightly more user-friendly AND fast.  (and I guess it has puppy-themed wallpapers too...^.^)

Others like Linux SystemRescue and Knoppix can be stripped down to fit in a USB stick (unless the stick is big enough to hold everything).

Do bear in mind that the older the hardware, the less likely the chance it will recognize flash drives.  In which case, anything that boots of a USB flash drive can also be put on a LiveCD.  And as far as Live CDs go, Knoppix is king.  ^___^

Added after 25 minutes:

System requirements for Linux is a bit of a murky topic.  All Linux distros will work on any x86 system,... even if the hardware is too old, new or just plain odd to be used automatically, you can at least operate Linux via the TTY (like DOS).

Even though you would think you couldn't accomplish much with command prompts, Linux (and Unix for that matter) does in fact do EVERYTHING via command prompts (it's just that the GUIs handle all that hasty typing for you.... ^__^).

Heck, you can even access the web and visit this site via the command prompt!  ^v^
(accessing the web via command prompt is actually essential for troubleshooting the reason why you're stuck in TTY.... -v-')

So when it comes to "system requirements', it really boils down to which COMPUTER MODEL you're using.  If you need it on standard x86 systems, most distros are geared towards them.  64-bit machines, however, may need the versions tailored for them.

However, if you need to add Linux to your old classic Mac or Morphos setup, you'll have to find a Linux distros tailored to PowerPC architecture.

Need to install Linux on your old Palm or iPod, that'll require one of the embedded systems designed for it.

Have an ARM computer that a British friend gave you?  ARM Linux is there to rescue you.  ^.^

You set up a mainframe and don't want to splurge on z/OS?  Linux for S/390 can help, as well as enterprise versions of SUSE or Red Hat.  (Although once you're on that business level, you might as well splurge on a dedicated Unix system,... in reality, you're actually getting both Linux and Unix systems set up these days since IBM is amazingly friendly towards open source.)  -v-

BTW, FreeBSD and Fedora Core I hear are not user-friendly.  Fedora Core is a free fork of Red Hat Linux, which is a business-level operating system; FreeBSD is a free fork of the freely-distributable version of BSD (Berkley Unix).  Both are adored by hardcore Linux/Unix enthusiasts for their power -- but as you can imagine, whatever the dieharders like, you would probably hate (at least initially... ^.^).

Worse is full blown Debian or Arch Linux, although I guess they still don't hold a candle (in terms of pain-in-the-assedness) to the original pre-System III Bell Labs UNIX.  -v-;

IanDanKilmaster

Thanks for the info, you guys have been really helpful.  Hell, I might actually turn into half-decent Linux user after a month here. ^_^

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

More power to you, my friend!  ^v^
Open Source is the way of the future -- whether people want to or not, there are nearly a billion people in the emerging market that are getting exposed to it and know nothing else but it.  ^.^

And at this point in time, there's no reason why you shouldn't make a digital product free, especially since you (as a business) can still make money selling the tangible hardware.  -v-

Added after 11 hours 28 minutes:

BTW, before I sound TOO much like a smart-ass, I should probably disclaim that I'm still relatively new to Linux.  Up until a few days ago, when I forced myself to dual-boot Kubuntu on my primary machine (to use my junk computer to test out eComStation), I essentially used Xubunutu for minor play and torrent downloading.  Before that, I had a SUSE Linux installation sitting around not doing much.

I only know all this because I create custom OS-tans and have to research this stuff to know what I'm doing.  ^____^;

However, so far so good here with Kubuntu, and every day I'm finding ways to fine-tune (like just now I fixed my ATI Radeon drivers, so the windows and screensavers are running smoothly).  ^__^

Anyway, two bits of news, one for you and one sort-of for Kami-Tux....

First off, this tutorial will probably help with all that special key-character thing:

Check out this article, particular the section that talks about the Compose Key in Gnome, and see if it can help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-315984.html

Otherwise, this looks very comprehensive (the guy managed to get his keyboard typing in Old English, for crying out loud!  @o@):

http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Blog/custom-keyboard-in-linuxx11

And as for Kami-Tux, I managed limited Flash support by installing Gnash.  Nothing to gloat about really,... in fact, it's very slow and naturally won't play Google Videos or YouTube,... but at least it allows me to look at www.kitco.com in something resembling its natural glory....

Until at least the 64-bit Flash Player is released, whenever the heck that'll be.... -.-

IanDanKilmaster

I know it's lame that I keep posting in here for tech support, but you guys have been really helpful.  The Ubuntu forums have also been a help, but for some reason I just feel more comfortable posting my problems in here.  I suppose it could be that I know the odds are unlikely that I'll be posting a question that's already been posted before (even though I search the threads in the ubuntu forums thoroughly there's always a chance I could miss something and then be called out for it).  Anyway, given the success of previous advice (even though I didn't say anything about it the tips on keyboard shortcuts worked out well - see "ö" YAY!), I'll probably be saving my questions for here... if that's no big deal ^__^; .

So, my question is, how do you use an icon theme for gaim?  I have already installed a new icon theme for the rest of the desktop (buuf), and I found this gaim theme on gnome-look but I'm not sure how to install an icon theme for a particular program.  No rush, I'm going to try and search around some more to find out what I need to know, but I thank you in advance for any advice you might offer ^__^.

Tsubashi

Hmmm, could be that I'm really inexperienced, but I was under the impression that all one needed to do was to unarchive the files to /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/gaim or /usr/share/pixmaps/gaim (Depending on your configuration)
Then again, Kami-Tux will be along soon, and I'm sure she'll know!
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

If it is just an emoticon-theme:

In Gaim:

1. Accounts -> Preferences

2. Smiley Themes Tab

3. Drag the file you downloaded into the smileys area.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "Tsubashi"Hmmm, could be that I'm really inexperienced, but I was under the impression that all one needed to do was to unarchive the files to /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/gaim or /usr/share/pixmaps/gaim (Depending on your configuration)
Then again, Kami-Tux will be along soon, and I'm sure she'll know!

Yeah, that did it... doi, I can't believe that didn't occur to me in the two days I've been working on this.  Anyway, thanks a million, I now have the messenger themed like my desktop.  I'll probably do a screenshot for the desktop thread.

Kami-Tux

For GUIfications, the wise men, women and tuxes of gnome-look.org said:

Unpack theme into /home/youruser/.gaim/guifications/themes
(Replace youruser with your linux user name).

Now you have theme installed but you have to select it from Gaim menu. In Gaim 2 go to Buddy List and select Tools > Plugins > Guifications > Configure > Themes.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Yay!  The Linux thread is back in action!  ^__^
Facing all those 403 errors on this site, I myself spent the last couple of days reading up on Linux basics.  So no longer does /bin, /dev, /etc, /var and userland sound alien to me; and if for any unGAWDLY reason I accidentally hit ALT+CTRL+F1, at least I know that ALT+CTRL+F7 will return me back to my KDE sanctuary.  ^.^

Practicing on Bash though has been fun,... brings back at least the better parts of my memories with MS-DOS.  -v-

I had been tempted to perhaps switch to Mepis since it presumably offers a better KDE platform than Kubuntu, but I'd rather stick to the greater Ubuntu community since it has (at least as far as I can see) more growth potential, both system-wise and culture-wise.  
Besides, it wouldn't be fair to switch Kubuntu now when the Feisty release is around the corner.  ^__^

Added after 4 minutes:

Ah yes, and while ktorrent was cruel to my old, slow Xubuntu machine, it works like a charm in this one.  I'm loving it!  ^v^

It's like Azureus, but leaner, faster and with no Java glitches or poisonous frogs.  ^.^

Also, Ian, if you haven't tried installing Stellarium or Celestia, please do so (at least Stellarium, which is more polished).  Really more for astronomy buffs, but it's simply awesome what volunteer talent can come up with!  ^v^

C-Chan

Great news!!!   ^v^
Finally got non-Gnash Flash working on my 64-bit Kubuntu!!!  ^____^

But boy, it wa a drag.  -.-

In fairness, 64-bit XP and Vista users have also had some issues with Flash, so I do hope that Adobe eventually realizes that there are hordes of angry and armed AMD64 users who won't take their procrastinating crap for much longer..... `v'

IanDanKilmaster

Okay, now I've got a problem that really really sucks.  Once again, it's a problem that I should have the know-how to fix, but apparently I don't.  Anyway, for some stupid reason after I came back to my desktop tonight (I'm at college right now and I stay home on the weekend) I noticed that firefox no longer displays foreign characters (the umlauts I typed before are now accented A's and the letters in C-Chan's bio are just odd characters now).  I'm not really sure what's going on, any ideas?

Tsubashi

Are you sure its your machine? Have you tried going to other foreign sites? I think it's just the new server, because C-Chan's location says "ãÆ'“ãÆ'³ãÆ'†ãÆ'¼ã‚¸ éâ,¬Â£Ã§â€ºÅ¸" on my display (in three different browsers) but any other site works just fine.
-Tsu

IanDanKilmaster

*slaps head*

I'm starting to feel really stupid, lol.  Yeah, jumped the gun on that one... thanks again.

C-Chan

Oh yeah, this happened in our last server move.  ^.^

Don't worry, Fedora-dono will load Japanese and Thai support pretty soon (cause Japananese and Thai are the two most popular non-Engllish character languages spoken around here lately).  ^___^

I'm actually liking the Firefox 32bit browser a heck of a lot better (seems more stable than the 64-bit edition) so I'm almost tempted to do a full replacement.  -v-
But I guess I'll leave it at that, since it doesn't hurt to keep it around.  ^___^

I'm currently also having trouble accessing this site from work, since there I have to use IE6.  But I'm taking the opportunity to practice using GIMP, since it's very different from using Photoshop.  -v-'
If it proves successful, I might also squeeze in some Krita walkthroughs too.  ^.^

FYI, new version of the marvelous wonderful Inkscape released!!!  ^v^
Just bug fixes, but any news is good news when it comes to that incredible little program.  ^.^

Fedora-Tan

Quote from: "IanDanKilmaster"Okay, now I've got a problem that really really sucks.  Once again, it's a problem that I should have the know-how to fix, but apparently I don't.  Anyway, for some stupid reason after I came back to my desktop tonight (I'm at college right now and I stay home on the weekend) I noticed that firefox no longer displays foreign characters (the umlauts I typed before are now accented A's and the letters in C-Chan's bio are just odd characters now).  I'm not really sure what's going on, any ideas?

It's not your fault don't worry, as C-Chan said, i didn't have time to make all tweaks on new server, but these will be available back very soon for sure  ;010  (at least, i hope :D)