[07/07/19] Kami-Tux's drawings [Newest OS-tan: Comic 5]

Started by Kami-Tux, February 26, 2007, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kami-Tux

May I introduce:

My first OS-tan with shading.

Her name is FreeBSD-tan, she is a girl with a rather bad temper and you do not want to be near her when she is angry. But when she is in a good mood, she is a good-hearted (maybe even a tad naive) person, she is always weady to help other OS-tans if they ask*.

She dislikes the Linux-girls for the same reason HURD-tan and Minix-tan do: She feels they have destroyed her youth by stealing her glory. She dislikes the Windows-girls for political reasons. However she can work together with both**.

Her outfit is based on IRL-'FreeBSD-tans', namely Devilette.

*very liberal license
**BSD-code found its way into both OSes.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Aurora Borealis

Nice job! I especially like how you incorporated OS-related things into your OS-tan's personalities! And It's always great to see artists draw under-represented OS-tans! ;010

Kami-Tux

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

Sugoi! I'm envious of how quickly and efficiently you are able to dispatch so many new tans! Great Job! ^__^

Personally, I like your new shading style, but I understand that it is a bit harder, so it's up to you what you draw! Just keep up the good work! ^o^
Besides, I'm in no fit spot to complain, seeing as I haven't contributed anything yet! ^^'
-Tsu

Aurora Borealis

I like the shading style too. The face is especially well-done and looks 3-dimensional!

And uhh... I didn't know that Devilette was that popular! ^^; But I reckon that's the first time I've seen a rendition of FreeBSD-tan based on her though!

C-Chan

Sweet ZZKami-Tux!!  ^v^
Given my own preconcept sketches, I have to thank you for the pitchfork and long bangs!  The more they appear, the likelier it becomes for that feature to be commonplace.  ^___^

QuoteDevilette is not that underrepresented: http://www.spilth.org/pictures/girls/ceren/
http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/events/2001-LWCE-NY/images/0131/bsd-devilettes.jpg
http://wigen.net/data/bsdmascots/

Right, what Aurora means is underrepresented in the specific [=Japanese Anime] OS-tan community.  In that respect, up until yours, there have only been maybe 3 or 4 FreeBSD-tans drawn at all.

QuoteBy the way, do you prefer that style or my more 2-dimensional one?

Now I see what you meant on the other thread.  ^__^
Any kind of shading improves a drawing -- in her case, it adds a good dramatic atmosphere that goes well with her,... shall we say "devilishness". ^^'

I'd go with this one, but pray tell how you did the shading.  I'm assuming, say in the case of the face, you duplicated the head, superimposed a 3rd shape outlining the highlighted area, created a Difference of the two, then reduced the transparency of the remaining piece.  ^__^

QuotePersonally, I like your new shading style, but I understand that it is a bit harder, so it's up to you what you draw! Just keep up the good work! ^o^
Besides, I'm in no fit spot to complain, seeing as I haven't contributed anything yet! ^^'

*cough cough* bull biscuits *cough cough hack*  -v-

Sorry, got something in my throat.  ^^'

QuoteI like the shading style too. The face is especially well-done and looks 3-dimensional!

And uhh... I didn't know that Devilette was that popular! ^^; But I reckon that's the first time I've seen a rendition of FreeBSD-tan based on her though!

It reminds me of when Raffaele-san asked me why Amiga-tan had no reference at all to Amy the Squirrel, the unofficial mascot of AmigaOS.  The truth of it is that I had no idea Amy existed -- so I wonder if the previous FreeBSD-tan artists based their designs on Devilette or not.  So in a way, it's good that someone better versed in these systems is contributing to their creation.

A good OS-tan is 1/3 art, 1/3 personality and 1/3 presentation.  ^.^

Tsubashi

Quote*cough cough* bull biscuits *cough cough hack* -v-

Sorry, got something in my throat. ^^'

No Thwackings? You must have lost your paper fan! ^^;

I meant drawings. Aside from posts and minor wiki edits, I've yet to upload a picture. ^^'

QuoteSo in a way, it's good that someone better versed in these systems is contributing to their creation

C-Chan's right! you seems to know everything about Opensource systems, so it's really good your here!
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Right, what Aurora means is underrepresented in the specific [=Japanese Anime] OS-tan community.  In that respect, up until yours, there have only been maybe 3 or 4 FreeBSD-tans drawn at all.
Yeah... but this scene, which developped indepedently does also count, that was what I considered funny.

QuoteNow I see what you meant on the other thread.  ^__^
Any kind of shading improves a drawing -- in her case, it adds a good dramatic atmosphere that goes well with her,... shall we say "devilishness". ^^'

I'd go with this one, but pray tell how you did the shading.  I'm assuming, say in the case of the face, you duplicated the head, superimposed a 3rd shape outlining the highlighted area, created a Difference of the two, then reduced the transparency of the remaining piece.  ^__^
Errr, no. Paste at the same location, basically. Then turning it into a path and removing and adding knots as needed.

QuoteIt reminds me of when Raffaele-san asked me why Amiga-tan had no reference at all to Amy the Squirrel, the unofficial mascot of AmigaOS.  The truth of it is that I had no idea Amy existed -- so I wonder if the previous FreeBSD-tan artists based their designs on Devilette or not.  So in a way, it's good that someone better versed in these systems is contributing to their creation.

A good OS-tan is 1/3 art, 1/3 personality and 1/3 presentation.  ^.^

The only rendition I saw of her was very un-Devilette-ish, so I guess they did not. I found her first by wikiing OS-tan :)

QuoteC-Chan's right! you seems to know everything about Opensource systems, so it's really good your here!
Not everything... far from it! I mean, most of the time I only used Linux...

Added after 12 hours 29 minutes:

Guess who that one is :>

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

QuoteNot everything... far from it! I mean, most of the time I only used Linux...

Okay fine, nearly everything. ^__^

QuoteGuess who that one is :>

It's Suse! What a Nifty-Sweet rendition!
-Tsu

C-Chan

Yay!  SUSE-chan, my old girlfriend!  ^__^
I knew we argued a lot about drivers in the past, but all is forgiven!  ^.^

But I am still going out with another distros.... -v-

Anyway, you're really getting into the whole shading thing now,... that's good.  ^.^

But if how you're describing it is how you do it, then maybe if you tried my method it could save you some time.  ^.^

Course, maybe you're able to do that quickly now.  -v-

[
QuoteYeah... but this scene, which developped indepedently does also count, that was what I considered funny.

Haha!  Of course, if I go to a FreeBSD board and ask about OS-tans,... and if I then go to an OS-tan board and ask about Devilette,... and I get a resounding "NO!" from both locations, I'm coming back to give you a nice thwacking.  ^.^

Hehe, just kidding.  ^v^

But seriously, for the most part, reinventing the wheel seems to be a staple of Moe personifications....

*recalls Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-tans and shudders with disgust*

Still, I agree that adding elements of previous "mascots" is more polite.  -v-
Which is why I'm giving Amiga-san a pet squirrel.  ^.^

Kami-Tux

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4560

New OS-Tan uploaded. This is a DOS-tan? yes, a FreeDOS-tan. The blue hair was supposed to be in the form of the FreeDOS-whale while her dress has its color. She has GNU-horns since she is a GPLed OS. She carries a keyboard and peeks around the corner since she will mainly be found in embedded hardware and emulations.

She is almost as shy as MSDOS-tan. She loves eating conventional memory. In contrast to DOS-tan, she is aware of modern inventions like the internet, but not interested. She is member of the DOSSE, but has friendly relations (open feelings, so to say) with the other OpenSource-tans.

Added after 2 minutes:

and only for C-Chan, I made a shaded Amiga-tan: http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4559

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteNew OS-Tan uploaded. This is a DOS-tan? yes, a FreeDOS-tan. The blue hair was supposed to be in the form of the FreeDOS-whale while her dress has its color. She has GNU-horns since she is a GPLed OS. She carries a keyboard and peeks around the corner since she will mainly be found in embedded hardware and emulations.

Wow, another person who made a FreeDOS-tan.  ^___^
Raffaele-san sketched one earlier during your absence.  I'm also due to craft one myself. so I'd like to take elements of both designs to create my rendition.  ^__^

The fish necklace is a cute touch I hadn't considered before.  ^.^

QuoteShe is almost as shy as MSDOS-tan. She loves eating conventional memory. In contrast to DOS-tan, she is aware of modern inventions like the internet, but not interested. She is member of the DOSSE, but has friendly relations (open feelings, so to say) with the other OpenSource-tans.

Hehe,... one could almost say she's more into that "Open Sourcery" stuff than good ol' fashioned DOS tools!  @.@
Egads, who would've thought?! ^__^

Quoteand only for C-Chan, I made a shaded Amiga-tan: http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4559

Thank you Kami-Tux.  ^__^
You shouldn't have, but I appreciate your willingness to shade my girl.  ^.^

Did you use the trick I told you about earlier?  'v'

Kami-Tux

I used the trick you told me about... works good!

New FreeDOS-tan: (WARNING: if you are allergic to horrible geekiness stay clear!)
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4571

(If you do not understand it: DOS in any version can for many things only use the conventional memory and to be able to use more, horrible hacks were required)

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteI used the trick you told me about... works good!

Awesome.  ^__^

I'm currently looking into upping the ante by trying out those shading techniques using Path clones.  It's very cool because, depending on how you morph the original path, the shading morphs along with it (so you don't have to move two separate paths in each every time you shift an arm or something).  Also, the shading using that cloning method is semi-dynamic, so as you shift the arm (for example), the shading updates relative to the new position of the arm (similar to 3D lighting, only less precise).  

It opens up more possibilities.  ^___^

You can see a demo of that technique here:

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.45-3D-rope.png

QuoteNew FreeDOS-tan: (WARNING: if you are allergic to horrible geekiness stay clear!)

Fufu,.. well it's still cute regardless of the uber-geek value you claim.  ^___^

The other ball almost seems to have been set aside for XP (though not likely, since that hardly would amount to an appetizer... ^v^')

Kami-Tux

hehe, yeah, it is much only by DOS-Standards, so maybe it's set aside for Minix-tan, who needs 4 MB for its kernel, buffers and system tasks. Or isn't it proportional? :)

Added after 11 hours 6 minutes:

Warning, new nerdy OS uploaded!

ReactOS-tan:
She wants to be like the Windows-tans, especially like 2k-tan but then she wants to be like her sisters: wild and free(/libre/open source). What does ReactOS-tan do to solve that dilemma?  Dive into nuclear physics to distract herself.

She likes almost everyone but no one really understands what she is up to. The Linux-tans think she is defacing herself and the Windows-tans ignore her despite her attempts to gain recognition.

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4577

In her hands are a geiger-couner and a calculator to indicate her name and multitasking abilities.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!