Random PC Questions

Started by Laevatein, February 19, 2007, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Speaking of which,... *twiddles hooves*... how are the.... *cough cough*.... Amiga "partitions" doing?  ^___^

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Silentbob"Well, trouble started when I swapped from the 6800GT to an X1950 Pro card.  Obviously the xserver wouldn't start, but I knew how to deal with that.  But now, when I try to login, I just get sent back to the login screen every time.   I'm still running Dapper, so I figgered I'd just change to Edgy instead, since it's newer.  I don't have anything I need to keep, as I hardly ever save anything to my Linux partitions.

okay, to get X11 back log in in textmode (Crtl+Alt+F1)

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo xinit -configure

Then start X with the created configuration file (xinit -config $path) if it works, copy the file to /etc/X11

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

panithan

Quote from: "Laevatein"
Another if I may ask... know of any good freeware reg cleaners around?

Tweaknow Regcleaner is the first that come to my mind!
http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

Quote from: "Laevatein"
My reg is rather cluttered with the amount of software I've been installing and removing these past few months, and even with the upcoming reformat would like to keep it clean ^^;; And of course, I'll need it to keep this PC healthy in the future ^^;

The answer is...
System Mechanics 7...Even if it's the 30 days trial version. But it's worth it!
http://www.iolo.com/
note: SM7 also have the registry cleaner too.

Silentbob

Quote from: "Kami-Tux"

okay, to get X11 back log in in textmode (Crtl+Alt+F1)

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo xinit -configure

Then start X with the created configuration file (xinit -config $path) if it works, copy the file to /etc/X11

Ok, I'll give that a whirl, thanks.    :)

Quote from: "C-Chan"

Speaking of which,... *twiddles hooves*... how are the.... *cough cough*.... Amiga "partitions" doing? ^___^

The Miggy is doing fine.   It's over on the other table powered up now, I'm playing some old games and reminiscing.   ;P

C-Chan

Yogatta...  ^__^

AmigaBob, have I said tonight how awesome you are?  ^v^

35,000,000 C-chan points for you for taking good care of your Miggies!  ^v^

And what the hell, an extra 5,000,000 points for being simultaneously both an Amiga user AND an Ubuntu one.  ^.^

The combination is quite lucractive, as you can see.  ^v^

Silentbob

Thanks, that's mighty nice of you my good man.   ;010

* Puts all the C-chan points into bags and lugs them off *

I'm gonna hit the sack now, but tomorrow I'm gonna make an effort and get that Ubuntu installation up and running again.

Silentbob

Well, that didn't work so well (yes, I replaced kdm with gdm as Ubuntu runs Gnome), but it yielded no results, except lots of error messages.  Ok, I shoulda written them down, but there was so much.  And it's Sunday morning, I'm hung over and I'll probably have to give it another try when I feel better.  ;)

Kami-Tux

You can pipe the error-messages into a file by command 2>> file

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Silentbob

Well, for the time being getting Ubuntu running again isn't a problem.  The ATI card suddenly decided to fart in my general direction and apparently start giving me trouble.   The computer locked up while playing a game, I figgered I'd try switching drivers and reinstall some older ones (that works with the card).  I uninstall, reboot, clean and install the other drivers.  The card (or rather Windows) starts whining about how it has some kind of undefined problem in the usual helpful way and refuses to work properly.  So I stuck the old 6800GT card in there and now stuff works again.  I'll troubleshoot later, I can't be bothered right now.  But Ubuntu works again, lol.    I think I'll go with nVidia for my next rig. (Which hopefully is just around the corner).

Xyanide

Hay guys I know how to solve your problems!

-Get windows XP Pro system restore CD from friend.
-Install
-Key doesn't work anymore of course so call Microsoft Activation Helpdesk and say that you just bought a new PC (say it's a Dell) and it has an invalid keycode.
-Key Get!

I kid you not about calling them and simply saying it doesn't work, I did the same.

Bella

Hey, this thread hasn't been used in a while...I'm here to fix that though :D

I want to install Uxtheme Multi-Patcher, so I can get new themes for my computer. I'm running Windows XP SP 2 build 2600, and I've been told that Uxtheme Multi-Patcher can cause instability with build 2600 XP's. Is this true, and if so, is there any way to get around this?

Here's the site:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/UXTheme-MultiPatcher.shtml

NejinOniwa

Hummmmmmm~
I've no experience of using the Uxtheme MP, but I've been using StyleXP a while now which is essentially the same thing...and I'm running the 2600 builds as well, and the only problem I've had is that my bootscreen tells me it's an OS/2 warp compy. So i recommend using that if you're unsure.
Linky here, uploaded by yours truly!
http://rapidshare.com/files/28695128/Style_XP_3.19.rar
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quotethe only problem I've had is that my bootscreen tells me it's an OS/2 warp compy.

Do you dual-boot (using OS/2)? Or use some sort of theme relating to OS/2 Warp? Otherwise, that's a mighty strange problem O___O

NejinOniwa

Neither. There is an option in sxp to change your bootscreen, but there's no OS/2 one on the list and I've tried changing it to others as well. It doesn't work at all...so yes, it's a mighty strange problem ^-^ But it doesn't really do much anyway, so I'm not bothered by it.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Kami-Tux

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!