Main Menu

Favorite Song?

Started by CanaryTan, January 30, 2011, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

...and now a sequel a post I made in this topic back in 2014, specifically on the bit at the end discussing Meat Loaf:

So, a couple weeks ago I stumbled onto a copy of Meat Loaf's final album, Braver Than We Are from 2016, and picked it up out of curiosity; as between the cover art, and with the dream team of Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman working together once more, this was in essence Bat Out of Hell IV in all but name. Thus, I was curious over how well this song stacks up to the trilogy, and also the statement on the back cover of "this record is explicit and politically incorrect" had me wondering how far he went with this one (Spoiler; there's really nothing here content wise that's any more extreme than what's on the Bat trilogy...aside from him saying "fuck" exactly once in the opening track, Who Needs The Young; a song that feels like a villain song from a musical).

Many of the songs contain subtle callbacks to the earlier trilogy, primarily the first album; for example, Going All The Way (A Song in 6 Movements) featuring vocals provided by both Ellen Foley and Karla DeVito (Whom performed with Meat Loaf on the album and live versions of Paradise By The Dashboard Light, respectively). Also, strangely, Skull of Your Country (A song I otherwise didn't care for) incorporates the "turn around, bright eyes" bit from Total Eclipse of the Heart; which caught me off guard for how out of left field it felt, even if Steinman also worked with Bonnie Tyler back in the day.

Honestly, the album itself is decent, but never quite reaches the same heights of the original trilogy; for me it kinda feels like half the album is really good and half of it fails to stick the landing. I don't regret buying it, but if I'm in the mood for Meat Loaf, I'd probably reach for my copy of Bat III before this.

Chocofreak13

i imagine that he was trying to reach that level of glory with every song he wrote ever since he got there. this sounds a bit pretentious, but as an artist, i know i've been there. there have been plenty of things i've drawn and written that i look back on and think, "if i can make anything half as good as that is, i'm gonna consider myself lucky." but i also undervalue myself, soooo.....

you're lowkey making me worried to check out Huey Lewis and The News' newer stuff. what if it isn't as good as Sports? ;v;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I mean, I feel it'd be worth looking into at least; after all, Meat Loaf's Hell in a Handbasket (The album released a few years before Braver Than We Are) is honestly really good, and I'm surprised I never heard people talk more about it when it came out.

Chocofreak13

i agree (with 'it's worth looking into'), since given his caliber, it's unlikely that he made ANYTHING that was absolute shit (and if it is, it's probably on purpose and VERY funny).

considering yesterday was Earth, Wind & Fire Day, i have them stuck in my head. kind of flip-flopping between "Got To Get You Into My Life" and "Let's Groove", with the occasional interlude of "Love's Holiday". just like last year, found a bunch that absolutely slap, and this time around i heard a bunch of classics i had no idea belonged to them. mum was also quite surprised that they're still going (and touring, but rn they're only touring in the SE US), and i was a bit surprised and saddened to learn that the founder and frontman has passed away. damn did he have range.

some of my tabs rn are artists i've found out about via reading Kurosagi, as it seems the author has a penchant for naming the chapters after songs by a particular artist (so like, volume one all had songs by the same artist, as did volume two, etc). i haven't investigated them yet, but if i find any gems, i'll share em'. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 22, 2022, 11:27:38 PMi agree (with 'it's worth looking into'), since given his caliber, it's unlikely that he made ANYTHING that was absolute shit (and if it is, it's probably on purpose and VERY funny).

Very true; like a few Weird Al songs that he begrudgingly made to spite his record label, whom kept pressuring him into doing stuff he wasn't interested in. Like, they wanted him to parody Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, but he didn't have any solid ideas for it...and threw together Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch, making that song intentionally awful just to annoy the label.

Chocofreak13

that, ironically enough, puts the song closer to "art", since it was made in protest. xD;

got the Creamy Mami opening stuck in my head since i watched a few episodes earlier, am trying to memorize the song, and they repeat it quite a bit through the series (that old trope of "we can't afford music so just remix the theme song a bunch" ).
click to make it bigger

Hālian He/him

It changes from time to time, but currently it's "Expensify This" by 2 Chainz.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

This song has been stuck in my head

Hālian He/him